EA Sports Active

chiwii

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Does anyone have EA Sports Active? Does anyone like it? It's getting good reviews on Amazon so far.

I'm really interested in knowing if the controls work well, and if the cord is always in the way. I'm trying to decide between this and Gold's Gym Cardio Workout.

Last edited by a moderator:
haven't played gold's gym, but i got this today and just completed my first workout...

i didn't really notice the cord getting in the way during the exercises, but there's a lot of accessory changing, unless you put together your own custom workout. between holding the nunchuk in your hand, attaching it to your leg, using the resistence strap, standing on the balance board... you get just as much workout moving between accessories as you do performing the exercises...

but overall... the game's really good. it all depends on what you're looking for. wii sports was a game that forced some exercise. wii fit was an exercise loosely disguised as a game. with ea sports active, there's no mistaking this for a game. it's not a game. it's a serious workout. like getting an interactive exercise tape.

that's great if it's what you're after. but if you want something for the kids to play while staying active... this isn't 'play' at all.

i played this once (got it for my lil sister) and i was hurting after the 20 min workout... controls were very responsive except for one exercise (bicep curls) but maybe that was just me or a one time thing... def worth the money

I might have to pick this up. I actually really like WiiFit - I know, crazy - but that may have to do with the fact that I am pretty horribly out of shape and have a hard time motivating myself to exercise. :) The more options the better, though, so I'll probably get EA Active at some point. I also keep meaning to pick up Gold's Gym, as I really like the shadow boxing in WiiFit, but haven't gotten it yet. Does EA Active have something like the shadow boxing? Also, does EA Active use (and effectively) the balance board?

i didn't have any trouble with bicep curls or any other exercises... everything's been smooth

there is a boxing workout... but it's only one of the MANY exercises you can do, so it's not centered around the boxing, which gold's gym appears to have much more of

and yes, ea sports active uses the balance board for SOME of the exercises, when it makes sense. it's not required, but it can be used... for example, the boxing exercise incorporates kicks if you have the balance board. it's nowhere near as 'balance board based' as wii fit, obviously... but it CAN be used.

Might want to try this. I like this kind of shit :lol:
I call it shit because, well, it IS shit..but it's shit that interests and amuses me.

Oh and Gold's Gym is actually a good time. I recommend that to ALL.

I picked EASA up on Tuesday (did the trade 3, get EASA for free deal @ GS) and have been keeping up with the 30 day program. Overall, I love it for exactly what it is - a "western" style, cardio and strength training-centric exercise program. Wii Fit is good for yoga and stretching, but EASA actually gets your heart pumping. My main gripe is that the exercise band is pretty weak, but that can be fixed by either shortening the length or by buying a set of bands (which I'll probably wind up doing). It's somewhat odd that EASA doesn't keep track of your weight via balance board weigh-ins, but I suppose the developers figured that if you have the balance board, you have Wii Fit and the weigh-in channel that it provides.

Now, I don't plan on getting rid of Gold's Gym - I truly do enjoy that, and the cardio boxing just isn't up to par in EASA, but that's understandable, since the game focuses on all over fitness instead of just cardio boxing.

I picked up EASA today at Best Buy (I used the $10 gift card to get the extra accessory pack). I tried some of the sports exercises, and they were fun. Then, I did one of the preset workouts - the very first one on the list. There were so many squats and lunges!

Overall, it was good, but I did have a major problem with the controller not registering my "kick-ups" on the track. I was working so hard, and my avatar was moving sooo slowly! Has anyone else experienced that? I readjusted the nunchuck a couple of times, but it didn't help. If anyone has any tips on fixing that, let me know.

I really liked the cardio boxing in the game, but it's so short. I'm definitely going to pick-up Gold's Gym at some point.

OK, I figured out why my kick-ups weren't registering. I had to jump up a little more, and it worked fine. I think the nunchuck needs to sense the up and down motion.

My husband and I are planning to start the 30 day challenge tomorrow. I'm actually pretty excited about it, so that's a good sign!

By the way - I noticed that Gold's Gym is in the Best Buy ad for $20 starting tomorrow, if anyone wants to pick it up.

Great review elwood731! I think that you described all the major differences in the games. I also agree with your opinion that both games provide their own benefits. After I finished my first workout with EASA yesterday, I played some of the Wii Fit balance games for about half an hour. I really like Wii Fit's focus on posture and balance. I think these products can work well together.

