List of all free Xbox Live Marketplace content

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6369 replies to this topic

#2131 bat0nas

bat0nas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

It is not modding. You are not modifying any files at all. You are just copying them, which is what Microsoft allows with the "Copy" and "Move" functions.

Getting the XBLA game unmodified from the Internet is the same as getting it unmodified from your friend.

On the other hand, if you were modifying the XBLA files from trial to full without paying, then yes, this is modding, and this requires a modded console. Microsoft does not want this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but xbox uses it's own file system to store content which is not readable normally in the PC. Once you format the USB memory stick in Xbox to use it, Xbox changes the file system.

I didn't know that you can put Xbox content on a normal FAT/FAT32/NTFS. That's strange.

That's why I thought it should be somehow modified.

#2132 XP1

XP1

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but xbox uses it's own file system to store content which is not readable normally in the PC. Once you format the USB memory stick in Xbox to use it, Xbox changes the file system.

Correct.

I didn't know that you can put Xbox content on a normal FAT/FAT32/NTFS. That's strange.

The Xbox 360 uses FATX, which is modified FAT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FATX

Even though the OS doesn't natively support it, there are programs that can read and write FATX, so you would not put the XBLA game on normal FAT/FAT32/NTFS.

For discs, the Xbox 360 simply reads the CD's or DVD's standard file system, readable on any computer natively.

That's why I thought it should be somehow modified.

It's not modified if the files aren't modified. They are exactly the same, just using a third-party tool to read and write to the file system.

#2133 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

Didn't this come with XBoxes free a few years ago? Pretty sure I have this on my HD and never bought it. Either way, good find for those that don't have it!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't even read the last page of the thread.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2134 bat0nas

bat0nas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

It's not modified if the files aren't modified. They are exactly the same, just using a third-party tool to read and write to the file system.

Thanks.
Everything's clear now.
The only doubt left is - how MS tolerates usage of those third party tools. If files are not modified and correctly placed in the fatx file system, most probably this is totally transparent and MS won't log it as a mod.

#2135 Nebenator

Nebenator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

This thread has now been "Wikified", feel free to put in XBL Marketplace content you find, or content that was previously found that I missed.

#2136 Andami

Andami

Buy Because it's on Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

Thank you, Nebenator :)

#2137 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

Great work :applause:
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#2138 NoDAK

NoDAK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Instead of messing about with USB sticks or customer service, you can now apparently download it straight from the marketplace.

Nice! Didn't realize it went free. Now, I can finally delete it of the HDD. It's so full that every megabyte counts.

This thread has now been "Wikified", feel free to put in XBL Marketplace content you find, or content that was previously found that I missed.

Thanks, that's very convenient. Hopefully members will exercise restraint and and not abuse the feature.

#2139 XP1

XP1

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

Cool, is this a new forum feature? I haven't seen this before.

#2140 XP1

XP1

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

Can someone tell me the list of free XBLA games from the last month of March?

I know Swarm and Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime were free.
Were there any others?

#2141 Firvagor

Firvagor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

Cool, is this a new forum feature? I haven't seen this before.

Check the front page news (new as of yesterday). Really useful considering one person can't be on top of things every minute.
(Also, edit button)

#2142 XP1

XP1

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

Check the front page news (new as of yesterday). Really useful considering one person can't be on top of things every minute.
(Also, edit button)

Thanks.

Yup, it is new:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=290897

"03-30-2011, 03:01 AM"

#2143 Andami

Andami

Buy Because it's on Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:48 AM

Can someone tell me the list of free XBLA games from the last month of March?

I know Swarm and Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime were free.
Were there any others?

Maybe. Someone told me that the Islands of Wafku or whatever it's called was free, but I don't know if they were just joshing me.

#2144 XP1

XP1

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:18 AM

I edited the wiki: added some new free games, updated new information, corrected grammar, re-worded sentences, and fixed the formatting.

What ever happened to the original post? When I first looked at the edit textbox, there were extra spaces and tab indentations everywhere! It was a formatting mess!
I fixed maybe half. There is still a lot of extra spaces everywhere in random places.
What happened? Someone slept on the spacebar?

#2145 XP1

XP1

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:22 AM

Maybe. Someone told me that the Islands of Wafku or whatever it's called was free, but I don't know if they were just joshing me.

When are where did you hear that?

