Xbox Live Deal of the Week - PGR4 Premium Challenge Pack - 240 MSP

Exu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
217 (100%)
Via Major Nelson

Normally retailing for 400 Microsoft Points, the Premium Challenge Pack is now 240 for this week only. This deal is only available to gold subscribers.
Not bad considering PGR4 is dirt cheap now.

:360: Project Gotham Racing 4 Premium Challenge Pack 240 Microsoft Points

twitter_mini.gif
Click here for CAG UK Twitter Updates
twitter_mini.gif
Click here for CAG US Twitter Updates

(At the time of writing it's still showing up as 400 for me on the Web Marketplace, give it time to refresh or check the dashboard.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Castle Crashers ain't gonna be on DOTW any time soon, people are still buying it.
Heck, last week it came 3rd in the best-selling Arcade games.

What is this 240 crap ?

Why can't they just make it 200, I'm not buying this and having 60points floating about that I can't do anything with !!!

They're not gonna make EVERYTHING half price. This is still 40% off.

That and last week we had NG2 content at 560 so there's your other 40 right there. :p

[quote name='benjamouth']What is this 240 crap ?

Why can't they just make it 200, I'm not buying this and having 60points floating about that I can't do anything with !!![/quote]
It's all part of the plan.

[quote name='Exu']That and last week we had NG2 content at 560 so there's your other 40 right there. :p[/QUOTE] The NG2 mission pack was 30% off.

Im not even going to buy it even though l play it on the weekly basis. This is really only a 25% savings, they purposely fuck this with the extra 60 points going to waste. Plus the game is quite old now.

[quote name='Thrinn']The NG2 mission pack was 30% off.[/quote]

Yes, and the 560 spent from last week's deal will have left some people with a balance ending in 40 MSP, this deal brings it back to a balance ending in 00. Another DOTW somewhere down the line will hopefully end in a 60 for people who have points left over now.

I've had PGR4 for ages now and still haven't played it... should I download this to have it ready when I actually play PGR or will it be cheap by then regardless?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Well it's better than no DotW, glad they decided to do this again.[/QUOTE]

I was all for this at first, and its still better then nothing....but I am starting to wonder if its too little to late. Look at the steam sale threads and see tons of people screaming damn you steam! Every weekend its taking our money because of either huge 75% off sales or because the smaller 30-40% off sales are atleast on stuff like L4D and TF2. Compare it to 30-50% off on old dlc that many feel was overpriced anyways.......and only if your a gold member.....as I said still happy MS is doing this just wondering if its too little too late.

If Braid could mae the list I don't see why Castle Crashers can't. Besides I want more XBLA games or discount for triple A DLC. Like if that prince of persia DLC which is brand new had a discount I'd be all over it.

Common Samuari Warriors 2 XL DLC! I don't want to spend $20 plus on it but I want to finish off that stupid game now that I have it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I was all for this at first, and its still better then nothing....but I am starting to wonder if its too little to late. Look at the steam sale threads and see tons of people screaming damn you steam! Every weekend its taking our money because of either huge 75% off sales or because the smaller 30-40% off sales are atleast on stuff like L4D and TF2. Compare it to 30-50% off on old dlc that many feel was overpriced anyways.......and only if your a gold member.....as I said still happy MS is doing this just wondering if its too little too late.[/quote]

Too little too late for what? There is effectively zero overhead in any of this downloadable content being available. This creates interest and drives sales. What is there to be "too little too late" over?

Why are you even trying to compare what they are doing here to what is happening each weekend on Steam? The two are mutually exclusive. If you aren't a PC gamer, you don't even know what Steam is. If you are a PC gamer and don't own a 360, then why do you care what price Microsoft sets DLC content at?

[quote name='MSI Magus']I was all for this at first, and its still better then nothing....but I am starting to wonder if its too little to late. Look at the steam sale threads and see tons of people screaming damn you steam! Every weekend its taking our money because of either huge 75% off sales or because the smaller 30-40% off sales are atleast on stuff like L4D and TF2. Compare it to 30-50% off on old dlc that many feel was overpriced anyways.......and only if your a gold member.....as I said still happy MS is doing this just wondering if its too little too late.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, they really aren't very agressive with the pricing on this stuff. A lot of the content they are using for these deals of the week, should have had a 50% price drop anyways. I'm glad we are finally seeing some sort of price movement, but they need to go farther.

I would think that it would make more sense to have prices that fluctuate with the demand (like Goozex does with games) so each week you would see a lot of price drops, even if they were incremental. It doesn't make sense to have such a rigid pricing structure when these aren't products out in stores. You would consistently drive traffic the live marketplace, with people frequently checking to see whats changed.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Too little too late for what? There is effectively zero overhead in any of this downloadable content being available. This creates interest and drives sales. What is there to be "too little too late" over?

