chronodev

CAGiversary!
System: Sega Saturn
Title: NiGHTS Into Dreams
Publisher: Sega
Circa: 1996
Overall Rating: 95%

Intro

“Fly fluid and free in real-time 3D” and “Fly plaything, fly”, now I have no idea how long ago I watched those commercials. NiGHTS Into Dreams was a game I, at first didn’t think much about (or the Saturn for that matter). Then, life brought someone into my life who really liked that game and wanted to play it. Being who I am, plus we were dating, I tracked down and brought her a Saturn, Nights and later Christmas Nights. Later though, I got my own and grabbed Nights for myself. It was a game that swept me away. While much later on, it was a game to remember. It was also the time when the present design of controllers first appeared, just as a point of interest.

Story

When you sleep, sometimes dreams seem more real: lucid dreams. What if there were worlds just for dreams: Nightopia and Nightmare. In these works aspects of peoples’ personalities manifest as commonly as 4 “Ideya”: Yellow Hope, Green Wisdom, Blue Intelligence, and White Purity. A rare 5th type exist: Red Courage, but it is the most tied to the person as nothing can separate it from the dreamer. Wizeman the Wicked, ruler of Nightmare begins to collect “Ideya” to expand his control over to the realm of Nightopia and eventually into the waking world. He creates NiGHTS and Reala to aid him in his collection. NiGHTS rebels against his creator and is sealed away in an Ideya Cage…
Elliot loves basketball and is the best of all his friends in Twin Seeds. One day, playing a game with his friends some older kids come and simply beat down on Elliot, skill wise, on the court. That night Elliot has a nightmare about the days events and runs accidently into the world of Nightopia…
Claire is a talented young singer. She goes to audition for the coming celebration in Twin Seeds but winds up petrified on stage and can’t perform. She has a nightmare about the day’s events, and like Elliot manages to find her way into Nightopia.
Both these children possess the rare Courage Ideya. Each manages to find NiGHTS, who tells them about Wizeman’s plans. Each, individual, agrees to help NiGHTS in his struggle to set things to right, returning the stolen Ideya to the people of the world and to restore peace in the world.

Gameplay

Nights is about two things: Flying and speed. Each of the levels, Nights, have 4 courses, Mares, which the player needs change into NiGHTS, and within the time limit collect 20 Blue Chips, break the Ideya Cage, collecting the Ideya, and press on. At the end of each Night is a boss which you’ll need to progress. If the timer runs out, the child separates from NiGHTS, who is imprisoned again. Also, the Alarm Clock takes to pursuing you to wake you up. In order to move onto the next dream you will need to get a grade of “C” or better. Both Claire and Elliot have their own stages, but the final stage is shared by both of them.
While flying as NiGHTS, not only do you gain the ability to dash, which you can use to slam into enemies and destroy some obstacles, but you also get the powerful paraloop. As NiGHTS flies, he leaves behind a short stream of stars. By looping back over this stream you perform a paraloop. This maneuver has 2 functions:
1) It allows you to quickly and safely dispatch some enemies by catching them in one
2) It allows you to quickly collect larger amounts of chips and stars, sometimes revealing hidden items.
After collecting the 20 chips and collecting the Ideya, you move into bonus time which...

Read full review here:
NIGHTS into Dreams Review (Sega Saturn)

I remember being a young lad ( 25 now ) when this game first came out on the Saturn, I wanted to play the game so much because it looked different than the Sega G or NES. Didn't upgrade my gaming system until the Chrono Cross came out.

didn't they release nights on the Wii also? not sure?

I never owned a Sega Saturn. I wish Sega and other companies would port their old Saturn games to current generation systems or the PS2.

I used to have a Saturn. Sold it off along with about 15 games for $100. I was always a Sega dude.. Genesis, Game Gear, Saturn.. but after Saturn, no more! I'm a Sony man now. Anyway. Nights was a pretty intense game. I never understood how to play it though (probably got past the first 3 levels only).. but this was when I was in 2nd grade. Haha. Anyway. Good review!

I played the similar Sega Saturn games before, but this one seems so fantastic, is it really can play like that?:applause:It is great, and just what i have been looking for, so how can i know the detailed information?

Sega satrun games are really great
i am very fond of them
their creativity is the most i like about their games

To Love Ru

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back