PSP Go thread-

h3llbring3r

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
Update:
First signs of $50 U.S. Price drop showing up! National large market retailer Fry's is offering $199.99 price this week. Is this going to be echoed at other retailers in the next few weeks?
sony-nixes-plans-for-umd-conversion-program-for-pspgo
-via Kotaku

Original PSP to PSPgo Peripheral adapter (price TBD):
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/24/stop-and-look-at-psp-gos-ridiculous-converter-cable/
pspgocableconvt5.jpg

Click for larger image.

New color:
White (pearl w- glitter):
white-psp-go-h-o-2009-06-05_07-25-39-rm-eng.jpg

Video- Shows button layout and both colors:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wYzqaNTccY

Limited (approximately 300) UMD title "good will" digital conversion coming:
(From Engadget)

Read early details:
We just sat down for an interview with Sony's John Koller, who among many other interesting tidbits and factoids (more on those later) assuaged fears that our giant UMD library would be entirely forsaken. While light on details -- they're still figuring it out, he said -- there will be a "good will" program by which owners of current disc-based titles will be able to obtain digital copies for use on the PSP Go -- "a set number of titles for a set period of time," to be exact. He couldn't confirm all games, or at least all your personal collection, would be transferrable -- that might have to do with the number of digitized games they'll have at launch, which will be at least 300 but not the whole back catalog -- but despite calling it a short-term program he did say, should you receive a new UMD game later down the line, you should still be able to make the digital transfer. As for price, we're still looking to confirm something there, but they wouldn't be putting so much effort into the program if it wasn't at least for a discount, if not free.

If you happen to like your discs, Koller said UMDs aren't going by the wayside so long as the PSP is still around, but he expects digital to start taking an increasing share. Looking to the future, he confirmed all first-party titles and most third-party titles (by the developers' own volition, not a mandate) will be available as digital downloads day and date with the UMD hard copies, and yeah, despite the reduced shipping and manufacturing costs, it'll be for the same price, too.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/30/sonys-psp-go-leaks-out-before-e3-is-obviously-a-go/

sony-psp-go-small.jpg

Update:
Related?
Interesting (via joystiq):
A recent survey seeks consumer interest in a PSP game rental service. With the PSP Go all but confirmed a possibility and UMD on its way out, a PSP that takes full advantage of the digital age and the PSN doesn't exactly sound like crazy talk. Plus, there's always going to be a rental market, so why shouldn't Sony take advantage of that?

Depending on the terms and price, the idea of a direct rental service sounds like a potentially cost effective option for gamers during these hard economic times. Should it ever come to fruition, that is.
psprental580.jpg

LOL, I guess this is more like a subscription based DD than a rental but it has potential- Zune pass equivalent for PSN?
More unattractive pics here:
pspgo2.jpg

pspgo3.jpg

pspgo5.jpg

pspgo6.jpg

pspgo7.jpg
Thanks freakyzeeky for the pics; It's not looking any better though.

Limited Spec info:
A few more official specifications are flowing from the full Qore video (pardon the sync issues). Here's the dirt:

• 3.8-inch display (resolution is undisclosed)
  • 43 percent lighter than the PSP-3000
  • 16GB of Flash storage
  • Bluetooth built-in; supports handset tethering and BT headsets
  • No UMD drive
  • Memory Stick Micro slot
  • New Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet and new Metal Gear Solid (!) on the way
  • Full PlayStation Network support (movie and TV rentals / purchases)
  • Integration with PlayStation 3 (works the same as the PSP-3000 does)
  • Sony views each of its products as "10-year lifecycle products," so the PSP "needs to live on."