I just finished the 2nd day of my 30 day challenge. I know, not very far in, but so far I am having a lot of fun. I am still getting the hand of some exercises (positioning of the wiimote etc) (thanks for the tip on the kick-ups, I had them today and didn't have a lot of success so I just ran on my own).

Overall, I like the variety, (yes, lots of various lunges... my legs are hurting a bit as I usually hate doing lunges on my own but this is pretty motivating). Because they mix it up, it wasn't like ok, let's do 3 sets of lunges... you do something and before you are sick of it, you are moved into something else. (yes, the accessory changing is a bit annoying, but variety is good tho, there gotta be a good balance somewhere)

I definitely worked up a good sweat. I took more rest time as I watch the video, but still good for medium exercise. I can definitely see challenging myself on hard after I finish the first 30 days challenge and can transition more freely between exercises.

The resistance band is worthless. Fortunately, I got my own.
I also have wii fit and some exercise do use the balance board. (inline skating, the boxing/kicking thing) Not having gone through them all yet, I can't say, but for what I've gone through in the last 2 days, the experiences are definitely good and I would recommend others to give it a try.

I don't have gold's gym cardio yet and will probably pick it up too at some point later.

I hate EA Sports Active... which is to say it actually works well as a workout game.

It's only day 2 for me, but I'm sore and have worked up a sweat despite using WiiFit almost daily since its release last year.

I also agree that these games are complimentary. Even people who use and enjoy WiiFit have to admit that you get very little cardio workout even from the "Aerobics" section. Stretch/yoga with WiiFit and intense cardio with EA Sports Active and you can successfully avoid a gym while getting healthier. SOLD.

Picked this up tonight. Only looked through screens..didn't use it today, but will tomorrow.

When doing a 30 day program, is there any customization? When will it ask you if you have the balance board..?

EDIT: Also, can someone recommend a better/stronger resistance band? They don't seem very strong. :whistle2:k

I am thinking about picking up some Thera-Bands or similar at a local store. You may want to actually try them to see what resistance is best for you. You probably will go with atleast blue color ones.

I have the tube kind right now and they are good. For some exercise tho, it is harder to shorten them thus I will probably go pick up a ribbon band.

I didn't customize my workout, but I seem to remember a checklist of exercises for you to chose to be in the mix. I went default. I am pretty sure it is there that you can uncheck shoulder exercises etc if there is a shoulder injury concern. Otherwise, the 30 days just picked from it randomly? Beside cooldown running/walking, all my exercises had been different.

I also don't remember the specific of the board... It does ask you tho and it wasn't any issue. All went very smoothly so don't worry. When it lose contact with the board from idle, the process of getting back is also smooth. no issue there so far.

If I remember correctly, you will be asked if you want to use the balance board when you start the 30 day challenge. It's right before or right after you're asked to choose a level (low, medium, or hard intensity).

I just bought a new treadmill, but I came across this thread and thought it might be interesting to see what people are saying about EASA. After reading the positive comments on this board, I checked out Amazon and Gamestop and read a lot more positive reviews. Based on what I've read, I'm definitely going to pick this up tomorrow to supplement my treadmill runs.

This "game" is very good... I just need a stronger band. I've been looking for them, but have either found short ones or the resistance tubes, which would make holding the Wiimote and nunchuck somewhat difficult.

After my first 30 Day Challenge workout thing.. (on Medium) I def ordered another band. I ordered a medium DYNA-BAND. (Green). I'll post some impressions whenever I get it and use it.

I wasn't totally impressed with the game, but I wasn't turned off completely. Some of the exercises were OK, and some were frushtrating..it just seems that the remote just felt like you needed to manipulate it for it to work properly.

The kickboxing was fun! The incline skating, where I did feel a burn in my legs, was stupid. I was just supposed to squat and pick my leg up..right? :lol:

I'll give this game some more time before I judge it. I wonder if I am better off just creating my own workout, or using the premade workouts.
Hmm.

We'll see.
I want other opinions on what YOU all feel is right with this game.

Hmmm, I hope this is appropriate. Few of us talked about the resistance band etc.
I went with these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011TXRUE/
I think the 3 different strength will be good since some muscles are better developed. The price looks fair with free shipping from the market place seller.

I then went to their own website.
http://www.hpms.com/Hygenic_Thera_Band_Latex_Free_Exercise_Bands_p/hyg-lfpacks.htm

The same thing for $11.86 with free shipping.
There is also a light resistance pack.

