Photo
- - - - -

is it easy to replace the wire plug from a vcr?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:40 AM

well it seems my new puppy chew up the wire right at the plug head part... I did not know that till today when i went to plug in my VCR to dub a homemovie a fireball sort of thing came out of the wire and blew out the power to my house...

guess im just damn lucky i did not fry myself LOL

is it easy to replace the wire do you think i fried the vcr when i plugged it into the wall with the exposed wire??

(long story short my grandfather hates DVDs and will only watch his VCR that is why im using a VCR to dub)
WOOOO I STINK

#2 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

I remember an old man (like 60 or so) having a 52" LCD Samsung....with only a VCR....WTF!
Posted Image

#3 Bretts31344

Bretts31344

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

It is probably easier and safer to just replace the whole VCR. It's not worth fixing the wire and then plugging it in to cause more trouble since it might not work now. Good thing your dog wasn't chewing the wire when you turn it on. :hot:

#4 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:38 AM

Tell your grandfather you hate old people and youll be watching dvds till he comes to his senses.

#5 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

Easy or easy for you?

Aren't VCRs like 50 cents now anyway?

Posted Image

#6 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

Tell your grandfather you hate old people and youll be watching dvds till he comes to his senses.

The dead VCR can be used to threaten battery to reinforce the statement.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.

#7 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

No offense, but I would have loved to see that fireball come out of the wire :D

#8 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

VCR... :lol:

#9 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

They don't even make VCRs anymore. You can only buy VCR DVD hybrids now. Looks like gramps is getting a DVD player.

#10 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

No offense, but I would have loved to see that fireball come out of the wire :D

well dont really know if it was a fire ball more like the Blue sparks of the expose wire and the feedback probally. made one hell of a bang and a flash bright enough to lite up the other room.... second there my cousin thought i blew myself up
WOOOO I STINK

#11 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

go to salvation army or goodwill and just buy a vcr for like 10 bucks.

Posted Image

#12 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

so you didn't notice the head all chewed up when you were plugging it in?

surprised you didn't get a nice jolt...

#13 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

so you didn't notice the head all chewed up when you were plugging it in?

surprised you didn't get a nice jolt...

just looked on one side and not the other..next time i know to look on both sides. wouldnt be the first time got a hell of a jolt... About 10 years or so ago i pulled a plug out of one of those extesion cords.. Well one of the metal Things got stuck in the plug thing and i grabbed ahold of the thing (not watching what i was doing)

it make one hell of a zap noise and my hand hurt for around 2 to 3 days.. gave me one hell of a jolt

the head isnt chewed , its right where the head and the wire meet... if it was just the head it would be very simple to fix
WOOOO I STINK

#14 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

if you go to a hardware store you can simply fix the wire... kit cost probably 5-10... but one could easily find a new vcr for that much anyways...

#15 Chuplayer

Chuplayer

Anticitizen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

It's possible the VCR is bad, but replacing the plug is simple as shit. I did this for my neighbor a few months ago. If anything, it's a cheap fix if it works, and if it doesn't work, you didn't spend a lot of money on it.

1. Go to hardware store and get a replacement plug (yes, they do make replacement plugs) and wire strippers if you don't have one of your own.

1.5 Make sure the damn VCR is unplugged even though the cable blew the Fuck up. Don't do anything stupid.

2. Go home and snip off the old plug. Snip off all the chewed up wire, too. You're going to end up with a shorter cable, but whatever.

3. Cut the insulation on the cable back or cut the two halves of the cable right down the middle. (You'll know what you need to do when you see it.)

4. Strip the two wires.

5. Disassemble the replacement plug.

6. Attach the two wires to the replacement plug. If you're lucky, you got a plug that lets you just screw the wires down.

7. Reassemble the replacement plug.

8. Dub some home movies.

Even if the VCR doesn't work, you got wire strippers and gained some experience. I do shit a hundred times more complicated than this at work every day. Believe me when I say that you can do this. It's mega simple.

What probably happened was that your puppy chewed up the cable, and that was probably the bigger problem here. The hot and neutral cables were probably crossed since your puppy chewed through the insulation and made the two meet.

The reason I don't believe this fried your VCR is because no electricity probably made it to the VCR in the first place. When hot meets neutral like that, the circuit went to the path of least resistance and fireworks happened. There is less resistance going straight to neutral than going through your VCR.

And good thing your puppy didn't chew through the cable while the thing was plugged in. Otherwise the AC electricity would have passed through him, and that is not good for anybody, much less a young puppy. I've buzzed my hands a few times at work with exposed AC, but I know some people who have really jolted themselves by accident. I'll probably join the club someday, but I know it hurts like hell.
Boycotting Digital Press for blatant anti-Semitism.