Silent Hill: Homecoming (360): $24.99 w/FS @ NewEgg.com

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 player66

player66

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

Wow, thanks dude for posting this. I've been waiting to pick this one up for months.

#32 johnny konami

johnny konami

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Thank you! I'm a long time SH fan and I've been waiting for this one to drop to a reasonable price. $15 at target sounds pretty sweet but I'm not complaining at 24.99 either. Doesn't seem like it's been all that long since this game was $59.99.

#33 xrickyb86x

xrickyb86x

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

The facts:

No SH sequel will ever top the first and second games in the series but this game is easily the best one since the second game. Stayed true to roots but implemented enough to make it feel fresh. It's not some big open world multiplayer game (which is what I think a lot of people expect out of games these days). It's just Silent Hill. Play it if you liked the first two games.
MMMMMMM

#34 JawnMan

JawnMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

The facts:

No SH sequel will ever top the first and second games in the series but this game is easily the best one since the second game. Stayed true to roots but implemented enough to make it feel fresh. It's not some big open world multiplayer game (which is what I think a lot of people expect out of games these days). It's just Silent Hill. Play it if you liked the first two games.

I agree with you there. Although, I liked the gameplay of the 3rd one a lot. It was the 4th one that I disliked.

Wish this deal was for PS3 as well, I would definitely jump on it, especially since no target around me has it.

#35 7thton

7thton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

There's not really any difference aside from 360 having achievements and the PS3 version not having trophies. I personally got it on the PS3 awhile back, but the controls are fairly different from the past Silent Hills, so now I wish I had gotten it for the 360 for the achievements.

As far the game itself, it's better than most reviewers say. I thought the cutscenes stayed true to the style of the series and the "other world" was pretty atmospheric for the most part. My only complaints would be that most of the game is on the easy side and it's pretty short. I also thought the majority of the puzzles were just flat out DUMB. They were either too easy or they were fuse box puzzles that didn't make any sense, to the point of being unsolvable without cheating, and offered zero entertainment value.

How does this game handle game saves? Is it automatic? If not, how often do you get to a save point?

#36 morphineseason

morphineseason

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

How does this game handle game saves? Is it automatic? If not, how often do you get to a save point?

Yea, I forgot to mention that part. That was another particular part I didn't like about this game. Save points seemed further apart than the previous titles. If you're not familiar with the previous games, you save the game by finding these various glowing red objects. It's not like they're hidden or anything, but you have to actually keep playing the game until you find them to save.

If you die between saves though, I thought the game did an alright job of starting you from a semi-recent point. Some parts definitely made me rage though. Just be warned that sometimes you can go for an hour and a half to two hours before you reach a save point. It's not exactly a pick up and play type of game, but then again Silent Hill games never have been.

#37 xrickyb86x

xrickyb86x

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

I agree with you there. Although, I liked the gameplay of the 3rd one a lot. It was the 4th one that I disliked.

Wish this deal was for PS3 as well, I would definitely jump on it, especially since no target around me has it.

I like the 3rd one also. It just felt more like jump out at you terror and less psychological terror. The 4th one... ehhhh
MMMMMMM

#38 newlu

newlu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:35 AM

Picked one up, couldn't resist the price.

#39 7thton

7thton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

If you die between saves though, I thought the game did an alright job of starting you from a semi-recent point. Some parts definitely made me rage though. Just be warned that sometimes you can go for an hour and a half to two hours before you reach a save point. It's not exactly a pick up and play type of game, but then again Silent Hill games never have been.

That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I would hate to have to slog through the game for 1-2 hours to hit a save point.

#40 Byrus

Byrus

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

Sale must be over. Site says it's $56.99.

#41 robin2099

robin2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I would hate to have to slog through the game for 1-2 hours to hit a save point.

There nowhere near that far apart. They normally aren't incredibly close together, but they also were never ridiculously far apart either.

#42 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

Sale must be over. Site says it's $56.99.

I just ordered one without issue.

The PS3 version is $56.99 and always has been since I posted the thread two days ago. 360 version was $24.99 when I just placed my order for it.