Silent Hill: Homecoming (360): $24.99 w/FS @ NewEgg.com

Having never played any of the series, and only seeing the movie (and I did like the movie somewhat for its sureal look), how is this game? What style of game, Like Res Evil 4 (sorry havent played 5 yet)?

Clok

[quote name='karkyco']Nice price...that's a good find, Shrike. Too bad it's not the PS3 version which is what I'd bite on...:cry:[/quote]Oh they have it on sale.

For $56.99 w/FS.

Don't worry, I did check on the PS3 version before I posted, and would've tossed into the post if it was cheaper.

[quote name='neonglow']Which version is the one to have? 360 or PS3?[/quote]

There's not really any difference aside from 360 having achievements and the PS3 version not having trophies. I personally got it on the PS3 awhile back, but the controls are fairly different from the past Silent Hills, so now I wish I had gotten it for the 360 for the achievements.

As far the game itself, it's better than most reviewers say. I thought the cutscenes stayed true to the style of the series and the "other world" was pretty atmospheric for the most part. My only complaints would be that most of the game is on the easy side and it's pretty short. I also thought the majority of the puzzles were just flat out DUMB. They were either too easy or they were fuse box puzzles that didn't make any sense, to the point of being unsolvable without cheating, and offered zero entertainment value.

[quote name='rcavictor1956']I noticed that yesterday....still would like to see it go under $20.00. :)[/quote]

Same here. I hope to get it at around $15 or so.

this has been this price at newegg since December 08, i've posted it twice myself and several others have as well. It comes and goes... but im pretty sure soon it will stay around twenty.
But ... its a good reminder....

[quote name='knightbeauchamp']this has been this price at newegg since December 08, i've posted it twice myself and several others have as well. It comes and goes... but im pretty sure soon it will stay around twenty.
But ... its a good reminder....[/quote]Actually, it's been $26.99 previous to today, so this is the cheapest it's been yet.

[quote name='clok1966']Having never played any of the series, and only seeing the movie (and I did like the movie somewhat for its sureal look), how is this game? What style of game, Like Res Evil 4 (sorry havent played 5 yet)?

Clok[/quote]

I just posted a review on the game here. I wish I'd only paid $24.99 for it. It definitely has the "silent hill" look, but everything else is lacking.

[quote name='mary_at_gamefunk']I just posted a review on the game here. I wish I'd only paid $24.99 for it. It definitely has the "silent hill" look, but everything else is lacking.[/QUOTE]

I got this game for free on PS3, but have yet to play. I'm a huge SH fan (and overall survival horror games/horror movie fan), so thanks mary_at_gamefunk...you may be extremely cute, but your review makes me and puppies around the world cry.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I got this game for free on PS3, but have yet to play. I'm a huge SH fan (and overall survival horror games/horror movie fan), so thanks mary_at_gamefunk...you may be extremely cute, but your review makes me and puppies around the world cry.[/quote]

I'm just the messenger.

For those curious about getting the game, I just beat it a couple of days ago and it was better than I expected it to be.

The controls are better than previous silent hill games and the game was pretty atmospheric. I enjoyed the simple puzzles and pacing and the characters were fairly interesting.

The only con I have about the game was that the save points were fairly far in-between. I just hate playing a game where I want to go to bed and I cant save until I get to a predetermined spot, but that is just a personal gripe.

Agree with the couple of guys here who found it better than expected. I loved the previous SH games and was kinda wary initially when the game got mixed reviews (some did rate it very highly though.. 1UP I think scored it well), but I went ahead and got it anyway.

Great atmosphere and it does control a lot better than previous SH games. Probably the best SH I've played since SH2.

Got it at Target for $15 last week. Pretty weak game. Graphics are not up to par with todays titles. If you're on the fence...I would recommend renting it..takes like 2-3 days to beat and the Replay value isn't there.

[quote name='mary_at_gamefunk']I'm just the messenger.[/quote]

Although I don't entirely agree with your review, I think it was a good first effort. The one thing I'm curious about is why the locked doors seemed to ruin your experience so much. Locked doors have been a "problem" in every single Silent Hill game, and so have the few and far between save points (although save points did seem a little further apart in Homecoming).

The game has its flaws, but I just find it hard to believe that someone that enjoyed the original games so much waits until now to complain about locked doors and save points. If anything the locked doors were less frustrating in Homecoming because the game is so much more linear than the previous titles.

Silent Hill is an amazing game and all, but please guys, DO NOT BUY IT.

Ever since I beat it, I have been having a different gloomier view on life, the game still gives me nightmares.

Yeah, silly that such a video game can do that to me.

[quote name='Young Deezy']Silent Hill is an amazing game and all, but please guys, DO NOT BUY IT.

Ever since I beat it, I have been having a different gloomier view on life, the game still gives me nightmares.

Yeah, silly that such a video game can do that to me.[/quote]

First i did the same thing when I was younger, freaking out over horror:hot:, and am still addicted to the Horror genre. But you said "..a different gloomier view on life" If the game was depressing you ... and though I hate to say it. You might need to stay away from Horror games or limit your exposure to them, especially if it freaked you out bad enough to tell others to stay away and if they effect your Long term view.
When I was in school I minored in psychology. One of the studies we had to review was about the long term effects of media. Albeit the study was extreme and focused on things "like" daniel pearls execution as well as the cult classic faces of death. Some people who were exposed to this type of display had long term ill effects. During the viewing experiment most people had raised blood pressure to dangerous levels ... 180/140 range. Especially unhealthy participants have higher risk of physical damage. Its why you never through a surprise birthday party for a Fat person. ;)You can kill em... ;)
But with that said, I love the horror genre:bouncy:, I love the way it is exciting and makes you have the fight or flight condition evoked. Which is hard to find in today's society and is a natural part of our genetic makeup. So if your healthy, and just exagerating the effects have fun with it. But if you are depressed a month after the game and or feel any unusual paranoia go see your docter.

This is by...I can't remember who. I'm not sure whether I'd like it or not. I loved the original, I mean I thought it was brilliant, though insanely scary. The second one I thought was simultaneously way too scary, but also in a kind of cheap way.

Waaaaaaay scarier than the Resident Evil games for the person who asked that. RE I like, these...hmm.

my last survival horror game i have beated was silent hill back in the ps era.... but i feel i dont have the guts to play survival horror again...... i tried resident evil 4 on my Gamecube at launch and stop playing it after a few hours.....i know bioshock is not a scariest game but trying to confront my fear & weakness to survival horror with the big daddys..... and yes i suck =[

Nah uh! I think the Silent Hill games probably go too far for me, and I wouldn't want every game to have as oppressive an atmosphere as like Bioshock or F.E.A.R. or something.

Thank you! I'm a long time SH fan and I've been waiting for this one to drop to a reasonable price. $15 at target sounds pretty sweet but I'm not complaining at 24.99 either. Doesn't seem like it's been all that long since this game was $59.99.

The facts:

No SH sequel will ever top the first and second games in the series but this game is easily the best one since the second game. Stayed true to roots but implemented enough to make it feel fresh. It's not some big open world multiplayer game (which is what I think a lot of people expect out of games these days). It's just Silent Hill. Play it if you liked the first two games.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']The facts:

No SH sequel will ever top the first and second games in the series but this game is easily the best one since the second game. Stayed true to roots but implemented enough to make it feel fresh. It's not some big open world multiplayer game (which is what I think a lot of people expect out of games these days). It's just Silent Hill. Play it if you liked the first two games.[/quote]

I agree with you there. Although, I liked the gameplay of the 3rd one a lot. It was the 4th one that I disliked.

Wish this deal was for PS3 as well, I would definitely jump on it, especially since no target around me has it.

[quote name='morphineseason']There's not really any difference aside from 360 having achievements and the PS3 version not having trophies. I personally got it on the PS3 awhile back, but the controls are fairly different from the past Silent Hills, so now I wish I had gotten it for the 360 for the achievements.

As far the game itself, it's better than most reviewers say. I thought the cutscenes stayed true to the style of the series and the "other world" was pretty atmospheric for the most part. My only complaints would be that most of the game is on the easy side and it's pretty short. I also thought the majority of the puzzles were just flat out DUMB. They were either too easy or they were fuse box puzzles that didn't make any sense, to the point of being unsolvable without cheating, and offered zero entertainment value.[/quote]

How does this game handle game saves? Is it automatic? If not, how often do you get to a save point?

[quote name='7thton']How does this game handle game saves? Is it automatic? If not, how often do you get to a save point?[/quote]

Yea, I forgot to mention that part. That was another particular part I didn't like about this game. Save points seemed further apart than the previous titles. If you're not familiar with the previous games, you save the game by finding these various glowing red objects. It's not like they're hidden or anything, but you have to actually keep playing the game until you find them to save.

If you die between saves though, I thought the game did an alright job of starting you from a semi-recent point. Some parts definitely made me rage though. Just be warned that sometimes you can go for an hour and a half to two hours before you reach a save point. It's not exactly a pick up and play type of game, but then again Silent Hill games never have been.

[quote name='JawnMan']I agree with you there. Although, I liked the gameplay of the 3rd one a lot. It was the 4th one that I disliked.

Wish this deal was for PS3 as well, I would definitely jump on it, especially since no target around me has it.[/quote]

I like the 3rd one also. It just felt more like jump out at you terror and less psychological terror. The 4th one... ehhhh

[quote name='morphineseason']
If you die between saves though, I thought the game did an alright job of starting you from a semi-recent point. Some parts definitely made me rage though. Just be warned that sometimes you can go for an hour and a half to two hours before you reach a save point. It's not exactly a pick up and play type of game, but then again Silent Hill games never have been.[/quote]

That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I would hate to have to slog through the game for 1-2 hours to hit a save point.

[quote name='7thton']That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I would hate to have to slog through the game for 1-2 hours to hit a save point.[/quote]

There nowhere near that far apart. They normally aren't incredibly close together, but they also were never ridiculously far apart either.

[quote name='Byrus']Sale must be over. Site says it's $56.99.[/quote]I just ordered one without issue.

The PS3 version is $56.99 and always has been since I posted the thread two days ago. 360 version was $24.99 when I just placed my order for it.

bread's done
Back