CAGcast #154: Rantastic!

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#121 Magilla

Magilla

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

Waaaay off topic here, but I am just a little confused how Wombat references the fact that he is Jewish in pretty much every show, then kinda agrees with Cheapy that its a silly idea about a big magic man living in the sky during the Indiana Jones bit, then towards the end of the show says that he loves to eat bacon on his burgers?

"Judaism has a category for those who are Jewish but who do not practice or who do not accept the tenets of Judaism, whether or not they have converted to another religion. The traditional view regarding these individuals, known as Meshumadim (Hebrew: משומדים), is that they are Jewish"

Catholics are very similar, but unlike Jewish people you aren't Catholic at birth. Once you are baptized though, you are Catholic for life, whether or not you practice.

#122 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

Waaaay off topic here, but I am just a little confused how Wombat references the fact that he is Jewish in pretty much every show, then kinda agrees with Cheapy that its a silly idea about a big magic man living in the sky during the Indiana Jones bit, then towards the end of the show says that he loves to eat bacon on his burgers?

Actually I thought it sounded more like he pulled a Chief Wiggum when Cheapy mentioned The Big Magic Man and "just kind of trailed off". Whether he agreed or not I don't think he wanted to go on the record.

-ZJ

#123 ArthurDigbySellers

ArthurDigbySellers

Not exactly a lightweight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

I agree with Wombat about 5 Guys Burger and Fries. They are good burgers for a "fast food"-type joint. The only thing I don't like is that the "sauteed mushrooms" are obviously canned mushrooms and not fresh.

Keeping on the food topic, I know Cheapy posted about eating pork katsu or had a video of it or something...anyway, that inspired me to order it the last time I was at my favorite sushi place and it was amazing. Pork + deep frying = crazy delicious.

Currently Drinking:
Homebrew

#124 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

I agree with Wombat about 5 Guys Burger and Fries. They are good burgers for a "fast food"-type joint. The only thing I don't like is that the "sauteed mushrooms" are obviously canned mushrooms and not fresh.

5 guys is good for about the first 3 times you eat it, after that diminishing returns hits it hard and fast (the sub-par fries, spicy or regular, really hurt return visits).
I do recommend the double add bacon and BBQ sauce.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#125 dubbfoolio

dubbfoolio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

I love how you guys always brag about how many comments you guys have in the cagcast discussion thread after you make contests that are entered by posting in the cagcast discussion thread. Well I guess I'll post without bribe this week but I'm not happy about it.

#126 daminion

daminion

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

Regarding the whole console war & Wii phenomenon. The Wii has done something amazing to gaming. Personally I think it's great. More gamers buying games. Sure, not the games I want to play, but it's at least a start. The nice thing is that the kids in these households will grow up and become gamers. The ripple effect of the Wii will be felt for years down the road.

Regarding the actual consoles though, something that I think most "hard core" or even just "core" gamers don't think about is what's next for Nintendo? I personally think Nintendo is in a lot of trouble next generation. Its not going to be easy to convince everyone who bought the Wii to buy the "next gen" Nintendo. In fact it may be pretty damn impossible. They already have their Wii Sports toy, and convincing them to shell out $300 for the next toy... I highly doubt it's going to happen.

Microsoft and Sony will be in perfect situations to capitalize on this.

So let Nintendo keep selling their toy. Let them create an army of little gamers. I seriously doubt Nintendo will be able to keep them in 5+ years.

#127 Hbomb5

Hbomb5

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

Wombat, as a native Floridian, I totally recommend refraining on taking Sabrina to Disney until about age 5. You'd just spend most of your time dragging her around, and she's too young to enjoy it. I hate to say it, but you'll have more fun without her, and she'll probably have more fun hanging out with her grandparents.

I totally nominate the guy from Capcom for Douchebag of the Year (sorry, Cheapy). They're totally milking us for DLC. I might get the SF4 outfits if it were $2-3 for all of the alternate costumes, but there's no chance at 4 sets at $5 each.

Oh, and maybe you should lay off of Fallon and just focus on getting Shipwreck on Dateline. :)
Cross Border Gaming Podcast- http://crossbordergaming.com Discussing the latest games, busting Cheapy's chops, and hating on Jack White. (Blue Orchid sucks!)

Hblog- http://hbombgames.com
The Internet's newest home for gaming news, reviews, commentary, and community.

I am NOT on the glue!

#128 kongfunk

kongfunk

Go Team Venture!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:53 PM

Great Show, maybe I missed something last show when Capcom came into the room and raped Cheapy because he was pissed all show.

I do agree about how bullshit this DLC for RE5 is but do you think we would have as big of a problem with it if RE5 cost $55 and the DLC cost $10 now it looks like your getting a deal and Capcom would still make out like bandits. I think the biggest problem is that it's so unmistakable stupid that they put the trophies for the multiplayer on there. If they had some time between launch and the DLC release it could have at least looked like they were working on it. Then avoided this controversy with a PR statement of "we demand a level of perfection form all Capcom products and we didn't want to delay the launch of our highly anticipated game."

