Best places to eat in Los Angeles?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Furashu

Furashu

CAG Mercenary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hi im looking to drive up to LA and make a day out of it.

What are some cool places to visit?
Where are some good places to eat?

So far on my list are only..

- Wax Museum
- Ripleys believe it or not museum
- chinatown plaza

- Pink's hot dogs
- that korean bbq kart by UCLA from jekkis blog
Trade on GOOZEX and get $1 trade credit + a free 100 pt game!
http://www.goozex.co...r=6111658335991

PSN : Dunkindoanuts

#2 dan13l858

dan13l858

R.I.P. Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

Juju Cereal Bar for Breakfast
Sprinkles cupcakes for sweet tooth fix

As for eateries, i have to think about that.

#3 Weedy649

Weedy649

Keepin it cheap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:23 AM

I actually went this month, so happy I can pitch in.

Fathers Office - amazing place, if you like burgers you've got to try it. Office Burger is delicious

Palaminos - They have wonderful drink specials the $4 cranberry mojito is awesome. Everything about this place was just right, the mood and feel was great.

ChaCha Chicken - Caribbean food that taste very good

Joses Bernstein - I had a chicken quesadilla here...best I've ever had. This place is legit.

#4 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

I feel I should warn you... Pink's is overrated. It's a tourist trap, all the tour busses stop there. You'll literally spend a couple of hours in line for a so-so hot dog.

#5 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

I feel I should warn you... Pink's is overrated. It's a tourist trap, all the tour busses stop there. You'll literally spend a couple of hours in line for a so-so hot dog.

That is horse hockey. Pinks is delicious! Just make sure you get a polish dog and not a normal hot dog. Their nachos onion rings are also mighty delicious!!!

#6 geminas01

geminas01

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

Kogi - the korean bbq/mexican cart should not be on your list. It's pretty expensive considering you can get some decent tacos around LA for way less. Also, what people don't tell you is that, unless you stand around in the streets and wait in line in the truck stop spot before-hand, you will probably have to wait 1-2 hours to get your food. Unless you really like Korean BBQ and really want to see how it taste in a taco/burrito, but if you eat Mexican food for what it is, this is something you can skip.

If you have money to throw down, you could try Pizzeria Mozza -- which might be hard to get a table depending on the date you're going. But that's on the expensive side if you're used to Domino's prices, though its supposedly one of the bets pizzerias in the country. If you like finer dining there are a few other places that are popular, but pricey and hard to get in as well. There are a few steakhouses in Beverly Hills -- I think Lawry's is the cheapest, kinda like House of Prime Rib in SF. I would not recommend eating at the Chinatown -- most of the restaurants there are crap, if you're aiming for authentic chinese food. I would go to Alhambara or Monterey Park instead for something like that, but then, the food in Chinatown might fit your appetite if you're used to american chinese food. (if you don't know the difference, you probably prefer the latter). Diddy Riese is cool for an ice cream sandwich if you're by Westwood, but its not a must visit place in a one day tour.

LA is not like other cities -- everything are pretty spread out and it's pretty difficult to find a good place to eat unelss you're wiliing to throw down some $$. It is pretty hard to make recommendations because of that. Cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, are great places to walk around to visit some place cool place and eat some good food, cheap or expensive. Los Angeles is not one of those cities.

For places to visit, if you like art or architecture, check out the Getty. There is actually two locations for the museum -- the Getty Center and the Getty Villa, which is arguably the best museums here in LA, if you're into art. The two differs though -- I believe the Villa is more into ancient statues/art, where as the Getty Center is more about art that are in the renaissance period on -- but look it up to be sure. You might also want to visit the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater, which are right next to each other. You can also try the Santa Monica Pier. Other than these places, I don't know what else to tell you, unless you want to check out a studio, and perhaps watch a taping? Conan?

Edited by geminas01, 31 May 2009 - 11:07 AM.

#7 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

That is horse hockey. Pinks is delicious! Just make sure you get a polish dog and not a normal hot dog. Their nachos onion rings are also mighty delicious!!!

Strongly disagree. Not even close to a good hotdog to be found at Pink's. Just an overcooked, greasy piece of junk. You are much better off going to Carney's on Sunset or Ventura.

#8 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

Kogi - the korean bbq/mexican cart should not be on your list. It's pretty expensive considering you can get some decent tacos around LA for way less. Also, what people don't tell you is that, unless you stand around in the streets and wait in line in the truck stop spot before-hand, you will probably have to wait 1-2 hours to get your food. Unless you really like Korean BBQ and really want to see how it taste in a taco/burrito, but if you eat Mexican food for what it is, this is something you can skip.

If you have money to throw down, you could try Pizzeria Mozza -- which might be hard to get a table depending on the date you're going. But that's on the expensive side if you're used to Domino's prices, though its supposedly one of the bets pizzerias in the country. If you like finer dining there are a few other places that are popular, but pricey and hard to get in as well. There are a few steakhouses in Beverly Hills -- I think Lawry's is the cheapest, kinda like House of Prime Rib in SF. I would not recommend eating at the Chinatown -- most of the restaurants there are crap, if you're aiming for authentic chinese food. I would go to Alhambara or Monterey Park instead for something like that, but then, the food in Chinatown might fit your appetite if you're used to american chinese food. (if you don't know the difference, you probably prefer the latter). Diddy Riese is cool for an ice cream sandwich if you're by Westwood, but its not a must visit place in a one day tour.

LA is not like other cities -- everything are pretty spread out and it's pretty difficult to find a good place to eat unelss you're wiliing to throw down some $$. It is pretty hard to make recommendations because of that. Cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, are great places to walk around to visit some place cool place and eat some good food, cheap or expensive. Los Angeles is not one of those cities.

For places to visit, if you like art or architecture, check out the Getty. There is actually two locations for the museum -- the Getty Center and the Getty Villa, which is arguably the best museums here in LA, if you're into art. The two differs though -- I believe the Villa is more into ancient statues/art, where as the Getty Center is more about art that are in the renaissance period on -- but look it up to be sure. You might also want to visit the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater, which are right next to each other. You can also try the Santa Monica Pier. Other than these places, I don't know what else to tell you, unless you want to check out a studio, and perhaps watch a taping? Conan?

As someone who has lived in Los Angeles for the last decade and who actually works part-time as a line cook in the Hollywood area, I would agree strongly with the above. Mozza is one of the few places people who actually work as chefs go when they want a good meal.

Kogi is way overrated. It's a neat gimmick, but not worth waiting in the long lines to get. Lawry's is cool for the old school flair. I also like the Smokehouse in Burbank, right across the street from Warner Bros. Bossa Nova on Sunset and La Brea is good for Brazilian style chicken and steaks. I also agree with Father's Office for a really unique and delicious burger.

I would stay away from the touristy crap like Pink's or Sprinkles or even Pinkberry. All of them are way overrated and not worth your time.

#9 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:52 PM

Disneyland (to go to)
:-#

#10 souljah420

souljah420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:06 AM

well if you aren't afraid of black people or the ghetto, you gotta go to roscoes near hollywood. absolutely amazing
For Sale / For Trade List

#11 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:21 AM

well if you aren't afraid of black people or the ghetto, you gotta go to roscoes near hollywood. absolutely amazing

All you need to know right here.
If you can't KOF with the best
Than Street Fight With The Rest

#12 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:56 AM

Roscoe's is NOT in the ghetto.

#13 dphizz

dphizz

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:51 AM

Roscoe's is NOT in the ghetto.

agreed. Well the one on Gower and Sunset anyways. It's across from a TV station. If you think it is ghetto over there, you need to go experience more of LA my friends. I would hit up Roscoe's and bring cash to pay for valet, it's much easier to deal with as parking is impossible around there.

If you can make it to Santa Monica, Buddha's Belly is pretty good too. I''d recommend the garlic fried rice (as simple as it sounds, they just do something amazing to it here and include sweet roasted cloves of garlic in the rice) or the ahi tuna burger with sweet potato fries.

but i will agree about Pink's and the Kogi Tacos. Pink's is overrated and the Kogi tacos are good, but it really isn't that hard to cook some beef with korean bbq stuff and throw it with some cilantro and kimchee into a taco. You can do that at home.

