Game collectors!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

Getting Panzer Dragoon Saga on craigslist is super sweet! What kind of condition is it in?

#32 Frosty The Batman

Frosty The Batman

Luv that dirty water

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

It was incredibly mint.
It was like the dude never played any of the games.
Not one tiny scratch.

6041.png

#33 Guest_eastshore4_*

Guest_eastshore4_*

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:02 PM

Kameo Xbox playable build (that's REGULAR Xbox, not 360)

that sounds like an interesting addition to the ol' collection.. how did you come across that?

As for me.. I'm a very flip-floppy collector. I'll start reminiscing on games I used to play or hear about a cult classic and such on CAG here and get into a collecting frenzy. Problem is two weeks later I realize that I can hardly keep up with my CURRENT crop of games as it is, much less a whole rack of older games... not to mention I have no friends who are interested in gaming thus I have no one to show my collection off to so I just end up selling it all. I'd like to think my collecting impulses have ceased lately, but I did end up with the entire SMT PS2 library a couple weeks ago which I'll probably never play so hopefully once I get rid of this I can keep it under control for good.

As far as noteworthy additions to my "collection", the only real great score I've had is my oft-bragged about Neo Geo AES score where I got $1500 worth of stuff for $300.

#34 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

The other day, I stopped into my favorite used-game emporium, and found a copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out. That's right, not just "Punch-Out." Punch Out with Iron Mike still in. $10.00, I was very pleased.

Other recent additions to my collection...

Strider (NES)
IronSword (NES)

#35 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:17 AM

that sounds like an interesting addition to the ol' collection.. how did you come across that?

I was a game journalist. Got it from Microsoft when I went to their PR offices a good 4 years ago or so.
I kept a lot of preview/review discs over my career, but that's definitely the diamond in the rough.
Posted Image
My action/scifi novel, Still Man Fights, is available in paperback and e-book form at Amazon.com.

#36 OnyxPrimal

OnyxPrimal

Chocolate Goodness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:07 AM

I was a game journalist. Got it from Microsoft when I went to their PR offices a good 4 years ago or so.
I kept a lot of preview/review discs over my career, but that's definitely the diamond in the rough.

You wrote for Game Informer back in the day, right? Always did like your reviews.

#37 pyoobez

pyoobez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

I definitely think Genesis is the easiest to find, at least where I live. Oddly enough, I grew up like 50 miles from here and finding Genesis games was fairly rare (then again, finding most games were as well, outside of a few crappy Nintendo and Atari titles, but that was the area in general. People wanted $2000 for a car that blue booked for $500)

I got a Genesis around 3 years ago. In that time I've amassed 60 or so Genesis titles, none for more than $5 and most for $1 or less. I'll admit, some of the titles are crappy (then again I passed on a bunch of those as well), but I got some good finds like Streets of Rage 3, Sonic through Sonic & Knuckles, and recently hit a yardsale goldmine with Phantasy Star II through IV as well as some others.
Posted Image

#38 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

You wrote for Game Informer back in the day, right? Always did like your reviews.

Aye, that I did. Thanks.

I got a Genesis around 3 years ago. In that time I've amassed 60 or so Genesis titles, none for more than $5 and most for $1 or less. I'll admit, some of the titles are crappy (then again I passed on a bunch of those as well), but I got some good finds like Streets of Rage 3, Sonic through Sonic & Knuckles, and recently hit a yardsale goldmine with Phantasy Star II through IV as well as some others.

I got 40+ Genesis games for around $30 a few months ago -- including all those you mentioned. It's called Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360. ;)
Posted Image
My action/scifi novel, Still Man Fights, is available in paperback and e-book form at Amazon.com.

#39 dan13l858

dan13l858

R.I.P. Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

Aye, that I did. Thanks.

I got 40+ Genesis games for around $30 a few months ago -- including all those you mentioned. It's called Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360. ;)

Burn!!!

#40 Frosty The Batman

Frosty The Batman

Luv that dirty water

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:30 AM

I thought I was gonna score Lunar 1 and 2 complete today on craigslist.
The kid has a lot of games on there for sale but those to stuck out.
I offered $50 for both but he said he can get $50 - $100 each on ebay.
My hunt for them two gems continue.