I would like to see a point where you can buy a multiplayer component of Call of Duty without the single player because I haven't even beat the single player World at War but I play the multiplayer almost every night.
Posted Image

#129 Zelos

Zelos

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

Honestly RE5 apparently has multiplayer infrastructure built into it so the budget for an additional multiplayer mode would be like what .... interns and hotpockets ?

Wombat hit the nail on the head when he said they should have just put it in the game and reserved the pay DLC for additional map packs.

With all seriousness capcoms obsessive need to burn both its new and existing fanbase with Pay unlockables and what can only be describes as blatant DLC crippleware have won it a place on my list of companies to avoid doing buisness with if at all possible.... right next to EA. The two things that keep pushing me away from games today are all the DRM and DLC, which is sad becasue atleast DLC has the potential to make a great game even greater but more often than not seems to translate into paying in full for a partial game.

Semi angry rant aside ..... I can't wait for Tribes to make a comeback it was hands down my favorite multiplayer FPS of all times seconded only by Teamfortress on Quake and replaced only by Tribes2. You should definitely have some CAG tribes nights!

#130 reg0later

reg0later

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:48 AM

Wow Wombat was on a roll, Adam Corolla Show,Resident Evil 5,ps3 price cut, I don't think I have ever heard an episode we're I have agreed with Wombat so much.Good show Sir, Good show!:applause:

#131 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:15 AM

I wonder what part of the RE5 budget paid for the PS3 Homespace ?

card.pngl1.gif

#132 dastly75

dastly75

Resident Squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

Wombat, do yourself a favor and go to Islands of Adventure. The Spiderman ride is amazing, especially given it's over 10 years old I think.

Cheap Ass Giraffes Grifball Team Captain

Posted Image

Posted Image

#133 JoeX111

JoeX111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:33 AM

Oh, please. CheapyD is obviously Arnold Vosloo from The Mummy movies.

Posted Image

#134 connor1693

connor1693

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:59 AM

It takes balls for video game companies like Capcom to rip consumers off. And my I remind you that the costumer is always right! How did Resident Evil 4 become such a hit? Because we bought it! Why did Sony make an announcement about the rumor of another PS3 price drop? Because we created that rumor!

If it wasn't for us, video game companies simply wouldn't evolve like they have over the years. And since games are now 60 bucks and will probably increase in the next generations, you want games to be worth every penny.

Great Show!

#135 Spartan V07

Spartan V07

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:08 AM

wombat choose pdz as the next game to play on cag.

#136 Hobo Kombat

Hobo Kombat

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:14 AM

I always thought that was Billy Zane in The Mummy. Not until I read an abridged script on http://www.the-editi...om.com/archives did I realize my folly.

And I love CheapyD's voice. I wish he could narrate my life.

#137 Xavin

Xavin

cFX Erryday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:52 AM

Great show, you guys were on the spot for everything. I think Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 would be the shiznit for CAGcast game night.

Cheep D sounds like a giant homo

YOUR a giant homo... douche bag...

Edited by Xavin, 22 March 2009 - 03:04 PM.

Posted Image

#138 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:02 AM

I actually thought the PR statement from that guy made sense UNTIL i listened to cheapy's points, and i realize its total BS.

Games are too expensive and maybe RE5 is worth it but why not provide even more value in the long run by just including it? So what if like 10,000 people buy it, its only 50,000 dollars compared to the huge loss of respect many have lost for capcom by charging for costumes on the sf4 disc and this content.

Valve on the other hand has huge respect and a great following because of their free content, Criterion as well even though theyre kind of abusing that respect now.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#139 Icehearted

Icehearted

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:49 AM

Feel free to tell me I'm off base here, but I always thought Cheapy kinda resembled Roland Gift from Fine Young Cannibals.

Great show as usual, guys! I made a similar comment on a news post that Cheapy had about how this nonsense with Capcom and RE5's DLC wouldn't be happening back in the old days when consoles such as the PS2 didn't have an exploitable marketplace and people gullible enough to buy into this idea that somehow it's not a big deal to be nickel and dimed by soulless corporate greed. I won't bother debating the issue with it's defenders, I will only say that I miss the days when the games we bought retained a certain tangible value rather than something that may or may not end up costing more in the long run. I think that if they charged the same $5 for these modes by simply including them on the disc and raising the price would eliminate that segmentation you two talked about with online play, and it would have also made this whole thing seem a lot less dishonest since you know what you are paying for and how much you are paying for it when you actually buy the game.
Posted Image

#140 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

Great show as always guys.

"I can buy my own shit. I'm a PIMP. pim pim pim pim pim pim pim pim pimp!"

:lol:

The shows have been top notch lately, great intro songs, Wombat has been on top form and Cheapy has some crazy funny things to talk about.

On Capcom charging $5 extra for online versus I am in total agreement with Cheapy. Just think without us, the gamers there is no Resident Evil, Capcom or gaming industry. Keep on pissing us off pulling off unacceptable stunts like this we just won't buy your games, or just get them used; either way they won't make any money.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#141 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

Great show guys

I miss the RE 4 guy too.
That guy was great.

