"Original Formula" Mt Dew & Pepsi

ninju D

CAGiversary!
I was at my local grocery store today and saw a display of Throwback Mt Dew & Pepsi. It claims to have natural sugar instead of corn syrup as a sweetener like olden times (or south of the border). I've had Coke with natural sugar and that stuff is damn good. Has anyone seen/tried either of these yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that was coming, but I really haven't looked for it. When did they stop using natural sugar? I'm wondering if I've ever had that version.

Someone posted a blog about it yesterday, I'm keen to try it as it does taste much better. I would be willing to pay a small premium for it, so hopefully they keep it around instead of just having it for a limited time.

Teh interweb sez: many food makers switched to HFCS in the late 70's/early 80's because it was cheaper than cane sugar.

I've had them both they are pretty good. Not huge taste difference buts its there. A local grocery store has them for 99 cents for a 20 oz

[quote name='Thongsy']Someone posted a blog about it yesterday, I'm keen to try it as it does taste much better. I would be willing to pay a small premium for it, so hopefully they keep it around instead of just having it for a limited time.[/quote]

Your sig above the T looks like two huge nuts.

I'm drinking the Mtn. Dew Throwback right now as I type this. It's pretty good, but it doesn't really taste all that different from the HFC version

[quote name='ninju D']Teh interweb sez: many food makers switched to HFCS in the late 70's/early 80's because it was cheaper than cane sugar.[/quote]

So does my economics textbook. :lol:

Maybe Coca-Cola will go back to their original formula from before 1903. It'd make my caffeince addiction go away, that's for damn sure.

It's pretty delicious. When I had it, I thought it honestly tasted a little like kool-aid.
I went around to a couple stores last night trying to find a 12 or 24 pack of it, but it appears they were only released in 20 oz bottles. Has anyone seen it in can form?
Also, all the places I went to last night didn't have the pepsi.

With the increasing popularity of cane sugar based pops I doubt they'll end the run on this after six quick weeks. It would be very dumb on thier part.

I bought a 12pk can of both Dew and Pepsi today. It was the same price as regular ones. I'd imagine if it sells good they'll keep it on selves at a 10-20% price increase. It's pretty good and if they keep making it ill keep getting it even with a higher price.

i heard they still made coke that way but i didnt realize pepsi was that way at one point too. if anything id be down for it id also like them to bring back pepsi blue. that stuff was liquid crack and went well with taco bell.

Got a 12 pack of the Dew a few days ago, fucking love it. Was about to stop drinking dew since everything else I drink is natural sugar, but now dew won me back.

[quote name='ninju D']Teh interweb sez: many food makers switched to HFCS in the late 70's/early 80's because it was cheaper than cane sugar.[/QUOTE]

...as a result of corn farmer lobbyists. Yet something else we can blame on politics. :lol:

I haven't tried Mountain Dew throwback, but Pepsi throwback is good stuff. I found some last week and have almost finished off a 12 pack. I'm just waiting until has a slightly better price on Pepsi products so I don't have to pay $4.50+ per carton.

[quote name='ducttapeBigSexy']Oh man, I'm gonna have to try some of this - however, I doubt it'll dethrone the best soda ever made, Diet Mountain Dew.[/quote]

:puke:

That stuff tastes like chemicals, not soda.

I'm interested to try the new mt. dew though.

and luchadors and prostitutes!

...hmm. wonder why so many of them are trying to come over here? too much sex, drugs, and professional wrestlers in sparkly masks?

Saw these at my local Publix. Have the 8pck cans and 20oz. bottles of both the pepsi and mt. dew. It's nice to see the classic dew logo again instead of the crappy new one as well.

Despite having mostly given up regular soda in favor of diet , I might have to try these. Now if only Pepsi would hurry up and come out with that much rumored Diet Pepsi with stevia.

Found the 20oz Dew today at Walgreens. It was the last bottle they had in the fridge which was right next to at least six-seven rows of the "regular" artificial sugar based Dew. Forgot to check if they had any cases in. No signs of Pepsi either.