From engadget:
Look up there, folks. That's the future of Sony's hopes and dreams in the handheld gaming sector. With just hours to go before the company's official E3 2009 press event, it looks like the pieces are all coming together. First a UMD-less game release, then a highly credible mole giving the PSP Go a name, and now -- live action shots. The images here were sourced from an obviously slipped June 2009 Qore video, and aside from giving us a look at the slider-based system, we're also told that it'll tout 16GB of internal memory, built-in Bluetooth and an undisclosed memory slot. If all goes well, it'll ship this Fall for a price to be determined, and it's actually not slated to replace the PSP-3000, as both of 'em will attempt to live on store shelves harmoniously... at least for awhile. Oh, and don't worry -- we'll be on hand in LA to bring you all the impressions we can muster early next week.
Is that still a single analog set up, I see? :wall:

sony-psp-go-hi-res.jpg

More fleshed out details from Crave article:
From the video, here's what we can glean so far:
Form factor: The PSP Go has a 3.8-inch wide screen (versus 4.3-inch on all previous PSP models). It's said to be 43 percent lighter than the PSP 3000, which means it would tip the scales at about 3.8 ounces. The PSP Go design is very reminiscent of the Sony Mylo--the screen slides up to reveal the controls.

Storage: The Go will offer 16GB of built-in flash memory, and it's expandable via a Memory Stick Micro slot. There is no UMD (Universal Media Disc) drive on the PSP Go. While that no doubt allows for the smaller size (and, we hope, the potential for better battery life), it also means there's no way to play existing PSP software you might own on the PSP Go.

Controls: While the layout may be different, the control scheme on the PSP Go looks to be little changed from earlier PSP models: a 4-way d-pad on the left, the standard quartet of geometrically coded Sony controls (circle, square, cross, triangle) on the right, select/start buttons in the center, and the PlayStation "home" button to the left of the screen.

A second analog control is always at or near the top of wish lists for PSP redesigns, so its absence is all but certain to get a thumbs-down from gamers. The single stick's placement--closer to the center of the control deck rather than the outside right, where it sits on earlier PSPs--could also be problematic. (That said, the Go control layout is more closely aligned to that of a traditional full-size PlayStation controller.)
None of the leaked info mentions touch-screen support, leading us to assume that the feature is not present on the PSP Go.

Wireless: In addition to certain Wi-Fi support, the PSP Go adds Bluetooth capability to the Sony handheld platform for the first time. In addition to support for standard Bluetooth headsets (and, presumably, A2DP headphones and speakers), Koller also specifies the ability to tether the PSP Go to a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone. The advantage of that isn't highlighted, but that would potentially allow Web browsing and online gaming via a tethered phone with a 3G data connection (when Wi-Fi access wasn't available).

Games: On the leaked Qore video, Koller specifically mentions PSP versions of Little Big Planet, Jak and Daxter, Gran Turismo, and "a new Metal Gear Solid." Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier had been previously announced and a PSP Gran Turismo was originally shown off way back at E3 2004. A PSP-optimized Little Big Planet has been all but confirmed, and a new MGS game will likely be welcomed with open arms (assuming it's more like the action-packed Portable Ops and less like the bizarre Metal Gear Acid).
Koller also emphasizes casual games in the interview, implying that Sony would like to see the PSP platform become home to shorter, simpler "pick up and play" games that can be downloaded from the PlayStation Store on a whim.
As for the downloadable titles: a wide selection already exists on the PlayStation Store for existing PSP owners, and it's long been clear that Sony has been moving away from UMD. The recent high-profile Patapon 2 game, for instance, is download-only.

Digital media support: Presumably, the Go will have at least the same baseline media features as the existing PSP models, which includes ample support for music, video, and photo files. Koller also mentions downloadable movies and TV shows (already available for purchase from Sony's existing iTunes-like PlayStation Store). Despite rumors of a downloadable music store, an online music option is notably not mentioned.

PS3 integration: Again, it appears that the existing interoperability between the PS3 and the PSP line will be carried over to the PSP Go. That includes the ability to cross-load some games and media, as well as the Remote Play option (access PS3-based content from the PSP over the Internet).

Price and availability: Koller says that it's coming in the fall of 2009; price isn't specified. He also confirms that the PSP 3000 will stay on the market concurrently. That, at least, is comfort for those of us who like to buy cheap used UMD-based PSP games, which are widely available.
Final thought: It's worth pointing out that the earlier leaks on this product--right down to the name--have been remarkably accurate.

Also, looks like LBP for PSP is coming soon. (see screen)
Edit: Confirmed in the video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykJFpWzj7eY

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='silent h3ro']
I'm not a big fan of the design but it does look a lot slimmer than the 3000 which is very nce.[/QUOTE]

Slimmer when it is slid open; I bet it is as thick if not thicker since it has got to have an intermediary housing behind the sliding portions. I could be wrong though.

