Wii Shop Thread: ***FINAL FANTASY 3 IS OUT ON THE VC***

• Please log in to reply
1887 replies to this topic

#91 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

Neat, just updated and HBC still works so i can still play TvC. I only have a 2 gig card but it should be plenty for now. I dont bother with any VC stuff, just Wiiware.

#92 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

Saw this on GN, and thought that it might be interesting enough to post here:

If you're watching with CAG's embedded player, then as the old saying goes, "Well, isn't that cute; BUT IT'S WRONG!!!" You need to click the link above the embedded video and choose the HD option at the video's page to see what this is all about.

Moar (The My Life as a King video looks good)

#93 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

Japan's VC releases for April show Majora's Mask

I guess they've finally worked in emulation for the expansion pak. I forget what other titles utilized it outside of Donkey Kong 64 and Perfect Dark, and you know the latter won't show up.

Now they just need to get the SuperFX chip emulated properly, and then by golly, Nintendo's cadre of paid programmers will almost be equal to that of basement nerds the world over.

So it's been a good week in VC/Wiiware related news:
  • SD stprage/run games from the card
  • Super Punchout!! Monday release
  • Arcade game platform announced/released
  • Confirmation of Majora's Mask/expansion pak emulation
  • New titles announced such as "My Life as a Dark Lord" from Square

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#94 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

I guess they've finally worked in emulation for the expansion pak. I forget what other titles utilized it outside of Donkey Kong 64 and Perfect Dark, and you know the latter won't show up.

List of Expansion Pak games: The only ones requiring the pak were Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark, Starcraft 64, and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

#95 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

There are quite a few interesting titles on there for Japan next month (Didn't they get Rondo of Blood last April):
Famicom
Takeshi's Challenge - I guess it isn't surprising that they saved this one for April Fool's Day, since it's Beat Takeshi's big joke on gamers.
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

Super Famicom
Der Wienerschnitzel Langrisser (AKA Langrisser II remake) - A classic SRPG series; The second game recently had a finished fan translation for the Genesis
Kirby's Dream Land 3

Nintendo 64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Master System
Phantasy Star - When this releases in the other regions, the main series will be complete on VC. It's still not up to the standard of the complete collection that was released in Japan for the PS2, and not as good a value as the Sonic's UGC for the PS3/360, but it'll still nice to have every main game on the VC.

PC Engine
Ninja Gaiden - It's reportedly not as good as the NES version we already have, but there's an English language option that is accessed through a code, so it has a chance of coming here as a TG-16 import title.

Virtual Console Arcade
Genpei Toma Den
Space Invaders

#96 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

I've noticed there is a lot of interest in a VC edition of Majora's Mask, were there issues with the Collector's edition version? I've never played the game to completion, so I never encountered any issues.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#97 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

I've noticed there is a lot of interest in a VC edition of Majora's Mask, were there issues with the Collector's edition version? I've never played the game to completion, so I never encountered any issues.

Emulation was terrible from what I know.

I tried playing Ocarina from the GC compilation, and it was just aggravating. Every time you opened up the inventory menu, there was a few seconds of lag. This alone was a total chore, so added emulation issues would have made it much more annoying.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#98 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, the CE version had some slowdown/music issues/freezing. Or so I recall.

I mostly just recall being pissed at running out of time after almost finishing the water dungeon or something and not coming back to the game for a month.

Posted Image

#99 vherub

vherub

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

super punchout on the vc is cool, but I was hoping it be a free unlockable in the upcoming game instead

#100 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

super punchout on the vc is cool, but I was hoping it be a free unlockable in the upcoming game instead

haha! delightful!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#101 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

I tried playing Ocarina from the GC compilation, and it was just aggravating. Every time you opened up the inventory menu, there was a few seconds of lag. This alone was a total chore, so added emulation issues would have made it much more annoying.

I've played Ocarina of Time from start to finish, but didn't notice any major issues. But of course, I never played the N64 version extensively, so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

Yeah, the CE version had some slowdown/music issues/freezing. Or so I recall.

I mostly just recall being pissed at running out of time after almost finishing the water dungeon or something and not coming back to the game for a month.

I could just never finish Majora's Mask because of the time limit. I don't deny that some of the ideas were very fresh to the series, I just hated having all my progress reset every 3 days and having to do some of it all over again. I think I pretty much made it to the water temple in both of my play throughs and eventually gave up, so maybe I never encountered the emulation issues that people seem to have.

Good to see that it's coming though, since I know a lot of people are looking forward to it.

Posted Image

#102 yeah-yeah

yeah-yeah

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

I could just never finish Majora's Mask because of the time limit. I don't deny that some of the ideas were very fresh to the series, I just hated having all my progress reset every 3 days and having to do some of it all over again. I think I pretty much made it to the water temple in both of my play throughs and eventually gave up, so maybe I never encountered the emulation issues that people seem to have.

