Wii MotionPlus and Wii Sports Resort - General Info - Out now

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
51RA6VjjyrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Today, Nintendo finally announced some information on the Wii MotionPlus accessory and Wii Sports Resort. The two will be released a month apart (Likely to ensure the WM+ gets released in time for EA's Grand Slam Tennis), but they will still have a bundle when Wii Sports Resort comes out.

Release Dates
Wii MotionPlus
US: June 8th
EU: June 12th

Wii Sports Resort
US: July 26th
EU: July 24th
JP: June 25th

Pricing
Wii MotionPlus: $19.99 MSRP
Wii Sports Resort/Wii MotionPlus bundle: $49.99 MSRP

DO NOT buy the WM+ by itself from GameStop, as they have it priced above the MSRP at $25. If you want to get a WM+, either go with one of the game bundles (Tiger Woods 10, Wii Sports Resort, etc.), or if you just want the WM+ by itself, buy it at another store like Amazon, that has it priced at or below the MSRP.

Iwata Asks
These Nintendo interviews provide quite a bit of interesting information and insight into the development process. Topics discussed include things like challenges during development, anecdotes, and solutions to overcome any issues.
Iwata Asks: Wii MotionPlus
Iwata Asks: Wii Sports Resort

Other Information
Much like the past rumors stated, Wii MotionPlus has been confirmed to ship housed inside a full-body Wiimote Jacket. However, it is only attached to the jacket via a simple locking mechanism, so if the need arises, removing it is as easy as unlocking the base, pushing the gray buttons on the sides, and taking it out. [Source]
First-Party Supported Games: Wii Sports Resort (WM+ Bundle only), Span Smasher
Third-Party Supported Games: Virtua Tennis 2009 (Sega, bundles in Europe only), Grand Slam Tennis (EA Sports, bundles in Europe only), Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (EA Sports, WM+ Bundle available), Red Steel 2 (Ubi Soft, WM+ exclusive, Bundle available), Academy of Champions, Rage of the Gladiator.
Hinted and Unconfirmed Support: Legend of Zelda Wii.

Wii Sports Resort Games
We know that there will be 12 games in WSR:
Archery
Frisbee (Frisbee Catch w/ Dogii, Frisbee Golf)
Basketball (Free-Throw Competition, 3-on-3)
Cycling
Canoeing (1-4 players)
Power Cruising
Table Tennis
Air Sports (Island Tour, Dogfighting, Skydiving)
Bowling (WM+ Enhanced; Regular 10-pin, 100-pin, Spin Control)
Swordplay (One-on-One Duel, Speed-Slicing, Survival)
Golf (WM+ Enhanced; Original courses and new Resort courses)
Wakeboarding

There will also be a "Stamp" system, which means stamps serve as trophies for achievements like getting a bullseye three times in Archery.
Compiliation of all the shorts

WSR Japanese Shorts (Showing hand motions) (Youtube took all of them down):
[hiddenlist]Swordplay
Frisbee
Archery
Golf
Power Cruising
Air Sports
Basketball
Bowling
Canoeing
Table Tennis
Cycling
Wakeboarding[/hiddenlist]

Japanese "Experience" commercials (Youtube took all of them down):
These "experience" videos follow a format, where a comedian goes up against a pro in the sport while the other part of the duo plays the role of the narrator/interviewer. (Ninety-Nine is the name of the comedy duo; They previously worked on the Hot Mario series of commercials) After the competition, the pro talks about playing the game.
[hiddenlist]Swordplay
Archery
Golf part 1
Golf part 2
Basketball Part 1
Basketball Part 2
Table Tennis Part 1
Table Tennis Part 2
Canoeing[/hiddenlist]

US "Challenge" commercials (Youtube took all of them down):
It's pretty much the same deal as the Japanese "Experience" series with Ninety-Nine: A comedian goes up against a pro while the other comedian does commentary, then the pro talks about the experience after the match is over.
[hiddenlist]
Golf
Swordplay
Archery
Canoeing
Table Tennis

Golf
Swordplay
Archery
Canoeing
Table Tennis
[/hiddenlist]

Previews for Wii Sports Resort:
[hiddenlist]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=41128
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-hands-on-with-wii-sports-resort-134806.phtml
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/wii-sports-resort-hands-on
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210935/wii-sports-resort-hands-on
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174561&p=44
http://e3.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696138/Wii-Sports-Resort-Preview.html[/hiddenlist]

Aggregates: MetaCritic, GameRankings

Pre-Order Information

Last edited by a moderator:
$20 seems too steep. I'd even think that at $15. So not thrilled about that...

