World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#91 TwelveVolt

TwelveVolt

Nobody from Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

Extremely cool looking mount, but like hell if I'm paying 25$ for it.

I guess they figure they can charge $10 for a virtual pet that does nothing, this actually does something, so they can charge 2.5 times that.

I mean, hell, for $25 you can get a whole new game....

#92 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

I guess they figure they can charge $10 for a virtual pet that does nothing, this actually does something, so they can charge 2.5 times that.

I mean, hell, for $25 you can get a whole new game....

At least it is BoA so you never need to buy a mount for your alts again as it goes by your riding skill level, so it isn't totally a bad deal.

#93 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

Yea, it's *every* character on your account, and it scales with riding skill, and if you earn a 310% mount, that goes 310%. It's pretty nice, never have to buy mounts again. =P

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#94 Magus8472

Magus8472

The Sudden Stop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

Bam. Chicken!

Having the Bloodsail Admiral title is already incontrovertible proof that you've played far too much WoW.
Posted Image

#95 Spacepest

Spacepest

Your Tax Dollars At Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:19 PM

Looks like these new flying mounts are going to be popular.

Just took this on my server around noon. Imagine the sparkly chaos that is going to erupt when school and work get out.
Posted Image
"Videogames...why waste good technology (and $$$ ) on science and medicine?"

#96 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

Having the Bloodsail Admiral title is already incontrovertible proof that you've played far too much WoW.

22 platinum trophies? Shut your whore mouth you wench.

#97 Magus8472

Magus8472

The Sudden Stop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:51 PM

22 platinum trophies? Shut your whore mouth you wench.

I'll take them over your stupid hat. :D
Posted Image

#98 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

I'll take them over your stupid hat. :D

My stupid hat at least gets me a virtual pet. Your trophies don't even do that.

#99 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:40 AM

Looks like these new flying mounts are going to be popular.

Just took this on my server around noon. Imagine the sparkly chaos that is going to erupt when school and work get out.
Posted Image

Look! It's $125!

#100 LordKefka06

LordKefka06

Follow The Reaper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:48 AM

#101 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

Seems at least 80,000 droolers summoned mommy to buy them a virtual horse in the first four hours that thing was available. Just goes to show that Blizzard would be smart to transition to a micro-payment model over sub, now that their playerbase has stagnated at ~12 mil.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#102 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Seems at least 80,000 droolers summoned mommy to buy them a virtual horse in the first four hours that thing was available. Just goes to show that Blizzard would be smart to transition to a micro-payment model over sub, now that their playerbase has stagnated at ~12 mil.

They obviously are doing something very right with their current model, I doubt they'd shake it up much. I'm sure if they make it so that if you pay money you get in combat benefits, tons of people will stop playing who don't want to pay for Tier XX armor.

#103 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:33 PM

They obviously are doing something very right with their current model, I doubt they'd shake it up much. I'm sure if they make it so that if you pay money you get in combat benefits, tons of people will stop playing who don't want to pay for Tier XX armor.

I doubt they'd be dumb enough to add anything that changes gameplay over stupid shit like mounts.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#104 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Yea, it's *every* character on your account, and it scales with riding skill, and if you earn a 310% mount, that goes 310%. It's pretty nice, never have to buy mounts again. =P

This is the only upside I really see: it saves 161g per character (assuming one would buy a mount at every riding level). Thus, it's technically better than a vanity pet.

#105 kilm

kilm

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

I doubt they'd be dumb enough to add anything that changes gameplay over stupid shit like mounts.

Only thing dumb would be people who think it would be a smart idea for Blizzard to switch from subscription to micro-transactions. Now that's some stupid shit!

#106 Spacepest

Spacepest

Your Tax Dollars At Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

Wow, alot of hate for a sparkly pony that doesn't affect others gameplay in any way. The QQing on my server's trade chat was epic ("We wanted to grind Alganon over and over again to get it! Now EVERYONE has a sparkly horse!")

I logged in last night and my ENTIRE guild was lined up with star horsies. And someone bought that new noncombat vanity pet with the annoying sound effects ("I DONT THINK IT BENDS THAT WAY"). Then I LOLed when I saw the server's hardcore raiders had bought the new ponies too (these people have all the cool mounts through gameplay and they went out and bought one too? ). It seems like alot of people paid for them on my server.

