Photo
- - - - -

Contest (CAG Foreplay #62): Win Avalon Code (DS)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#31 aminaha

aminaha

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I'm gonna go with OOT and its innovations of auto jumping and z-targeting which made for a greater combat system.

#32 GanjasaurusRex

GanjasaurusRex

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Being able to save your game! Back in the NES days, you had to remember a password, anywhere from four or five characters to a huge block of text.

And don't get me started on S's that looked like 5's or the 0's that looked like O's.

I was writing passwords down into the 16-Bit era. Legend of the Mystical Ninja had short "level passwords," but if you wanted the game to remember all your items and equipment, you had to write down a half a page password and hope you got everything right.

All I can say is, thank goodness memory cards made saving economic for game publishers.

Edited by GanjasaurusRex, 08 May 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#33 tyjudd

tyjudd

Huh... Wha...?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:31 PM

I was just walking along, listening to a sorely missed CAG Foreplay, when Shipwreck says "Fish-hooking" and I laughed out loud, then tripped a couple steps... it was great!

Multiple endings - it's gotten much better as of late with Fallout and Fable where actions and your character truly affect the outcome.

#34 Majora2010

Majora2010

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:27 PM

First Person Shooters on consoles.

#35 Gillespee

Gillespee

Super Mario Striker!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:00 AM

3 Dimensions!

Which doesn't mean I hate 2D, I'm quite a fan actually, but 3D gaming has opened up whole new realms of fun.

#36 firesage2000

firesage2000

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

Pyhsics, I first saw it done badly in Driver 2 with my car seemingly trying to flip on every speed bump I went over and it seems that every game out on store shelves has it now.
It has progressed to the point where it is somewhat believable but I guess it will never feel truly real.

#37 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:28 AM

Unlocking content with other discs.

First thought mid-late 1990s
Monster Rancher, put in a regular cd and you get a monster, what a novel concept!

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#38 KongaKing

KongaKing

He who will save us all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:25 AM

Checkpoints that autosave every few mins.

#39 Davram

Davram

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:37 AM

Class customization is something that's def. taken for granted now, but wasn't always around and is basically game breaking anymore. Think about a World of Warcraft or Fallout that wouldn't allow you to choose where you put your abilities or stats or whatever. RPGs today that don't let me customize my level in some way tend to piss me off. Some get away with it because of brilliance in other ways (Persona lets you customize your entire demon set for instance). For the most part though, customization has changed everything about how we level up, even in FPSs nowadays.

#40 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

z targeting from Ocarina of Time

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#41 deftoast

deftoast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

When i saw Doom running on a computer in my high school library... (with the librarian 15 ft away, unaware.)
I couldn't believe how smoothly it ran and that it was made just hours from where i lived. (TX)

#42 Link927

Link927

Work In Progress

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

I would have to say save points. Back in the day, the only "saves" you got were passcodes to get back into a certain part of the game or level (Anyone else remember writting down various scribbles of passwords in a notebook?) Many people take the "Start -> Save Game -> Save Slot 1" thing for granted these days.

Nothing to see here, move along!

#43 dddddddd

dddddddd

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

Quick time events using button combinations, I loved them in GOW. The only problem was that everyone tried to copy GOW and could never get the Quick time events right i.e. replaying an entire sequence over again or in the extreme simply having a Game Over screen.

#44 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:52 AM

Halo pioneered the concept of regenerating health/shields. Before Halo, the traditional model was health restoring items or refill stations.

Now nearly all shooters use this model.

#45 daminion

daminion

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Save & Reload systems that make it easy to jump back to where you died quickly.

I've been playing Eternal Darkness and this is the most noticeable sign that this game is a product of the last generation. When you die you are taken back to the opening Title screens, and you have to wait for the Nintendo Logo to pass and all of the other credits to load until you can reload the game.

It's frustrating enough having just had your game end, but there's been times where I've just turned it off instead of reloading my last save because I didn't want to wait to get back to the load screen.

#46 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

I'm gonna go with four controller ports. N64 is the first I remember having it standard on the console. All consoles since have had four controller compatibility. This is the start of multiplayer coop imo. Great fun.

Some of the early Atari consoles had 4 controller capability -- the 5200 did, the 2800/Video Arcade II did, but the 2600 did not and IIRC the 7800 did not.
[cp][/cp]

#47 Super_Cholo

Super_Cholo

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:44 AM

Definitely Wolfenstein 3d! I played this game on my parents old Mac Classic (Parents worked at Apple) It started the video game shooter craze. There was really nothing like it before hand. Look at it, First there was Wolfenstein, now we have pretty much every Call of Duty and Medal of Honor game out there. This was the beginning.
Check me out at Richs iPhone Repair Remember kids... We Don't Die, We Multiply.

Posted Image

#48 AleetPanda

AleetPanda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:36 AM

Parallax, even after all these years I still appreciate it in 2D games.

#49 USB Cable

USB Cable

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:12 AM

Great show guys! I feel like my powers are unleashing or something.......