If you're looking for desert, how does an ice cream sandwhich sound? Freshly baked cookies and a scoop of your choice of ice cream = diabetic coma. Look up Diddy Reise.

[LEFT]

Posted Image

[LEFT]

My Geek News Blog:http://phandom.posterous.com

[LEFT][CENTER]
My Airsoft and Gun Blog: http://www.teamaws.com

#14 mis0

mis0

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:46 AM

I only make the trip up to LA from Orange County to either 1. Go clubbing, 2. Clippers game, 3. KOREATOWN FOR KOREAN FOOD.

I guarantee you, you will not find better Korean food anywhere in California. No where. You can't go wrong with any of them actually. I would recommend the Gomtang place that's open 24/7 with the barred windows. Can't think of the name of place off the top of my head.. but yeah, I'll get back to you. Korean mafia eat there sometimes.. but they don't really do anything.

[mis0's tradelist]

#15 geminas01

geminas01

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:05 AM

Disneyland (to go to)

Unless it's the purpose of the trip, I wouldn't recommend going to Disneyland. It's expensive even if you have a so.cal residency, and it's not even in L.A...takes 40 mins minimum to get there from downtown.

Roscoe's is another place that is overrated. Expect to play $15-$20 for 2 pieces of chicken + waffles. It's no different than chicken and waffles I've had from Jersey, New York, Atlanta, or Oakland. The waffle is good, but chicken is definitely not the best fried chicken you can get around here. And no, it's not in the ghetto.

K-town is good for Koeran food, though I would say OC's korean food isn't bad either. And go Clippers :applause: -- Dumbleavy don't screw it up.

#16 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:36 AM

Unless it's the purpose of the trip, I wouldn't recommend going to Disneyland. It's expensive even if you have a so.cal residency, and it's not even in L.A...takes 40 mins minimum to get there from downtown.

Roscoe's is another place that is overrated. Expect to play $15-$20 for 2 pieces of chicken + waffles. It's no different than chicken and waffles I've had from Jersey, New York, Atlanta, or Oakland. The waffle is good, but chicken is definitely not the best fried chicken you can get around here. And no, it's not in the ghetto.

K-town is good for Koeran food, though I would say OC's korean food isn't bad either. And go Clippers :applause: -- Dumbleavy don't screw it up.

Agreed. Roscoe's is another one of those novelty places. The food isn't particularly good, but people like the idea of combining chicken and a waffle, so they keep going back. I would also say that Gardena has some great Korean places, as well as some of the best Japanese food in Los Angeles County.

#17 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:54 AM

Pink's is awesome if you enjoy spending $7 on a hot dog. Seriously, I don't care what you put on it - no hot dog is worth $7 unless someone's feeding it to you and it's made of Kobe beef.

Cause I'm sick of seeing ghosts, and I know how it's all gonna end

There's no triumph waiting, there's no sunset to ride off in

We all want to be great men, there's nothing romantic about it

I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given

I just want to sell out my funeral.

I just want to be enough for everyone.

#18 mis0

mis0

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:17 AM

Pink's is awesome if you enjoy spending $7 on a hot dog. Seriously, I don't care what you put on it - no hot dog is worth $7 unless someone's feeding it to you and it's made of Kobe beef.

I prefer getting my hot dogs from the vendors right out on the street corners. $4 usually for a "Heart Attack". Best stuff to eat right after leaving the club. Yum. I can totally justify the $4 because you get a nice hot link, all the toppings, grilled onions, and bacon bits. So bad.. yet so good. :lol:

[mis0's tradelist]

#19 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

I don't know, when something is being cooked on a baking sheet with a couple cans of sterno underneath, that's when I start to question whether the health department knows about it.

#20 tkottikas

tkottikas

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:52 AM

Strongly disagree. Not even close to a good hotdog to be found at Pink's. Just an overcooked, greasy piece of junk. You are much better off going to Carney's on Sunset or Ventura.

agreed! go to Carney's way better than pinks.

#21 dman1869

dman1869

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

Well for places to eat stop by Olvera Street. You've got to try Cielito Lindo. They are porbably the best taquitos I have ever tried. Also while you're there cross the street and head over to Phillipe for some bomb sandwiches. They are off of Alameda St.

Just out of curiosity what are you doing in LA, Fu?

#22 mis0

mis0

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

I don't know, when something is being cooked on a baking sheet with a couple cans of sterno underneath, that's when I start to question whether the health department knows about it.

Obviously they don't! But I love me some good, cheap food.

[mis0's tradelist]

#23 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:49 AM

For $4, I'll fully back the bacon-wrapped dogs outside of the Mayan. Delicious stuff, a little sketchy but many of the best places in LA are. Man up, hand them a fiver for a dog and a Coke and worry about it some other time.

Cause I'm sick of seeing ghosts, and I know how it's all gonna end

There's no triumph waiting, there's no sunset to ride off in

We all want to be great men, there's nothing romantic about it

I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given

I just want to sell out my funeral.

I just want to be enough for everyone.

#24 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:53 AM

omg... I havent checked the west forum in ages...

let's have another food gathering!!

Posted Image

http://www.yelp.com/...ilk-los-angeles

PS fukk the Kogi haters... u dont go there for spontaneous eating, u go there to have a good time.

but u guys wouldnt kno about that coz u're all narcs!!!

#25 greenrocks

greenrocks

Nightcrawler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

Well yeah Pink's hotdog is KINDA overrated, filled with celebrities' portraits there... I think there's some signatures on it too? o_O; Sure hotdogs is huge, real big but expensive. =P

I like Garden Cafe in Alhambra (not exactly in LA, just 10 minutes east of LA)... if you like Chinese foods and it's cheap. Stays open until late. Check http://www.yelp.com/...n-cafe-alhambra for pictures... plus reviews from people who went there...

I recommend Sizzling Beef Udon with X.O. sauce ^_^
Posted Image

#26 batman1939

batman1939

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:56 AM

Am I the only one here from east LA? Come down to the getto and go to King Taco. There is one in Pasadena but doesn't taste the same. And while you here Shakey's Pizza in Monterey Park. There are a lot but the one in Monterey Park taste better I don't know why.

#27 Furashu

Furashu

CAG Mercenary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

i forgot to mention im from san diego, where im sure the mexican food tastes better because we are way closer to the border lol. thanks for the tips guys. LA will be the last trip for summer for me since it is so close!
Trade on GOOZEX and get $1 trade credit + a free 100 pt game!
http://www.goozex.co...r=6111658335991

PSN : Dunkindoanuts

#28 h8b1llg8ts

h8b1llg8ts

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

Club 33. Seriously, have the Prime Rib.

Making Love To You Was Never Second Best ...
sig.gif

Second best website to CAG: www.consolecolors.com

#29 SXEZSKOZ

SXEZSKOZ

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

best kbbq is park's bbq in ktown- the most amazing galbi i've encountered for a modest price.

daikokuya ramen in little tokyo is great, it's not as good as it used to be though, i prefer santouka ramen in mitsuwa market over on the westside near santa monica.

guelaguetza has amazing mexican food from the oaxaca region, located in ktown. killer mixed drinks and live music.

langer's deli has pastrami sandwiches worth going to war over- pricey, but justified by the cut of the meat. it's in macarthur park.

abc seafood in chinatown has the best dim sum for the price i've had in l.a., sooo cheap and soo good.

i hunger.

#30 MarkMan

MarkMan

CAG TEKKEN MASTER

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

Best KBBQ I've had is...

Manna (there are 2 locations), on in Ktown and one off Marina Del Rey
Mr. Lee's in Cerritos

I heard Road to Seoul is super good too....

I'm in the Santa Monica area a LOT and Cerritos. Love the food in that area.

If you like Sushi check out Joe's Sushi in Lakewood. All you can eat deal has some yummy stuff.

Best ramen for me is Asa Ramen in Gardena (thanks JEKKI for pointing that place out to me), and it closes at 2 AM! (closed Sunday though).

Reigning Super CAG Fighting Quiz Game Winner plus Alpha@ hyper-turbo.eXtreme!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

SDTEKKEN - TekkenZaibatsu - Mad Catz - EVO2010