A Weird PS3 Problem

rainor94

CAG Veteran
So I have my PS3 and I can only use it vertically. Every time I would put it down horizontally, it would spin the disk, see it, read it, start game(says playstation 3 on screen and then screen turns black), then the system would freeze. I tried starting the game with the ps3 vertically and then putting it down horizontally and it did work. l have also opened up the system to see if a wire or something was loose or broken... didn't find anything wrong. I also tried with the system open to just keep the disk drive vertical and the rest of the ps3 horizontal and the game started as well.

I really don't know what to do. Warranty is over.. and i don't want to pay Sony $150. Can someone help me??? Has anyone had this happen to them??

[quote name='rainor94']How can you tell that it'll die soon?[/quote]

All freezing of any kind will eventually lead to its death. It's only a matter of time. How do I know?
Because that's how my problems started before it bit the dust.

All freezing of any kind will eventually lead to its death. It's only a matter of time. How do I know?
Because that's how my problems started before it bit the dust.

the freezes are only about 20 second, after that, i regain control of my ps3 and the freezes are caused when the system is spinning its disk and then starts the game 10 seconds after that the disk stops spinning. All this is happening when the system is horizontal. When vertical system is running like new. If I do have to pay for repair it won't be sony as i would only need the drive repaired or replaced. I think this is a mechanical issue. Not sure.... probably ill see a local repair shop...

I doubt it's going to die soon if it works fine vertically. I bet it's something like a connection loses touch when the system is horizontal and only sits on the right point when it's vertical. Search for a ps3 repair near you.

[quote name='rainor94']So I have my PS3 and I can only use it vertically. Every time I would put it down horizontally, it would spin the disk, see it, read it, start game(says playstation 3 on screen and then screen turns black), then the system would freeze. I tried starting the game with the ps3 vertically and then putting it down horizontally and it did work. l have also opened up the system to see if a wire or something was loose or broken... didn't find anything wrong. I also tried with the system open to just keep the disk drive vertical and the rest of the ps3 horizontal and the game started as well.

I really don't know what to do. Warranty is over.. and i don't want to pay Sony $150. Can someone help me??? Has anyone had this happen to them??[/quote]

diode may be going bad... you can easily replace it. Lasers cost around $65-70. Common problem with the PS3. If you search, its there. Just not as publicized as the RROD.

bread's done
Back