Metroid: Other M - The CAG Thread

• Please log in to reply
776 replies to this topic

#751 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

I went back and beat the epilogue (85% item completion). I guess I'm glad I did it, to say I did. Neat to see a few more areas of the ship, and watch some more inane cutscenes.

I'm someone who loves cutscenes -- I've written/directed literally hours of them -- but some of these were just the weakest of sauce. I think a lot of it has to do with the narrative itself being poor.

Spoiler

mqqgUvv.jpg   ECqYO0a.jpg
My action/scifi novel, Still Man Fights, is available in paperback and e-book form at Amazon.com.

My new travelogue, Japan Chronicles: of Rock Gods and J-Pop Idols, is also on Amazon.com.

#752 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

I thought that scene was really good actually. It's how a cutscene in Metroid should be done. Quiet, touching, mysterious and sorta creepy,
Spoiler

And yes, the writing/storytelling is really bad, but the story elements are interesting/good if you take them as just core concepts. They're also ambiguous enough to put together crazy theories like I've done. One of which I've just put together that seems to fit REALLY well because they're so ambiguous with everything.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#753 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

Well, considering
Spoiler

#754 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

I'm going to post my game theory about this right here in a big 'ol spoiler tag. It's a long, but interesting read.

Spoiler

Now then, I'm not saying this is correct. I'm not saying it's how things are going to be, nor am I saying it's good. I'm just saying that I think it fits, and if Nintendo wanted to, could 100% use this line of thinking to get themselves out of this whole emotional predicament for her in Other M.

Any questions?
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#755 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

I'm a few rooms after beating
Spoiler
I have 20 total missiles. How many should I have at this point?

#756 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

That's enough to beat the game with since you can refill them at any time. You can't get all the items until you beat the game anyways.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#757 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

That's enough to beat the game with since you can refill them at any time. You can't get all the items until you beat the game anyways.

I think I'm going to try to get 100%, since I did it for the GBA games. How many items can you obtain up to the point of beating the game? Also, does the game give you a percentage during the game or only after you beat it?

In the Prime games, did enemies drop health/missiles like in the other Metroid games? I didn't play them extensively enough to remember.

#758 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

In the Prime games, did enemies drop health/missiles like in the other Metroid games? I didn't play them extensively enough to remember.

Yup, and charging the beam would attract them to you.

Posted Image

#759 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:00 AM

The game gives you a percentage when you
Spoiler
, and your map will tell you how many pickups are left in each area.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#760 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:03 AM

OK cool. I think I'll just play straight through on my own, get what I can, and beat the game. I'll scoop everything else up with a guide if need be after I beat the game.

#761 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

You won't need a Guide.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#762 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:17 AM

I'm stupid. Sometimes I can't figure out the simplest things, like how to get a certain missile even if it's location is on the map. Trust me, I might need to reference a guide.

#763 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:53 PM

Damn. I assume others in this thread have run into this...I'm not sure how far I am in the game...I think maybe over half way, but anyway I've been to sectors 1 > 3 > 2 > 3, and I just found out from an FAQ that...I'm stuck.

Apparently there's a glitch that if you go back and explore this one part, hours later you'll be stuck with this door that will not open.

So that sucks...going to sell it.

I'm mixed on it until I hit this. The story I really like, and the exploration works well. I hate the constant boss battles though, and don't like having to try to mix in first person missile shooting with everything else. So I'm kind of 50/50 on it, and there have been two boss battles I nearly gave up on. Thankfully at least it starts you out again right at the battle most times, but they need an easier mode...and I don't feel like constant boss battles are what Metroid is about. I'm thinking the original had basically THREE in the whole game, and this is more boss battles than anything else in the game...it's like at least one every five minutes I think.

BUT the exploration and story are really fun, so...mixed bag.

Except now I hit this game breaking bug.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#764 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:29 AM

Crap, where is that door? I remember walking into a room earlier in the game, having a cutscene, and then leaving the room. Once I left, the door locked. I haven't been able to get back in since.

#765 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:31 AM

It's hard to describe, but this FAQ is where I first found out about it:

http://db.gamefaqs.c...d_other_m_e.txt

If you search for "glitches" it takes you right to where it describes the problem.

I was actually enjoying it quite a bit until that point!

Started Epic Mickey now, which...so far seem needlessly dark, slightly iffy on the controls, and...oh well, at least I like platformers.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
[LIST]

Posted Image

#766 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

Wow...huh...I could actually send in my save file to get a corrected save file or something, I guess! :lol:

http://www.nintendo....oid-other-m.jsp

Well...I guess it's SOMETHING...they're at least acknowledging it. Actually got a response back from CS that seemed to be from a human, and explicitly talked about and acknowledged the problem, so that's cool.

For a variety of reasons though I don't think I'm going to do this.

Geez...this makes me wonder, this is the THIRD game in recent years that I've been unable to finished because of a game breaking bug, and all three have been on Nintendo platforms.

Metroid: Other M
Magical Starsign
Sigma Star Story (I think that's the name).
[LIST]

Posted Image

#767 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

Sorry to hear you hit the bug. I seemed to avoid that game breaker. I got partway through the epilogue and hit a boss that was killing me and I haven't gone back to it yet, however I really enjoyed the game up to that point and feel it was worth it. I'd be spitting out words most foul if I had, though. i'd send in the SD card save and get it fixed. I think it's worth it to be able to continue. Fun game!

#768 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

For what it's worth, it took me about 7 hours to beat the game and another 3 or so to get all the items. 100% in 10 hours isn't terribly long.

#769 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

Yikes, I'm sure I spent 15 hours or so and presumably wasn't anywhere near finishing it when I hit the bug.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#770 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

Ouch. I remember that Sigma Star bug.

Get caught in an infinite loop of battle 'cause you killed enemies in a certain order, aye?

Posted Image

#771 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Yeah! It was something like that! Pretty cool concept for a game too :-/
[LIST]

Posted Image

#772 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

And it was on, like, the second last planet or some shit, too...

Posted Image

#773 mrnomis27

mrnomis27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:16 AM

Finished the game tonight with 92% completion.

I thought it was a great game that did many things very well and I was glad to have more story behind Samus.

I wish there was more of the old school music mixed throughout the game. I plan on giving this to my nephew for Christmas...I think he'll shit his pants. Solid game.

#774 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

It's hard to describe, but this FAQ is where I first found out about it:

http://db.gamefaqs.c...d_other_m_e.txt

If you search for "glitches" it takes you right to where it describes the problem.

I was actually enjoying it quite a bit until that point!

Started Epic Mickey now, which...so far seem needlessly dark, slightly iffy on the controls, and...oh well, at least I like platformers.

I just got this game Iw ill have to look into it.

I am looking forward to playing this actually.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#775 Altanis

Altanis

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

I understand that a game-breaking glitch is a huge problem, but it's my understanding that in order to even have the glitch occur, you basically have to go backwards after beating a boss and save at some save point a room or two back, instead of going forward to the next cutscene.

I'm not saying gamebreaking bugs are okay- they aren't. It just seems to me like this one was highlighted as being this super glitch that kills the game no matter what you do, when it's only going to occur if you get save-happy.

It's my thinking that this glitch got so much press (as compared to the bugs that it seems nearly every 360 and PS3 big-name release has) that it was the nail in the coffin for the game. Whether you like or hate the game, you would likely be willing to pick it up and see what it offers and play through it. However, if you're on the fence and then hear about this game killing bug that can occur if you do something specific at a specific point in the game, you're not likely to buy the game.

I think though that this will lead to the next Metroid game being either REALLY good, or being the end of the series.

#776 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

The last game breaking bug I can remember running in to was in a DS game, and before that a GBA one.

Whatever I did, it wasn't especially weird...particularly in a series that emphasizes exploration.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#777 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:39 AM

In order for the glitch to happen, you get the Ice Beam, proceed to the next room, then go back to the previous room. It can happen sorta easily since there's an Accel Charge in the Ice Beam room where you need to bomb the floor to activate a Cannon to get to it. So if you do that before you leave the room, you'll be fine.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image