6041.png

#41 ninjaspeedrazor

ninjaspeedrazor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

That would have been a nice score, I got my Lunar 1 form a used game store for $8, definitely one of my better deals.

#42 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

When I was working at a Funcoland, some dude came in with a Sega CD after we stopped taking them. I forget what happened, but I offered him a pittance for his games on the down-low. I got mint copies of Lunar 1, 2, Popful Mail, and Vay.
Unfortunately, a year or two later I had to sell them due to financial troubles. The Lunars I got on PSone later, Vay wasn't that great, and I still poke around eBay for a good deal on Popful Mail.
Posted Image

#43 dan13l858

dan13l858

R.I.P. Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:00 AM

Yeah, I think he caught on to the lowball offer. I assume if he can use craigslist, he would probably use eBay for his pricing.

#44 dan13l858

dan13l858

R.I.P. Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:07 AM

When I was working at a Funcoland, some dude came in with a Sega CD after we stopped taking them. I forget what happened, but I offered him a pittance for his games on the down-low. I got mint copies of Lunar 1, 2, Popful Mail, and Vay.
Unfortunately, a year or two later I had to sell them due to financial troubles. The Lunars I got on PSone later, Vay wasn't that great, and I still poke around eBay for a good deal on Popful Mail.

:hot:
Wow, it sucks you had to get rid of them. I could never imagine giving up my rare rpg games. You can always get a hundred dollars but rare games don't come up to often unless you visit auction sites.

#45 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

:hot:
Wow, it sucks you had to get rid of them. I could never imagine giving up my rare rpg games. You can always get a hundred dollars but rare games don't come up to often unless you visit auction sites.

The really rare games are always good for cash when you really need them though. It sucks but it's better than being evicted or getting your lights shut off.

#46 Frosty The Batman

Frosty The Batman

Luv that dirty water

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

Found a pawn shop today that has lots of NES and SNES games.
Way to over priced though. $29.95 for Mario Golf on 64! Most NES games were $9.95. Some were at $19.95, same as most SNES.
I hate that store, not that they had anything good.

6041.png

#47 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Way to over priced though. $29.95 for Mario Golf on 64! Most NES games were $9.95. Some were at $19.95, same as most SNES.

Crap man, that is overpriced. Especially considering the demand for N64 games isn't nearly as high as most NES and SNES titles. I can understand why some dealers might get confused, N64 games' original retail prices were always inflated. And the supply for them is generally lower. (since the N64 wasn't as successful as its predecessors) But that is still just a tad out of proportion.

The place I usually buy at will occasionally have higher prices for NES or SNES titles. But it is always because they are rare or highly demanded titles. They were charging close to $40 for a used copy of Dragon Warrior 3. But then, Dragon Warrior 3 is a very hard to come by game for the NES, in a well-known and popular franchise. Charging upwards of $20 for your average NES, SNES, or Genesis titles is ridiculous.

#48 Frosty The Batman

Frosty The Batman

Luv that dirty water

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:29 AM

I sent an offer today to someone on craigslist for Breath of Fire 1+2 and some game called Earthbound for $50. I expect nothing but laughter in response if I even get one but you never know. Would be my best score ever.
I have such terrible luck with finding great deals.

6041.png

#49 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

Maybe it has something to do with your ridiculously lowball offers? I keed. I keed.

#50 Frosty The Batman

Frosty The Batman

Luv that dirty water

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

I know it's ridiculously low. He can counter a little bit higher if he wants. I'd rather him do that then ignore me. I always hope to find some old lady selling there kids old crap and taking whatever for it. That's never really the case on craigslist though. I need to get out to more flea markets. Florida is full of old people having yard sales.

6041.png

#51 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

You figure if someone's clever enough to know Craigslist, they're at least vaguely aware of eBay. Still, no harm in trying, Frosty.
Posted Image

#52 Frosty The Batman

Frosty The Batman

Luv that dirty water

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

You figure if someone's clever enough to know Craigslist, they're at least vaguely aware of eBay. Still, no harm in trying, Frosty.

I always tell them to go to ebay if they want ebay prices. I'm pretty cheap so I'll lowball on CL. I don't on CAG though. :)

6041.png