CAGcast #154: Rantastic!

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#31 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

Does Cheapy really complain about the $5 download of an additional feature that wasn't present in the extremely highly rated previous game in the series? If so I'm finally done with the CAGcast. I've stuck with it from the beginning, but I've been struggling with Wombat's rants lately as they have become more idiotic over time.

I'm done with 1Up for the same reason. I was a hardcore cheap ass gamer well before I started working for a game company but I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with the gaming media and the crap they spread to feed off of their fans. If they made any attempt to understand the business side of things they'd realize how completely deconstructive this irrational criticism is. It's a shame too because most companies nowadays are making concerted efforts to listen to their fans.

I am missing your point, what does no online multiplyer in RE4 have to do with RE5? Halo one didn't have online MP, should they have charged extra for it in Halo 2? As someone who works for a game company your comment has saddened me on the sense of entitlement the industry seems to have towards the people that fund your livelihood.

#32 blacksanta87

blacksanta87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

100% AGREE with Cheapy D over the RE$5 B/s. However these "CAGS" that are defending CAPCOM and yelling at cheapy must have been dropped as a baby. Your all sick fucks. sick in the fucking head.

If you took the time to listen to the show you would know that COMPLAINING online can lead to CHANGE. And let me tell you. capcom needs to make some fucking changes. BIG fucking ones..

Fuck DLC is hasnt done anything for me :drool:

Pigtails are for face Fucking.

#33 blazsox

blazsox

Night Prowler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

If you want to see Capcom get hassled about charging for the SFIV costumes, watch this vid from ScrewAttack. Unfortunately this video was made before Capcom announced the $5 RE5 MP bull.

Lady threw out the some ol' corporate PR you hear all the time.
Posted Image

Currently Playing:
:ps3: Splinter Cell HD Trilogy
:ps3: NBA 2K13
:360: Forza Motorsport 4
Posted Image Lego City Undercover

#34 mightyhorse

mightyhorse

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

i like rants...who doesn't? i have no friends on psn. it sounds pathetic, i know. so eomeone add me! I play killzone2.

Posted Image<a hrefPosted Image

Edited by mightyhorse, 19 March 2009 - 11:29 AM.

#35 goodybear

goodybear

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, Cheapy D needs to buy the Joust liscense and put it on the ipod/iphone as part of the Atari classics for the iphone.

#36 DietCokeJunkey

DietCokeJunkey

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

Great show. I'm actually getting tired of all the Capcom rants, cause everyone knows that Capcom is wrong in charging for things that shouldn't cost anything. I just find it annoying since I don't really give a damn about Resident Evil 5 or Street Fighter 4.

DarkZion9.pngWjwtTLD.gif?1

so I decided to see what I could do with it and I got to the end but there's no way I can finish him off. 

#37 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

I promise to never buy another CAGcast again. I cant believe gamers can have opinions can and be entertaining. Its so terrible.

ESOL? Mother fucker?
;)

Edited by h3llbring3r, 19 March 2009 - 12:33 PM.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#38 gongshowhky11

gongshowhky11

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Cheapy you alright? You seemed rattled on the show.

gongshowhky11

#39 McWeen

McWeen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

I thought you were dead on about the physicality of the board games being important to their enjoyment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
George W Bush: "I promise you that the terrorists will suffer like G did."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#40 TheToiletDuck

TheToiletDuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

Loved the show, especially when CheapyD says "i'm a mother fuckin pimp"

The intro song was boss too (track 2 on that album, is just plain terrible)

P.s. Cheapy.. new MF DOOM album out next week. sweeet.

Edited by TheToiletDuck, 19 March 2009 - 12:43 PM.

#41 Achuba Nanoia

Achuba Nanoia

Tropical arctic fox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

Yay, another CagCast, can't wait to get back home to listen!

Now, I don't know how to make this not sound creepy, but I think we all agree that the "Tai Walks" video was much better with Cheapy's wife.
The most difficult game of all is life: 1up, no pause, no save-feature, no strategy guide. Just pray you can get someone to play co-op.