Taste wise compared to the artificial sugar based Dew its not as ultra sweet tasting but its much smoother. Its very enjoyable and certainly worth trying out. If you are looking for something with cane sugar that still has that ultra sweet taste to it I'd recommend the Green Apple flavor from Jones Soda. It does have a little of a sour to it which you would expect given the flavor. But it certainly hits the sweet spot.

[quote name='Anexanhume']:puke:

That stuff tastes like chemicals, not soda.

I'm interested to try the new mt. dew though.[/quote]

Yeah, tasty chemicals!

dam, i need to get my hands on them.. i mean the Pepsi & the dew. I'll go on the hunt tonight after work....hopefully i can find them, anyone in Miami found any yet?? IM please.

I had a sprite in mexico that used sugar instead of corn sryup BEST sprite ever! I actally asked my local store to import them sadly they would not! This is great. No mt dew will double jack you up!
Im all for it

yay for two chuck norriss's in a row. Double the bad ass!

I hope this becomes the new standard, like how General Mills switched to whole grain.
Besides, sugar is healthier than HFCS, just remember to take sweets in moderation, fellow Americans.

Bought a bottle of both last night.

Wasn't a fan of the Pepsi.

The Dew was thisclose to having me drink non-diet sodas again

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Besides, sugar is healthier than HFCS[/quote]

That's not what the commercials from the corn refiners association say!

they make a coke during passover, or whatever, that is koscher.....that is really good. Had the pepsi throwback the other day, didn't care for it....tasted kinda like hat pepsi zero stuff

Just found 12 packs for both Pepsi and Dew today at Super America. They actually had a print out saying "THESE ARE NOT REGULAR PEPSI" and "THESE ARE NOT REGULAR MOUNTAIN DEW" above them. I guess its either because they feel people can't read the Throwback on the box or so people will know right away that neither of these are part of whatever Pepsi product sales they run.

Just put a few in the fridge. Will give a review on Pepsi in a bit.

I had a mountain dew throwback last night with a regular mountain dew and the taste difference was pretty obvious. Hope they keep throwback around forever. :0)

We have had them here in the glass for a long time with Pepsi, Coke, Squirt, and a few others here in So Cal at most Mexican food places. They are good. I can taste the difference more with coke then Pepsi with the real sugar. It is much better. I have read that Coke is going in the other direction they want to make sure that none of the real stuff makes it into the US anymore cause it sells better then the regular stuff they don't like that to much. Most of the states are here in the Desert Southwest but they want to stop with the real stuff down here very soon from what I have herd.

[quote name='DestroVega']i can't find them in CT.... anyone have any CT reports?[/quote]

Likewise, I can't find any in Southern California. Are these only in some states or something?

[quote name='ninju D']I was at my local grocery store today and saw a display of Throwback Mt Dew & Pepsi. It claims to have natural sugar instead of corn syrup as a sweetener like olden times (or south of the border). I've had Coke with natural sugar and that stuff is damn good. Has anyone seen/tried either of these yet?[/QUOTE]

Bought a few 20ozs from Wal Mart. For some reason they were on a random aisle about as far way from the soda aisle as possible.

Throwback Mt Dew tastes like a less carbonated version of Mellow Yellow

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='packerfan10']We have had them here in the glass for a long time with Pepsi, Coke, Squirt, and a few others here in So Cal at most Mexican food places. They are good. I can taste the difference more with coke then Pepsi with the real sugar. It is much better. I have read that Coke is going in the other direction they want to make sure that none of the real stuff makes it into the US anymore cause it sells better then the regular stuff they don't like that to much. Most of the states are here in the Desert Southwest but they want to stop with the real stuff down here very soon from what I have herd.[/quote]I don't know what the fuck you just said, little man, but it was special. Reached out, and touched a brotha's heart.

Subsidies for American corn growers + Tariffs on foreign sugar imports to protect America's small sugar industry= Crappy soda for America.

On a side note, has anyone tried the Dublin Dr. Pepper with cane sugar. I've heard it's very good. For my money, though, nothing tops Ski in a glass bottle.

bread's done
Back