World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

#391 Bretts31344

Bretts31344

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:19 AM

I would like a scroll of resurrection please. Just PM me.

#392 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

. . .To Diablo III and lack of content patches since March 31st of this year. They'd down to 9.1 million subs now after losing 10% of the population and are down a total of 2 million since last year. The losses are mostly in the East rather than stateside, despite Diablo III being absent in China still. Seems the MMO is finally on the slippery slope of decline after a seven year reign.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#393 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yeah pretty scarey stuff for Blizzard. Maybe someone will actually listen to the complaints for once? I mean, 2 million in a year is rather big.

#394 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

2 million sounds like a lot, but not when you still have 9 million subscribers, especially when other MMOs on the market can't even get 1 million subs.. They should be worried when it dips to 2 million.

#395 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

. . .To Diablo III and lack of content patches since March 31st of this year. They'd down to 9.1 million subs now after losing 10% of the population and are down a total of 2 million since last year. The losses are mostly in the East rather than stateside, despite Diablo III being absent in China still. Seems the MMO is finally on the slippery slope of decline after a seven year reign.

This is probably a glimpse of things to come with Guild wars 2 coming later this month,then Tor becoming free (kinda free,anyway)

#396 Lokki

Lokki

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Have scrolls of resurrection and recruit-a-friends available, just PM me.
Posted Image

#397 AsphaltRanger

AsphaltRanger

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

same thing If someone needs a scroll of res let me know
Posted Image

#398 sevenfold

sevenfold

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Mists of Pandaria cinematic is up:

#399 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Cinematic is garbage. Really cool ship battle then goofy ass fight scene. All their cinematics have been top notch epic, this one is a trailer for Kungfu Panda 4. I don't mind pandas being the focal point of this expansion but I expected something a lot cooler for a cinematic. I wish it were like Burning Crusade, show the new race for a bit then maybe show some of the newer race/class combinations (tell me you wouldn't love to see a Dwarf Shaman fighting a Troll Druid in cat form) and a villain.

#400 sevenfold

sevenfold

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Cinematic is garbage. Really cool ship battle then goofy ass fight scene. All their cinematics have been top notch epic, this one is a trailer for Kungfu Panda 4. I don't mind pandas being the focal point of this expansion but I expected something a lot cooler for a cinematic. I wish it were like Burning Crusade, show the new race for a bit then maybe show some of the newer race/class combinations (tell me you wouldn't love to see a Dwarf Shaman fighting a Troll Druid in cat form) and a villain.

I loved it. I'd be very disappointed if all they did was look back and say "The TBC cinematic was pretty good, let's just photoshop some Pandaren and stuff in there and call it a day."

I didn't think it came across as goofy, either. It wasn't all dark and emo but it wouldn't have been as effective at communicating the feel and theme of the expansion if it were super serious and gloomy. This isn't that kind of expansion. Also, there have been more kung fu movies than Kung Fu Panda. The fight scene reminded me more of something from one of the Ip Man movies or Crouching Tiger or old Jet Li stuff.. serious, but with just enough traces of humor thrown in to convey the protagonist's superiority in the fight.

#401 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

I loved it. I'd be very disappointed if all they did was look back and say "The TBC cinematic was pretty good, let's just photoshop some Pandaren and stuff in there and call it a day."

I didn't think it came across as goofy, either. It wasn't all dark and emo but it wouldn't have been as effective at communicating the feel and theme of the expansion if it were super serious and gloomy. This isn't that kind of expansion. Also, there have been more kung fu movies than Kung Fu Panda. The fight scene reminded me more of something from one of the Ip Man movies or Crouching Tiger or old Jet Li stuff.. serious, but with just enough traces of humor thrown in to convey the protagonist's superiority in the fight.

What I suggested is hardly "photoshopping in Pandaren" but rather taking the theme of a classic cinematic and improving on it with entirely new scenes. Instead we get battle at sea that had the makings of being extremely cool, then "Herp derp let's fight together and get owned by a panda." WoW cinematics were always epic, this is nowhere even close. The fucking expansion reveal was more epic.

