Photo
- - - - -

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

• Please log in to reply
3404 replies to this topic

#3001 Spoon_si

Spoon_si

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Does anyone know how to do crossfire? I'm trying to do it with a HD6670 and the HD7660D that came on the A10 Trinity CPU. On the box it says it works, but I can't seem to find the crossfire option on Catalyst Control.

make sure you have the latest drivers.

In CC, go to performance tab, it will be in one of the option.

another note, I'm note sure if these will crossfire. rebranding on old series chip... yea maybe.
Trade List: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=213284
Updated: 02-03-09

Posted Image

#3002 AdvOfJet

AdvOfJet

Brotherhood of Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

anyone have any opinions on how good this should be for gaming ? I was building a new PC for work purposes and figured I would make a few tweaks to get some gaming out of it as well.

Here are the parts I have that would affect it.

i7-3770k processor
16 GB 1600 DDR3 (2x8GB)
GTX 670 OC

I am thinking that I should be ok with it but I have not had time to get Steam installed and some games loaded to test it out. Was just curious as all my other game machines have just been factory models with a new GPU installed.
Posted Image

#3003 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

anyone have any opinions on how good this should be for gaming ? I was building a new PC for work purposes and figured I would make a few tweaks to get some gaming out of it as well.

Here are the parts I have that would affect it.

i7-3770k processor
16 GB 1600 DDR3 (2x8GB)
GTX 670 OC

I am thinking that I should be ok with it but I have not had time to get Steam installed and some games loaded to test it out. Was just curious as all my other game machines have just been factory models with a new GPU installed.

Pretty much the peak of the mid-tier gaming rig, imo.

#3004 AdvOfJet

AdvOfJet

Brotherhood of Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

Pretty much the peak of the mid-tier gaming rig, imo.

Cool thanks. Thats what I was hoping for. I'm not one to go all out with SLI or Crossfire so I was trying to look for a decent layout that would work for my work needs as well.

My actual gaming machine was using a Q6600 with an HD 5850 and 6GB so this should at least be better than that I would think. I am just not that great at comparing these types of things without actually seeing the results with my own eyes.

Hopefully I will have it up and running by this weekend so I can play around with it.
Posted Image

#3005 StickyWaffles

StickyWaffles

Us Kids Know!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

No, but your better off buying from avadirect or some company that offers similar services. At least you can upgrade or customize from the get go if you're not comfortable building your own PC.

Took your advice into consideration, and ordered a computer from ibuypower.com. Hoping an i5-3570 and 7870 video card work on the 500 Watt power supply I got since I'm not overclocking. It comes with decent cooling and a bigger case, so those concerns are gone for me now.

Made a mistake ordering though, as I went with one of the few promotions with free shipping (usually $75) Special-A, but the price is jacked up enough so that their Elite 8 promotion is better by about $100 for the exact same build, even with having to pay for shipping for the latter. Most frustrating is Windows 8 costing $104 on my order (so I went with no OS on my order), but $60 for every other build, including the Elite 8. Sent an email to try to change to the Elite 8 promotion, we'll see how it goes. If I can get this corrected, it'll be $900 for a decent setup. Not a great deal, but convenient, as long as they manage to get it to me within the next few weeks, which I hear can be a problem.

Edited by StickyWaffles, 26 March 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#3006 kaos424

kaos424

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

How long do you guys think I can get away with using my current setup of Intel Quad Core 2.4ghz, 8GB ddr2 ram, and GTX 550ti video card before I can't play new games coming out at an acceptable level?

#3007 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

All depends on the Devs. Everything we say would be a complete guess in the wind.

I would say another 2-4yrs.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#3008 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

building my first PC with my tax refund. sick of gaming on a laptop i can't upgrade that i constantly keep plugged into my TV anyway. i'm very new to this and will be doing it myself. thoughts? anything i'm missing? tyia

http://amzn.com/w/DW06V4EG2TJM

btw- already ordered a 3rd party CPU fan and dvd drive

Hand__Of__God.png

#3009 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

building my first PC with my tax refund. sick of gaming on a laptop i can't upgrade that i constantly keep plugged into my TV anyway. i'm very new to this and will be doing it myself. thoughts? anything i'm missing? tyia

Choose a better power supply. That 380 watt PSU will not effectively power everything you are throwing in there. Remember it powers everything in your system, so don't overlook it's importance. The recommended minimum with a GTX 660 Ti I think is like 450 watts. I'd use a least a decent quality 500-550 watt PSU just to be safe and you'd have a little extra power so if you add-on at some point you will not necessarily have to upgrade the PSU again. Plus, at least in my experiences, Antec PSUs are very good quality but kinda loud for my tastes (of course the Obsidian is sound dampening case I think so that may not matter at all).

Also unless you are using it purely for data I would also avoid the WD Green drives. They are good at conserving power, but sometimes too good I guess. They can occasionally be a bit slow or problematic when doing things like gaming or HD video playback, etc.

#3010 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Choose a better power supply. That 380 watt PSU will not effectively power everything you are throwing in there. Remember it powers everything in your system, so don't overlook it's importance. The recommended minimum with a GTX 660 Ti I think is like 450 watts. I'd use a least a decent quality 500-550 watt PSU just to be safe and you'd have a little extra power so if you add-on at some point you will not necessarily have to upgrade the PSU again. Plus, at least in my experiences, Antec PSUs are very good quality but kinda loud for my tastes (of course the Obsidian is sound dampening case I think so that may not matter at all).