#107 TwelveVolt

TwelveVolt

Nobody from Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

I can't believe people are paying this. I thought the pets were overpriced at $10. $5 for a pet (or less) and $10 for a mount would make more sense, IMO.

#108 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

This is the only upside I really see: it saves 161g per character (assuming one would buy a mount at every riding level). Thus, it's technically better than a vanity pet.

OH, it's not about the gold to me, it's about the laziness factor. I don't want to bother finding a mount vendor, I just want to pay NPC 1 riding skill and move.

#109 TheCapn010

TheCapn010

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:38 PM

WoW is an evil thing, it's name should be banished from the human vernacular. [-(
Causing kids to stick remotes up their :booty:, TSK TSK.

#110 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:31 PM

WoW is an evil thing, it's name should be banished from the human vernacular. [-(
Causing kids to stick remotes up their :booty:, TSK TSK.

Only if they abolish Facebook, MySpace, the Nintendo Wii, every free to play Korean MMO, and all of that Twilight shit.

#111 Survivalism

Survivalism

CAG's Lance Boyle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:18 AM

One thing I always say about WoW is that I'm glad I don't like paying monthly fees. I hardly go outside as it is.

#112 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:01 AM

Only if they abolish Facebook, MySpace, the Nintendo Wii, every free to play Korean MMO, and all of that Twilight shit.

I approve of this.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#113 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:49 AM

Only thing dumb would be people who think it would be a smart idea for Blizzard to switch from subscription to micro-transactions. Now that's some stupid shit!

What would be truly dumb would be for Blizz to ignore 140K in immediate sales of a $25 starry mount.

Who says they have to abandon the subscription? Micro-transactions could supplement that. They're not going to sell off purples, but they certainly could sell off armor/weapons to accelerate the journey to level cap. Heirlooms are an obvious target. Big bags. Trinkets to provide more hearths, extra gem slots, whatever the hell else.

They can monetize all of this without harming the endgame and pissing off the hardcore raiders. It'll work out, because it'll just give the hardcore another badge of honor: getting to level cap/endgame without microtransactions.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#114 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:37 AM

What would be truly dumb would be for Blizz to ignore 140K in immediate sales of a $25 starry mount.

Who says they have to abandon the subscription? Micro-transactions could supplement that. They're not going to sell off purples, but they certainly could sell off armor/weapons to accelerate the journey to level cap. Heirlooms are an obvious target. Big bags. Trinkets to provide more hearths, extra gem slots, whatever the hell else.

They can monetize all of this without harming the endgame and pissing off the hardcore raiders. It'll work out, because it'll just give the hardcore another badge of honor: getting to level cap/endgame without microtransactions.

Extra gem slots would piss off raiders, and heirloom items have the possibility to as well. Bags would Fuck over tailors, so that's a no. The things they should focus on selling are the items they used in the TCG/items like that, aka pets, mounts, cosmetic items. Anything that actually affects gameplay should be left alone, but trinkets that shoot fireworks, chairs you can have out for a few minutes at a time, etc. all work well.

Oh, and I don't see why everyone worries about hardcore people/raiders/etc. as they are in the minority on the game, they just happen to have the largest mouth and bitch the most. None of them will leave, look how many times everyone threatens to quit to begin with.

#115 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:19 AM

The new expansion is doing a lot that will have more people rolling new characters...the entire "old world" is getting revamped, killing many of the annoying leveling quests...there's new race/class combinations...and new races altogether. Hell, you could argue that Cataclysm is doing more for the levellers than it is for the raiders. So, I don't see it happening where Blizz decides to make pay-for content that'll give levellers an edge.

Not to mention the vitriol it would draw from twinks.

Ever since in-game rewards for the TCG were announced, Blizz said the only in-game rewards would be fun, non-game affecting stuff. Such sentiments were repeated when Achievements with rewards were announced. They've done nothing to betray that as far as I'm concerned. No mount or pet or anything they've put out affects my gameplay negatively (unless I get jealous). If they do put out something that does, then they'll draw some ire, but that's a bridge I'll cross when they actually make it.

As for the horse in particular...if people want it, and are willing to pay for it, I don't really see the problem. You may argue it's too expensive, but if someone wants to pay $25 for a horse made of stars, why not let them? I'm not penalized for not buying it, the money's not coming from my pocket, and my game is left unchanged.

#116 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:52 AM

...if people want it, and are willing to pay for it, I don't really see the problem.

I agree completely, and I'd say the same if they offered up more mounts, gear, items for cash. What's the problem?

Everyone can walk all over arbitrary possibilities (e.g. fucks over tailors, extra gem slots might piss off hardcore, etc.) the same way others denied that server transfers and race/class/faction realignment was possible. If there's money in it and it doesn't create a huge imbalance, it's open for business.

The Cataclysm changes, to me, suggest that Blizz could possibly further open pre-level cap toons, casuals, and collectors to microtransactions. They're going in that direction, and I don't understand why this line is drawn, when similar lines have been breached in the past. I honestly don't think it would take anything away from the game to monetize certain kinds of gear the same way they've done the mounts. If somebody wants to pay for that, let them.

People are calling the mounts and pets for $$ a "slippery slope," but I think it's a naive perspective. Blizz/ATVI know what they're doing here. They've seen the response. I'm sure they realize that if they offer up gear that shaves time off the trivial, early going material in a manner similar to heirlooms, people will buy that up enough to warrant putting it out there. There's a lot of in-game conveniences for early toons that Blizz can provide through microtransactions.

Again, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but the response to that mount makes it much more likely in my mind. I wouldn't have predicted 140K people would want to pay $25 for a mount that saves them a couple hundred -- for even the most pronounced case of altitis a thousand or so -- gold across their toons. I'd call that response overwhelming. It clearly indicates a market for microtransactions, and again, just because Blizz might've drawn some line doesn't mean they'll abide it, hundreds of millions of easy cash be damned.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#117 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:57 AM

I agree completely, and I'd say the same if they offered up more mounts, gear, items for cash. What's the problem?

Everyone can walk all over arbitrary possibilities (e.g. fucks over tailors, extra gem slots might piss off hardcore, etc.) the same way others denied that server transfers and race/class/faction realignment was possible. If there's money in it and it doesn't create a huge imbalance, it's open for business.

The Cataclysm changes, to me, suggest that Blizz could possibly further open pre-level cap toons, casuals, and collectors to microtransactions. They're going in that direction, and I don't understand why this line is drawn, when similar lines have been breached in the past. I honestly don't think it would take anything away from the game to monetize certain kinds of gear the same way they've done the mounts. If somebody wants to pay for that, let them.

People are calling the mounts and pets for $$ a "slippery slope," but I think it's a naive perspective. Blizz/ATVI know what they're doing here. They've seen the response. I'm sure they realize that if they offer up gear that shaves time off the trivial, early going material in a manner similar to heirlooms, people will buy that up enough to warrant putting it out there. There's a lot of in-game conveniences for early toons that Blizz can provide through microtransactions.

Again, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but the response to that mount makes it much more likely in my mind. I wouldn't have predicted 140K people would want to pay $25 for a mount that saves them a couple hundred -- for even the most pronounced case of altitis a thousand or so -- gold across their toons. I'd call that response overwhelming. It clearly indicates a market for microtransactions, and again, just because Blizz might've drawn some line doesn't mean they'll abide it, hundreds of millions of easy cash be damned.

I will never have a problem with 'cash shops' as long as they don't offer a significantly improved experience or provide an edge on other players. Now I'm glad that Blizzard are one of the few developers I can trust not to go sour but Activision definitely seems to be a presence there now, despite them saying the buyout was only in name.

#118 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

Oh, and honestly, anything paid to help leveling is BAD. Leveling = time, time = monthly fees collected. The last thing they want is people doing content faster.

Oh, and people paid $1,000+ for spectral tigers, remember that. That my friends, is elitism in premium items. One in over a case of booster boxes isn't very fair by all means. $25 is nothing in comparison. Most people can come up with $25, if you are struggling over it, you probably shouldn't be playing WoW in the first place, let's be honest, the game takes a lot of time and it does cost money. Most of the complaints are from children who can't get their parents credit cards.

I will voice my one complaint though, I see it potentially (Note, potentially) cutting content out that they could have given players as rewards through things such as achievements, drops, reputations, events, etc. so that the pets and such can be sold instead. Now, if future patches/expansions start introducing fewer and fewer pets and mounts while more go on sale in the store, I'll begin to think Blizzard is up to something.

#119 Spacepest

Spacepest

Your Tax Dollars At Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:51 AM

Saturday night, my server-

Posted Image

#120 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Oh god, it's going to be the new iPhone.