Photo
- - - - -

Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread X(Ten)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2697 replies to this topic

#61 carlcarlson

carlcarlson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

He posted that tuesday night and used past tense to say nothing dropped that day.Im on east coast and gamestop is still closed.

When I checked this morning before leaving for work the posts weren't there. Strange.

And yeah, when I manually search for Dead Space and MGS IV they show up, I'm not sure why they aren't in the Prima search linked above.

#62 thehoweller

thehoweller

IllegalCouponPrinter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

I call a semi-renig on my statement...

I just checked Fable II's guide, it's not showing on Best Buy's website. Can anyone confirm whether or not this has been pennied?

MGS IV's guide isn't showing its face for me when I manually search...What were some of the other projected pennied guides? I'll try those as well.

The Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness isn't showing itself either. I smell pennied guides...

Edited by shrike4242, 01 April 2009 - 06:01 PM.

Posted Image
For the Earthbound fans...Visit this SMAAASH ing link!
Posted Image

#63 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

BestBuy almost never pennies guides outside of mondays. Although it's possible, it's very unlikely, as a guide's removal from the website is not always indicative of its penny status.

Also, could you please use the edit button instead of triple posting?

Edited by GuardianE, 01 April 2009 - 03:18 PM.

My name is in your Resident Evil 5 manual. ;)

#64 sgaldis

sgaldis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

zing!

#65 thehoweller

thehoweller

IllegalCouponPrinter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

Edit's disabled because of Cheapy's April Fools, but yes I would if I could.

Can anyone produce a list of Prima guides that weren't pennied, a week ago?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#66 loxthefox

loxthefox

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

MGS4 is showing on Gamestop's site. Did you remember to hit the Show Backordered button?
http://www.points2sh...p?ref=loxthefox
$37.07 in points and counting!
JOIN POINTS2SHOP TODAY AND GET FREE STUFF FROM AMAZON!!!
GO ON, SPOIL YOURSELF ROTTEN!!!

#67 Rave Child

Rave Child

Castanets!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

Edit's disabled because of Cheapy's April Fools, but yes I would if I could.

Can anyone produce a list of Prima guides that weren't pennied, a week ago?

I noticed that, too, but it came up after like 10 mins on my post.

To keep it on topic, Gamestop has removed guides from their site as late as 3:30pm on the day they pennied, so don't give up hope just because they're still up there. Also, Gamestop has been dropping guides on Thursdays for the past several drops, and last week was the exception. If guides don't drop today, there's a great chance they will tomorrow.
My Guide Trade List

Follow me on Twitter!

I am looking for the following items and will pay good money for them:
Suikoden II jewel case and manual:hot::hot::hot::hot:

Posted Image

#68 thehoweller

thehoweller

IllegalCouponPrinter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

Damn...Thanks for the information. I'll be leaving to go pack my woman's apartment up now -.-

Posted Image
Posted Image

#69 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

There were either no drops today, or the clerk was lying to me.

I had him ring up MGS4, SW: Force Unleashed, LoZelda: Twilight Princess (white hardcover), both versions of Prince of Persia, Mirror's Edge, and Oblivion GOTY. All were Prima guides, all full price. Perhaps tomorrow.

Edit: And apparently the Gears of War 2 regular guide dropped to $10 (reflected on the website as well)

Edited by Nirron, 01 April 2009 - 06:53 PM.

#70 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:38 AM

The MadWorld guide is down to $9.99 at Gamestop now, in case anyone is interested.

#71 Geekquisitions

Geekquisitions

Evil Incarnate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

So is a drop expected today?

#72 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

The guides never really are expected. We just check prices on most mondays and wednesdays. (some of do it quite a bit more :) )

#73 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

The guides never really are expected. We just check prices on most mondays and wednesdays. (some of do it quite a bit more :) )

But people were actually expecting a Prima drop today. Did anyone see anything?

#74 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

But people were actually expecting a Prima drop today. Did anyone see anything?

None of the dozen Prima guides I have on my Wish List on GameStop.com have disappeared, so I'm assuming no drop today.
Posted Image

#75 FOnewearl

FOnewearl

Whooooooooa Bundy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:18 PM

I've noticed that GameStop always seems to do a Brady drop one week then a Prima one a week later when they do a big drop early in the year (seems to always be in mid/late January) but they don't always do this Brady then Prima a week later pattern. It seems as if some CAGs are looking for this to happen thinking that they always do this 1 2 thing when they drop guides.
62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#76 Rave Child

Rave Child

Castanets!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

I've noticed that GameStop always seems to do a Brady drop one week then a Prima one a week later when they do a big drop early in the year (seems to always be in mid/late January) but they don't always do this Brady then Prima a week later pattern. It seems as if some CAGs are looking for this to happen thinking that they always do this 1 2 thing when they drop guides.

I think this has happened the past 2-3 drops there, and it just happened to be all Brady guides that dropped again, so we were thinking the Prima ones would come. It's just as well for me, since I'm stuck at work still and I wouldn't be able to make it to any of my decent spots today, and they'd all be tossed by tomorrow.
My Guide Trade List

Follow me on Twitter!

I am looking for the following items and will pay good money for them:
Suikoden II jewel case and manual:hot::hot::hot::hot:

Posted Image

#77 miktau

miktau

Carpal'/Tunnel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:11 AM

That stinks

Posted Image

#78 reicaden

reicaden

Needs More Cowbell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

Ok guys, so I've been reading and ( correct me if I'm wrong ) GS does pennying on Wednesdays and BB does them on Mondays... If you wait to get them after that day, like Friday after a Wednesday drop, chances are that they are gone (trashed) right?