Adding your better vid to the OP.

It having only a single analog still is very disappointing (I guess that's so it's design is more in-line with original PSP so than can continue to sell the 3000). Is Sony listening to PSP gamers at all? I'm worried it is going to have a cramped feel like the DS lite does, affecting those of us with large hands. I can't play a DSlite for more than 15-20 minutes, could be a deal-breaker for me.

Choosing to still sell the 3000 makes me wonder exactly how confident Sony is with this new product.

A second analog stick wouldn't make sense for a PSP revision. If this was PSP2, then we would have problems.

I'm ok with the design, but it really needs a touchscreen for menu interface if they still want to promote its media features. Otherwise, there is no way to interact with the device when its closed.

Also, if there's no way to transfer umd games, I will pass. I don't need a new psp that can't play my backlog of games.

They were also playing LBP, so what? The PSP go looks terrible. The moved the analog nub so much further over with making the d-pad bigger. I also don't understand the placement of the start/select buttons. I also don't see the PS button anywhere.

[quote name='KingBroly']They were also playing LBP, so what? The PSP go looks terrible. The moved the analog nub so much further over with making the d-pad bigger. I also don't understand the placement of the start/select buttons. I also don't see the PS button anywhere.[/QUOTE]
Left hand side of the top screen.

I like it but...this is CAG after all. My purchase hinges on two things:
1. Can I play my old UMD's on this mother?
2. What's the price?

[quote name='KingBroly']They were also playing LBP, so what? The PSP go looks terrible. The moved the analog nub so much further over with making the d-pad bigger. I also don't understand the placement of the start/select buttons. I also don't see the PS button anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Gran Tourismo Portable is the most anticipated PSP release ever and was being hyped up when PSP 1000 came out. So I would say its a big deal dude. And WTF are you really using the start/select buttons for? One time a game to get past the menu?

yeah, price will be king with this. the added convenience of not needing to carry games around with and having them all ready to go in the system is nice, but it is not nice that the PSP-used game market will no longer exist. And that means PSP games better get cheaper. I don't mind paying 10 bucks or so for a PSN or XBLA game, but not going to pay 30 for a digital only PSP game

[quote name='ecmazza']yeah, price will be king with this. the added convenience of not needing to carry games around with and having them all ready to go in the system is nice, but it is not nice that the PSP-used game market will no longer exist. And that means PSP games better get cheaper. I don't mind paying 10 bucks or so for a PSN or XBLA game, but not going to pay 30 for a digital only PSP game[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's looking more and more like the PS3 slim is real and if that is the case then...well I'll be double dipping on the PS3 before I even consider buying a PSP GO. If it's less than $200 I'll throw it on the back burner. If it's less than $150 I'll just buy it.

$200 or less and I can see myself getting it. Looks nice.

Also depends on how much they charge for the games, especially since there will be no UMD's.

[quote name='smiggity']Gran Tourismo Portable is the most anticipated PSP release ever and was being hyped up when PSP 1000 came out. So I would say its a big deal dude. And WTF are you really using the start/select buttons for? One time a game to get past the menu?[/QUOTE]

I don't care about GT. The next PSP game I will buy is LBP, then Kingdom Hearts. Beyond that, I don't care.

No second analog stick? :cry:

Looks quite nice in my opinion, but I guess we will have to wait and see for more info and release dates at E3. :)

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't care about GT. The next PSP game I will buy is LBP, then Kingdom Hearts. Beyond that, I don't care.[/QUOTE]

Remember you are in the minority on that 1

The ps button is on the lower left hand side of the sliding part of the psp.

The big thing for me is is if this will have PSN support. Because I refuse to use a credit card to buy all my games, but i can just buy psn cards, and use those for psp games I will get this as long as it isent to expensive.

I see a few things that bug me.. 1) PSP 3000 is staying on the self, and I doubt we will see a price drop. So the Go with BT, and 16gb of storage is going to cost 200+. 2) No mention of what kind or if anything will be done with games you have on UMD. 3) They are doing both DL and UMDs.

I like it, but nothing stops me from DL games now. So unless I can get the Go for under 200, and have a way to play me current collection I think I will pass.

The design isn't as elegant as the 3000 series for starters. I haven't yet heard one complaint about Sony shrinking the screen a half-inch (3.8 vs. 4.3). The sliding control pad is uninspiring if there's no touch screen controls. Lack of UMD means you can't use old games... and the used game market will dry up.

I will never support download games. Dont care how good the games are. Refuse to encourage the profiteer racketing publishers are promoting. They price fix the games by eliminating the used market and making it appear the game is in high demand by keeping the games priced high and expensive. And of course they can get away with this considering they control the point of distribution and you can't get it anywhere else.

[quote name='warpedcore']The design isn't as elegant as the 3000 series for starters. I haven't yet heard one complaint about Sony shrinking the screen a half-inch (3.8 vs. 4.3). The sliding control pad is uninspiring if there's no touch screen controls. Lack of UMD means you can't use old games... and the used game market will dry up.[/QUOTE]

mabey because its a friken 1/2 an inch? Its not like they shrank it by 1/2 when people list stuff like this you know they are just searching for things to complain about.

The used game market wont dry up, considering the 3000 is still going to be selling, plus I bet we WILL se a price drop shortly after the release of the psp go, just like the lite droped by $30 after the dsi was released.

I'm sure sony will find a way to let you convert your had disks over to the go, Sony dse a pretty good job of supporting its fan base.

[quote name='kurokubushi']

The used game market wont dry up, considering the 3000 is still going to be selling, [/QUOTE]

... I think you're missing the point. Looking at what Sony is doing (and has done, with Patapon 2) it seems clear that the goal is to eliminate UMD entirely. My guess is that if Patapon 2 was enough of a success, we won't see any more UMD based games from Sony. So, yeah, there will still be a used PSP game market, but it won't have any NEW games, which is close enough to dead.

That's the question... if they're still selling the 3000 and PSPGo!, are they going all digital distribution or not? It would make sense, as BOTH systems could use the DD games, but only ONE uses UMDs.

Like many, I'm not anywhere near sold on this thing, but the answer to the 'what about my already sizable UMD collection?' question will play a BIG role. The answer better not be "well, then you can buy a PSP3000!" (which is worrying, since that sounds eerily similar to the answer Sony had when the PS3 stopped being backwards compatible).

[quote name='kurokubushi']
The used game market wont dry up, considering the 3000 is still going to be selling, plus I bet we WILL se a price drop shortly after the release of the psp go, just like the lite droped by $30 after the dsi was released. [/QUOTE]

The DS Lite has been 129.99 since its launch in 2006.

[quote name='kurokubushi']I'm sure sony will find a way to let you convert your had disks over to the go, Sony dse a pretty good job of supporting its fan base.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it, in the video he kept talking about a digital and download strategy. Sony is going to try to ride both trains at first. If anything its the publishers who will make the push to go full download and no UMDs because of cost. Best case Sony says OK any game you have you can get the DL for 5 bucks, but how do you prove what games you own?

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']
I will never support download games. Dont care how good the games are. Refuse to encourage the profiteer racketing publishers are promoting. They price fix the games by eliminating the used market and making it appear the game is in high demand by keeping the games priced high and expensive. And of course they can get away with this considering they control the point of distribution and you can't get it anywhere else. [/QUOTE]

It works for Apple, Steam, XBLA, and PSN. All have games go on sales all the time, and you cant "hide" sales if something isnt selling it just not selling. So you have Publisher A who wants to sell a game at 29.99, but no one buys it they are just going to keep it at that price and not cut it? Thing is this is the future just like with music, movies, Video Games are all going online distrbution.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I will never support download games. Dont care how good the games are. Refuse to encourage the profiteer racketing publishers are promoting. They price fix the games by eliminating the used market and making it appear the game is in high demand by keeping the games priced high and expensive. And of course they can get away with this considering they control the point of distribution and you can't get it anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Too bad you will be missing out all the great games on XBLA, PSN, and Virtual console. Actually Steam got sales all the time, probably more deals than most B&M stores.

Okay, my take on the product.

I would really like to know the battery life of the PSP Go. I've been told that one of the reason the PSP3k and older models were known to have sub-par battery life due to the huge colored screen and a rotor-driven UMD drive. Now, we still have the same sizable screen (but whether or not it's bigger/better/more energy efficient is still up in the air), but they nixed the UMD drive and replaced it with a (hopefully togglable) Bluetooth connectivity.

Also, what's the Price? $200 to match the current PSP sounds really reasonable (with the current PSP going down in pricepoint), but again, the expectation is there for Go to be around the $250 pricepoint, which is a mistake when you compare that price with the DSi, iPhone/iPod Touch, or even the price of a home console.

I don't care for the Go revolving around a digital distribution system, since it's apparent there is a real market for those kind of things, and we have examples in the wild of such a economy being grossly succesful and profitable. But, we need to see the expected range of prices for the Digitial products. Seeing Patapon 2 hitting the e-shelves at $20 seems to be a good indication that the future of e-shelf pricing on retail games will be reasonable (though I haven't played the game myself).

Also, I think Sony is drawing a bit of inspiration from the Apple App store in regards to games. Small, bite-sized games ranging from $1-$10 sells pretty well in the App Store, and currently going through a Stick-War addiction, I could see Sony going towards the simplicistic micro-portable games model.

Now, I would really want better flash support, especially flash video, but we'll see if that can come to fruition this time around, or would I need to wait a bit longer or should I stick to my Touch?

As for a current owner of a PSP3k, "me no buy", and unless they become ridiculously cheap, I don't intend of ever "upgrading".

[quote name='Kfoster1979']The DS Lite has been 129.99 since launch in 2009.

Doubt it, in the video he kept talking about a digital and download strategy. Sony is going to try to ride both trains at first. If anything its the publishers who will make the push to go full download and no UMDs because of cost. Best case Sony says OK any game you have you can get the DL for 5 bucks, but how do you prove what games you own?

It works for Apple, Steam, XBLA, and PSN. All have games go on sales all the time, and you cant "hide" sales if something isnt selling it just not selling. So you have Publisher A who wants to sell a game at 29.99, but no one buys it they are just going to keep it at that price and not cut it? Thing is this is the future just like with music, movies, Video Games are all going online distrbution.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they will cut it, because as long as their product has interest to sell and there is only one place to get it, then why should they drop the price at all?

There is a lot of people out there that think everytime you drop a price when there is no reason to that you are taking money out of their pocket. I see everything going to digital distribution as a sign of this attitude about to poke it's head threw malevolently.

I am SOOoo Getting this on Day 1 Because of a few reasons.

#1. I tried out a $199 DSi for $199 and it sucks so I returned it to Walmart

#2. I Almost bought a PSP 3000 but then heard about the bad screen

#3. Has OLED or great LCD screen on PSP Go games should look amazing.

I still have a $50 credit at Walmart from something else should make this thing $149.

They Absolutely can not sell it for more than $199 in todays economy it would be suicide plus its still basically a PSP, but with a new 45nm CPU

The started at 90nm then 65nm now 45nm, better speed less juice used.

And an OLED screen WOW!!

I love how Sony built in Bluetooth 2.1 into the PSP Go so you could used the PS3's Cotroller to play it WOW!!! so Hyped.

Plus with PS3 remote play you can basically PLay your PS3 games on your PSP Go anywhere you are basically making it a Portable PS3

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I don't think they will cut it, because as long as their product has interest to sell and there is only one place to get it, then why should they drop the price at all?

There is a lot of people out there that think everytime you drop a price when there is no reason to that you are taking money out of their pocket. I see everything going to digital distribution as a sign of this attitude about to poke it's head threw malevolently.[/QUOTE]

You can make the same argument for physical media. Nintendo has no reason to drop the price on Mairo Kart.

I gotten free downloads for PSN and XBLA. Do you think I will ever be able to walk in a store and walk away with a free game?

Is the Screen OLD? If so that's a big check mark in the I want one column.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I don't think they will cut it, because as long as their product has interest to sell and there is only one place to get it, then why should they drop the price at all?
There is a lot of people out there that think every time you drop a price when there is no reason to that you are taking money out of their pocket. I see everything going to digital distribution as a sign of this attitude about to poke it's head threw malevolently.[/QUOTE]

People will always get pissed about a price drop that's just the nature of retail no matter what.

What I was getting at is the price fixing, as you put it, for digital content. There are numerous models out there that show it works and consumers find value in it. Like I said above Apple and Steam both have content on sale all the time and it drives up sales. Should I be pissed that I paid 9.99 for SimCity on my iPhone and a few months later they move it to 7.99 no because I found a good value in it for 9.99. Also publishers set the prices not the content servers they just take a cut, well in apples case, so if Someone wants to sell something on the PSN for 5.00 bucks so be it, but they will only make maybe a buck per download.

[quote name='62t']You can make the same argument for physical media. Nintendo has no reason to drop the price on Mairo Kart.

I gotten free downloads for PSN and XBLA. Do you think I will ever be able to walk in a store and walk away with a free game?[/QUOTE]

No shit, This is why Nintendo First party games never go down in price (very much). I held out for Super Smash Bros for the GCN forever and got it for 24.99 at target 2 years after it came out.

YEs its OLED sony has been using OLED already in Some mp3 players, they are very energy efficient and provide very deep rich bright colors and eep deep blacks

I like the location of the nub. I am all about games on just the memory stick or built in memory. Looks great too. I just want to know what this thing feels like and the price. I would think if this thing doesn't use UMDs and has smaller parts it would use less battery life. Yes?

Imagine the possibilities when the hackers get their grubby hands on this thing :whistle2:#.

I'm hoping Sony doesn't pull another PS3 launch and price this bad boy way out of reach for most of us.

looks awesome, but I am worried about three main things:

1. Analog Stick placement (and while on the subject where is the second damn analog!)

2. Price. Often new sleek technology gadgets like this when first announced always carry a hefty price tag. Plus having 16gigs of internal memory versus the PSP-3000 1gb Entertainment pack going for $199.99, I would have to predict that the PSP Go will cost at least $229.99-$249.99.

Remember the 16gb Ipod Touch does not cost $199.99 or less, but more like $299.99.

3. Current and Future PSP UMDs. Since they mention the PSP-3000 will be available still with the PSP GO will that mean they still plan on releasing UMD games in retail stores along with PSN digital downloads? What about my current games that I own, will their be any FREE way of getting those games to be played on the new PSP Go ? How sony handles this will determine if they get my money or not.

any idea/thoughts on the battery, that is, user replaceable or not...i dont see a battery compartment...are going the way of the ipod, b/c that would make me kinda mad...for example when the battery dies would sony replace it for you, what about years from now, then what do you do???

Also any word on if people will be able to download their UMD titles to the new PSP? Cause thats the only reason I would get one, and it looks like my friend is in the same boat... and everything is pointing towards No in that respect.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Imagine the possibilities when the hackers get their grubby hands on this thing :whistle2:#.

I'm hoping Sony doesn't pull another PS3 launch and price this bad boy way out of reach for most of us.[/QUOTE]

The hackers havent done much with PSP 3000 or PS3

BT & oLED? I am betting on $250 then.
I do support DLC games but not for more than $20.

The analog stick looks way too cramped where it is for people with large hands; I wont know for sure until I get my hands on it then, reserving judgment on that issue until then.

However, if the price is excessive and I am going to have trouble getting my old catalog of PSP games on it- then it's on the fail train to nowheresville for me.

Seems I am not alone in the "it's hideous" camp. It's not banana controller bad but . . . :puke: (However, I often find myself wishing the banana controller was released- As my disdain for the DS3 grows daily).

For people who are concerned with the placement of the analogue stick, the system itself looks like it has the same dimensions of the regular PS controller -- and people seem to be just find with that. My only problem w/ the PSP analogue stick is how low it is the base; but then again, I've only played a PSP for ~30 minutes total.

pspgohirez580.jpg

I'm cautiously optimistic as I've been losing interest in the DS, honestly, and been looking for a reason to play Dissedia, Portable Ops, and Crisis Core. If this thing turns out well, then I may have just found my reason.

Given the track record of recent Sony losses they aren't like MS and can afford massive losses so this will be priced at the point with little to no loss and maybe even a slight profit.

bread's done
Back