PSP Go thread-

• Please log in to reply
1322 replies to this topic

#31 Kfoster1979

Kfoster1979

Fanboys Suck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

The used game market wont dry up, considering the 3000 is still going to be selling, plus I bet we WILL se a price drop shortly after the release of the psp go, just like the lite droped by $30 after the dsi was released.

The DS Lite has been 129.99 since its launch in 2006.

I'm sure sony will find a way to let you convert your had disks over to the go, Sony dse a pretty good job of supporting its fan base.

Doubt it, in the video he kept talking about a digital and download strategy. Sony is going to try to ride both trains at first. If anything its the publishers who will make the push to go full download and no UMDs because of cost. Best case Sony says OK any game you have you can get the DL for 5 bucks, but how do you prove what games you own?

I will never support download games. Dont care how good the games are. Refuse to encourage the profiteer racketing publishers are promoting. They price fix the games by eliminating the used market and making it appear the game is in high demand by keeping the games priced high and expensive. And of course they can get away with this considering they control the point of distribution and you can't get it anywhere else.

It works for Apple, Steam, XBLA, and PSN. All have games go on sales all the time, and you cant "hide" sales if something isnt selling it just not selling. So you have Publisher A who wants to sell a game at 29.99, but no one buys it they are just going to keep it at that price and not cut it? Thing is this is the future just like with music, movies, Video Games are all going online distrbution.

Edited by Kfoster1979, 30 May 2009 - 07:36 PM.

[B]3DS FC 1977-0174-5552
Follow me on Twitter
Posted Image

#32 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

I will never support download games. Dont care how good the games are. Refuse to encourage the profiteer racketing publishers are promoting. They price fix the games by eliminating the used market and making it appear the game is in high demand by keeping the games priced high and expensive. And of course they can get away with this considering they control the point of distribution and you can't get it anywhere else.

Too bad you will be missing out all the great games on XBLA, PSN, and Virtual console. Actually Steam got sales all the time, probably more deals than most B&M stores.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#33 rumarudrathas

rumarudrathas

Oderint Dum Metuant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

Okay, my take on the product.

I would really like to know the battery life of the PSP Go. I've been told that one of the reason the PSP3k and older models were known to have sub-par battery life due to the huge colored screen and a rotor-driven UMD drive. Now, we still have the same sizable screen (but whether or not it's bigger/better/more energy efficient is still up in the air), but they nixed the UMD drive and replaced it with a (hopefully togglable) Bluetooth connectivity.

Also, what's the Price? $200 to match the current PSP sounds really reasonable (with the current PSP going down in pricepoint), but again, the expectation is there for Go to be around the $250 pricepoint, which is a mistake when you compare that price with the DSi, iPhone/iPod Touch, or even the price of a home console.

I don't care for the Go revolving around a digital distribution system, since it's apparent there is a real market for those kind of things, and we have examples in the wild of such a economy being grossly succesful and profitable. But, we need to see the expected range of prices for the Digitial products. Seeing Patapon 2 hitting the e-shelves at $20 seems to be a good indication that the future of e-shelf pricing on retail games will be reasonable (though I haven't played the game myself).

Also, I think Sony is drawing a bit of inspiration from the Apple App store in regards to games. Small, bite-sized games ranging from $1-$10 sells pretty well in the App Store, and currently going through a Stick-War addiction, I could see Sony going towards the simplicistic micro-portable games model.

Now, I would really want better flash support, especially flash video, but we'll see if that can come to fruition this time around, or would I need to wait a bit longer or should I stick to my Touch?

As for a current owner of a PSP3k, "me no buy", and unless they become ridiculously cheap, I don't intend of ever "upgrading".

#34 ScottsUSERID

ScottsUSERID

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

The DS Lite has been 129.99 since launch in 2009.

Doubt it, in the video he kept talking about a digital and download strategy. Sony is going to try to ride both trains at first. If anything its the publishers who will make the push to go full download and no UMDs because of cost. Best case Sony says OK any game you have you can get the DL for 5 bucks, but how do you prove what games you own?

It works for Apple, Steam, XBLA, and PSN. All have games go on sales all the time, and you cant "hide" sales if something isnt selling it just not selling. So you have Publisher A who wants to sell a game at 29.99, but no one buys it they are just going to keep it at that price and not cut it? Thing is this is the future just like with music, movies, Video Games are all going online distrbution.

I don't think they will cut it, because as long as their product has interest to sell and there is only one place to get it, then why should they drop the price at all?

There is a lot of people out there that think everytime you drop a price when there is no reason to that you are taking money out of their pocket. I see everything going to digital distribution as a sign of this attitude about to poke it's head threw malevolently.

#35 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

Well looks like that was real. Oh well got enough games for the old PSP to warrant the purchase.

#36 Fuzi0n

Fuzi0n

"What's a Nubian?"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

The new design and all DL content makes me very interested. I hope they go the way of apple and allow anyone to develop games and applications that can be put onto the market place for free/low cost.

Hi-res shot here: http://www.eurogamer...ticle_id=587698

#37 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

I don't think they will cut it, because as long as their product has interest to sell and there is only one place to get it, then why should they drop the price at all?

There is a lot of people out there that think everytime you drop a price when there is no reason to that you are taking money out of their pocket. I see everything going to digital distribution as a sign of this attitude about to poke it's head threw malevolently.

You can make the same argument for physical media. Nintendo has no reason to drop the price on Mairo Kart.

I gotten free downloads for PSN and XBLA. Do you think I will ever be able to walk in a store and walk away with a free game?

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#38 Kfoster1979

Kfoster1979

Fanboys Suck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

Is the Screen OLD? If so that's a big check mark in the I want one column.

There is a lot of people out there that think every time you drop a price when there is no reason to that you are taking money out of their pocket. I see everything going to digital distribution as a sign of this attitude about to poke it's head threw malevolently.

People will always get pissed about a price drop that's just the nature of retail no matter what.

What I was getting at is the price fixing, as you put it, for digital content. There are numerous models out there that show it works and consumers find value in it. Like I said above Apple and Steam both have content on sale all the time and it drives up sales. Should I be pissed that I paid 9.99 for SimCity on my iPhone and a few months later they move it to 7.99 no because I found a good value in it for 9.99. Also publishers set the prices not the content servers they just take a cut, well in apples case, so if Someone wants to sell something on the PSN for 5.00 bucks so be it, but they will only make maybe a buck per download.

You can make the same argument for physical media. Nintendo has no reason to drop the price on Mairo Kart.

I gotten free downloads for PSN and XBLA. Do you think I will ever be able to walk in a store and walk away with a free game?

No shit, This is why Nintendo First party games never go down in price (very much). I held out for Super Smash Bros for the GCN forever and got it for 24.99 at target 2 years after it came out.

[B]3DS FC 1977-0174-5552
Follow me on Twitter
Posted Image

#39 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

I like the location of the nub. I am all about games on just the memory stick or built in memory. Looks great too. I just want to know what this thing feels like and the price. I would think if this thing doesn't use UMDs and has smaller parts it would use less battery life. Yes?

#40 knightsdwn

knightsdwn

Beautiful Plastic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

Imagine the possibilities when the hackers get their grubby hands on this thing :-#.

I'm hoping Sony doesn't pull another PS3 launch and price this bad boy way out of reach for most of us.

#41 tenzor

tenzor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

looks awesome, but I am worried about three main things:

1. Analog Stick placement (and while on the subject where is the second damn analog!)

2. Price. Often new sleek technology gadgets like this when first announced always carry a hefty price tag. Plus having 16gigs of internal memory versus the PSP-3000 1gb Entertainment pack going for $199.99, I would have to predict that the PSP Go will cost at least $229.99-$249.99.

Remember the 16gb Ipod Touch does not cost $199.99 or less, but more like $299.99.

3. Current and Future PSP UMDs. Since they mention the PSP-3000 will be available still with the PSP GO will that mean they still plan on releasing UMD games in retail stores along with PSN digital downloads? What about my current games that I own, will their be any FREE way of getting those games to be played on the new PSP Go ? How sony handles this will determine if they get my money or not.

#42 ecmazza

ecmazza

CAG, where is my wallet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

any idea/thoughts on the battery, that is, user replaceable or not...i dont see a battery compartment...are going the way of the ipod, b/c that would make me kinda mad...for example when the battery dies would sony replace it for you, what about years from now, then what do you do???
My BLOG: www.christianspicer.com (stand-up stuff, video game thoughts, random-awesome stuff)
Me on MYSPACE: www.myspace.com/christianspicercomedy
Me on FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook....christianspicer
Me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/spicer
Me on YouTube: www.youtube.com/christianspicer
Posted Image

#43 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

Also any word on if people will be able to download their UMD titles to the new PSP? Cause thats the only reason I would get one, and it looks like my friend is in the same boat... and everything is pointing towards No in that respect.

#44 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

Imagine the possibilities when the hackers get their grubby hands on this thing :-#.

I'm hoping Sony doesn't pull another PS3 launch and price this bad boy way out of reach for most of us.

The hackers havent done much with PSP 3000 or PS3

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#45 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

BT & oLED? I am betting on $250 then.
I do support DLC games but not for more than $20.

The analog stick looks way too cramped where it is for people with large hands; I wont know for sure until I get my hands on it then, reserving judgment on that issue until then.

However, if the price is excessive and I am going to have trouble getting my old catalog of PSP games on it- then it's on the fail train to nowheresville for me.

Seems I am not alone in the "it's hideous" camp. It's not banana controller bad but . . . :puke: (However, I often find myself wishing the banana controller was released- As my disdain for the DS3 grows daily).

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#46 Ecofreak

Ecofreak

That's Ah Bingo!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

For people who are concerned with the placement of the analogue stick, the system itself looks like it has the same dimensions of the regular PS controller -- and people seem to be just find with that. My only problem w/ the PSP analogue stick is how low it is the base; but then again, I've only played a PSP for ~30 minutes total.

Posted Image

I'm cautiously optimistic as I've been losing interest in the DS, honestly, and been looking for a reason to play Dissedia, Portable Ops, and Crisis Core. If this thing turns out well, then I may have just found my reason.
[thread=49233]Trade List[/thread]

#47 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

Given the track record of recent Sony losses they aren't like MS and can afford massive losses so this will be priced at the point with little to no loss and maybe even a slight profit.

#48 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

For people who are concerned with the placement of the analogue stick, the system itself looks like it has the same dimensions of the regular PS controller -- and people seem to be just find with that. My only problem w/ the PSP analogue stick is how low it is the base; but then again, I've only played a PSP for ~30 minutes total.

I'm not fine with it (the DS3 layout) and I know most gamers I talk to aren't either. Also note that the PSP go lacks the palm grip surface resting under your thumb-swell that the DS3 and older PS controllers possess; So balancing it without much support and reaching your thumb over to the center numb looks uncomfortable, but like I said- only hands on will tell.

Given the track record of recent Sony losses they aren't like MS and can afford massive losses so this will be priced at the point with little to no loss and maybe even a slight profit.

I'm afraid your right, I predict a higher than expected launch price.

My Trade list:

#49 Ecofreak

Ecofreak

That's Ah Bingo!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

I'm not fine with it (the DS3 layout) and I know most gamers I talk to aren't either. Also note that the PSP go lacks the palm grip surface resting under your thumb-swell that the DS3 and older PS controllers possess; So balancing it without much support and reaching your thumb over to the center numb looks uncomfortable, but like I said- only hands on will tell.

Well that's strange -- because a the DS3 is configured just like the DS2 which was part of the PS2, which sold millions and millions of consoles. Just seems...unlikely, that most gamers you know would be so against a controller that's been in use for...over 10 years now? Guess the Xbox controller must have been sliced bread to you all.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the analogue nub will be satisfactory, although more cautious than optimistic.

Things the PSP GO will lose compared to PSP Olds:
- Some Size
- UMD Port

Things it will Gain:
- Bluetooth
- 16 GB internal storage (probably flash based or some equivalent)
- Sliding mechanism

I don't expect the price point to be all that different -- especially considering that they're going to be targeting the same casual audience as the iPhone. May not be the best news for we core gamers, but hopefully Sony will have realized that throwing in everything and the kitchen sink doesn't translate into sales if people can't really understand the value associated with the hardware.
[thread=49233]Trade List[/thread]

#50 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

I love how Sony built in Bluetooth 2.1 into the PSP Go so you could used the PS3's Cotroller to play it WOW!!! so Hyped.

Plus with PS3 remote play you can basically PLay your PS3 games on your PSP Go anywhere you are basically making it a Portable PS3

you obviously know little of what you speak

What is the point of using a separate controller on a portable system?

Have you ever used remote play? As far as gaming goes, it seems its only worthwhile purpose is to tell you what game is currently in your PS3.
Posted Image

#51 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

Well that's strange -- because a the DS3 is configured just like the DS2 which was part of the PS2, which sold millions and millions of consoles. Just seems...unlikely, that most gamers you know would be so against a controller that's been in use for...over 10 years now? Guess the Xbox controller must have been sliced bread to you all.

Since the introduction of an upper mounted asymmetric analog stick has proven significantly more comfortable and functional for most gamers I know- the dated (a 10 year old design dating back to the PS1 dual) and poor ergonomics of the low-center left analog seem a poor design choice and a step backwards from even the original PSP.

& FWIW: yes most gamers I know do not like the archaic Dual Shock analog layout anymore.

And how exactly is a "sliding mechanism" a "gain" this is usually a negative for me as IME it greatly increases device failure/breakage. I would rather it clam-shell open and closed to protect the screen and provide more controller area, but I'm sure that would make it look too much like the DS for Sony's taste.

Edited by h3llbring3r, 30 May 2009 - 09:12 PM.

My Trade list:

#52 briandadude

briandadude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Wow. That looks bad. No way it will be less than $200 and I'm sure you won't be able to transfer UMD games to it. Looks like my configured PSP 2000 is still tops!

#53 knightsdwn

knightsdwn

Beautiful Plastic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

The hackers havent done much with PSP 3000 or PS3

True but they've made small strides that could potentially lead into something huge. I'm not holding my breath though but it's nice to speculate.

I wish it took MS Duos instead of M2 though just because it's more readily available and that I have several unused ones sitting around :cry:.

#54 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

Seems I am not alone in the "it's hideous" camp. It's not banana controller bad but . . . :puke: (However, I often find myself wishing the banana controller was released- As my disdain for the DS3 grows daily).

You and I both know you'd buy a PS3 Banana Controller. $250 price point...maybe. 16gb of space might be the telling factor here. Bluetooth is a surprise, but the Start/Select button placement is bad (it's where a 2nd stick should be, and we all know it). Other than that, it looks like the bad mockup 1up did.

Oh, and regarding the sliding nature. They missed the boat on this because it's not like the DS/GB in where the screen was protected when it's closed. A feature I like.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#55 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

I wish it took MS Duos instead of M2 though just because it's more readily available and that I have several unused ones sitting around :cry:.

Hrmm, thats another issue for me. I haven't bought any MS micros and really don't want to have to. I am happily using nothing but SD's and microSDs with the exception of my DSLR (CF) and Camcorder (MSduos).

You and I both know you'd buy a PS3 Banana Controller. $250 price point...maybe. 16gb of space might be the telling factor here. Bluetooth is a surprise, but the Start/Select button placement is bad (it's where a 2nd stick should be, and we all know it). Other than that, it looks like the bad mockup 1up did.

Oh, and regarding the sliding nature. They missed the boat on this because it's not like the DS/GB in where the screen was protected when it's closed. A feature I like.

:lol: You know it, with my Peyronie's I would definitely be more comfortable with the banana-rang. ;)

Indeed, the slide could end up being problematic.

My Trade list:

#56 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

It takes M2 over Pro Duos? I missed that to.

#57 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

Is the Screen OLD? If so that's a big check mark in the I want one column.

All signs point to no. I would think that if it was OLED, Sony would have made it clear in one of the slides. The screen segment also looks a bit too thick, going against OLED's usual paper-thin profile; though the fact that the screen is in its own segment should be proof enough, as such a design would be problematic for OLED. It's a nice tech on paper, but the simple fact is that OLED is far too early in development to surpass LCD in the case of a device like a portable game console. It is still too expensive and has some basic problems that need to be solved before it would be of practical use in this situation.

As for my thoughts: It's an interesting design, and it seems to side-step the PSP's biggest challenge, though it may simultaneously serve to exacerbate a different flaw.

At first, I was a bit negative on the control layout, but after looking at it some more, it seems to work, though I really can't comment on the ergonomics. The placement and design of the Start/Select buttons is pretty odd, but I see no indication that it will cause any problems. The sliding function is stylistically interesting, but nowadays seems functionally useless due to the lack of a touchscreen. I just hope that Sony at least tries to make the most of it with some basic precautions: 1) Strong Anti-scratch coating for the screen. 2) A really
Spoiler
really sturdy sliding mechanism.

From a consumer analysis point-of-view, I really can't see any basic functional advantage that this has over the current model. Unless it has some new specs, it looks like shelling out more cash for a more narrow range of buying options. You can already download all of the current and future games available on PSN to the older models, but you still have the option of buying them in-store on UMD. You lose nothing by going with the older model, which is an advantage in one case (No forced obsolescence), but is at the same time becomes a disadvantage for the Go! itself.

As I said, it's an interesting design, and an interesting concept to watch, but I would have rather that they had saved this design for a year, add touchscreen functionality to give the sliding a purpose, put a second analog nub where the start/select keys are (The circle shape is practically asking for a nub), move the start/select button to the lower part of the control layout, and make the major internal upgrades that would turn it into the PSP2.

#58 knightsdwn

knightsdwn

Beautiful Plastic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

It takes M2 over Pro Duos? I missed that to.

Yeah, I remember reading the spec rundown on Engadget and seeing the Go only taking M2s.
I've actually checked the prices of these M2s on Amazon and they aren't that bad at all. Roughly 13 to 16 smackers for a 4GB stick is very reasonable.

#59 Vanigan

Vanigan

V.V.V.V.V.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

Keep in mind that the internal 16gb flash memory is just that, flash memory. It's the same stuff that is put, very cheaply, into USB flash drives that practically everyone carries around these days. So that amount of internal memory won't have that bad a price influence.

The bluetooth integrations sounds like it has the latest format, which I hope means you can send all audio through bluetooth so you can hear regular game audio, not just voice chat. It's also likely you can control the PSP's music player from

I'm currently torn between this, and an iPod Touch as I have a mobile gadget budgeted in. The touch is way more forward looking than the PSP. However, if Sony announces certain kinds of support for the PSP my opinion may shift back. But they'll have to allow almost all developers to develop on the PSP and upload to the PSN, much like the apple app store

#60 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

Yeah, I remember reading the spec rundown on Engadget and seeing the Go only taking M2s.
I've actually checked the prices of these M2s on Amazon and they aren't that bad at all. Roughly 13 to 16 smackers for a 4GB stick is very reasonable.

Yeah M2's are actualy pretty cheap.

@ Mr Twist

Good points, but where did you read external UMD player? I also don't see why Sony would go with "mini" blu-rays if the biggest point of going digital only is to stop piracy/the convenience of not carrying games all over the place.