#42 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

whoa, i thought i was listening to an old episode. i think Cheapy repeated that Danny Choo and his Stormtrooper outfit story every other week. ;)

Wombat, haha, i can't believe that guy hung up on you. as for the second guy, kudos to Paul! :lol:

thumbs up to Cheapy for more Stern talk!

as for the Indy IV discussion, Wombat, you are spot on about the themes in the previous 3 movies. we went from religions and magic to aliens and bad CGI. well said my man. :)

Edited by LiK, 19 March 2009 - 01:08 PM.

63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#43 aplusjimages

aplusjimages

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

My friend Cindy works as the makeup artists for the Jimmy Fallon show. She was actually on one of the skits last Thursday. I'll ask her if she knows how hard it will be to get on the show.

#44 willc23

willc23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

Not sure if this was ever brought up on the last episode thread, but if you are going to harp on the lead refrigerator of Indy IV, you can't ignore the preposterousness of surviving a 1000 ft+ fall from a plane in an INFLATATABLE RAFT in Indy II. That has always bugged the crap out of me.
Posted Image

#45 Achuba Nanoia

Achuba Nanoia

Tropical arctic fox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

Not sure if this was ever brought up on the last episode thread, but if you are going to harp on the lead refrigerator of Indy IV, you can't ignore the preposterousness of surviving a 1000 ft+ fall from a plane in an INFLATATABLE RAFT in Indy II. That has always bugged the crap out of me.

I remember seeing one episode of Mythbusters where they did just that. They strapped a Crash Dummie in a inflatable raft and tossed him from a helicopter. He actually landed without one scratch!

Granted, the raft almost flipped a couple of times, and they did say it's extremely risk, but hey, it can be done!
The most difficult game of all is life: 1up, no pause, no save-feature, no strategy guide. Just pray you can get someone to play co-op.

#46 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

I am missing your point, what does no online multiplyer in RE4 have to do with RE5? Halo one didn't have online MP, should they have charged extra for it in Halo 2? As someone who works for a game company your comment has saddened me on the sense of entitlement the industry seems to have towards the people that fund your livelihood.

Have you played RE5? I'm over 15 hours played and will easily hit 30 hours before I'm done with the straight retail version. You're getting more for you money with RE5 than 95% of the other games on the market. The only way you'd have a valid point complaining about the DLC is if you found that the retail release wasn't worth the price.

I personally think the RE5 DLC is a very positive move. Rather than sacrificing development resources on a half assed multiplayer mode that people may or may not want we now get a choice as consumers as to whether or not we want to pay for it. I've played a shitload of games where I would have much rather not had a multiplayer mode and had the resources that were dedicated to MP applied to the single player game (or alternatively release a slighly cheaper game without the MP that no one cared about). RE5 is giving me exactly that.

Look. I'm taking time out of my busy day because I care very passionately about video games. I really wanted to get into work early this morning to get some stuff done but I'm writing this instead. I've been lucky enough to turn my passion into a career. Coming from the outside in I've been able to see the rationale for a lot of the things I questioned before I knew the other side of the story. I've been in meetings where I've spoken out and told people they don't understand their customers. I've given some pretty high level people candid feedback about the quality of certain games when I thought there were valid issues from a consumer standpoint. I rather foolhardedly pissed off one of the top marketing guys when I said (in not so many words) that he was grossly overestimating the consumer appeal of a certain game in a large meeting. I've repeatedly told people why as a consumer I prefer a competitive product and will continue to do so. Just last week I told a senior VP that there was only $30 in value to most consumers in a game they're releasing for $60.

I play welll over 20 hours a week and I listen to around 10 hours in gaming podcasts. I love it when I hear valid complaints that can be used constructively, but decisions aren't made in a vacuum. They are made in an environment where profit is the main motive. As consumers it is much more constructive to embrace that fact than to fight it. I am trying to find the best 10 hours in podcasts I can find to listen to and right now the CAGcast is out.
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#47 x3x1x

x3x1x

So fresh and so clean

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

My biggest complaint that the re5 MP DLC is a scam? It's in the fucking strategy guide! I'm not talking about a small coming soon advertisement or paragraph, but 6 pages of breakdown on the modes and maps. So they're saying, "Here's this complete resource on our game and all the cool things about it. Oh that section? If you want to experience that section, you'll have to shell out $5 more. Until then, just pretend it doesn't exist." IMO that's ridiculous.