Why are you even trying to compare what they are doing here to what is happening each weekend on Steam? The two are mutually exclusive. If you aren't a PC gamer, you don't even know what Steam is. If you are a PC gamer and don't own a 360, then why do you care what price Microsoft sets DLC content at?[/QUOTE]

I am NOT a PC gamer and that is the point. I have always hated the PC as a gaming platform because it was uncomfortable, more complicated then it needed to be(patches, hardware issues etc etc) and in general just a hassle. Steam has made it so its not such a hassle and is tossing huge sales our way or on great content. Most people own a PC so if your choice is between getting DLC that many say is overpriced and doesnt add much on XBLA or for like $2 more getting a full game like TF2 on steam....what do you think people are going to pick?

Again I am glad MS is having sales, but given that you must be a gold member you must essentially pay for access to these sales. Then add in that the sales themselves so far have been for 1 game and 2 DLC.....vs comparing the last 3 weeks on Steam which like it or not is a related service where we have seen TF2, Unreal Tournment and World of Goo the last 3 weeks.....it again just strikes me as MS doing far too little too late. If they really want to compete, especially given the fact that you must be a gold member they need to start putting stuff like Castle Crashers, Penny Arcade and other full games up, or discounting the DLC 75% +.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Too little too late for what? There is effectively zero overhead in any of this downloadable content being available. This creates interest and drives sales. What is there to be "too little too late" over?

Why are you even trying to compare what they are doing here to what is happening each weekend on Steam? The two are mutually exclusive. If you aren't a PC gamer, you don't even know what Steam is. If you are a PC gamer and don't own a 360, then why do you care what price Microsoft sets DLC content at?[/QUOTE]

Too little, too late for any type of big sales increase from this price drop. What type of sales increase do you think a store would see if they dropped PGR4 from the $60 original price, to $36 at this point? Too little, too late? Since they have such little overhead, you would think they would be more aggressive with the pricing, especially with content that really isn’t on the consumer’s radar anymore. If they are trying to drive traffic to the marketplace they need less rigid pricing, it makes people more likely to browse through the marketplace.

The Steam comparison is valid, just as bringing up a Sony sale on DLC would be valid. They are still competing “platforms,” despite being on different “systems.” If you see one “platform” holder consistently having huge sales, while the other has very minor sales, it still makes you think about what you are getting for your dollar. Steam has shown huge sales increases, from huge discounts, enough that they can (sometimes) make more profit from the sale, than selling the game full price.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I am NOT a PC gamer and that is the point. I have always hated the PC as a gaming platform because it was uncomfortable, more complicated then it needed to be(patches, hardware issues etc etc) and in general just a hassle. Steam has made it so its not such a hassle and is tossing huge sales our way or on great content. Most people own a PC so if your choice is between getting DLC that many say is overpriced and doesnt add much on XBLA or for like $2 more getting a full game like TF2 on steam....what do you think people are going to pick?

Again I am glad MS is having sales, but given that you must be a gold member you must essentially pay for access to these sales. Then add in that the sales themselves so far have been for 1 game and 2 DLC.....vs comparing the last 3 weeks on Steam which like it or not is a related service where we have seen TF2, Unreal Tournment and World of Goo the last 3 weeks.....it again just strikes me as MS doing far too little too late. If they really want to compete, especially given the fact that you must be a gold member they need to start putting stuff like Castle Crashers, Penny Arcade and other full games up, or discounting the DLC 75% +.[/quote]

Just because most people own a PC, doesn't mean that people game on them. You're acting here like Microsoft has any direct competition on live. There is none. No one else controls the pricing on Live except Microsoft. Who says they want to compete with a PC based platform (Steam)? What exactly would they be competing over? Steam doesn't offer content on Xbox Live, so again, why would Microsoft care?

[quote name='msdmoney']Too little, too late for any type of big sales increase from this price drop. What type of sales increase do you think a store would see if they dropped PGR4 from the $60 original price, to $36 at this point? Too little, too late? Since they have such little overhead, you would think they would be more aggressive with the pricing, especially with content that really isn’t on the consumer’s radar anymore. If they are trying to drive traffic to the marketplace they need less rigid pricing, it makes people more likely to browse through the marketplace.

The Steam comparison is valid, just as bringing up a Sony sale on DLC would be valid. They are still competing “platforms,” despite being on different “systems.” If you see one “platform” holder consistently having huge sales, while the other has very minor sales, it still makes you think about what you are getting for your dollar. Steam has shown huge sales increases, from huge discounts, enough that they can (sometimes) make more profit from the sale, than selling the game full price.[/quote]

I'm not sure what you're talking about with PGR dropping from $60 to $36. That makes little sense, being as how the game itself is under $15 most places. Microsoft putting DLC on sale drives sales regardless. Someone is buying this content for the reduced prices.