Coming in a new jacket is fine. Some people are actually angry about this. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Almost two months in between WM+ -> WSR seems ridiculous. Let's be honest - how much time could you REALLY need to tweak that game? It was announced some 8+ months ago, I have to assume it was in developer for six before that. Come on. The average owner isn't going to understand a damn thing about it, and sending it out alone like this seems weird. Maybe EA will capitalize on the functionality, but I can't even really see that happening.

Guess we'll see how this all does/does not work out.

[quote name='Strell']
Coming in a new jacket is fine. Some people are actually angry about this. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.[/quote]
I hate the jackets, they make my hand sweat ...

I wasnt excited about it that much to begin with, but that jacket really bothers me.

Gonna take some really strong developer support for me to buy it.

There's nothing stopping you from performing a dissection.

It's like getting angry that they put candy in wrappers.

[quote name='Strell']There's nothing stopping you from performing a dissection.

It's like getting angry that they put candy in wrappers.[/quote]

That all depends, it may be removable it may not be you dont know. Maybe its just sitting in a sleeve it can be pulled out of. Maybe its sitting in one it needs to be cut out of. Maybe, its attached with adhesive, which makes the most sense if it isnt removable. We wont know until they tell us, or until it comes out.

What if its like getting angry that your candy is glued to a wrapper? That would make perfect sense to most people.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Amazon has a zoomable picture of the WM+, and you can see a gray nub sticking out of the jacket where the WM+ is. I'd bet that the nub (and one on the other side), along with the curved bottom, are the things that are keeping the WM+ in the jacket.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001TOQ8NO/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20[/quote]

Those little grey things look like they push in for connecting the Wiimote. It looks like the whole thing may slide out witha bit of working with it. only time will tell tho.

Still waiting to see what kind of dev support it gets before I commit any money =P

I am not a fan of the jackets at all. I sincerely hope that the jacket is removable.

The fact that Sports Resort comes out a month later is like some sort of sick joke. Just when you think Nintendo can't possibly be any more ignorant, they prove you wrong. So this is really a July 26 purchase instead of June 8.

[quote name='Zing']
The fact that Sports Resort comes out a month later is like some sort of sick joke. Just when you think Nintendo can't possibly be any more ignorant, they prove you wrong.[/QUOTE]
This was to support 3rd party games Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis that come out the following week. It would be an even worse move to let the 3rd party support sit and rot when the main selling point of those games is the motion plus.

[quote name='Mad D']This was to support 3rd party games Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis that come out the following week. It would be an even worse move to let the 3rd party support sit and rot when the main selling point of those games is the motion plus.[/quote]
So Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis are coming a week later? Will there be any game that uses the WM+ at launch?

[quote name='dcfox']So Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis are coming a week later? Will there be any game that uses the WM+ at launch?[/quote]

http://kotaku.com/5211856/the-first-three-games-you-can-play-with-motionplus

As of now there are three third-party games coming out prior to the release of Wii Sports Resort that will support MotionPlus.

Sega's Virtua Tennis 2009 hits on May 19, Electronic Arts' Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 hits on June 16 and EA's Grand Slam Tennis hits on June 18.

[quote name='Kaoz']I hate the jackets, they make my hand sweat ...

I wasnt excited about it that much to begin with, but that jacket really bothers me.

Gonna take some really strong developer support for me to buy it.[/quote]

My hand sweats regardless. I just don't get any cakey film of sweat with the jacket. :)

Considering the 4th picture on Amazon shows a jacketed Wiimote+Motion+ and a non-jacketed Wiimote+motion+, I'm not sure what the fuss is about ...

Regarding Wiimote accessories: I ditched the wrist straps early on, but I do like having the jackets on ... it more accurately contours the hand and the ridges enhance grip.

And cleanup's a breeze!

The 4th pic was an old stock photo from e3 I believe, if you look at the newest picture (1st one), you'll notice that the bottom of the WM+ is now curved outwards, like the lid on a butter tray. I would imagine that outward curve is part of what keeps the WM+ in the jacket.

[quote name='Cao Cao']The 4th pic was an old stock photo from e3 I believe, if you look at the newest picture (1st one), you'll notice that the bottom of the WM+ is now curved outwards, like the lid on a butter tray. I would imagine that outward curve is part of what keeps the WM+ in the jacket.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've looked at those pictures, but I see about the same amount of curve in what you're calling the e3 photo and the newest photo. Not enough of a difference, anyways.

But time will tell.

I have a special plastic case I use for my remote so I am a little annoyed that the case will not accomodate motion+ but honestly, I knew that when I bought the case so its my fault. Also the case was only 5$, and I can still use the nunchuck piece so I shouldn't be whining.

I do think this is too much for the accessory, and like many others I think it should have been included at launch even if it made the system and remotes cost a little more. If it was included at launch then it would be compatible with all games and would be less confusing overall. We would be getting a better value if it was compatible with all games though, not just certain upcoming games if the developer chooses to use motion plus on their game. So it would have been worth it to have it just built in as part of the standard remote from the start. Nintendo is also splitting the user base by doing this, into those that have motion plus and those that do not. They are also making it even more confusing for Wii users by adding yet ANOTHER controller that is required to play certain games.

Releasing it later makes it just like every other peripheral Nintendo has released, and it will only be used for a handful of games instead of all of them like it should be. Frankly I am sick of the amount of peripherals required to use the Wii console. It would be nice if everything could be played with just the remote and nunchuck that comes in the box, or maybe just one additional controller like the classic controller.

I will buy Wii Sports Resort because I want the game and I got a lot of enjoyment out of the first Wii Sports. I suspect resort will not disappoint, but if it does the resale value of it will be so high that I will not have to worry about losing money on it since it will sell for full price or more on the secondary market. That and I have giftcards to pay for it.

[quote name='Strell']$20 seems too steep. I'd even think that at $15. So not thrilled about that...[/QUOTE]

Not to defend Nintendo, but compared to the $20 it costs for a nunchuk, $20 seems cheap for WM+. Of course both accessories are overpriced if they really want to help wide adoption. It's silly that both of these attachments are over $10. I know Nintendo rarely sells anything at a loss, but this is the one accessory where I believe it would have benefited them to do so, if they aren't already. We won't really know until someone gets a chance to take it apart.

Eh, $20 MSRP means cheapass price of $10-15. Still adds to the already high price of a controller, but I'll get a couple. I still don't really give a crap about 1:1 detection, but I love plastic accessories. I wonder if developers will offer multiple control options for games with/without Motion+ the way some games have optional nunchuk support.

Ya know, I'm surprised the $20 doesn't really bother me.

HOPEFULLY 2 things happen:
1) Wii Sports Resorts is just as good, if not better, than Wii Sports
2) Not only do we get more games that will USE the WM+, but the games themselves have to be good. Personally, I still use my Balance Board for Wii Fit only. :(

[quote name='Cao Cao']The 4th pic was an old stock photo from e3 I believe, if you look at the newest picture (1st one), you'll notice that the bottom of the WM+ is now curved outwards, like the lid on a butter tray. I would imagine that outward curve is part of what keeps the WM+ in the jacket.[/quote]

Nintendo has to get the Motion+ into the jacket somehow - also looking at pictures it doesn't look like there's a barrier of rubber between the wiimote and the addon.

I think you'll be able to remove it from the jacket quite easily without damaging the jacket.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the $20 price point on this sucker. For the time being, it isn't an accessory that's required like a nunchuk typically is. Yet, unlike the classic controller, zapper, and wheel it's pretty much guaranteed that Nintendo will be selling at least 2 of these per household/Wii owner. So they could probably afford to sell these at $10-15 with no problem.

Then again, I (and I'm sure many others) will end up buying these at MSRP anyway, so for Nintendo, why not?

I'm at least thankful for being that stingy guy that stopped at buying two Wii controller "sets". Everyone else has to bring their own crap to my parties. It's the N64 controller days all over again :lol:

Yes, because they totally never bundle accessories with games, amirite?

*pulls curtain over the shelves of Animal Crossing, Metroid Pinball, N64 Expansion Pak, Mario Kart Wii, etc*

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Not to defend Nintendo, but compared to the $20 it costs for a nunchuk, $20 seems cheap for WM+. Of course both accessories are overpriced if they really want to help wide adoption. [/quote]
The fact that Motion Plus is going to be bundled with Wii Sports Resort ensures that it will have a fairly wide adoption.

[quote name='Kaijufan']The fact that Motion Plus is going to be bundled with Wii Sports Resort ensures that it will have a fairly wide adoption.[/quote]
The balance board is in a shit-ton on homes, but it has yet to be implemented in a large number of games.

Granted, I think it would be easier to find a use for this than for the balance board...

[quote name='The Crotch']The balance board is in a shit-ton on homes, but it has yet to be implemented in a large number of games.

Granted, I think it would be easier to find a use for this than for the balance board...[/QUOTE]

This is why I traded my WiiFit into GS for $82. If better games that utilize the board come out, I'll get it again.

As for Sports Resort: I'm reserved.

[quote name='The Crotch']The balance board is in a shit-ton on homes, but it has yet to be implemented in a large number of games.

Granted, I think it would be easier to find a use for this than for the balance board...[/QUOTE]

I think the Dual-Shock showed that you can introduce a new controller for your system and have a good bit of success.

That being said I think the Wiimote +Motion Plus is a touch too big. I'll get Wii Sports resort and probably one more Motion Plus unit, but I'll hold off on others hoping for the Wiimote with Motion Plus built in.

Dual shock wasn't $80. And it had two analog sticks.

Not that I'm sayin' that this won't go over well, or that I don't want it to go over well.