From what I remember, there were two songs that could be played that allowed the reversal and the advancement of time by like 12 hours, so you could move the clock back 12 hours if you needed to.

I played it all the way through on the N64 and it was something I almost did grudgingly. There were all sorts of weird animation hiccups that annoyed me and adding the time element and the mask collection felt ever-so-tedious. I liked every other version of Zelda that I've played more than MM - even Adventure of Link, though I (mercifully) never played the CD-I games. There was one fairy in I think the water temple that I was never able to find, though, which is the only thing I didn't find in MM, and it kind of haunts me, so I have a feeling that I'll be playing it again at some point. I have a strong feeling, though, that the entire time that I'm playing it I'll be saying, "WHY ISN'T THIS TWILIGHT PRINCESS?!".

I did like some of the masks, though, as it lent a Mega-Man feel.

#103 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

From my post in the NPC topic:

For your answer, I refer you to a part of Jeremy Parish's Animal Crossing: Wild World 1up review:
Posted Image

#104 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

I really liked Majora's Mask, it's not in my top three Zeldas but I certainly enjoyed it more than I did TP. The thing about MM, though, is that the cart was supposedly glitchy and the CE version was just a freakin trainwreck of freezes. So if they want to re-release this via the VC, good on them, they just need to keep in mind that some of us aren't gonna fall for this a third time around.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#105 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

Hehe, "Revolution" what a silly name. ;)

#106 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:37 AM

Just got a 16 gig SDHC card at frys for 33 bucks, should last the entire life of the wii as far as wiiware/dlc goodies.

#107 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:47 AM

I played through OOT and MM on the CE and never once had it lock up or slow down on me. Maybe I was lucky. Maybe I got a good disc. But I haven't tried it on Wii once, though.

The good thing about MM is that you can actually replay dungeon bosses if need be (The only one that should be replayed is Goht because you can get the Gilded Sword through the Goron Race that way). As well as another mask...or two.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#108 wii skiier

wii skiier

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:01 AM

Master System
Phantasy Star - When this releases in the other regions, the main series will be complete on VC. It's still not up to the standard of the complete collection that was released in Japan for the PS2, and not as good a value as the Sonic's UGC for the PS3/360, but it'll still nice to have every main game on the VC.

I'm ignoring boring Zelda talk to remind everyone that the original Phantasy Star is still one of the best games ever made. Take that, elves!

PS I have no idea if Link is an elf but I think he has pointy ears and that makes him as good as an elf in my book. Which is to say he is no good in my book. You should read my book sometime. It does not hold elves in a high regard.

#109 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:06 AM

Nope, no pointy ears in Phantasy Star!

Posted Image

#110 StarKnightX

StarKnightX

will hook you up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:41 AM

Master System

Question since I'm too lazy to look. All 4 Phantasy Star games are on Sonic's UGC? Cause I know the PS2/PSP collection only had 2 , 3 and 4.

Since I love to be nitpicky , was it the Master Question compilation or the Collectors Edition one? Although I doubt the emulation would really be any different between the two I have both and just kinda struck me as curious.

From what I remember, there were two songs that could be played that allowed the reversal and the advancement of time by like 12 hours, so you could move the clock back 12 hours if you needed to.

I played it all the way through on the N64 and it was something I almost did grudgingly. There were all sorts of weird animation hiccups that annoyed me and adding the time element and the mask collection felt ever-so-tedious. I liked every other version of Zelda that I've played more than MM - even Adventure of Link, though I (mercifully) never played the CD-I games. There was one fairy in I think the water temple that I was never able to find, though, which is the only thing I didn't find in MM, and it kind of haunts me, so I have a feeling that I'll be playing it again at some point. I have a strong feeling, though, that the entire time that I'm playing it I'll be saying, "WHY ISN'T THIS TWILIGHT PRINCESS?!".

I did like some of the masks, though, as it lent a Mega-Man feel.

There was no song that reversed time other than the one that reset your 3 day time limit. There was a song that doubled the speed of time , a song that slowed the speed of time by half , and a song that jumped you forward about half a day. The first was good when you needed to wait for a specific time , the second was pretty much necessary the entire game , the last was only really used alongside the first.

I liked Majoras Mask , although some of the errand running and fetch quests did admitidly get repetitive. A lot of the quests in the game were pretty fun and goofy though.

#111 wii skiier

wii skiier

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:45 AM

Nope, no pointy ears in Phantasy Star!

You hate me. Poor me. I rub my nub in sorrow.

An excerpt from your link:
"/SG-001-Phantasy-Star-II_Nei"

There may in fact be pointy ears in the original Phantasy Star. But I don't remember them, so they don't exist.

#112 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:08 AM

Yeah, I know that that was PS2, but PS1 images are harder to drag up.