#79 SirChadlyOC

SirChadlyOC

Leveling up builds character

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

Ok guys, so I've been reading and ( correct me if I'm wrong ) GS does pennying on Wednesdays and BB does them on Mondays... If you wait to get them after that day, like Friday after a Wednesday drop, chances are that they are gone (trashed) right?

GameStop pennies on random week days, but it seems like Tuesday-Thursday are the most popular days. The most important job of the "Game Advisor" who opens (part-time lackey, not the manager on duty) is to apply the price changes for that day. When he/she comes across a "$0.01" sticker, he is supposed to remove these items, which usually means to put them by the back door to be removed with trash at the end of the day. Therefore, you usually have to get to GameStop on that day to have the best chances. You might get lucky a day or two after that, but any chance after that relies on it being accidentally left on the sales floor.

#80 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

It is going to be on the store. Some stores will take them off the shelf, other stores will have them on the shelf for weeks

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#81 david12795

david12795

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:00 AM

GameStop pennies on random week days, but it seems like Tuesday-Thursday are the most popular days. The most important job of the "Game Advisor" who opens (part-time lackey, not the manager on duty) is to apply the price changes for that day. When he/she comes across a "$0.01" sticker, he is supposed to remove these items, which usually means to put them by the back door to be removed with trash at the end of the day. Therefore, you usually have to get to GameStop on that day to have the best chances. You might get lucky a day or two after that, but any chance after that relies on it being accidentally left on the sales floor.

How do you know which guides are pennied that day?
Tradelist
Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: 5155-4755-9214

#82 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:25 AM

You have to offer...favors...to the manager.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-The Office season 8
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#83 sacreddoctor

sacreddoctor

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:07 AM

How do you know which guides are pennied that day?

You send someone like me some paypal cash and i'll tell ya!

#84 hellmutt

hellmutt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:47 AM

Going off some of the earlier comments relating to finding guides on Best Buy, I noticed if you plug in 'guide' into the search column it turns up "68" game guides, but when you click it, it only shows you 54. I was trying to figure out what the other 14 are... Maybe those are imminently pennying? One that I've been tracking is Lego Batman, which is still on the shelves at my Best Buy but not listed here online.

54 items found for " guide " in All Categories > Video Games & Toys

Shop Category
Game Guides (68)

#85 boneless

boneless

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

I've been thinking that the last time BB dropped guides on Mon, some workers said they dropped all weekend before the monday. I'm wondering if this might be true this time too. I'll try some tomorrow, what were the ones we were expecting to drop?

#86 Shadowedge

Shadowedge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

Going off some of the earlier comments relating to finding guides on Best Buy, I noticed if you plug in 'guide' into the search column it turns up "68" game guides, but when you click it, it only shows you 54. I was trying to figure out what the other 14 are... Maybe those are imminently pennying? One that I've been tracking is Lego Batman, which is still on the shelves at my Best Buy but not listed here online.

54 items found for " guide " in All Categories > Video Games & Toys

Shop Category
Game Guides (68)

There are 47 guides under 'Video Games' and 21 under 'PC Games', and both of those numbers match the ones listed. The 'missing' 14 are ones that are double counted in both the 'Video Games' and 'PC Games' category, like both Fallout 3 guides and both Resident Evil 5 guides.

I've been thinking that the last time BB dropped guides on Mon, some workers said they dropped all weekend before the monday. I'm wondering if this might be true this time too. I'll try some tomorrow, what were the ones we were expecting to drop?

From earlier in the thread:

The following guides have been removed from the Best Buy web site. They have NOT dropped yet but are likely for future drops:

Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Fable II
Halo 3
Haze
The Legend Of Spyro: Dawn Of The Dragon
Lego Batman
Lego Indiana Jones
Metal Gear Solid IV LE
Mysims Kingdom
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Vol. 2: Pokedex
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

If I missed any, PM me and let me know.

#87 PapaSmerf

PapaSmerf

Central Scrutinizer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

I also remembered it said that the last drop started over the weekend and tried some BB's yesterday. From the list above:

Fable II, Spyro, Batman and MGS4 LE were all full price.
CoD4, Indiana Jones, My Sims Kingdom were all $9.99 and Halo 3 < $9.99.
Gears of War 2 (soft) was also $9.99.

It seems they are starting to keep some of these guides on the rack longer at reduced prices.

Didn't BB have Last Remnant? I was looking for that one as well, but couldn't find one. Fable II was also out at a lot of BB's. I was a bit surprised by that as I thought that one was pretty prolific.

The very first BB I tried had none of the guides that were missing from the website, so I thought I might be on to something before I tracked down a Fable II at another.

Edited by PapaSmerf, 06 April 2009 - 12:42 AM.

#88 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

<shakes head> Posts speculating about what might drop and what has the possibility TO drop ALSO belong in the discussion thread.

Geez people, I thought ya were actually getting better bout not clogging this up with useless shit.

Unless you have DROP INFO, keep the yammering to the(LINK>>>> Discussion<<< LINK, so ya can't say 'duhhh where is it') thread. Thanks.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#89 camelking6969

camelking6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:44 AM

You have to offer...favors...to the manager.

that is freakin hillarious lmao foor 30 min:applause::D:)
[url=ign.com]

#90 PapaSmerf

PapaSmerf

Central Scrutinizer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:51 AM

Alright IATCG, I assume my post is OK since I actually got off my arse and checked some guide prices, but I do want to know if Last Remnant is/was a BB guide or if I have to rely on much luck and a benevolent GS manager to see it. I have tried posting such (in the past) in the discussion thread and the only answer back is an echo. Like you, I wish it were not so.