Is this wombat?

#142 Nayson

Nayson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

As for lookalikes, well, CheapyD reminds me of the supervillain in classic British kids TV show Thunderbirds:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step forward, The Hood!

#143 peteyrose

peteyrose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

Cheapy, did you know Applemilk is a gravure model in Japan? It was a big surprise when she disappeared from youtube for a while and then all of a sudden reappeared in a gravure video

Here's the trailer (probably NSFW) http://vision.ameba....o?movie=1048460

#144 chunktek

chunktek

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

Due to PS3 console sales being MUCH lower than expected (roughly half of initial projections) and development costs being higher than expected the $60 price isn't even covering the increased costs. Consumers aren't getting screwed right now (at least not next gen consumers).

Get real. If PS3 isn't a viable platform for publishling games, then the blame for a poorly performing game lies squarely on the game companies for not being aware of their market. Perhaps the market is saturated with developers and publishers and what we're actually seeing here is a weeding out. The fact is that great games are making money, so if yours doesn't, you're probably doing something wrong. Games like Halo, Fable, Left 4 Dead, GTA, all show there's money to be made if you create a good experience for your customer (and part of that experience is price).

It's not like the publishers are making a ton of money. The big 3 US 3rd party publishers all lost money last year.

http://finance.yahoo...s?s=THQI
http://finance.yahoo...s?s=ATVI
http://finance.yahoo...s?s=ERTS

The fact is the economy sucks right now and a lot of companies in every market are losing money. Video gaming is a luxury, not a necessity. When people are hurting for money, luxuries are the first thing to cut back on.

If you want to see the impact of lower prices all you have to do is look at the quality of games on the Wii. N'Gai Croal was correct when he suggested that gaming companies would be better off financially developing for the Wii and then porting to next gen consoles. Boycotting creative attempts of publishers to generate alternative revenue will only expedite that path.

If you want to see the impact of lower prices, take a look at how Left 4 Dead sales increased 3000% when Valve dropped the price on steam. I think it's clear the video game industry is out of touch with reality and where prices should be. Capcom's DLC isn't a creative attempt to generate alternative revenue because all they have done is hold back game modes that, in this day and age, are considered STANDARD FEATURES. Boycotting those kinds of actions are a good way to tell the company that it's unacceptable.

Edited by eJohnny, 22 March 2009 - 03:46 PM.
spelling

#145 thabizzle

thabizzle

I'll have...the chicken!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

Cheapy i understand your feelings toward the RE5 DLC. Its complete bullshit 2 expect us 2 pay 4 online multiplayer. That being said, BUY THE F'N GAME! you are seriously missing out! Listen 2 ya boy Wombat...he wasn't going 2 buy it for a while, but he picked it up and he loves it. Gon head and make it happen!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#146 cpuvvada

cpuvvada

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

I have to disagree with Cheapy's take on the CAPCOM Swed's explanation of the DLC cost.

I assume when CAPCOM set a budget for RE5, the budget was really just a percentage of the total revenue they estimated they'll make from RE5. To really see if CAPCOM is being ridiculous, we would need to know the profit margin CAPCOM expected for RE5. If their expected profit margin was really high, then it was greedy of them not to increase their budget for RE5 to accomadate the DLC production costs. If their expected profit margin was moderate or slim, then of course it makes sense for the DLC to have a seperate cash influx.

On a side note, I can't believe the CAGcast is 25th on iTunes. I've listened to most of the other video game podcasts, and they are boring as hell and don't have a shred of the enthusiasm or fun the CAGcast has. You guys need to fire your PR guy.

#147 Chrisness

Chrisness

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

Have you announced which Xbox 360 game you will be playing?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I play Halo 3, Rainbow Six, SSBB, Carcassonne, Worms, others online. PM me to play SSBB, send friend request to play Xbox Live.

#148 Syraxis

Syraxis

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:18 AM

If you get the Joust IP, here's a design document template to help write the script. :lol:

#149 Imallvol7

Imallvol7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:17 AM

My 2 cents your not going to like and will probably make fun of.

I think its irresponsible to promote marijuana like you do all the time with your influential space pimp status.

In addition, I really hope you don't think Christianity is scary? Did you really believe that documentary you watched about it? Can you remind me of the name of the documentary again so I can watch it.

However, I know you do take shots at everyone and everything and not afraid to voice your opinion, so that's why I keep listening.

Oh, and I don't mind that you don't talk about games the entire podcast. I think that's why I love yours the most.

Last but not least, has anyone else listened to this weeks RebelFM podcast on Racism in RE5? What do you think about their discussion and do you agree or disagree with it?

Edited by Imallvol7, 22 March 2009 - 05:13 AM.

PSN --> Imallvol7
Xbox Live --> Imallvol

#150 Darth Groovy

Darth Groovy

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:59 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the shout out on Episode 154. Good to get that news out there.

Also, highly recommend Rainbow Six Vegas 2 or Gears of War 2 for your next game night.

Great cast guys, keep it real.

~Groovy