Also unless you are using it purely for data I would also avoid the WD Green drives. They are good at conserving power, but sometimes too good I guess. They can occasionally be a bit slow or problematic when doing things like gaming or HD video playback, etc.

thank you my man

i was just about ready to order this stuff.... i changed a few things, look better now?

Hand__Of__God.png

#3011 Mid Boss

Mid Boss

Live Free or Don't

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'd suggest swapping out the video card for a AMD 7950: http://www.amazon.co...ywords=amd 7950

It's comparable in price and performance to the GTX 660, but you also get download codes for Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite.

#3012 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'd suggest swapping out the video card for a AMD 7950: http://www.amazon.co...ywords=amd 7950

It's comparable in price and performance to the GTX 660, but you also get download codes for Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite.

i've heard so many bad things about AMD

Hand__Of__God.png

#3013 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

hierarchy shows it a couple rungs up and comparable with the 670
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#3014 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

Do you 1) run Linux? 2) use graphics cards to do lots of scientific processing?

If you answer yes to either, get the 660. Otherwise, the 7950 is a better deal.

#3015 Mid Boss

Mid Boss

Live Free or Don't

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

i've heard so many bad things about AMD

What have you heard? Their GPUs are fine, it's only their CPUs that have lagged behind. The drivers for the Radeons used to be pretty bad, but that hasn't been true for years.

hierarchy shows it a couple rungs up and comparable with the 670

I guess it depends what sites you check. I've been going by benchmarks over at Anandtech where it seems like they trade blows: http://www.anandtech...duct/550?vs=647

#3016 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

1) If the WD black is going to be used for games/music/videos, get a Seagate Barracuda instead. If the WD is going to be used for OS, stay with that.
2) The samsung 840s aren't very good so go with either the 830 or the 840 pro.
3) The i7-3770k is about $100 cheaper at Microcenter. (if you have one near you)
4) I can't speak for Gigabytes customer service but XFX's CS is extremely well known for warranty support.

For a first build, this looks extremely nice.

#3017 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

Yeah I second the MC suggestion. You do have one close according to your location. That is the place to get your mobo and cpu.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139020

I would probably get that PSU over the one you got. It is cheaper and it is a better brand. That said, if you plan on going SLI in the future, you might as well just spend the extra 40 and get an 850 watt PSU.

Also, the 7950 is a good deal, but it only is comparable to the 670 if you are going to overclock. With that said, price/performance wise it still is a much better deal. The drivers have gotten much better over this generations life cycle.

Posted Image

#3018 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

after some research i think i am gonna go with the AMD

and i've never heard of them but the only microcenter in NJ is like 15 mins from me, gonna check it out this week. thanks for the help fellas. much appreciated. will consider that corsair PSU since it's cheaper on amazon as well.

btw if anyone is wondering why i used amazon and not newegg it's because amazon is still tax free here.

Hand__Of__God.png

#3019 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:58 AM

That tax will save you tons. That's why I use NewEgg. Tax free.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#3020 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

Oh and depending on the CPU heatsink that you bought earlier, I'd add a tube of thermal compound. Some heatsinks include a decent quality compound, but if not the world's best heatsink will have little to no effect if you don't have a thermal compound to apply. Some Arctic Silver should do the trick quite nicely.

#3021 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

A 2tb Seagate Barracuda will run you ~$100 at micro center. If you can, look at the case in micro center to determine if you like the look of it.

#3022 imamanwithaplan

imamanwithaplan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

I was gonna order this today. Never built a Pc before so how does this look? (All items are from tigerdirect)
Spoiler

#3023 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I would personally swap the hdd and case.

518793.png

#3024 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

I would personally swap the hdd and case.

Escpecially the case.

#3025 imamanwithaplan

imamanwithaplan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

For any reason in particular? Any cheap suggestions for an alternative? Also, any power supply suggestions?
Posted Image

#3026 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

What do you guys think of the mini Shuttle barebones systems? I was thinking of setting one up next to my TV to play retro games.
Posted Image

#3027 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

For any reason in particular? Any cheap suggestions for an alternative? Also, any power supply suggestions?

Don't go cheap on the case, and hdd. That's my personal opinion. Do you have a budget your trying to stay within?

518793.png

#3028 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

I was gonna order this today. Never built a Pc before so how does this look? (All items are from tigerdirect)

Spoiler

You are paying MSRP on too many of those items. Unless you are getting Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3 free with your 7950 thats not a good deal.
Same for your CPU and probably most of your parts. Overall I think you have a good selection of parts but I think you could do better on pricing if you looked around. Buying stuff all from one site is only good if you are putting it on a credit account with that site.

Also unless you are pirating Windows you are going to need to purchase it unless you already have a copy for some reason. So dont forget to factor that into your cost.

If I may ask what state do you live in? I am asking for sales tax and retail store reasons.
Posted Image

#3029 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

My Cooler Master eXtreme works well and it was cheap. You wouldn't want to put a diamond ring in the crayon box, would you? Same concept.

#3030 imamanwithaplan

imamanwithaplan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:19 AM

Yeah, there's $50 in mail in rebates and I got it all from tiger direct so that I wouldn't have to pay sales tax (in in California so most sites charge it). Also comes with bio shock and crysis 3 and I've got a legit copy of windows 8. Thanks for all the advice! Think I'm gonna get everything here and upgrade to a better case asap