I tired lol.
Spoiler

#50 GAMERMASTERMAN

GAMERMASTERMAN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

My entry is the Joystick.
I remember watching a promo VHS about N64 that I got in the mail, and they were making a big deal about how Mario could run around in circles, and could move at different speeds everything from tip toeing to running. :)
Posted Image
Shipwreck-"They mess with my McDonalds little person set, they're gunna get a little person in the head."

#51 Syaieya

Syaieya

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:42 AM

Something innovative and taken for granted, that to the best of my knowledge debuted on the SNES, is the traditional diamond shaped button scheme on the right side of the controller.

The Snes and the ds have the abxy buttons in that layout which is the same as the ps1-ps3 and their triangle, square, circle, and x button. The 360 and Dreamcast have it too.

The genesis, Xbox original, and n64 had basically the same layouts with 2 extra face buttons

The Gamecube got flak for having the jelly bean buttons all through it's lifetime and the Wii's button layout just isn't right for quite a few traditional games.

I honestly think that button design is taken for granted.

#52 NazgulAuk

NazgulAuk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

I'll say Thief, which basically invented the first person sneaker.
That game along with system shock 2 convinced me that fp did't have to mean a mindless shooter.
Posted Image

#53 juvo

juvo

Less affluent audience

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

A huge benefit as a family game, Lego Star Wars brought us ... (almost) zero consequence for dying. No game over screen, no counting of lives, no regressing back to a load screen ... just keep on playing.

#54 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

Molly, Rockin the Doggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

Just being able to save. Dont know how many times I left the NES on while I was at school or other places so I didnt have to start my game back over from the beginning.
If its free, its for me!!

#55 Johnny2900

Johnny2900

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

I would have to say there would have to be an epic boss battle at the end of each game. A perfect example is how people complain that there isn't a final boss in the end of Fable II. To me, if that's the big complaint in a good game then it's obvious every game needs a final boss.

#56 JHawkZero

JHawkZero

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

My vote's for Duck Hunt. The idea of shooting a gun at your television and actually having to aim to hit targets was awesome, though we all know it eventually devolved into players scraping the muzzle of the zapper against the screen of their televisions in pursuit of the high scores.

Here's a short Duckhunt story to cap the post.

When my Dad brought home our NES (the week it came out no less!) he, for reasons incomprehensible to me, opted to trade in the Duck Hunt cartridge for Donkey Kong Jr. While I can't really harbor any animosity towards my father (he did by me an NES within days of it's release) I didn't realize what injustice had been done untill a visit to a friends home a few days later. Walking into his living room and seeing him wielding a gun...A FREAKING GUN!...and blasting virtual ducks (and the occasional skeet) from the sky blew my mindhole. Suffice to say a daily regimen of begging eventually chipped away at my parents seemingly iron wills and I did receive it as a gift a number of months later. Correction: the reality of that purchase probably had more to do with my fathers eventual personal discovery of Duckhunt than the spoiled cries of a six year old brat.

The lightgun game has become a staple of the endangered video arcade while living on in console form with current day on-rail shooters like House of the Dead Overkill and the upcoming Dead Space: Extraction. It's only fitting that the company that pioneered the home light gun game is still the best home for it's evolved descendants.

Thanks guys. Avalon Code has had my interest peeked since I read a preview for it months ago. Unfortunately with the current economy it has yet to make it's way into my collection. So, if I do happen to win you can bet it will be much appreciated and given a good home.

WOOPS: Props to strife18 for coming up with the lightgun before me. I hadn't read all the pages before posting.

#57 DQT

DQT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:11 AM

I pick memory cards/ transferable saves. I like the idea of using my save for any copy of a game I play.

If you guys ever run out of ideas for a contest, I suggest you two ask the cags to list places that have fewer games than shipwreck's basement. It could my local gamestop, 1up offices in San Francisco, ign, E3, etc....

#58 rick1000

rick1000

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

the rocket luncher in games made so noobs could play

#59 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:40 AM

Mods. Doom wads, Quakeworld, Quake 2, and some Half-Life. Those 4 games gave me thousands of hours of playtime from the content coming out of people's basements. Action Quake 2, Team Fortress, CS, Star Wars CTF for Quakeworkd, regular CTF, anything with grappling hooks in QW (remember those, oh man), Freeze Tag, etc. The fact that I could go online, download a free mod in 2 minutes (or 2 hours depending on my dial-up), and play it for months or even years is incredible. Some of them, like TF, were well supported and I don't have to tell you the rest of the history there.

And I don't know what you're talking about Rick1000, the Rocket Launcher is one of the greatest things ever in games. Of course it's not the same as it once was. Back in the days of quake it as a tool for reaching new heights even more than it was a weapon. I can still fondly remember map locations from Quake 1 only reachable by a skilled rocket jumper.

Now I'm feeling all nostalgic.

#60 FrEaKsHoW

FrEaKsHoW

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

I'd have to say the AI in F.E.A.R was very innovative at the time because enemies would topple bookshelves, or work together like a squad in a multilayer match.
Posted Image