#48 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

lol, was wondering when you guys would try and rile up the Nintendo crowd. calling out that Club Nintendo fans are pedos. i hope Cheapy gets some hate mail from some Nintendo fanboy. it'll be good for the next show. :D
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#49 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

Have you played RE5? I'm over 15 hours played and will easily hit 30 hours before I'm done with the straight retail version.

I am trying to find the best 10 hours in podcasts I can find to listen to and right now the CAGcast is out.

I said more then once that I feel that RE5 is worth 60 bucks, that wasn't my complaint. I don't think the DLC is worth 5. In fact I pretty much agree with everything you said which is why I feel this is such an awful idea. Why dedicate a staff for something that no one may want? Why release an unproven mode as paid content? Would it have been a better business desicion to relase this as free content, so maps can be charged for if it is well recieved? Why not take that risk, if the company is willing to make the content, why separate it. Do they know it not very good? I think these are all valid questions.

Oh and no one cares about how busy you are making games you won't name in your argument, makes you sound like an elitest douche bag.

#50 Walt Jay

Walt Jay

Gamerscore Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

People are upset of the RE5 PDLC because it's essentially done and Capcom unwisely let people know that by putting it in the strategy guide and in their response saying it's weeks away. If no one knew about it, and in April or May, Capcom announced a new online mode they're offering for $5, there would be far less whining.

I'm sure 90% of companies that do DLC create it during the core game's development cycle, or at least start it, and withhold it to be sold at a later date. They just happened to do a better job than Capcom with keeping it a secret.
Posted Image

#51 DesertEagleXIX

DesertEagleXIX

Semper Economus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

Has anyone actually downloaded the RE5 DLC content, or are we all speculating on its entertainment to dollar ratio?

Would people feel differently if it was priced at 200 points,or even 100 points?
Posted Image
www.tech-gaming.com

#52 kashwashwa

kashwashwa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

Cheapy, you kid about obtaining the license for Joust, but if it would cost even a fair bit of money, I don't see how you couldn't easily make your money back. You've already got some people ready and willing to create it - and now with Xbox Live's community games, you could get something released pretty effortlessly.

It doesn't even matter what the game actually consists of. Get an an animated picture of yourself riding an ostrich shouting "IM A SPACE PIMP", and you know your little caglings will lap that up at 200 or 400 points.

What do you want in life? To be known as a cheapassgamer? Or to be known as a cheapassgamer who ruined a once loved video game license?

In all reality though if you got superprogrammer john and maybe a few others involved (for art, sound etc.), kept to the original gameplay mechanics, but just updated it with some kind of goofy story (as Wombat volunteered to do), and maybe some new multiplayer modes you could easily sell that thing for 200 or 400 points to thousands of people.

Even selling the game for 200 points - if you sold 10,000 copies, that would bring in $25,000. How much of that goes to Microsoft I dont know, but that's gotta cover the cost.
Posted Image

#53 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

People are upset of the RE5 PDLC because it's essentially done and Capcom unwisely let people know that by putting it in the strategy guide and in their response saying it's weeks away. If no one knew about it, and in April or May, Capcom announced a new online mode they're offering for $5, there would be far less whining.

I'm sure 90% of companies that do DLC create it during the core game's development cycle, or at least start it, and withhold it to be sold at a later date. They just happened to do a better job than Capcom with keeping it a secret.

and i also think it's because Capcom already burned people by selling the SFIV costume packs that are already in the game disc which is ridiculous. looks like Capcom is following Namco Bandai's model with their so-called DLC (which is basically an unlock key).
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#54 sgxyay

sgxyay

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

Cheapy and Wombat, I disagree with your RE5 DLC rant.

I don't see what reasoning makes you feel that 100% of what a game development team is able to produce within the game's development cycle should be sold to you at the price of retail $60. More content and more gameplay modes requires more manpower and therefore more MONEY to develop. No one is expecting a resident evil game to have a VS mode, and no one would have complained about value of the game if a VS mode was never available on the $60 disc. Somewhat similar games, Bioshock and Dead Space had NO multiplayer, and no one complained about value on those. Would you be happier if RE5 cost $65 on the disc and came with the VS mode?

If Capcom wants to go above and beyond, allocate additional resources for extra, non-essential DLC content for a little bit more money, then I say let them. I doubt the team finished up early and were sitting around watching hampsterdance until the marketing folks were like, "Hey guys, if you've got nothing to do, I'll find you something to do. Go make a VS mode." It costs extra money to make something like this, and surprise, they would like to make extra money for their extra effort. I don't see what's so confusing about this. And as always, if you don't feel it is worth it (both the content on the disc, and the DLC), then don't purchase it.

#55 controlcommerce

controlcommerce

My Sega CD broke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hello Cheapy D and Wombat,

I've been listening to the podcast since #1 but I've never talked in the show notes before. The reason I'm posting is not for praise. I'm sorry. But I'll to do a little trade off. I'll post a positive itunes review afterward.

I don't like negative shows. I listen to podcast for enjoyment. I stopped listening to many (1up, joystiq) because all they do is complain. I'm one of the nerds who listens to each show at least twice, but this weeks is close to unlistenable. Cheapy, I understand the $5 DLC is a ripoff. No one should disagree with you there (except Capcom), great move on. Please don't spent an hour and ten minutes talking about it. And then bring it back up during other unrelated segments. Wombat you need to moves things moving along and ask him to drop it when it gets excessive. He does that for you at the right time of your rants and it makes a better show.

Also I would like to call Wombat out as a flip-flipper. The last 2 shows he's taken a big fat shit on R5. Weeks before the game come out. You did the "I WANT TO WALK AND SHOOT!" rant twice. I been looking forward to your review because I knew you would put your foot in your mouth. But Cheapy D interrupted twice with his "fuck Capcom" speech, ruining the moment. As a day one CAGcast fan, you should redo that moment for me Wombat ;).

Posted Image

#56 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

Whenever I see Robert Gibbs (presidential spokesperson), I am reminded of Wombat.

Posted Image

#57 Magilla

Magilla

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

Look. I'm taking time out of my busy day because I care very passionately about video games. I really wanted to get into work early this morning to get some stuff done but I'm writing this instead.

I'm taking time out of my normal work slacking to lol at this comment.

#58 oscargrouch

oscargrouch

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

Whenever I see Robert Gibbs (presidential spokesperson), I am reminded of Wombat.

Ugh. Why would you do that to Wombat? Wombat is way more intelligent.

#59 4nik8tor

4nik8tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

Fuck downloadable content in the ass. its a ripoff.

#60 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hey Cheapy & Wombat,

I thought I'd weigh in on the RE5 controversy:

I think the exclusion of this content from the game has little to do with Capcom's money-grubbing schemes and more to do with them attempting to control review scores. There may have been a fear that if the multiplayer modes were viewed negatively by the press, it would mean lower scores for the game overall. "Tacked-on" multiplayer modes seem to be a negative bullet point in a lot of reviews these days, so I think the decision to withhold the new multiplayer modes was a smart move from Capcom's Point of view.

That being said, charging for them, especially when the $60 hole in my wallet is still warm, is not necessarily a good idea either. If they had held onto the multiplayer modes and released them later to rejuvenate the audience, then I guess people would be okay with it. In fact, I think planning DLC ahead of time to add to a game's longevity is a smart maneuver, but releasing it right after launch and asking for more money seems to be a sore spot with gamers.

That was a little long-in-the-tooth, but to summarize I think that Capcom removing multiplayer and offering it separately was a smart move, but they should have either offered it for free or kept it up their sleeve for at least a few months.