I don't see any prominent links:
http://www.google.co...ee xbox account

#2146 Andami

Andami

Buy Because it's on Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:54 AM

Sorry, it was actually Zeit 2 that was free. Not too sure why I said IoW. Anyway, I heard it from a guy I know at Digiex. He said it was on the Taiwanese marketplace for free sometime last week, but only for one day. I'll ask him how he knew.

#2147 RedRingOfDeath

RedRingOfDeath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

Nice find!

Also, confirmed it's available to download for US, UK, Canada, and possibly more (I only tried the 3).

REGION-FREE LAZYLINK: http://marketplace.x...107d1?cid=SLink

ROFL. Hexic HD is free...but the theme pack is 50MSP. LOL, how sad. MS gets you however they can :-P

I know the muffin man!

#2148 XP1

XP1

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:23 AM

Sorry, it was actually Zeit 2 that was free. Not too sure why I said IoW. Anyway, I heard it from a guy I know at Digiex. He said it was on the Taiwanese marketplace for free sometime last week, but only for one day. I'll ask him how he knew.

I searched "Zeit" on the Digiex forums:
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Was this a private message instead of a thread?

#2149 Andami

Andami

Buy Because it's on Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:53 AM

Yes, it was a PM.

#2150 XP1

XP1

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

Yes, it was a PM.

Alright, really hoping to get more information. The list would be incomplete, otherwise.

Post updates.

#2151 Bargain Hunter Bob

Bargain Hunter Bob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:31 AM

Thanks for the heads up on Hexic. Free is free, and I've never played it, so it's new to me!
Now Playing:
:360: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2; Walking Dead
:ps3: MLB The Show 13
:3ds: :ds: :wii: :psp: Collecting dust

#2152 kidrocklive

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:32 AM

Alright, really hoping to get more information. The list would be incomplete, otherwise.

Post updates.

unless i missed it you are missing plants vs. zombies from the list.

#2153 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:37 AM

Went and added Hexic HD to my download queue. At least this way if something happens I can re-download it in the future.

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!

#2154 edoubledeezy

edoubledeezy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:24 AM

Would you happen to have a link? I wouldn't mind injecting it onto a flash drive. That's how I got the OXM themes.

#2155 XP1

XP1

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:37 AM

Thanks, I just added Plants vs. Zombies.

Ugh, I keep missing these free regional XBLA games, and Taiwan has gotten a few already since the past year. I guess that I should create a Taiwanese account early.

EDIT:
Doritos Crash Course and Harm's Way have been delisted.

EDIT:
Added Earthworm Jim HD

EDIT:
A couple hours later, Doritos Crash Course and Harm's Way are relisted again.... and now, it is delisted again. I guess it is just maintenance.

Would you happen to have a link? I wouldn't mind injecting it onto a flash drive. That's how I got the OXM themes.

It's not an exclusively free XBLA game. It will show up as a trial if you have not purchased it before.

The exclusively free XBLA games are Aegis Wing, Dash of Destruction, Doritos Crash Course, Hexic HD, Totem Ball, and Yaris. Tinker is exclusively free for Games for Windows - Live.

Edited by XP1, 05 April 2011 - 08:09 AM.

#2156 mikehaggar99

mikehaggar99

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

They changed the links for Doritos Crash Course and Harm's Way. Updated OP with new links.

Edit:
Looks like the change has to be approved.

Here's the updated links:
Doritos Crash Course:
http://marketplace.x...15-d80258410a71

Harm's Way:
http://marketplace.x...15-d80258410a70

And there's another free Your Shape: Fitness Evolved addon released too now called G Series FIT Workout with Gunnar Peterson:
http://marketplace.x...08-9f8fdfdf9c08

-

#2157 Moop

Moop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned somewhere or there is a reason why it hasn't, but is the 'Games room' and the additional games packs not all free?:bouncy: or is it a con to sucker you in?

http://marketplace.x...30901?cid=SLink

#2158 COLDblood

COLDblood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

its not really free... you can get a few free achievements for decorating the lobby and playing a trial game, but you have to buy the games inside.

Kinda like Pinball FX

#2159 ArrenDusk

ArrenDusk

Emperor Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

Although Game Room is technically free, you'll still need to buy the games themselves to play on them. The free game packs add additional games, some arcade themes as well, but no free games on Game Room at all.

Think Pinball FX 2, where that game is also "free" but to actually play you'll need to buy one of the tables.

#2160 Moop

Moop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

Cheers CB, thought that would probably be the case but didnt fancy finding out myself and filling up my tiny HD with trials.:bouncy: