Photo
- - - - -

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

• Please log in to reply
3427 replies to this topic

#3211 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

Value is AMD. Performance is Intel, but I think value is slowly starting to go to Intel. The i7 4770 on stock clocks is just a little bit below my 6 core i7 970 in terms of multi thread performance. Mind you my 970 was $1000+ when it hit the market, and the 4770 is I think $400-$500. If you going high rez I wouldn't drop below 2-3GB. I haven't looked at the latest on all the GPUs just so I'm tempted not to buy one. If you get anything 670 and higher I think your good to go. I can't speak on Radeon because I've only ever used Nvidia, but the GPU race is heating up so anything is game. I bought my original SSD at 160GB, and filled it quite fast. It is my boot drive and holds all my game programs. For me personally I'm never going to get anything less then a 400-500GB SSD. One reason for that is so I can partition more of it off to make it last a lot longer. I think a storage drive is much less of a concern then your main drive. I've only got 1 2TB drive in mine. No where near full. I would base everything on the size of the files you have right now and go from there. Also if it is work that you must save and keep track of you might a 1TB raid where it is mirrored across all drives( I forget the number )

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#3212 spiderman4657

spiderman4657

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:50 AM

I have got a couple parts already I am just waiting on a mobo/ram deal or mobo/cpu deal plus I still need my aftermarket cooler and hard drive.

#3213 TastyPorkBone

TastyPorkBone

How Could You Not Like Bacon !?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

Yes, I would also agree Intel being the go to processor if you have the $$. I had only used Intel unless recently when I had to build a spare PC for my guest for lan parties and such. I used a FX-6300 and it is honestly not that bad of a processor...its no top of the line i5 or i7 but it does hold its ground...especially for the asking price.

w7c9.png

#3214 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

So I built a budget build PC back in 2010:

AMD Athlon ii X4 3.0GHZ, 5770 GPU, 4GB GSkill Ram, Biostar mATX A880G, Cooler Master 341, 520W Seasonic Power Supply

The thing is I've been regretting that I didn't go ITX as I'd prefer to have a smaller computer. Anyway I've been looking at these AMD Richland APUs and have thought about building a small ITX build with that.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819113331

Now the thing I'm wondering is with the stock APU being pretty strong graphically  would I be able to ditch the 5770 on ebay and get similar performance?

I'm not really looking into an upgrade per say as I'm not sure I'm going to be computer gaming much longer (haven't bought anything on Steam in awhile). I would though like to at least be able to play my current library.

Also I'm looking at a mini-itx case like this but if I'm going apu only would I be able to go smaller?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811163231

It just seems like PC Cases haven't really caught up in the size area to say a mac mini. I realize were talking apples and oranges but even if I could build something in between a mac mini and the sg05 case I'd be happy.

There is also talk of the mac minis possibly getting a suped up version of the Intel Iris Pro. What would fair better that or the AMD APU? AMD seems to be leading on that front. Also just curious is any company doing pre-builts with these APUs? I see Maingear is but not crazy about the Potenza case.

#3215 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

from what I searched really quick the gpu on that A10 is really similar to the gpu you have now. seems to be more a sidegrade then an upgrade.

As far as cases go I'm no help. I love bigger cases just because it's easier to work in with my not so small hands.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#3216 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

from what I searched really quick the gpu on that A10 is really similar to the gpu you have now. seems to be more a sidegrade then an upgrade.

Yeah I'm currently looking just to go smaller. It makes me wonder though if I should just wait another year or two to make a transition to mini-itx worthwhile. I guess my thought process was I could always throw in a better card if I felt the need.

#3217 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

I would just crossfire the gpu+apu.

518793.png

#3218 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

I would just crossfire the gpu+apu.

Don't think they can be, unfortunately.

#3219 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

down the line I'm saying if you decide to get a gpu to match the one inside the apu

518793.png

#3220 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

down the line I'm saying if you decide to get a gpu to match the one inside the apu

Word.

#3221 TastyPorkBone

TastyPorkBone

How Could You Not Like Bacon !?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

Jkam, I am selling an extra Sapphire 5770 that you could purchase for a crossfire setup. 

w7c9.png

#3222 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

Jkam, what resolution do you intend to play at? The A10-6800k or 5800k should be fine for 720p or even 1600x900 if you had 2133mhz ram.

#3223 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

Jkam, what resolution do you intend to play at? The A10-6800k or 5800k should be fine for 720p or even 1600x900 if you had 2133mhz ram.

Well now I'm kind of backpedaling again. I used to have a smaller monitor that only did 1440x900 but now I'm using a Sony Monitor which does 1080p. It seems kind of silly for me to spend the money to make a parallel jump only to get a smaller mini-itx case. Not to mention although older my 5770 would probably perform a bit better than the A10-6800k APU.

I guess it kind of makes more sense to either build a mini-itx system with a card or just hold on to what I have until it makes sense to buy an APU. I here the upcoming Kaveri from AMD hitting in early 2014 should be another jump.

I've actually been thinking that maybe I should just stick with what I have which I could always upgrade down the road if I feel like it.

I think part of it is I want a small system (mac mini - intel nuc) in size with some real graphics power. Although it seems some strides have been made with crazy laptops like the Razor Blade no one is really pushing anything close in the desktop space probably because if you are a PC gamer you want the biggest baddest. Let's be honest too a small gaming desktop would be a niche of a niche product with probably not a lot of market.

I wish AMD would make it's own little box similar to the NUC. Even if it was 2 or 3 Mac Minis on top of one another in size with like an A-10 I think it would be exciting since PC case design hasn't really shrunk enough. I'm guessing with all gaming heat would be the issue although the Intel 5200 Iris Pro might be a better solution for something small since it uses less power. I kind of want to see the next round of mac minis and intel nucs which will be hitting anywhere from late 2013 to early 2014 to see what kind of graphics they use.

I'm being unrealistic at this point....but honestly if I could find something small and play my STEAM library as it is today I'd probably be set.

#3224 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Well now I'm kind of backpedaling again. I used to have a smaller monitor that only did 1440x900 but now I'm using a Sony Monitor which does 1080p. It seems kind of silly for me to spend the money to make a parallel jump only to get a smaller mini-itx case. Not to mention although older my 5770 would probably perform a bit better than the A10-6800k APU.

I guess it kind of makes more sense to either build a mini-itx system with a card or just hold on to what I have until it makes sense to buy an APU. I here the upcoming Kaveri from AMD hitting in early 2014 should be another jump.

I've actually been thinking that maybe I should just stick with what I have which I could always upgrade down the road if I feel like it.

I think part of it is I want a small system (mac mini - intel nuc) in size with some real graphics power. Although it seems some strides have been made with crazy laptops like the Razor Blade no one is really pushing anything close in the desktop space probably because if you are a PC gamer you want the biggest baddest. Let's be honest too a small gaming desktop would be a niche of a niche product with probably not a lot of market.

I wish AMD would make it's own little box similar to the NUC. Even if it was 2 or 3 Mac Minis on top of one another in size with like an A-10 I think it would be exciting since PC case design hasn't really shrunk enough. I'm guessing with all gaming heat would be the issue although the Intel 5200 Iris Pro might be a better solution for something small since it uses less power. I kind of want to see the next round of mac minis and intel nucs which will be hitting anywhere from late 2013 to early 2014 to see what kind of graphics they use.

I'm being unrealistic at this point....but honestly if I could find something small and play my STEAM library as it is today I'd probably be set.

I don't want to be rude but why are you bent on the mac mini size? Mac minis are small because most of the parts are made for a laptop form factor.

The closest you could get to that size in mini-ITX is one of those cramped shuttle cases.

#3225 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

I don't want to be rude but why are you bent on the mac mini size? Mac minis are small because most of the parts are made for a laptop form factor.

The closest you could get to that size in mini-ITX is one of those cramped shuttle cases.

You aren't being rude. I don't know I think I've been on a "less is more" kick lately. Finally ripping the last of my CD Collection boxing them up to put them away, clearing out older stuff I no longer need, and just removing the excess clutter. I realize the mac mini is made from laptop parts and my computer is probably something silly I feel the need to downsize but I think I'm also at a crossroads if I should stick with PC gaming because I don't find myself sitting at the computer desk to play a game as much. I've been playing more on console. Not that my STEAM library is huge but I wouldn't mind firing up a game if I feel like it though.

It probably also started a bit when I saw this case:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811163208

Even though the case is small you can get a decent graphics card in there. I think part of it was when I built my current rig I really wanted to go Mini-ITX instead of ATX but people talked me out of it. Live and learn.

#3226 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

You aren't being rude. I don't know I think I've been on a "less is more" kick lately. Finally ripping the last of my CD Collection boxing them up to put them away, clearing out older stuff I no longer need, and just removing the excess clutter. I realize the mac mini is made from laptop parts and my computer is probably something silly I feel the need to downsize but I think I'm also at a crossroads if I should stick with PC gaming because I don't find myself sitting at the computer desk to play a game as much. I've been playing more on console. Not that my STEAM library is huge but I wouldn't mind firing up a game if I feel like it though.

It probably also started a bit when I saw this case:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811163208

Even though the case is small you can get a decent graphics card in there. I think part of it was when I built my current rig I really wanted to go Mini-ITX instead of ATX but people talked me out of it. Live and learn.

I know exactly how you feel about PC gaming. Personally, I wanted to go mITX but people talked me into going ATX instead.

IMO you should wait a year or two until APUs can truly game. In the meantime, you should save and when the time comes, build with a capable APU so that you have a daily driver and something that could play games without breaking the bank.

#3227 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

I know exactly how you feel about PC gaming. Personally, I wanted to go mITX but people talked me into going ATX instead.

IMO you should wait a year or two until APUs can truly game. In the meantime, you should save and when the time comes, build with a capable APU so that you have a daily driver and something that could play games without breaking the bank.

Yeah I think you are right, I think I'll wait it out a little while longer.

#3228 tokyostomp

tokyostomp

E3 @tokyostomp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

one of you guys in socal should donate/sell me a cheaper system. i'm not looking for the greatest specs but something I can run indies like thomas was alone and what not. I can barely play this game on my current rig, lol

#3229 Ryukahn

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

So I am looking to build a PC for the first time, and I would be grateful for any input that could be provided.  It will be what I do most of my gaming on.  The total cost is about what I am willing to spend, though I could add a little to it if deemed necessary.

Case http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811144277

DVD Drive http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827135305

Graphics Card http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127699

Power Supply http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151108

Memory http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231489

Motherboard http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130693

Processor http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116900

Hard drive http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236339

SSD http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820147192

I believe that is everything.  Thanks again

#3230 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

What rez are you gaming at?

If all your doing is gaming you could put less into the CPU, and put a little more into the GPU.

518793.png

#3231 Ryukahn

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

1920x1080 screen resolution

It's mainly for gaming, though it will also be used for some physics simulation software

#3232 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Can I reuse my old 550VX PSU from my last build if I want to get the Haswell i5 or i7 with a 7970?  I've been out of the game too long, so I don't know what's what anymore.  I'm also trying to save some money in the new build.  Here's a link to the PSU:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139004

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#3233 StickyWaffles

StickyWaffles

Us Kids Know!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

Can I reuse my old 550VX PSU from my last build if I want to get the Haswell i5 or i7 with a 7970?  I've been out of the game too long, so I don't know what's what anymore.  I'm also trying to save some money in the new build.  Here's a link to the PSU:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139004

550W is definitely okay, as long as you're not overclocking. I have a 500W power supply with a Core i5 4570 and a GTX 770, and it's nowhere close to being a problem.

And to Ryukahn, definitely get a cheaper processor. Unless you're building a supercomputer, the Core i5 is very powerful, and can run any game maxed out when paired with a strong graphics card. Here's a link to a $200 deal for the Core i5 4670k:

http://slickdeals.ne...sktop-processor

And I highly recommend getting the GTX 760 for your graphics card for $250, it's nVidia's best value right now, especially for gaming at 1080p.

I also went with a 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD for $150, and it's blazing fast, I don't believe there is much noticeable difference in everyday use between it and the Pro version, although the benchmarks are nice. I was close to going with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive but ended up doing this, and don't regret it one bit. This one comes down to personal preference though.

#3234 Ryukahn

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the replies about my build.  I am a little shocked at the recommendations to get an i5 instead of an i7, though it does save me ~$100.

As for the SSD, I don't think I could squeeze all of the files I have to fit into a 250GB SSD, which is why I went with the smaller one along with the 1TB HDD.  I would get an even smaller SSD since it would mainly be just for the OS, but the price was so close I figured I could toss a game or two on the SSD as well for just a few $$ more.

#3235 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:13 AM

I'm going to upgrade my monitor in a few days and have it narrowed down to two.  I'm going to hook up my Xbox One and my PS4 to this monitor in all likelihood, and obviously play lots of high-end pc games on it as well.  Anyone have any thoughts on these two, I'm leaning towards the BenQ a little over the Asus but I haven't made up my mind entirely yet.

Asus - http://www.newegg.co...-24236313-L012B

BenQ - http://www.newegg.co...#scrollFullInfo

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3236 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

Have you taken a look at some of the High Rez Korean monitors?

518793.png

#3237 StickyWaffles

StickyWaffles

Us Kids Know!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for the replies about my build. I am a little shocked at the recommendations to get an i5 instead of an i7, though it does save me ~$100.

As for the SSD, I don't think I could squeeze all of the files I have to fit into a 250GB SSD, which is why I went with the smaller one along with the 1TB HDD. I would get an even smaller SSD since it would mainly be just for the OS, but the price was so close I figured I could toss a game or two on the SSD as well for just a few $$ more.

Yeah, definitely depends on what you're doing. I stream tv shows/movies with Netflix, and listen to all my music with Spotify, so I don't need as much space as others. My point is mainly that you don't necessarily need to get a super high end SSD, when a much cheaper one will serve your needs. Read speeds on low end SSDs are very good for the most part, it's the write speeds where the performance gap is. So if you're going to be playing games, you might be better off buying a larger capacity drive for the same price, so you can enjoy shorter load times and such with more games.

I just looked at some of your other parts like power supply and RAM, and you're going slightly overboard with those parts for this build as well.

logicalincrements.com suggests sticking with 8GB of memory for anything short of dual 7970 GE/GTX 770. And if you're not planning on overclocking, a 500-550W power supply is more than enough, and there are plenty of good ones for $30-50.

You can easily build a powerful, balanced gaming PC for $850, that easily maxes out every game (except for maybe Crysis 3) at 1080p. $750 if you spend a week checking slickdeals.net for components, and do rebates.

This is an example of how I dished out money on each part a month or two ago, mostly from newegg (no tax) with a couple things from microcenter. AR is after rebate.

Case: $20 AR (Corsair 200R, not flashy, but looks nice)
CPU: $160 (Core i5 4570 at microcenter, plus tax, so $175)
GPU: $400 (had $330 in gift cards for Dell.com, so splurged on a GTX 770)
PSU: $20 AR (500W 80 Plus Bronze CoolerMaster)
RAM: $40 (2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport)
SSD: $150 (250GB Samsung 840)
DVD Drive: $15 (MC mistakenly gave me a LG Bluray writer instead, still haven't used it for anything besides installing OS)
Motherboard: $85 (ASRock Pro3, has been fantastic)

So, replace the 770 with a 760, and I think it's a good $750 build (assuming you don't need to buy a new OS, luckily I didn't have to). No overclocking with the cheaper processor, motherboard, and power supply, but it's plenty powerful, and saves $100-150.

#3238 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Have you taken a look at some of the High Rez Korean monitors?

I haven't too much....should I be?  Do you have any specific models in mind?

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3239 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

I haven't too much....should I be? Do you have any specific models in mind?

Star X I believe it's called is made by Samsung. Monoprice has one. I'll have to search and see if I can find the other names.

518793.png

#3240 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thanks StickyWaffles for the feedback. And thanks for posting your rig components. I'm debating between the 4570 and the 4670k, but does microcenter bundle the 4570 too? Otherwise, the 4670k comes out cheaper I think.

Now I have to look for a short length video card to fit my case.

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif