Photo
- - - - -

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

• Please log in to reply
3467 replies to this topic

#3451 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'm happy to this topic is still going after all these years.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3452 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:02 AM

It'll still be here in fifty years!

#3453 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:13 AM

To whoever I told to buy a 770 in the last month or so.  Ooops.  Anyway, yeah 970's are out now and started at the same price of $320ish.

#3454 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:21 AM

Yeah, the 970 looks pretty impressive.

Keeping it on my radar until price point drops (gonna be a long wait, I know) and I start taxing my present system.

Find it curious I'm willing to shell out $300+ to upgrade my video card but won't splurge on a next gen system.

#3455 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:49 AM

I'm glad I have a 780. I honestly see no reason to get a 980.

#3456 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

I'm happy to this topic is still going after all these years.

Some of us are PC builders for life!

I'm between jobs right now, so I won't be upgrading any time soon. Perhaps when I land a new contract I will celebrate with a bit of a tune-up for my gaming rig. I have a spare mobo in my closet that is actually pretty cherry. I would just need to get the processor for it. It takes an Intel Socket LGA 2011. It's not exactly standard for home PC builds. It's usually used for servers. I picked it up in a processor bundle that I got from an Intel employee. If I could just get a decent CPU to go with it, I could assemble a really kick-ass SLI rig. LGA 2011 is better for multi-threading and handling multiple GPUs. It can run two PCI-Express cards at 16x simultaneously. My current rig can only do 8 x 8.

#3457 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

Ugh I so want a 980. Yes I have since changed my mind seeing these crazy over clocks on air.

#3458 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

If I don't play above 1080p resolution, is it worth getting a 970?

I'm tempted to wait for a 960 in the hope it'll be closer to my budget. Cheapest 970s over here have been ~£250ish. Hoping for something sub-£200 from the 960 range.

#3459 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

Well the 760's weren't that much cheaper than the 770's, around $50-60ish so I don't know if the difference between the 900's will be that significant price-wise.  If you could cut the cost somewhere else (no SSD, sacrilege I know) to go with the better graphics card I would.

#3460 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

If I don't play above 1080p resolution, is it worth getting a 970?

I'm tempted to wait for a 960 in the hope it'll be closer to my budget. Cheapest 970s over here have been ~£250ish. Hoping for something sub-£200 from the 960 range.

Also think in terms of a lot lower wattage. Way better performance, and they seem like beast overclockers.

I would save a little bit longer then uograde.

#3461 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

Well the 760's weren't that much cheaper than the 770's, around $50-60ish so I don't know if the difference between the 900's will be that significant price-wise. If you could cut the cost somewhere else (no SSD, sacrilege I know) to go with the better graphics card I would.

I consider a SSD for the boot drive to be one of The Untouchables. It cannot and will not be cut!

If I have to save a month or two longer I will do, but there's no way I'm skipping a SSD in the build.

Just hoping we see some meaningful discounts before Christmas. Time is at least on my side here.

#3462 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

I consider a SSD for the boot drive to be one of The Untouchables. It cannot and will not be cut!

If I have to save a month or two longer I will do, but there's no way I'm skipping a SSD in the build.

Just hoping we see some meaningful discounts before Christmas. Time is at least on my side here.

I think you can't skimp on a good psu, ssd, and mobo.

I usually get the case I want so I don't have to move things ever again lol.

#3463 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:27 AM

Ok, story time.

In the UK we don't have Microcenters, we don't have mail-in rebates, we don't have particularly great special offers, but we DO have 20% sales tax called VAT. Woo! :whee: So sourcing a deal can always be a pain in the arse. Thankfully, if you're patient enough, Amazon UK will Fuck up eventually and you'll grab something way cheaper than you should've done (the last glitch was an ASRock Z97 Fatality mobo for £47.10, RRP £110).

This morning Baby Olaf woke me up at 6am. I scan PCPartPicker every day to see if anything interesting pops up on the "Price Drops" tab. Today a Silverstone ATX case popped up at 71% off (this one here: link), down to £41.11. Do I want an ATX case? Not really, I was hoping to go small. Am I a CheapArse*? Absolutely.

The case turned out to be a windowed silver Temjin TJ10. It was released in 2007 but still sells today for silly money on some retail sites. Here's a TJ10:

A3477_I1.jpg

The thing is, the listing shows this pic:

21q68crStEL.jpg

That's a TJ07. Similar pricing, slightly different looks. Still a bit oldish but highly regarded case. Both retail at £morethanmybudget (£150-£200 depending on where you look).

I love Amazon UK. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Who knows what you'll get when it arrives but it's a fun little game all the same. :)

* - the official UK denomination

p.s. Stay tuned to find out whether this listing turns out to be a £48.86 top-of-the-range mobo, or a three-year-old ASRock piece of crap (experience says the latter!).

p.p.s There's a few messed-up listing on AmazonUK at present (mostly motherboards). If anybody in the UK wants a heads up, send me a PM and I'll forward you some links. Worst case scenario is that what you order isn't what you wanted and you send it back free of charge.

• dfg likes this

#3464 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

Let us know how it turns out! I love glitches! I got a evga 3gb 580 when they first came out for $400 because of AMZ.

#3465 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

Well the first of three Amazon lucky dips has arrived.

Supposedly it was an ASRock Mod 1155 B75 Pro3 ATX Motherboard (worth £57). However, the pic showed a Gigabyte Z97N Gaming 5 mini ITX board, so I took a gamble. It's worth £115 brand new.

The package that came this morning contained the Gigabyte mobo. Happy happy happy, joy joy joy.

:whee:

Still undecided as to whether or not I'll keep it. Can probably turn a £40 profit on eBay or Gumtree. It really is a very nice board.

#3466 Turboman7

Turboman7

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

Hello fellow CAGs, just found this topic and wanted to ask a question since looks like you guys are pretty well versed.  I'm not sure if there's a better topic already for this or not.

I've been wanting to either just buy a PC and convert it to an HTPC or create one.  I only plan on using the computer for putting movies in the HD, attaching external HDs and using Playon/PlayTV to record OTA shows.  I tried using Playon on my older laptop and that's a fail as it just makes my laptop run very hot.  I want to put the PC downstairs next to my router and have it connect to two TV's, 1 through Roku and the other TV is a Samsung Smart TV in the bedroom.  

My question for you guys, I've been seeing alot of deals on Bens Bargains & Tech Bargains for PC's with Intel Quad Core I5 (~$500) and I7's  (~$650).  And even at Costco, I saw some with 12GB and 16GB (i think) RAM respectively for a little more $$$.  With what I am trying to do, should I just buy these pre built computers?  Do you guys see any problems?  I'm leaning towards the I5 configuration b/c of the price. 

Also, software wise, do you guys think just having Playon/PlayTV would be good?  I see it my Smart TV & Roku, there's Plex.  Another software that I'm very interested in after seeing some Youtube videos is XBMC.  But looks like that's a higher learning curve and not sure if XBMC can connect to smart tv and roku or if it needs to be plugged in using HDMI to a specific TV. 

Any other software that I'm missing?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you guys. 

#3467 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:29 AM

Use PCpart picker and make a couple custom builds. We can help you tweak them. Also do you ssd/no ssd, integrated gpu? Discrete? I'm not a huge HTPC user since I am running UVerese. Also if you are sure you are going DDR3 then buy RAM (8gb is what I would do) when you see an excellent sale price. It's only going to get more expensive.

#3468 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:36 AM

Well the first of three Amazon lucky dips has arrived.

Supposedly it was an ASRock Mod 1155 B75 Pro3 ATX Motherboard (worth £57). However, the pic showed a Gigabyte Z97N Gaming 5 mini ITX board, so I took a gamble. It's worth £115 brand new.

The package that came this morning contained the Gigabyte mobo. Happy happy happy, joy joy joy.

:whee:

Still undecided as to whether or not I'll keep it. Can probably turn a £40 profit on eBay or Gumtree. It really is a very nice board.

Anymore news?

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png