Looking for GameCube controllers... any suggestions?

ejamer

Banned
Since getting a Wii, I've been delighted to start a collection of GameCube titles at the same time. There are many good games I missed the first time around, and now you can get them dirt cheap if you look around and are a bit persistent.
:)

So far, I've been using a Wavebird to play my games. It's great, but is missing everyone's favorite "last gen" technology: rumble. So I'm been watching for a pair of regular (official Nintendo-made) controllers on the cheap at some point.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any that are priced in my budget. They seem to be running between $30 and $35 new in most local stores, and shipping costs make online purchases a bit dicey. I was hoping to pay about $10 per controller. Am I dreaming? Has anyone got a good line on cheap GameCube controllers?

As an interesting side-note, a local Zellers is selling GameCube systems for $50. It's the Paper Mario pack-in version, platinum system, and 1 controller. Pretty tempting option as a "backup system" for travelling of when my wife is commandeering the TV!

depends on what kind of games your into... list some games that you enjoy playing and i'll try to point you to the right directions

i would look into gamestop for a used controller, they're 14.99 and with a coupon and edge card it can drop down some more.

I think you're dreaming. I'd just bite the bullet and buy a new controller, god knows what used Gamestop controllers are hiding in their little grooves.

[quote name='Halo05']I think you're dreaming. I'd just bite the bullet and buy a new controller, god knows what used Gamestop controllers are hiding in their little grooves.[/quote]

Sigh... Kind of thought so, but wanted to ask anyway. :D

The $15 used price that ets mentioned is pretty reasonable. I was hoping to find new controllers to prevent any problems or issues, but most Nintendo gear is pretty durable. Maybe I'll go 50/50 and get one new one for me, and one used for when friends come play.

Thanks guys!

[quote name='ets']depends on what kind of games your into... list some games that you enjoy playing and i'll try to point you to the right directions.[/quote]

Oh, don't worry about games - I've already got more GameCube titles than I have time to play. Will probably pick up a couple more to finish off my collection, but I've added my current list to this post:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211256&page=4

Thanks again! ;)

You could try Toys R Us, if you got'em near you. The one near me was clearancing out the GC controllers I saw at....I think about 12-14 bucks a pop. Not bad at all, and probably as good as you'll get for something still sealed.

Good luck!

I've got some first party Nintendo controllers I'm willing to part with. If you're interested in buying from another CAG, PM me.

[quote name='Strell']You could try Toys R Us, if you got'em near you. The one near me was clearancing out the GC controllers I saw at....I think about 12-14 bucks a pop. Not bad at all, and probably as good as you'll get for something still sealed.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think they were $14.98 at TRU. Decent deal.

Nice tip on TRU, thanks! I've checked one store so far (no luck) and will keep my eyes open.

The Play-Asia controllers look pretty sweet, but I already got some extension cables on the cheap when planning to get a controller or two. Might have jumped the gun on that one, eh?

Funny that you mentioned durability... I completely destroyed a GCN controller "playing" Def Jam Vendetta. The game is, shall we say, no longer with us... nor is the controller. I don't have the strongest hands in the world, but I contorted that poor thing until it the left stick gave out.

Damn you, AKI. You're to blame, not me.

For those that care, the back story is that that Def Jam Vendetta is notorious for disallowing finishers to completely drain your opponents energy bar, resulting in their very rapid rebound and your complete destruction. When this 'shift' begins, there's nothing you can do but sandbag it, or, as I did, hopelessly attempt to defend yourself. Goodbye, GameCube controller.

Ok, and maybe I have *teeny* rage issues, too.

[quote='Cube Daddy;5808695]...

Ok, and maybe I have *teeny* rage issues, too.[/quote]

Nerd Rage Power On!

On the bright side, you're not the only one. I remember back when it all started, the time I unplugged our Atari 2600 and kicked it down the stairs... I'm much better now, but nerd rage can still strike on occasion.
;)

Regarding controllers, I found that EB Games is selling some used official controllers for $15 with a 25% discount right now. Will probably go that route, since I haven't been able to find ANY new first-party controllers in town.

(Our local EB Games also had a slightly dirty Wavebird for $20... hmm...)

The only time I really NR (the abbreviated clinical term) is with fighting games. I loves me some fighting games, but I prefer ones that allow you to find a rhythm and are very responsive on the controls.

By the way, that dirty bird of a Wavebird seems to exist in every EB in my area. I'm pretty sure that, before they're repackaged for sale, someone takes them to an official EB Sullying Station where they are coated in grime and the crevasses are filled in with mashed cookies.

[QUOTE='Cube Daddy;5811385]The only time I really NR (the abbreviated clinical term) is with fighting games. I loves me some fighting games, but I prefer ones that allow you to find a rhythm and are very responsive on the controls.

By the way, that dirty bird of a Wavebird seems to exist in every EB in my area. I'm pretty sure that, before they're repackaged for sale, someone takes them to an official EB Sullying Station where they are coated in grime and the crevasses are filled in with mashed cookies.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I've seen Wavebirds fitting that description in Gamestops in my area as well :lol:

I forgot about this thread but I was thiiiiiis close to buying a used Wavebird at GS a couple days ago. Then I looked more closely at the controller. *shudders* It broke my heart because it was one of the gray ones too.

If anyone is still looking for a factory sealed gamecube controller, I have one and would be willing to trade. :)

It's gray, and obviously never been opened.

What's wrong with third party memory cards? I've been using one for about year and have had no problems... I'll check and see what kind it is later tonight. (Edit: Mad Catz 1019)

Hope this doesn't mean I'm screwed, because there is lots of data on there I'd rather not lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont se why you wouldn't buy a 3rd party memory card. I have an original and 3rd party... and of the two neither have failed on me... the 3rd party has seen much more action too.

As for controllers. I'd avoid the pelican wireless one, I have one that I haven't gotten to work since buying it. The wired one made by Pelican also broke, the C-stick was glitched. I'd keep an eye out for Wavebirds at gamestop. They dont differentiate between 3rd party wireless / wavebird... so you can get one there for 17.99

I just bought 3rd party memory card and controller off ebay for like 3 and 5 bucks each respectively.

I have been using 3rd party PS2 memory card and have had no problem thus far.
I will keep you guys updated :D

I bought a GameStop brand controller and it works really well. I dropped it one time and now there's a loose piece inside that makes a noise when I shake it. Other than that, I can't think of anything bad about it. All the buttons and analog sticks work. There's also a turbo button that can really help in some games. I think I got it new for $10.

[quote name='vince220']I bought a GameStop brand controller and it works really well. I dropped it one time and now there's a loose piece inside that makes a noise when I shake it. Other than that, I can't think of anything bad about it. All the buttons and analog sticks work. There's also a turbo button that can really help in some games. I think I got it new for $10.[/QUOTE]

I also have a Gamestop brand gamecube controlller. It's wireless. I prefer wireless, over wired. I'd recommend the Gamestop brand that is wireless, also my husband has a wireless Gamestop brand he has had no problems with it, he would recommend either, whichever works best for each individual.

3rd party GameCube controllers aren't that bad. I have two of them, but sadly, the grooves for the C-stick fell of on one, and the groove on the control-stick fell off on the other. But other than that, they are good.

I've got two MadCatz GC controllers, and both of those broke within two days of using them. I usually only buy first-party, but I was on a budget when I bought these. I won't be doing so again.

bread's done
Back