Because I have some sort of alternative, I am willing to wait a few days instead of picking it up local, but this might be of interest to some.

I don't have previous experience with this brand of resistance bands but seem pretty legit. Will let you guys know after I receive it.

edit: well, they shipped it out this morning, so that was quick so I should get it b4 next week.
edit2: duh, it is shipping from New Hampshire, pretty much furthest away from Southern Cal... guess I really do have to wait, atleast it is already on its way.

I've done 3 workouts already, and I've gotten sore every time. It's hard to be consistent though. I do like how it makes you think about how many glasses of water, fast food, vegetables, sugary drinks, etc that you've consumed. I've been trying to drink more water lately.

This is a much better game compared to Wii Fit in my opinion.

^ agreed.

Just finished day 2 in my 30 Day Challenge. My opinion changed for the better. Tomorrow is a rest day--it won't let me play at all, right? Or just 30 day challenge? :whistle2:s

I just picked this up today, and I may or may not be able to try it out tonight. However, I'll give my impressions once I've given it a test spin...

Been reading about the resistance bands breaking after a few days of use which is temporarily keeping me from buying this since I love these exercise games (agree with lilboo about Gold's Gym - definitely can work up quite a sweat in 30+ minutes playing it). Interested to see how those heavy bands work for you, wasabi.

I ordered a medium pair of resistance bands from Amazon for $9.25
I'll let everyone know how they turn out.

As much as I enjoy this game..I really do think Gold's Gym really is a better workout. I know I've only had EA Active for a few days, and only have done 2 workouts..but still.. just sayin'...

Since Gold's Gym = Ubisoft, I'd imagine some milking done :cool:

Is this better than My Fitness Coach?
I still have that sealed, but may trade it in with the GS trade 3 get EAAS.

It is better than My Fitness Coach simply because it IS more interactive. That's what I enjoy aboyt these 'games'.

I did day 3 and I have to say.. 30 Day Challenge really sucks. I think I'm going to finish it up and do the rest as "Hard". I just do not feel like a good workout. Yeah, I do sweat. Yeah, some muscles do ache a bit the next day..but at the end of the 25ish minute workout ..it's only been ~130 calories?

Yesterday on my "rest day", I played Gold's Gym and did 2 shape boxing exercises and burned 268 calories and that took about 35 minutes.

I think the fact that this game might be waaaay too geared towards bored women in their 40s, and fat people looking for a way to do some exercise..and this is why it's "tough" to them.

I'm not going to dismiss this game yet. I will continue on tomorrow and do this as "hard" and see if anything changes. After, I'm going to just create my own and see if that helps me out at all with this.

I just don't think 130-150 calories is enough..but maybe I just have an eating disorder and expect to burn 800 calories in 15 minutes.. :rofl:

On a side note: My new resistance band came, I will try it out tomorrow. It seems WAAAY better. Hopefully that also helps!

I was able to save $20+ on this game by buying Tenchu, Baja and Pitfall (Buy 2 get 1 free sale) and trading them in for a new copy of EASA. It was a pain for me to return this new copy using my old receipt (originally purchased EASA at MSRP and opened it) because the seal was broken although all items were still sealed (game, strap, resistance band). One store wouldn't take my return, so I went to another and, fortunately, the manager accepted my return.

As far as the game goes, I got to try it out a bit yesterday. I did an easy sports workout, which mixes in some lunges and squats. I do have to admit that the squats and lunges are going to be great for building the strength up in my legs. None of the sports drills appear to be too rigorous although I enjoyed all of them. I particularly like the shooting drill since I like playing basketball, and I'm specifically trying to get in shape to be able to play ball.

So far so good. I'll be trying out some of the strength training exercises tomorrow...

Had this on preorder but I may have to check out he golds gym.

Reality is I dont play games like this for too long, so sometimes its just wasted money.

[quote name='lilboo']It is better than My Fitness Coach simply because it IS more interactive. That's what I enjoy aboyt these 'games'.

I did day 3 and I have to say.. 30 Day Challenge really sucks. I think I'm going to finish it up and do the rest as "Hard". I just do not feel like a good workout. Yeah, I do sweat. Yeah, some muscles do ache a bit the next day..but at the end of the 25ish minute workout ..it's only been ~130 calories?

Yesterday on my "rest day", I played Gold's Gym and did 2 shape boxing exercises and burned 268 calories and that took about 35 minutes.

I think the fact that this game might be waaaay too geared towards bored women in their 40s, and fat people looking for a way to do some exercise..and this is why it's "tough" to them.

