CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)

LINK

Trade in any 4 games, get a bonus $20 off a select new release

Trade in any 2 games, get a bonus $10 off a select new release

Trade in any four games through Amazon.com's Video Games Trade-In store before April 12, 2009 and in addition to your Amazon.com Gift Card, you'll receive $20 off a select new release title in the Video Games store. Don't have 4 games you want to trade in? Trade in any two games before April 12, 2009 and you'll receive $10 off a select new release.

I'm liking the promotions Amazon is doing with these trade-ins. Even though it won't put GS out of business, they can put a dent in it if it does catch on.

this is pretty sweet. if you could find 4 crappy games to trade in. The only catch is they have to be worth $10 or more according to amazon's trade in.

Shipment has to be $10 or more...don't think the individual games do (probably to cover the free shipping)...

They're just trying to bulk up their inventory fast, is my guess.

Games must be in good condition and your trade-in shipment valued at $10 or more.
Free Shipping. Print a shipping label and packing slip, package your games, and ship them.
An Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your account upon receipt of games.
-Qualifying customers will be emailed their coupon code within 30 days after the promotion period has ended.

Participating titles

PS3

Resident Evil 5 $53.99
Killzone 2 Click here to see our price($52.99)
MLB '09 $56.99
Street Fighter IV $59.99
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection $27.99
Resident Evil 5 Collector's Edition $89.99
Tom Clancy's HAWX $56.99
Fear 2: Project Origin $43.99
Major League Baseball 2K9 $44.99
Skate 2 $56.99

Xbox 360
Halo Wars Limited $79.99
Resident Evil 5 $53.99
Halo Wars Click here to see our price($52.99)
Street Fighter IV Click here to see our ($53.99)
Major League Baseball 2K9Click here ($39.99)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope $56.99
Tom Clancy's HAWX $44.99

Wii
MadWorld $44.99
New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis $27.99
We Ski and Snowboard $36.99
NASCAR Kart Racing $36.99
House of the Dead: Overkill $46.99
Sonic and the Black Knight $46.99
New Play Control! Pikmin $29.99
Deadly Creatures $46.99
Rock Band 2 $39.99
Major League Baseball 2K9 $46.99

DS
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon $27.99
Phineas and Ferb DS $27.99
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars Click ($29.99)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly $36.99
Suikoden Tierkreis $34.99
Scrabble $27.99
Puzzle Quest Galactrix $27.99
Jumble Madness $19.99
Personal Trainer: Math $19.99
Retro Game Challenge $27.99

PSP
MLB '09 $36.99
Phantasy Star Portable $36.99
LocoRoco 2 $19.99
Star Ocean: Second Evolution $36.99
Resistance: Retribution $36.99
Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? $36.99
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance $27.99
DJ Max Fever $36.99
Scrabble $27.99
Air Conflicts: (Available for Pre-order) $27.99

PS2

MLB '09 $27.99
King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match $19.88
Tomb Raider: Underworld $29.99
Major League Baseball 2K9 $19.99
Rock Band 2 $49.99
Spongebob Square Pants Happy Squared Double Pack$19.99
Nobunaga's Ambition: Iron Triangle $29.99
Disney Sing It: High School Musical 3 $19.99
Trivial Pursuit $29.99
Coraline $29.99

[quote name='lorne']An Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your account upon receipt of games.
-Qualifying customers will be emailed their coupon code within 30 days after the promotion period has ended.

Participating titles

PS3

Resident Evil 5 $53.99
Killzone 2 Click here to see our price($52.99)
MLB '09 $56.99
Street Fighter IV $59.99
Tom Clancy's HAWX $56.99
Major League Baseball 2K9 $44.99
Skate 2 $56.99

Xbox 360
Halo Wars Limited $79.99
Resident Evil 5 $53.99
Halo Wars Click here to see our price($52.99)
Street Fighter IV Click here to see our ($53.99)
Major League Baseball 2K9Click here ($39.99)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope $56.99
Tom Clancy's HAWX $44.99

Wii
MadWorld $44.99
New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis $27.99
We Ski and Snowboard $36.99
NASCAR Kart Racing $36.99
House of the Dead: Overkill $46.99
Sonic and the Black Knight $46.99
New Play Control! Pikmin $29.99
Deadly Creatures $46.99
Rock Band 2 $39.99
Major League Baseball 2K9 $46.99

DS
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon $27.99
Phineas and Ferb DS $27.99
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars Click ($29.99)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly $36.99
Suikoden Tierkreis $34.99
Scrabble $27.99
Puzzle Quest Galactrix $27.99
Jumble Madness $19.99
Personal Trainer: Math $19.99
Retro Game Challenge $27.99

