Photo
- - - - -

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

• Please log in to reply
3427 replies to this topic

#3301 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

I'm starting to look into assembling some tiny computers. Does anyone have experience working with Mini-ATX form factor motherboards? I'm kind of prepping for SteamOS, and also considering a re-build for my current Linux box. (Ubuntu) So we're talking moderate power at best, I'm not going to need these tiny boxes to scream.

Do you mean mini ITX?  I built a microATX, but when I was researching my build I looked at mini-ITX builds and they didn't seem any more difficult to build aside from cable management and making everything fit.

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#3302 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

Do you mean mini ITX?  I built a microATX, but when I was researching my build I looked at mini-ITX builds and they didn't seem any more difficult to build aside from cable management and making everything fit.

Yes, I meant mini ITX. I have two cases that would work with this form factor. I was really looking for recommendations on brands and features.

While I think it would be a good space-saving idea to have the wireless adapter built into the motherboard, this generally increases the cost of the board. I also have a spare wireless adapter that might work fine with a new box. (and USB wireless adapters aren't very expensive these days)

For the GPU, I was thinking of compromising on a 3D card that better optimizes space. I won't ever need SLI for a mini itx box, so a larger card probably isn't necessary.

#3303 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

Yes, I meant mini ITX. I have two cases that would work with this form factor. I was really looking for recommendations on brands and features.

While I think it would be a good space-saving idea to have the wireless adapter built into the motherboard, this generally increases the cost of the board. I also have a spare wireless adapter that might work fine with a new box. (and USB wireless adapters aren't very expensive these days)

For the GPU, I was thinking of compromising on a 3D card that better optimizes space. I won't ever need SLI for a mini itx box, so a larger card probably isn't necessary.

Go with a Asus mini card for the GPU. Like the 760.

I don't own one but these Bitfenix Prodigy's are very well received.

#3304 Nekopanchi2012

Nekopanchi2012

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

I bought some cheap dust filters, and of course they block nearly all of the air coming from my case fans. :/ Anyone know of some good ones? or materials for filtering? Not really that important just asking.

#3305 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Anyone know if GPU's (or other components for that matter) tend to go on sale during Black Friday?  Going to be building a new system in the next few weeks and sort of holding off on buying stuff.

#3306 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

Anyone know if GPU's (or other components for that matter) tend to go on sale during Black Friday?  Going to be building a new system in the next few weeks and sort of holding off on buying stuff.

Newegg usually runs something for Black Friday... but I have no idea what it will be.

#3307 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Your best bet for a GPU is probably one of the cheap 7950/7970's on Newegg.

#3308 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Go with a Asus mini card for the GPU. Like the 760.

I don't own one but these Bitfenix Prodigy's are very well received.

I had actually already picked up a BitFenix Prodigy box as part of an Amazon sale. It's one of the reasons I was looking for a mini-ITX solution in the first place.

I ended up going after some decent Fry's sales, and put together the new Ubuntu box over the weekend. It was a bit more expensive than I had been planning, but I'm quite pleased with the final product.

I went with a Pentium 2120 for the CPU, an MSI motherboard, and an MSI GT 640 Nvidia GPU. (2 GB RAM) Since this wasn't primarily focused on being a gaming rig, I was able to compromise on the GPU and got one that fit in the box a lot better. I also got a Corsair Hydro 80 liquid CPU cooler. It's a bit of a pain to install and set up. But the noise reduction is quite pronounced. My Ubuntu box is the one computer in my house that I tend to just leave running. Cutting down on the power consumption and ambient noise was a major point of upgrading the box. (and going with the mini-ITX configuration)

I also dropped a 1 Terabyte laptop drive in the box. It is also pretty quiet, and plays well with the BitFenix case. The whole thing is very slick, and is running really well. Very pleased so far.

#3309 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Damn man, if I had known that you were going for that level of GPU, I would have given you a good price on my old GTX 650.

#3310 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Damn man, if I had known that you were going for that level of GPU, I would have given you a good price on my old GTX 650.

It's cool, I got it on sale. It also had to be an NVidia. NVidia generally tends to do better on drivers for Linux than AMD/Radeon. And this was always going to be a Linux box.

The Windows 7 machine that I built earlier in the year and use as my primary gaming rig is sporting dual GTX 660s in SLI mode. That's where I went for a bit more rendering performance. (though I still compromised a bit for the sake of value)

#3311 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:43 AM

So I'm zeroing in on a build dependent on what AMD possibly adds to their bundle for 280x cards.  That said I know almost zero about tech and have been relying on internet advice.  Given an AMD 280x GPU and an Intel 4670 CPU (I have no interest in over clocking) what would be a good (and most 'cost efficient/cheap') Gigabyte brand mother board to compliment those?  $120ish or lower would be ideal.  Thing is since I'm so tech illiterate I'm bringing some guts into a local store to have them flesh it out and assemble it but I want to bring in the main parts so they can't push some overpriced components that I don't need on me.  With the big three taken care I know enough about PSU requirements and quality, storage, etc. so the rest will be easy.

#3312 Fanboygamer

Fanboygamer

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:26 AM

Hmmm personally I would grab the 4670k and a $120 z-board with all the future consoles around the the corner I would like a little headroom to do a mild OC, maybe 4.2-4.5 depending in the silicon. Nvidia just lowered the prices on all their cards I've seen a gtx760@$209.99 and amd just released the R series so all their old cards have been on sale recently 7950's@179.99-$200 and 7970's@$250ish. Also depends on what type of monitor, how many monitors and how many frames per second your looking for. All the cards I have listed can beast just about any game 1080p on ultra at 60fps but can't handle 1440p at the same fps.

#3313 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

Wow, where have you seen 760's for $200ish and 7970's for $250ish?  I'm definitely looking in the wrong places.

#3314 Fanboygamer

Fanboygamer

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

Wow, where have you seen 760's for $200ish and 7970's for $250ish? I'm definitely looking in the wrong places.

http://www.amazon.co..._=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

Check here daily for PC deals

#3315 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

Much appreciated.

#3316 Nekopanchi2012

Nekopanchi2012

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

I got a second 770. The gigabyte one is 340 after shipping on Newegg. I just hope it fits in my case :(

EDIT: The Asus 2GB 770 is now $340 as well :(. looks like i may be returning my gigabyte one.

#3317 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:59 AM

Newegg is offering a $25 off $250+ purchase that runs until midnight Pacific today (Nov 1st):http://promotions.ne...5136/index.html

I'd jump on that if their stock of AMD 280x were a bit more substantial... also sort of waiting to see if they expand/include the Never Settle bundle.  I'm sure the promo will come up again, they had one a week ago.

#3318 Fanboygamer

Fanboygamer

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

I'm waiting for the update and hopeful that they bundle bf4 with a 280x kinda like the 290x.

#3319 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

I have a curious question because, while I'm pretty knowledgeable about computers and components, I just really don't know how much it matters in this day and age with multi-core processors and whatnot...

But how is gained or not gained in having a good dedicated sound card in a modern computer? I know back in the day a good sound card could actually increase FPS because it took stress off of the CPU... but that was single core days... A long time ago.

It likely doesn't matter... I really think I'm going to have to get one for a optical out as I have a gaming headset I want to use in a couple areas of the house but I'm curious if I would get any other gains out of it...

Also is there any sound cards with decent prices people recommend...? Back in the day it was Creative Labs or nothing... but some of the recent Creative Labs cards I've looked at reviews for haven't been all that glowing...

#3320 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

In this day and age, the hardware necessary for audio processing is usually built into the motherboard. This usually eliminates the need for an additional sound card. Even mid-tier motherboards usually come with support for full surround sound these days.

A dedicated sound card will provide you with a superior audio experience. But it won't really affect the performance of how your PC runs. If you are getting a dedicated sound card, it is because you are an audiophile who craves the absolute best in PC audio. The average PC gamer is never going to know the difference.

I haven't installed a separate in sound card in a really long time. But I'm also not too particular about the quality of my audio. My surround sound system is in my living room, not my office.

#3321 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

I haven't installed a separate in sound card in a really long time. But I'm also not too particular about the quality of my audio.

Ditto. My ears just aren't that good...  Too many airplanes landing on my head in my Navy days.

And silly me...  I just got to looking at the back of my motherboard and I do have an optical out.  I never would have thought I had one considering the age.  (about 3 and half years old now...  And all do for a replacement.)

#3322 dcm1602

dcm1602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

Anyone have any opinions on the 290 vs 290x ?

Been trying to help a buddy build a new rig, last thing he needs is the GPU

#3323 Nekopanchi2012

Nekopanchi2012

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:52 AM

The reference designs

Anyone have any opinions on the 290 vs 290x ?

Been trying to help a buddy build a new rig, last thing he needs is the GPU

The reference designs get quite hot, and run loud. I would honestly wait for the cooler non reference designs, but your buddy can't wait. It's his choice, but please look up the heat output of those cards. They are good value for the money, and with liquid cooling they are probably quite incredible.

As far as comparing the two. They seem to be quite comparable. Only one is a lot cheaper. However we really don't know yet, because they are impossible to overclock properly with the stock coolers.

#3324 dcm1602

dcm1602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:11 AM

The reference designs

The reference designs get quite hot, and run loud. I would honestly wait for the cooler non reference designs, but your buddy can't wait. It's his choice, but please look up the heat output of those cards. They are good value for the money, and with liquid cooling they are probably quite incredible.

As far as comparing the two. They seem to be quite comparable. Only one is a lot cheaper. However we really don't know yet, because they are impossible to overclock properly with the stock coolers.

Well i was recommending he grabs a 

Arctic's Accelero Xtreme III along with it 

#3325 Nekopanchi2012

Nekopanchi2012

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

This is the SLI. The gigabyte actually fits in either slot. I was really surprised as the card is very, very long. I'm upset that the Asus seems to sag in the slot as you can see(this is no fault of mine, but the cards as it did the same in the top slot).

Picture11_zps1cbfa4af.jpg

#3326 Biggzy32

Biggzy32

Let's fight like gentlemen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

I figured I would ask this here instead of making a new topic.

I have a relatively new, about a year old, Dell XPS desktop and it's run fine up until about a week ago.

This annoyingly loud buzz is coming from inside.

I'm not too computer savvy but I tried opening up the PC and found it was one of the fans. It's on the graphics card, an AMD Radeon 7770.

If I physically bang the desktop gently it will stop for a minute or two then start back up. Is there anything I can do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#3327 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

Is it filled with dust? Try blasting it with some canned air.

#3328 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

I figured I would ask this here instead of making a new topic.

I have a relatively new, about a year old, Dell XPS desktop and it's run fine up until about a week ago.

This annoyingly loud buzz is coming from inside.

I'm not too computer savvy but I tried opening up the PC and found it was one of the fans. It's on the graphics card, an AMD Radeon 7770.

If I physically bang the desktop gently it will stop for a minute or two then start back up. Is there anything I can do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Buy a replacement fan and replace it. It's dying. It happens.

#3329 Biggzy32

Biggzy32

Let's fight like gentlemen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for the reply guys.

I was googling some info and found that cleaning it, what you mentioned encendido, helped. So I opened it up and pulled out the graphics card. All the sites I looked over said to lubricate the bearings.

So I tried pulling off the fan and ended up breaking what looks a tiny motherboard. Well long story short, the fan doesn't work now but the noise is definitely gone.

This is the one I have

http://www.google.co...15&tx=141&ty=68

Again, I don't know too much about computers, can I still use my computer without that fan working? Will it damage or overheat? There are two other fans inside the desktop but I know that one was specific to the graphics card.

If not, can I buy just a replacement fan? Where can I get that? Is it easy to install? Would I need to solder?

Sorry for all the questions. I really wish I knew more about computers.

Thanks again.

Edit: Is this fan compatible with my Graphics Card?

http://www.newegg.co...#scrollFullInfo

#3330 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

Doh... Did you break a part of the fan or the video card? Maybe take a picture? I wouldn't risk running the video card without the fan. At best, the card will crash from overheating and at worst the card will get damaged. Can you run the PC with onboard graphics for now? If it's just the fan, it shouldn't be to hard to remove and put a new one. I'm not to familiar with that card but I doubt you would have to solder anything.