I'm not going to dismiss this game yet. I will continue on tomorrow and do this as "hard" and see if anything changes. After, I'm going to just create my own and see if that helps me out at all with this.

I just don't think 130-150 calories is enough..but maybe I just have an eating disorder and expect to burn 800 calories in 15 minutes.. :rofl:

On a side note: My new resistance band came, I will try it out tomorrow. It seems WAAAY better. Hopefully that also helps![/QUOTE]

I would take the calorie counter in EA Sports Active with a grain of salt - I honestly believe it to be fairly conservative. When I've worn a heart rate monitor while working out, it claims I burn anywhere from 30-50% more calories than what EA Sports Active displays on the screen. Of course, I also take the calorie counter on the heart rate monitor with a grain of salt, so perhaps both are wrong :lol:

I've reached the halfway point of the 30 day challenge, and it's supposedly going to get more difficult, which is fine with me. I've already done most of the workouts on the "hard" setting (I've used the medium setting when I was in a bit of a time crunch), so hopefully I'm ready. The bf and I ordered the Dyna Bands from Amazon, and they definitely make a difference - I used the purple "heavy" one last night and my arms feel like jelly today. I'll be using the green one once it comes in - hopefully it's still a challenge while being slightly more forgiving than the purple one. I won't even touch the grey band.

I've been meaning to use my heart monitor/calorie counter. I'd like to compare it the next time I play. I'm off today :cool: but I will probably use Gold's Gym today. Maybe I'll also use the calorie counter with THAT as well... :whistle2:k

--

Some of the exercises, though, are a pain in the fuckin ass with this game. When you have to do the exercise and manipulate the remote/nunchuck in order for it to register is straight up annoying (and in some exercises, doesn't seem safe :lol:)

I tried the easy upper body strength workout last night, and I'm pretty happy with it. I got a solid workout for my arms, shoulders and upper back although I had to use my own resistance bands for some of the workouts because the ones that come packed in with the game simply don't provide enough resistance for the bicep curls, shoulder presses, etc.

I received the Heavy Set of resistance bands and they are pretty good. Today is my rest day so I haven't put them through an entire workout, but I've tried them with the same exercises, and they feel really good.

They are thick and about 6 inches longer than the included band. I don't think anyone is going to break them anytime soon, tho with all things elastic, there is only so much stretch in them. I think the problem with the included band is that it is so weak that many people shorten it to increase resistance and thus, reaching its breaking point and it snap.... that's why I went with a set because I can get a full range of resistance for various muscles without having to get every once of resistance a band has before it snap.

I also noticed a little rip in the included band already in just 11 sessions. less than 1 mm in the middle and I am pretty sure I haven't drag it over something sharp where it might have gotten snagged... tho I think the friction when I step on it with my shoes during exercises are enough to rip it apart because it is soooo thin. :)

I've done 11? sessions already in my 30 days challenge and I think it is immensely fun and motivating. Sure, there is no ab exercise and I am sure there are things that can be improved, but overall, it is definitely worth your money.

The resistance band is worthless... the included handle, tho not worthless, is the next thing I am going to upgrade. The handle is made of those cheap nylon strap that's hard and coarse and it really irritates me during exercise. I think with my new bands, I will just wrap it around my palm and see how that last through a whole session. I will probably buy this soon
http://www.amazon.com/Thera-Band-Accessories-Assist-Attachment-Device/dp/B0011YQGSY/
It looks a lot software so shouldn't cut into my palm too badly.

So... EASA is pretty good, but 2 of the accessories it came with are pretty crappy... The leg strap tho, I have no complaints. It has managed to stay put through the exercises and pretty comfortable.

OK.
Yesterday I changed my workout to "Hard" instead of medium.

O_O

It was 35 minutes, and burned 260 calories.

[quote name='lilboo']OK.
Yesterday I changed my workout to "Hard" instead of medium.

O_O

It was 35 minutes, and burned 260 calories.[/QUOTE]

I did the full body strength routine on hard and burned about the same amount of calories. The lower body exercises (squats, lunges, jump squats, jump lunges, etc.) are just killer. The upper body exercises are good too if you have strong enough resistance bands. It's too bad that there aren't any exercises that focus on the chest and midsection. However, I heard that EA is coming out with another game that focuses more on the core.

I do have a stronger band and I do feel it now. I def will take what I burn and add like..what 10% more because my bands are stronger than those crappy bands it came with.

