Photo
- - - - -

Contest (CAG Foreplay #62): Win Avalon Code (DS)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:27 AM

As detailed in CAG Foreplay Podcast #62, we have a copy of Avalon Code to give away courtesy of XSEED Games.

Listen to the show for details on how to win (or just copy the trend that you see forming of those that actually listened)! Winner will be announced on the next CAG Foreplay. A winner will be chosen at random.

Thanks again for the prize XSEED Games!

Good luck everyone!

Edited by shipwreck, 07 May 2009 - 10:48 AM.

"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#2 Mr. Mee

Mr. Mee

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:21 AM

I want Avalon Code :(

#3 KingCrow02

KingCrow02

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:32 AM

Twitter is so dead.
Click Here to try GameFly for FREE or start for only $8.95!!

#4 TotallyEpic

TotallyEpic

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

Great podcast, yet again!

I'm gonna have to say Doom probably redefined the first-person genre, will alot of that games gameplay aspects still remaining to this day.

#5 EdsHead

EdsHead

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

Good podcast. Anyway, lens flare was so amazing when I first saw it, and when it caught on, every game did it. Specifically I remember in Ocarina of Time I would just stare at the sky towards the sun a lot. If I didn't waste so much time doing so I might actually have finished the game... I know, I know...

#6 Katra

Katra

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

I think something that was innovative at the time was online multiplayer in addition to the single player storyline. Now it seems like the majority of shooter games have some multiplayer component to them.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 botticus

botticus

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

... 3D space. Unfortunately I think it's still less-refined than 2D after more than a decade.

#8 mxpowar

mxpowar

Menace II Sobriety

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

I would say maybe the "roadie cam" from Gears of War. It really gave that game and the others that copied it a more visceral feeling. A version of the roadie cam was actually used in Lost Odyssey and anything that can give a JRPG a more visceral feel is an amazing achievement, in my opinion.

#9 azurereaver

azurereaver

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

subspace - 'massive' online multiplayer back in '95, could have 200 people logged in to the same 'zone' all killing each other. course they also innovated how to NOT make a profit on such a game and went under with the rest of Virgin.

#10 NateWhs152

NateWhs152

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

Upgrades of any kind. All games now a days allow you to upgrade in some way or another. I first saw it in Altred beast and loved the idea

#11 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

I don't feel like listening... how do I enter?

#12 EchaniDrgn

EchaniDrgn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

I think something truly innovative was the idea of Karma or dynamic storytelling that I first experienced in Fallout 1. (I'm sure there was prior art but this was my first real experience with it) I thought it was rather interesting that the game would respond to you differently based on your previous actions. In most games before that there was a certain script that was followed without regards to your previous conduct. I thought it was awesome that you could play the game a ton of times to see what certain conduct would yield.
Live Search Club Prizes received so far:
Spoiler

#13 PlanMasterSkeem

PlanMasterSkeem

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

Innovative you say? Id go with FFX and voice acting in video games. I mean it really brings the games to life for me. Games haven't been quite the same since.

#14 RawrrSlayer

RawrrSlayer

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

NPC Artificial Intelligence - It's Nice when they take cover, instead of mindlessly rushing to their deaths...And Other Such Things...lol :D

#15 tredole

tredole

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

the 3d environments and polygons of mario 64 blew my mind. i would just run around in circles jumping for hours.

#16 FinalD

FinalD

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

In spite of many promises that were never seen through, I believe Fable had a long list of features that changed the way WRPG developers looked at their games. Where every detail of your character would create a different response from NPCs, I think you've opened up a door to a whole new level of creativity for future games.

While the good/evil morality meter was relatively unsophisticated, it proved itself to be another gateway for artists in the gaming medium. It causes the gamers to often question themselves when they decide to set those little orphans on fire.
I'm going to close this before I ramble on for too long. To put it simply, while the team at Lionheard didn't quite deliver all of their promises their game managed to create quite a stir when it comes to traditional design for roleplaying games.

#17 blackjaw

blackjaw

probably surfing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

FF7 with all of the rendered cutscenes. That game completely transformed how RPG stories were told and got me stuck on the RPG genre.

#18 Masterkyo

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

I heard this game is good but can't afford it :(
"Evil is Funs"

#19 able_to_think

able_to_think

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Gears of War was the first major game to put a major focus on the cover system.
I now HATE the cover system with every bone in my body. I miss the days of half life where you walk in a room and stand and shoot until every one is dead then move th the next room and do it again.

#20 MiNuN

MiNuN

De CoMpUtEr

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

the 3d environments and polygons of mario 64 blew my mind. i would just run around in circles jumping for hours.

I agree with tredole, I was going to post the exact same message! Has to be Super Mario 64 for the first time on N64!

Spoiler

Posted Image

#21 Clarke

Clarke

The Pretender

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

My mind was blown when I found a Dreamcast controller rumble pack that required NO BATTERIES!

But PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox had it built in...

Posted Image

#22 weevles

weevles

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

For me, it was Sony and EverQuest bringing 3D to MMO gaming. That was the start of a lot of long hours sitting in front of the computer that had nothing to do with work or Internet surfing. :p

#23 gregleg

gregleg

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

Showing how old I am -- the jump button.

#24 cyko

cyko

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

Final Fantasy II/IV was innovative because of it's Active Time Battle System. Up to that point, RPGs seemed too boring and slow paced to be worth playing to me because of the turn based battle systems. However, with FFIV, you couldn't just sit there and think. If you took too long, the enemies would crush you while you thought about your next move.

#25 Prowl

Prowl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

This is one we seem to take for granted now, but everyone was scratching their heads when the PS3 came out without this.... force feedback. I remember getting the dual shock 1 on my psx and it changed the way I played games. It added a whole new immersion level and who would have thought little motors in my controller would affect how I play my games!
Xbox Gamertag: Prowl

PSN Network ID: Prowl

#26 WhytePanther

WhytePanther

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

One thing that I think we've started to see getting taken for granted (and even passed over alot) is 8-way shooting in 2D games. Contra and Super Metroid, are great examples of games that by giving you that much extra freedom to attack are then allowed to crank up the craziness with more enemies coming at you from more angles.

#27 FluxDF

FluxDF

"Grrr" face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

I'm gonna go with four controller ports. N64 is the first I remember having it standard on the console. All consoles since have had four controller compatibility. This is the start of multiplayer coop imo. Great fun.

#28 macefield

macefield

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

My vote goes for hand-held/home console connectivity. That keeps the Gamecube hooked up and the Gameboys charged up.

#29 Jrittmayer

Jrittmayer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

When I first got a N64 with Mario 64 I was stunned that for the first time you could go anywhere you wanted, thus introducing open worlds!

#30 strife18

strife18

Finger Ling-ling Good!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

Ahh....the good old light gun.
How I wish I could shoot that damned dog though :P