PSP
MLB '09 $36.99
Phantasy Star Portable $36.99
LocoRoco 2 $19.99
Star Ocean: Second Evolution $36.99
Resistance: Retribution $36.99
Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? $36.99
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance $27.99
DJ Max Fever $36.99
Scrabble $27.99
Air Conflicts: (Available for Pre-order) $27.99

PS2

MLB '09 $27.99
King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match $19.88
Tomb Raider: Underworld $29.99
Major League Baseball 2K9 $19.99
Rock Band 2 $49.99
Spongebob Square Pants Happy Squared Double Pack$19.99
Nobunaga's Ambition: Iron Triangle $29.99
Disney Sing It: High School Musical 3 $19.99
Trivial Pursuit $29.99
Coraline $29.99[/QUOTE]
So this means that some of these games will end up being free.

For example: MLB 2K9 would be free if you trade in 4 games since they take off 20 bucks.

Kind of lame they'd limit the selection but the promotion itself isn't bad, especially when they pay the shipping. I didn't know they did that.

Just thought of a damned good way to exploit this one.

Buy cheap games at places like K-Mart for $5 each...Trade them in for the same amount.

Bingo, 20 bucks off of a new game.

For instance, I could buy 4 copies of The Godfather for $20 bucks, ship them in for $30 trade-in credit...Then with the 20 dollars off of a new game, I'd get Resident Evil 5 for $23...Not bad if you think about it :)

I may actually do this...I'll go for a New copy of the Limited Edition Halo Wars :)
Hell, the map pack alone's going to be worth 10 bucks in a couple weeks.

Here's a kick to the nuts...Sorry about the repost

"Qualifying customers will be emailed their coupon code within 30 days after the promotion period has ended." I believe that means that we'll only receive the coupon code sometime in April, which kinda sucks...

Damn it, I have 3 games I can trade in but every other game that I'm willing to trade they don't accept. Guess I'll have to beg one of my friends for one of their old games or buy a cheap one.

[quote name='thehoweller']Just thought of a damned good way to exploit this one.

Buy cheap games at places like K-Mart for $5 each...Trade them in for the same amount.

Bingo, 20 bucks off of a new game.

For instance, I could buy 4 copies of The Godfather for $20 bucks, ship them in for $30 trade-in credit...Then with the 20 dollars off of a new game, I'd get Resident Evil 5 for $23...Not bad if you think about it :)

I may actually do this...I'll go for a New copy of the Limited Edition Halo Wars :)
Hell, the map pack alone's going to be worth 10 bucks in a couple weeks.[/QUOTE]

i dont think that is that good of a deal really...

Cost 20 you get 50 in credit and that IS if they would allow you to trade 4 of the same game

also remember it sounds like you get

the price of the trades in and then just 20 of certain games..... so mostly its trade 4 games in get 1 free

Yeah this deal seems ok on the face of it, but then you start checking the TIV of games and find there's a load they don't accept.

I'll do it if I can get 4 games that they'll take.

[quote name='slidecage']i dont think that is that good of a deal really...

Cost 20 you get 50 in credit and that IS if they would allow you to trade 4 of the same game[/QUOTE]

u should call them

Yeah - I went to take a look at the deal, and all the trade values were horrible. Trying to see if I can find some junk games to dump on them.

Hmmm. Hehe they take used Rock Band track pack disks I see........... That way I don't have to feel bad about ebaying them sans code.

[quote name='thehoweller']Here's a kick to the nuts...Sorry about the repost

"Qualifying customers will be emailed their coupon code within 30 days after the promotion period has ended." I believe that means that we'll only receive the coupon code sometime in April, which kinda sucks...[/quote]

Well, that's going to vary big time. The same disclaimer was on their 10% off games thing if you traded in before something like Mar 20th, and I ended up getting mine the day after they received my shipment. It seems to just be an umbrella thing in case something happens and they lose your order.

On topic, definitely gonna bite on this. Grabbing HotD: Overkill for $27 or GTA: Chinatown for $10 is too good to pass up.

Not to bash this deal specifically, but Amazon refused two of my trade-ins claiming that the "disc was missing." I'm 100% positive that all games were complete when I sent them. They are planning on returning the two missing disc games and they better not be missing the game.

[quote name='Tom Ato']Not to bash this deal specifically, but Amazon refused two of my trade-ins claiming that the "disc was missing." I'm 100% positive that all games were complete when I sent them. They are planning on returning the two missing disc games and they better not be missing the game.[/quote]

Maybe the disc dislodged during transit and slipped into the instruction manual, and they hadn't bothered to look there? Just a theory...

Hmm, they have Eye of Judgment listed for $8 trade-in value but it doesn't specify if the camera is required as part of the trade. Any chance somebody has traded this in to them and can verify that they accepted the game only?

does anybody know of any games that can be purchased at GS and then traded in to Amazon at a 1:1 ratio, or better obviously?

I have GS credit but no cash to be laying out for games right now.

oh hellz no...

I jus traded 2 games recently and got my credit today.

:cry:

I really coulda used that extra $10, as opposed to the 10% off which equaled to $2 I was gonna save from buying Lock's Quest.

[quote name='usmasters']does anybody know of any games that can be purchased at GS and then traded in to Amazon at a 1:1 ratio, or better obviously?

I have GS credit but no cash to be laying out for games right now.[/quote]
I was thinking the same thing, but actually with +$5 per game, it doesn't even need to be 1:1. I haven't checked the list of games accepted, but I'm assuming old sports game won't cut it. That was my initial thought when I read the deal. It could make Sonic: UGC ~$10.

[quote name='JEKKI']oh hellz no...

I jus traded 2 games recently and got my credit today.

:cry:

I really coulda used that extra $10, as opposed to the 10% off which equaled to $2 I was gonna save from buying Lock's Quest.[/quote]

I'd email their Customer Service; I'll bet they'll switch your promo over. I've always had good service experiences with Amazon.

I gave up last year's NHL, Beijing (horrid) and then found some old PS1 games lying around to get up to $28 +the $20 coupon. Hello, Halo Wars Limited. . .

Here's a little Gamestop to Amazon comparison that I threw together based on games that I currently own and am considering trading in.

Dollar amounts shown are Amazon TIV / Gamestop Base

:360:
Armored Core 4 - $5 / $6
Fable 2 - $8 / $20
Tomb Raider Underworld - $7.25 / $17
Culdecept Saga - $10 / $5

:ps3:
Skate - $6.50 / $10
Turok - $4.50 / $6
COD WoW - $21 / $19.25
F.E.A.R. - $6.50 / $4.75
Resistance 2 - $14.75 / $23

:wii:
No More Heroes - $5.75 / $9

At first glance it looks like Gamestop will beat the crap out of Amazon's TIVs. And they do for everything but, surprisingly, Culdecept.

But don't overlook Amazon completely.

Take this scenario:

Trade in to Gamestop:
Armored Core 4 - $6
Culdecept Saga - $5
Turok - $6
F.E.A.R. - $4.75
=$21.75 * 1.5 = $32.63

Trade in to Amazon:
Armored Core 4 - $5
Culdecept Saga - $10
Turok - $4.50
F.E.A.R. - $6.50
=$26 +$20 = $46.00

With this promo, and at least with this scenario, Amazon wins. I'd never trade in any large value games since the current GS promo bumps those TIVs up really well. But for lower priced games it's not a bad deal at all.

[quote name='sunnysky']wow, fable 2 only has an $8 trade in value.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to Amazon trade in hosing. I don't think people understand that there are only a SELECT list of titles that they will accept as trade in.

Some people are posting this fantasy where you can trade in 4 copies of Madden 2001 and get $20.

And just in case some people didn't do the math. $20/4 = $5. So you get $5 per game, + you pay for shipping yourself. Worst deal ever

[quote name='expane']
And just in case some people didn't do the math. $20/4 = $5. So you get $5 per game, + you pay for shipping yourself. Worst deal ever[/quote]

Um, you're not even close.

1. They pay shipping
2. You get $20 on top of the TIV of the games you trade in.

OK guys, trying to piece together some profit / filler games. Here is a quick run on some current Target Clearance games that you can get near equal TiV on or even profit(Target Clearance prices are YMMV of course):

:360:Spiderman Web of Shadows: $12.48 Target Price / $17.50 Amazon TiV
:360:Soul Calibur IV: $14.98 Target Price / $17.50 Amazon TiV
:360:The Last Remnant: $14.98 Target Price / $13.75 Amazon TiV
:360:Lego Batman: $12.48 Target Price / $17.50 Amazon TiV
:360:Bolt: $7.48 Target Price / $8.75 Amazon TiV
:ps3:Tiger Woods 09: $14.98 Target Price / $18.75 Amazon TiV
:wii:Deal or No Deal: $7.48 Target Price / $8.75 Amazon TiV

I'll add a few more later.

I wish I could use that $20 bonus on other things..I'd rather get some books.

I'm tempted to do this as I would get either RE5 or The Show 09 for around $12.

Have you gyus seen the TIVs? its ridiculous.... I can get 10-15$ more for selling the SAME game on Ebay versus what they're giving me in TIV, pfft, lol

I like your thinking... maybe this isnt so bad after all, although i wonder what Gamestop would give for 4x SpidermanWofShadows, for example.

[quote name='kidu']OK guys, trying to piece together some profit / filler games. Here is a quick run on some current Target Clearance games that you can get near equal TiV on or even profit(Target Clearance prices are YMMV of course):

:360:Spiderman Web of Shadows: $12.48 Target Price / $17.50 Amazon TiV
:360:Soul Calibur IV: $14.98 Target Price / $17.50 Amazon TiV
:360:The Last Remnant: $14.98 Target Price / $13.75 Amazon TiV
:360:Lego Batman: $12.48 Target Price / $17.50 Amazon TiV
:360:Bolt: $7.48 Target Price / $8.75 Amazon TiV
:ps3:Tiger Woods 09: $14.98 Target Price / $18.75 Amazon TiV
:wii:Deal or No Deal: $7.48 Target Price / $8.75 Amazon TiV

I'll add a few more later.[/quote]

$20 off Sonic Genesis Collection? I'm going to look for a way to exploit this :)

[quote name='reicaden']although i wonder what Gamestop would give for 4x SpidermanWofShadows, for example.[/QUOTE]

Technically they aren't supposed to accept more than 1 copy of any game in trade in, but its YMMV.

After digging around a bunch, I realize they are basically giving you 1/3 of what they expect to sell the game for, which is 1/3 of what you could sell the game for on Amazon. Some are closer to 1/2 or even better but only the hotter titles.

[quote name='daminion']Um, you're not even close.

1. They pay shipping
2. You get $20 on top of the TIV of the games you trade in.[/quote]

No, you're not even close either. Do you know why its "free" shipping? That cost is being taken out of your TIV. Hence the lower base. They all do it including Dealtree.

[quote name='daminion']Here's a little Gamestop to Amazon comparison that I threw together based on games that I currently own and am considering trading in.

Dollar amounts shown are Amazon TIV / Gamestop Base

:360:
Armored Core 4 - $5 / $6
Fable 2 - $8 / $20
Tomb Raider Underworld - $7.25 / $17
Culdecept Saga - $10 / $5

:ps3:
Skate - $6.50 / $10
Turok - $4.50 / $6
COD WoW - $21 / $19.25
F.E.A.R. - $6.50 / $4.75
Resistance 2 - $14.75 / $23

:wii:
No More Heroes - $5.75 / $9

At first glance it looks like Gamestop will beat the crap out of Amazon's TIVs. And they do for everything but, surprisingly, Culdecept.

But don't overlook Amazon completely.

Take this scenario:

Trade in to Gamestop:
Armored Core 4 - $6
Culdecept Saga - $5
Turok - $6
F.E.A.R. - $4.75
=$21.75 * 1.5 = $32.63

Trade in to Amazon:
Armored Core 4 - $5
Culdecept Saga - $10
Turok - $4.50
F.E.A.R. - $6.50
=$26 +$20 = $46.00

With this promo, and at least with this scenario, Amazon wins. I'd never trade in any large value games since the current GS promo bumps those TIVs up really well. But for lower priced games it's not a bad deal at all.[/quote]

Amazon definitely dropped their TIVs for this promo. 2 days ago resistance 2 TIV was $24

[quote name='technole']No, you're not even close either. Do you know why its "free" shipping? That cost is being taken out of your TIV. Hence the lower base. They all do it including Dealtree.[/quote]

Look, see my comparison post above. I'm well aware how their TIVs stack up. You do not pay directly for shipping and indicating as such is deceptive to anyone who is considering this.

From their FAQ
When you use the pre-paid shipping label, shipping your trade-in item to us is completely free, and there are no other fees. When you submit your trade-in, you'll print a pre-paid U.S. Postal Service shipping label for sending in your items. If a trade-in item is not accepted by the Merchant, and is returned to you, there is no cost to you for return shipping.

If you are smart about what you trade in you may be able to take advantage of Amazon's trade in program. All the info you need is available on CAG if you do a little digging. In the example I provided above it's clearly in my interest to trade those games into Amazon instead of Gamestop.

You know this is Amazon that we are dealing with and not evil Gamestop. I find it funny that everyone is already trying to look for a way to scam Amazon into making money off of this deal instead of helping to grow the business in hopes of putting a dent in the marketshare of Gamestop. This is exactly why Amazon will fail and Gamestop will continue their monopoly of the used game market.

bread's done
Back