Posted Image

#113 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:09 AM

Canadians have a well known long ear bias.

Posted Image

#114 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:00 AM

Question since I'm too lazy to look. All 4 Phantasy Star games are on Sonic's UGC? Cause I know the PS2/PSP collection only had 2 , 3 and 4.

Yep, Sonic's UGC had all four Phantasy Star games, with the original Phantasy Star serving as one of the unlockable Master System games. However, the PS2 collection I was referring to was not the Sega Genesis Collection released in the West, it was a collection that was only released in Japan for the PS2, "Sega Ages Vol. 32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection"

This Sega Ages title lives up to its name, as it includes all four of the main Phantasy Star games, along with all of the PSII text adventures and the two Game Gear Phantasy Star games. The four main games are surprisingly import-friendly, as they include both Japanese and English language options. But wait, there's more! Along with the standard "special features" fare (Art galleries and whatnot), the developer included a bunch of bonus options for changing things like the display (Progressive Scan, adding scan-lines, etc.), the difficulty (All four main games have "Easy" and "Very Easy" difficulty options that adds a multiplier for experience and meseta; double for easy, triple for very easy), and speed. [HG101 Article]

Apparently, M2, the developer for the Sega Ages "collection" titles (Space Harrier II Collection, Monster World Collection, Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box, Phantasy Star Complete Collection, Fantasy Zone Complete Collection, etc.) has been the one working on the emulation for Sega's Virtual Console releases (Master System, MegaDrive, Arcade).

#115 StarKnightX

StarKnightX

will hook you up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:19 AM

Yep, Sonic's UGC had all four Phantasy Star games, with the original Phantasy Star serving as one of the unlockable Master System games. However, the PS2 collection I was referring to was not the Sega Genesis Collection released in the West, it was a collection that was only released in Japan for the PS2, "Sega Ages Vol. 32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection"

I knew that you were referring to the sega ages collection , I was just asking about the Genesis one.:) It would be nice to have all the Phantasy Star Games all in one place , since currently I have the Sega Genesis one that has 2 , 3 , and 4 , as well as the GBA collection that has 1 , 2 and 3.

Interesting info on the sega ages phantasy star collection though , I didn't know some of that other stuff about the set.

#116 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:56 AM

Interesting that my 16 gig SDHC card works perfectly on the wii dashboard with all my wiiware titles on it with TONS of space left, but it doesnt work at all under HBC. So gonna need my 2 gig stick laying around for when i want to boot up TvC, otherwise im super happy with the 16 gig, i have like 100,000+ blocks left.

#117 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:07 AM

I posed this question in another thread elsewhere, but can't seem to recall where.

Ever since the update, there's been several games that I have been unable to play from the SD card.

The first issue, the channel shows up displaying the game as expected, but attempting to run causes a "Failed to Launch." message. If I try to copy or move these back to the internal memory, "The data may not have been copied/moved." is displayed. Deleting and re-downloading these games do not fix the problem. The odd thing is, only a few games seem to actually work. I haven't tested every game, but so far Kirby's Dreamland 3, Secret of Mana, Starfox 64 and World of Goo are currently not working for me. Megaman 9 and Super Metroid do work however.

The second issue, is I have two channels which show up as ?'s on the SD card, Space Invaders Get Even and Cubello. Deleting and re-downloading doesn't fix the problem either.

I plan on calling Nintendo up this next week, but I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problems.

Posted Image

#118 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

It sounds like the root of the problem could be the SD card, in which case the solution may simply be to format it with a program like the SD Association's official SD Formatter. Be sure to back up any data on the card before formatting so you can copy-paste everything back afterwards.

#119 gaxur

gaxur

WANT TO SLEEP FOR (5678)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

I think the ? channels might be a known issue, but on the 'failure to launch' things, those sound like you lack the space on your Wii.

Apparently, the SD card menu's 'launching' is actually transferring the data to the Wii's internal storage, so if that has too much space taken up, it can't move them. Maybe try moving some more channels from your Wii menu to your SD card menu, or otherwise clearing up space on it?
Analog TV: Now with even less nothing to watch!

#120 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

It sounds like the root of the problem could be the SD card, in which case the solution may simply be to format it with a program like the SD Association's official SD Formatter. Be sure to back up any data on the card before formatting so you can copy-paste everything back afterwards.

I did this about a month ago, so I'm not sure if that's what is causing the problem or not. I may try to do it again to see if it fixes the problem.

I think the ? channels might be a known issue, but on the 'failure to launch' things, those sound like you lack the space on your Wii.

What's the issue with the ? channels?

Don't worry, I'm not ignorant enough to not check for the space on my Wii, I have plenty of room internally. Aside from that, it wouldn't make any logical sense for a larger game like Megaman 9 to work compared to Kirby's Dreamland 3.

Posted Image