Well...

Wiimote @ $40
Nunchuck @ $20
WM+ @ $20
Classic Controller @ $20
Total @ $100 for a controller package

If you're going to include the classic controller, you might as well count things like pom-pom plastic shells and different colored skins.

[quote name='Zing']Yes, because they totally never bundle accessories with games, amirite?

*pulls curtain over the shelves of Animal Crossing, Metroid Pinball, N64 Expansion Pak, Mario Kart Wii, etc*[/QUOTE]
Yes, Nintendo bundles Nintendo accessories with Nintendo games. I said every game. Meaning Tiger Woods, Virtual Tennis, etc. etc.

Granted, I think it would be easier to find a use for this than for the balance board...[/quote]

This is why. There aren't really that many ways to incorporate the balance board into a game that really improves gameplay. Motion+ has the potential to seriously impact gameplay.

[quote name='The Crotch']Dual shock wasn't $80. And it had two analog sticks.

Not that I'm sayin' that this won't go over well, or that I don't want it to go over well.[/quote]

If you want to upgrade your current wii controllers to the new configuration, it costs $20 per controller.

How much did the dualshock cost per controller?

[quote name='pete5883']Yes, Nintendo bundles Nintendo accessories with Nintendo games. I said every game. Meaning Tiger Woods, Virtual Tennis, etc. etc.[/quote]

That would be a bit overkill once you bought your fifth WM+ enabled game (or third, if you have three controllers, etc).

Plus there'd be some cost-sharing disputes between Nintendo and EA for Tiger Woods and other third party games.

[quote name='tsmvengy']This is why. There aren't really that many ways to incorporate the balance board into a game that really improves gameplay. Motion+ has the potential to seriously impact gameplay.
[/quote]
I keep hearing this, but I really doubt it will be the case. The remote does a fine job as-is when a game is designed with it's limitations in mind. For months I have been reading everyone talk about Motion+ as if it is the second coming of Video Game Jesus (he wears a little red plumbers cap, has blue spiky fur and charges you for DLC add-on prayer).

Realistically, Nintendo will make a few games that use the new accessory well and a few that don't. Third parties will get lucky and collectively make a couple of games that work well. If after two and a half years most developers still can't get the hang of the limited motion detection of the remote, why are they suddenly going to be better at implementing a much more complicated/sensitive controller?

Don't even get me started on the mess of translating true three-dimensional actions into what is effectively a 2-D space and all the gamer complaints that would go along with it.

I'm still buying a couple of these.

[quote name='tsmvengy']
If you want to upgrade your current wii controllers to the new configuration, it costs $20 per controller.

How much did the dualshock cost per controller?[/quote]
I dunno. I don't have any dualshocks. But my understanding is that those are pretty damn minor upgrades on the regular sixaxis controller.

[quote name='The Crotch']I dunno. I don't have any dualshocks. But my understanding is that those are pretty damn minor upgrades on the regular sixaxis controller.[/QUOTE]

Not the Dualshock 3, the original Dual Shock (and the Dual Analog) controllers introduced midway into the PSones existence. The original PSone controllers included just a Dpad for input.

In fairness, the Balance Board has been out for less than a year in the US. Before its release, many thought that Wii Fit will fail miserably, or find moderate success at best. Instead, it has been a runaway system seller (and yes, it is a system seller to many women). Putting all of that aside, it still has a fair number of games using it or planning to.

Wii Fit
All Star Cheer Squad
The Incredible Maze (WW)
Jillian Michaels' Fitness Ultimatum 2009
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip
Skate It
Snowboard Riot (WW)
Tetris Party (WW)
We Ski
We Ski and Snowboard
Wii Music
Winter Sports 2: The Next Challenge
Imagine Fashion Party

Don King Boxing
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Punch-Out!!
Yoga Wii
EA Sports Active: Personal Trainer
Gold's Gym Cardio Workout

That second group is games not yet out, but almost all of those titles will be out within one year of the Balance Board's release. That's incredible support for a peripheral in its first year of release. In fact, I'm not sure I can recall one that got more support. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Wii Sports Resort feature some functionality. Those games may not be sellers for many, but you can hardly bash Nintendo for not supporting it so far.

A preview with Virtua Tennis 2009 confirmed that taking the WM+ out of the jacket will be no problem; it's held in there with a simple locking mechanism: just unlock, push the gray buttons, and remove.
http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/WiiMotionPlusTested.aspx

There’s a new, elongated rubber Wii Remote sleeve to go with the newer, longer controller, once assembled. There’s also a chunky locking mechanism on the under-side of the device, cunningly hidden by all the glossy publicity photos. Unlocked, a squeeze on the two buttons on the unit’s sides will allow its insertion or removal. Locked, this becomes impossible.

bread's done
Back