Not everyone has the CAG mindset about comparing "value" when it comes to a content deliverable service across platforms. You often forget that CAG does not represent the mass of people out there. Our 30k members (if that) are nothing in comparison to the hundreds of thousands that think a slight discount on Live is a deal. The general gaming public sees a reduction in a DLC price and will eat it up, regardless of "value".

Back on topic, can anyone recommend this pack? Is it worth the 240?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Just because most people own a PC, doesn't mean that people game on them. You're acting here like Microsoft has any direct competition on live. There is none. No one else controls the pricing on Live except Microsoft. Who says they want to compete with a PC based platform (Steam)? What exactly would they be competing over? Steam doesn't offer content on Xbox Live, so again, why would Microsoft care?

I'm not sure what you're talking about with PGR dropping from $60 to $36. That makes little sense, being as how the game itself is under $15 most places. Microsoft putting DLC on sale drives sales regardless. Someone is buying this content for the reduced prices.

Not everyone has the CAG mindset about comparing "value" when it comes to a content deliverable service across platforms. You often forget that CAG does not represent the mass of people out there. Our 30k members (if that) are nothing in comparison to the hundreds of thousands that think a slight discount on Live is a deal. The general gaming public sees a reduction in a DLC price and will eat it up, regardless of "value".

Back on topic, can anyone recommend this pack? Is it worth the 240?[/QUOTE]

Whatever think what you want but before just a few months ago I considered myself a console gamer only and now I am buying a lot of PC games because of steam. We have seen numerous topics where people have said the same so I know I am not alone. Given this fact its obviously not a stupid comment to say to little to late. If MS would have just marked the price down on old games or put newer ones on sale now and then and at an earlier date there is a good chance I would have never looked to the PC to provide me with my download able content. Again if I am not the only one that has gravitated away from Xbox live and towards steam and other such services it shows a missed opportunity for MS. Hell I have even seen people say about XBLA games/content I will wait till its cheaper on steam.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm not sure what you're talking about with PGR dropping from $60 to $36. That makes little sense, being as how the game itself is under $15 most places. Microsoft putting DLC on sale drives sales regardless. Someone is buying this content for the reduced prices.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you picked up on the point just fine. $60 to $36 is the same as the discount for the downloadable content, but PGR4 has already dropped in price to much less than that due to demand. If they were to have just dropped PGR4 to $36 now, it would barely make a blip, because it is no longer on the radar of the average consumer. It may drive some sales, but I don’t think these sales are going to drive the kind of traffic they could be getting.

[quote name='Exu']Via Major Nelson

Normally retailing for 400 Microsoft Points, the Premium Challenge Pack is now 240 for this week only. This deal is only available to gold subscribers.
Not bad considering PGR4 is dirt cheap now.

:360: Project Gotham Racing 4 Premium Challenge Pack 240 Microsoft Points

twitter_mini.gif
Click here for CAG UK Twitter Updates
twitter_mini.gif
Click here for CAG US Twitter Updates

(At the time of writing it's still showing up as 400 for me on the Web Marketplace, give it time to refresh or check the dashboard.)[/quote]

LOL, where's the deal? Can't find it! LOL.

Only deal I ever did was Halo:CE on the hard drive for 600 MSP.

Bringing this thread a little more on topic...anyone have it already, anyone have opinions on if it is worth more than free since this is probably the lowest its going to go.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Whatever think what you want but before just a few months ago I considered myself a console gamer only and now I am buying a lot of PC games because of steam. We have seen numerous topics where people have said the same so I know I am not alone. Given this fact its obviously not a stupid comment to say to little to late. If MS would have just marked the price down on old games or put newer ones on sale now and then and at an earlier date there is a good chance I would have never looked to the PC to provide me with my download able content. Again if I am not the only one that has gravitated away from Xbox live and towards steam and other such services it shows a missed opportunity for MS. Hell I have even seen people say about XBLA games/content I will wait till its cheaper on steam.[/quote]

Which games are you buying on Steam that are also offered on XBLA, aside from EETS and 1-2 others? Why would MS mark down the price on something that has been selling just fine? You might not be the only one that has "gravitated away" from Xbox live, but you represent a VERY small minority. XBL's target audience will see this deal, notice that it's a discount and sales will be increased because of it. Again you forget that not everyone thinks like everyone else on CAG. It's hardly a missed opportunity at all. If anything, it's more of an opportunity now than ever before for them to take advantage of the situation they are in.

[quote name='msdmoney']Looks like you picked up on the point just fine. $60 to $36 is the same as the discount for the downloadable content, but PGR4 has already dropped in price to much less than that due to demand. If they were to have just dropped PGR4 to $36 now, it would barely make a blip, because it is no longer on the radar of the average consumer. It may drive some sales, but I don’t think these sales are going to drive the kind of traffic they could be getting.[/quote]

For reference, I am talking about DLC sales. We all know that PGR 4 sold like shit, which was evident by it's $20 price tag 3 months after release. This DLC *might* improve sales of PGR4 discs, but it most definitely WILL improve sales of the downloadable content for PGR 4 itself.

In case anyone was looking for a decent deal on the actual game, Walmart has it for $10 in store. I rented this game when it came out and thought it was decent but lacked too much difference from PGR3 which I bought at launch.

I remember downloading the DLC for PGR2 and how it was 10 dollars for 1 map or something like that. Those days all DLC was cool and felt necessary.

This and last weeks "deal" strike me as kind of lame, especially when MS is trying to make it seem like they're doing something special for Gold Live members. Saying this is better than nothing is kind of like saying a slap in the face is better than a kick in the nuts. :twisted:

[quote name='bywaytm']Bringing this thread a little more on topic...anyone have it already, anyone have opinions on if it is worth more than free since this is probably the lowest its going to go.[/quote]

I agree.

So what does the "challenge Pack" consist of?

too many people complaining and bashing the game and m$. simple rule, don't like it then don't buy it. criterion gave free updates and other stuff for awhile and now they are charging. they did things the opposite of everyone else. to whereas now, the game is still "pricey" to some people but the dlc is cheaper. The dlc gives you a few more achievements for those who care about them, new areas, new cars and more for 240 ms points which is I think $3. They can't please everyone and just try to get deals out to the general public not anyone in particular.

[quote name='intoxicated662']too many people complaining and bashing the game and m$.[/quote]

Hypocritical much?

Don't call them "m$," it really makes you sound immature.

Here's a secret...

Sony...IS OUT TO MAKE MONEY.
Nintendo...IS OUT TO MAKE MONEY.
"M$," as you call it, is just better at it.

I may get it, but not sure.
I'm sure I'll pass on next weeks Fable original (most likely on sale for $10). And I have a feeling that will be the end of the deal of the week until the holidays some back around.
I certainly hope I'm wrong.
I do think this PGR4 pack could be kind of fun.

[quote name='robbrism']I agree.

So what does the "challenge Pack" consist of?[/QUOTE]

according to joystiq

Free Challenge Pack (free download!)
A playable, hydrogen-powered Peugeot Flux
Tourist Mode - Just drive around the city and admire the scenery with no explicit goal
"Free Roam" Cat and Mouse Mode - Implements the delayed updates previously discussed here
Seven unlockable achievements

Premium Challenge Pack (400 MS points)
Includes all the content of the Free Challenge Pack, PLUS:
Seven new cars - Including the "1987 BMW M3 E30 DTM," whatever that means
World Challenge Arcade Mode - With 20 new events in three themed chapters
Three more unlockable achievements

[quote name='WTFer']how much is 240 points in real money again?[/QUOTE]

Assuming you bought MS points not on sale... which normally are 1600 points for $20...

$3 (1600 pts / $20 = 80 pts per dollar; 240/80 = $3)

As SimaYi said: $2 off a $5 "product"

Considering how much time I put into PGR 4 I might bite. It's not like theres much racers coming out this year outside of the rumored Forza 3, granted E3 might change everything.

Is the extra content worth the $3? I'm just shy of 1000 points for this game :p

[quote name='MSI Magus']I was all for this at first, and its still better then nothing....but I am starting to wonder if its too little to late. Look at the steam sale threads and see tons of people screaming damn you steam! Every weekend its taking our money because of either huge 75% off sales or because the smaller 30-40% off sales are atleast on stuff like L4D and TF2. Compare it to 30-50% off on old dlc that many feel was overpriced anyways.......and only if your a gold member.....as I said still happy MS is doing this just wondering if its too little too late.[/quote]

What do you mean too little too late? This is awesome that MS is doing this. Have you used PSN, even though it's free, you get what you paid for. Slow network with lag. I have no problems with my Live and it takes me 5 times as long to download anything on PSN then it does on Live. I don't understand what you mean.

[quote name='Wonka the Troll']What do you mean too little too late? This is awesome that MS is doing this. Have you used PSN, even though it's free, you get what you paid for. Slow network with lag. I have no problems with my Live and it takes me 5 times as long to download anything on PSN then it does on Live. I don't understand what you mean.[/quote]

not to mention that once you do finally finish downloading something, you still have to install it which takes awhile more and updates are a huge pain as they take forever as well.

bread's done
Back