And to say this cinematic reminded you of Jet Li rather than Kung Fu Panda is just silly to me. It's a panda doing kung fu, pretty much sounds like Kung Fu Panda to me.

#402 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

What's weird is every expansion trailer so far had a clear villain yet this was just Kung Fu Panda. At least it was a little humorous to compensate.

I really think WoW is starting to run out of steam with almost every other MMO being F2P.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#403 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

I already hate Garrosh enough, I'm glad he wasn't plastered all over the cinematic like Arthas and Deathwing were, but a small scene would have been nice. I can't wait to kill him.

#404 sevenfold

sevenfold

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

What I suggested is hardly "photoshopping in Pandaren" but rather taking the theme of a classic cinematic and improving on it with entirely new scenes. Instead we get battle at sea that had the makings of being extremely cool, then "Herp derp let's fight together and get owned by a panda." WoW cinematics were always epic, this is nowhere even close. The fucking expansion reveal was more epic.

You suggested they basically recreate the cinematic from TBC but with the new race/class combos (which was itself very similar to the vanilla cinematic but with a few seconds of Illidan at the end). I guess we can argue semantics if you want.

And like I said, I thought the cinematic was very effective at conveying the theme of the expansion. Trying to force a bunch of "epic" moments in there just for the sake of being epic may have entertained those only satisfied by mindless instant gratification but I don't think it would have made a better cinematic for this expansion.

And to say this cinematic reminded you of Jet Li rather than Kung Fu Panda is just silly to me. It's a panda doing kung fu, pretty much sounds like Kung Fu Panda to me.

Well, yeah. It was a panda doing martial arts. Beyond that it didn't seem to have a lot in common with Kung Fu Panda. Pandaren existed in the WoW universe long before Kung Fu Panda was even a thing.

Do you also think Eminem and Vanilla Ice have a lot in common because they're both white and have had successful hip hop careers? Or maybe you think Brad Pitt and Robert Pattinson have a lot in common because they're both actors who have been in movies about vampires. Doesn't sound right to me but to each his own I guess.

What's weird is every expansion trailer so far had a clear villain yet this was just Kung Fu Panda. At least it was a little humorous to compensate.

This cinematic didn't include a clear villain because unlike all previous expansions this one doesn't focus on a single Saturday morning cartoon type villain. The focus is on the Horde vs. Alliance conflict and how the introduction of the Pandaren affects it. That was pretty clearly on display.

#405 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

Haha, yes, because Pandas that do Kung Fu is just as common as white rappers. So if WoW implemented turtles that did ninja you wouldn't think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or if they had a hedgehog that ran fast you wouldn't think of Sonic? Nah, that would be silly.

I also find it funny how you basically said Blizzard's villains are Saturday morning cartoons. Yeah, Illidan and Arthas were SO lame.

#406 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:09 AM

Warcraft 3: the Frozen Throne had a martial arts-using Panda in the Orc campaign. Pandas in Warcraft predate Kung Fu Panda by ~ 5 years. And they're all predated by Panda Khan (go on, google it).

And Arthas was pretty much a saturday morning cartoon villain. How many times did we disrupt his plans, in front of him, only for him to walk away with a "I'll let you live...for now"?

#407 sevenfold

sevenfold

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

Haha, yes, because Pandas that do Kung Fu is just as common as white rappers. So if WoW implemented turtles that did ninja you wouldn't think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or if they had a hedgehog that ran fast you wouldn't think of Sonic? Nah, that would be silly.

TMNT and Sonic existed before WoW. If they were to implement characters with such specifically similar traits I'd agree that there was an issue. As has already been stated more than once in this thread, though, Pandaren monks predate Kung Fu Panda. If you want to be mad about it you should be mad at DreamWorks for ripping off the Warcraft universe, not the other way around.

I also find it funny how you basically said Blizzard's villains are Saturday morning cartoons. Yeah, Illidan and Arthas were SO lame.

Yeah, they basically are. I didn't say they were lame or that I didn't enjoy them. Skeletor, Mumm-Ra, Shredder, Tex Hex, Cobra Commander, and Megatron isn't exactly bad company to be in in my book.