I've done a few more exercises (in the 30 day challenge) on hard since that 1 day..and I haven't broken 200 calories either time. It's weird, I'd think it should gradually be getting tougher. Oh well. I mean theyhave been like 175+ calories in 25-35 minutes time..which IS pretty good..and since I am using stronger bands I'm losing more than that.

I did lose 4.8lbs last week..soo..this is working out OK for me.

[quote name='lilboo']I do have a stronger band and I do feel it now. I def will take what I burn and add like..what 10% more because my bands are stronger than those crappy bands it came with.

I've done a few more exercises (in the 30 day challenge) on hard since that 1 day..and I haven't broken 200 calories either time. It's weird, I'd think it should gradually be getting tougher. Oh well. I mean theyhave been like 175+ calories in 25-35 minutes time..which IS pretty good..and since I am using stronger bands I'm losing more than that.

I did lose 4.8lbs last week..soo..this is working out OK for me.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the weight loss. For me, EASA is perfect because it allows me to do some strength training in between running on the treadmill and playing basketball. At some point, I'm going to pick up the free weights, but I feel like the muscle toning exercises are really helping to trim the fat...

So would you say the Fully Body Stength on hard is the way to go? Tomorrow is a rest day, I might still want to do it.

[quote name='lilboo']So would you say the Fully Body Stength on hard is the way to go? Tomorrow is a rest day, I might still want to do it.[/QUOTE]

You'll easily burn 200+ calories doing this workout. If you can make it through the lower body exercises (lots of squats, lunges, jump squats, jump lunges, etc.), then the upper body workout will seem like a cool down period. If you have appropriate resistance bands, then your back, shoulders, triceps and biceps should get a good workout.

OMG, I had to do Squat Holds the other day!!! JEEZE. I never thougth squatting for 60 seconds would be SO painful!! (..standing up sqaut that is :cool: )

How many calories did you burn with a lower body exercise? Which one in particular? Is it called "Lower Body Exercise (hard)?"

[quote name='lilboo']OMG, I had to do Squat Holds the other day!!! JEEZE. I never thougth squatting for 60 seconds would be SO painful!! (..standing up sqaut that is :cool: )

How many calories did you burn with a lower body exercise? Which one in particular? Is it called "Lower Body Exercise (hard)?"[/QUOTE]

Right now, I'm really only trying to use EASA for my upper body workouts. I normally play basketball on Saturdays, but I had to pass on playing this past weekend. To make up for not playing ball, I decided to do a full body strength workout (on hard) as opposed to just the upper body workout. I would say that I burned 170-180 calories just doing the lower body strength workout, and this took about 25 minutes.

Lower body workouts drive me crazy. That PAINFUL leg feeling just.. kills me. Most workouts are a good pain, but the next day..it hurts to walk. I hate that :(

It's ashame they don't have any chest/Ab exercises

[quote name='lilboo']Lower body workouts drive me crazy. That PAINFUL leg feeling just.. kills me. Most workouts are a good pain, but the next day..it hurts to walk. I hate that :(

It's ashame they don't have any chest/Ab exercises[/QUOTE]

There's going to be an expansion that comes out during the holidays that adds 30 exercises that focus more on the chest and core. Hopefully, it's not priced at $60 like the original.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-ea-sports-active-is-a-huge-success-expansion-coming-134395.phtml

Since I'm still a bit unsure , given the choice between this , the Gold's Gym workout game , or another exercise/workout game for the wii (there sure are enough of them :lol:) which would be the better choice?

At the moment I do not have the balance board , but given that my local stores have been having a much easier time keeping Wii Fit in stock in the last few months , it shouldn't be that long before I get one.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Since I'm still a bit unsure , given the choice between this , the Gold's Gym workout game , or another exercise/workout game for the wii (there sure are enough of them :lol:) which would be the better choice?

At the moment I do not have the balance board , but given that my local stores have been having a much easier time keeping Wii Fit in stock in the last few months , it shouldn't be that long before I get one.[/QUOTE]

I use EASA and Gold's Game (I have Wii Fit, but I basically use it for the weight tracking channel and occasionally for the fun balance games).

I like the 30 Day Challenge in EASA, and how it forces me to do things that I wouldn't choose on my own (like lunges).

Gold's Gym is really good for a cardio workout, but it's really just boxing. I like the boxing workouts, so it's great for me. If you don't like boxing, it might not be a good choice for you.

bread's done
Back