They are pretty one dimensional as presented in game though. I love Illidan's history but in the game players are barely given any reason at all to fight him. We're just told that deep down he's evil and dangerous and stuff. Arthas was also a more complex character in the lore prior to WotLK but in game as The Lich King he's a pretty cliche and generic villain who does bad stuff and has his henchmen do his dirty work for awhile and eventually it's up to the good guys to stop him. Deathwing is an evil dragon who wants to destroy the world, I don't think I really need to say more.

#408 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

I approve of this 80's cartoon talk. Proceed. . .

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#409 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Since Kung Fu Panda has been in the spotlight for quite a while now, even though WoW did it before them, it should still remind you of that.

I see what you're saying about the villains, it's a shame Blizzard doesn't put as much effort into lore anymore. They can make some awesome looking villains with cool backstories, but when it comes to coming up with a reason for the players to defeat them it's all just "He's bad, go kill him." Like I said before though, I'm REALLY looking forward to killing Garrosh. There's a villain you have a reason and a need to kill. Fucker doesn't get away with killing Cairne.

#410 sevenfold

sevenfold

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

I agree on Garrosh. I hate Varian too but I'm strictly a Horde player so I don't care as much about him.

#411 Lokki

Lokki

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

With Mists of Pandaria coming out in less than 2 weeks, just tossing out the offer for a Scroll of Resurrection or Recruit-a-Friend if anyone is interested.
Posted Image

#412 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Anyone else curious what special power Garrosh is going to find that will make him a true raid boss?
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#413 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Popular belief is he'll be overtaken by one of the Sha. Not that it's really needed. Garrosh from the books is enough of a monster. Each book he seems to acquire a new WMD. So far, he's used Magnataur and Protodrakes, Mana Bombs, and even friggin' Kraken.

#414 mattrobertsjr

mattrobertsjr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

just started to play again after a year break.

anyone selling time cards ^^?

#415 hustletron

hustletron

the struggle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Warcraft 3: the Frozen Throne had a martial arts-using Panda in the Orc campaign. Pandas in Warcraft predate Kung Fu Panda by ~ 5 years. And they're all predated by Panda Khan (go on, google it).

And Arthas was pretty much a saturday morning cartoon villain. How many times did we disrupt his plans, in front of him, only for him to walk away with a "I'll let you live...for now"?

This is the stupidest argument. IT WAS ONE PANDA!!!! To make a whole expansion based on that premise is just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

fs_overall.png

#416 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

So I pre-purchased Mists of Pandaria and redeemed a time card so I could play for the first time in months... My spells and stuff have changed. :-s
Posted Image

#417 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

So I pre-purchased Mists of Pandaria and redeemed a time card so I could play for the first time in months... My spells and stuff have changed. :-s

They totally redid talents, no more trees. And if you're a shaman, they totally redid their totems.

#418 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yep. Nothing about it is the same as it once was. I played a Disc priest in Lich King and then played my mage a bit when Cata came out. Renewed a couple weeks ago with a friend and we're going to try out Pandaria, but seeing that disc priests can heal by attacking enemies with Penance/Smite/Holy Fire was a big wtf. I probably looked like a retard the first couple of dungeon groups since I leveled as shadow until 85 on my priest not realizing that.

#419 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

Yep. Nothing about it is the same as it once was. I played a Disc priest in Lich King and then played my mage a bit when Cata came out. Renewed a couple weeks ago with a friend and we're going to try out Pandaria, but seeing that disc priests can heal by attacking enemies with Penance/Smite/Holy Fire was a big wtf. I probably looked like a retard the first couple of dungeon groups since I leveled as shadow until 85 on my priest not realizing that.

It's really confusing... I'm a level 85 Retribution Paladin and I'm still not sure what I'm doing.

I got my butt handed to me in PVP last night. I guess I'll try the dungeons tonight and see if I can eventually stop sucking. If nothing else, I'll get to make my Kung-Fu Panda in a week or so.
Posted Image

#420 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

I'm just thrilled my rogue will have baseline shadowstep. My dreams of Mut/shadowstep in PvP will finally be realized.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg