Photo
- - - - -

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

• Please log in to reply
3427 replies to this topic

#1021 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:51 AM

I can't speak 100% for the future, but in all the reviews I've seen there isn't much to be gained from going from 1 to 2 GB in any games today especially on a 1680x1050 monitor. I really think its sort of unlikely that your video card's memory is what will hold you back in a few years if you intend on using that same monitor.

Here's part of a review that will show you the difference between the 1 and 2GB versions of the 5870 to show you how little difference you'll likely see between the two: http://www.anandtech...tion-reviewed/6

Just wait till rage comes out with the SUPER ULTRA MEGA TEXTURING!

#1022 seanj652

seanj652

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:43 AM

Hello again =] So recently I had some financial issues and I'll have to put my build on hold for a while =\ But in the meantime I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with the brand VIZIO? I'm looking to get a 2nd monitor for when I do actually finish my PC. Any thoughts? :]

#1023 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:13 AM

heads up guys, ripped from SD from Xedap

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 Video Card - 1280MB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual DVI, HDMI, SLI, DirectX 11
DEAL JUST GOT HOTTER - found $20 rebate off evga

$349.99
- $30 instant savings
- $30 coupon code- UKG3685
- $45.60 BCB (15.2%)
- $20 rebate
Link for rebate: Use rebate code EGA-8790 (expires 7/16/2010)
+ Free shipping

= $234.40

TD charges tax in FL, IL, NC, TX, GA, SD and ID

I have done coupon codes + BCB through TD twice already and have not had any problems.

Warranty
All EVGA products come automatically with a one year, parts and labor, limited warranty. Upon registration within 30 days of your original purchase, this card is entitled to be upgraded to a limited lifetime warranty.

Also They have $20 off $100 rebate if you do ebill me... I couldnt resist and caved in to replace my 9800 GTX+.... @ $214 how could I refuse.

#1024 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:37 AM

Also They have $20 off $100 rebate if you do ebill me... I couldnt resist and caved in to replace my 9800 GTX+.... @ $214 how could I refuse.

evga forums are awesome.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#1025 dancrane212

dancrane212

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

Seeing as this would be my first time making a PC I think I am going to go with...

AMD: 1) Phenom II X4 965 + 5830 Build (updated 06/06/2010)

I just have a few questions.

Any DVD burners anyone recommends?
Are the cables included with each part and if not which cables/cords do I order?

Thanks!

#1026 kilm

kilm

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

Any DVD burners anyone recommends?
Are the cables included with each part and if not which cables/cords do I order?

DVD Burner: Go with a brand you're comfortable with. You can go cheap on this.

Cables: Maybe your monitor won't come with the appropriate cables. DV-I or VGA or whatever. Mine didn't.

#1027 homeland

homeland

woman wooh man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

I'm getting tired of console gaming, and looking to build my first pc. It would mainly be used for steam (those summer sales looked so tempting) Here's what I have been looking to get (budget is between 550-650)

cpu - AMD Athlon II x3 3.0 $75
graphics card -ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 $145
motherboard board - GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 $125
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 133 $95
psu - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W $45
case -Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $35

I was hoping to save some money by using the HDD that came w/ my viao and a dvd drive I have laying around. Assuming the hdd in the viao is pretty low end, would I notice much of a difference if I bought a newer hdd or would the old hdd suffice? Any suggestions would help, I would love to get the price down to around $500 so I can get a new monitor as well.

Thanks in advance

#1028 BackInBlack

BackInBlack

Fisher Price DSL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

Would this be my best bang for my buck if i was looking to buy a card for around that price? I've been considering building my own pc for some time now. I'm looking to build a pc in the 800-1000 dollar range, and would love to get a great card for really cheap. Would the GTX 470 be a great deal at that price?
StarCraft 2 - Roses

#1029 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

if you got it, yes the GTX 470 would be the best bang for your buck period at that price. It's dead now so I hope you got on it.

it's basically $130 off a relatively new card that was $350 retail.

#1030 Pure Apathy

Pure Apathy

I got paid!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

Ok I posted a while back and it's been awhile so I was wanting suggestions on a computer again. Is this a good set up to be around the $600 mark? I'm wanting to build a computer for gaming (Team Fortress 2, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3) and video editing. Other than that I plan to use it to store music.

I was thinking it would be smarter to go with an Phenom II X4 processor and maybe a bigger HDD, but wasn't sure.

I also already have a DVD RW drive, so that's why I don't have one picked out on my parts list.

Spoiler

Formerly known as RawisJericho

Posted Image

#1031 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:24 AM

Posted Image
back to 1 card.... too bad these fermis have a bug where they idle hot when you use dual monitors. Mine is idling at 70C lol

maxed out at 91 in furmark

#1032 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

I'm getting tired of console gaming, and looking to build my first pc. It would mainly be used for steam (those summer sales looked so tempting) Here's what I have been looking to get (budget is between 550-650)

cpu - AMD Athlon II x3 3.0 $75
graphics card -ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 $145
motherboard board - GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 $125
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 133 $95
psu - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W $45
case -Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $35

I was hoping to save some money by using the HDD that came w/ my viao and a dvd drive I have laying around. Assuming the hdd in the viao is pretty low end, would I notice much of a difference if I bought a newer hdd or would the old hdd suffice? Any suggestions would help, I would love to get the price down to around $500 so I can get a new monitor as well.

Thanks in advance

using the old HDD most likely wont be a problem. make sure its sata. is this hdd from a laptop? many laptop HDDs are smaller in size and have slower RPM than desktop HDDs (5400 vs 7200), but would you notice a significant dip in performance? probably not, but it would be a little slower. honestly, you can probably get a bigger & faster hdd for $50 or less. but other than that i think youre good...

edit: also if its a laptop hdd youll likely have to buy some brackets to mount it in your case securely. but those can be found for under $10.

heres a 500gb hdd, 7200 rpm, its $55 normally, theres a coupon that expires (click the link to see it) on 7/26 to knock the price down to $40. considering you would have to buy a bracket for a laptop hdd, for a $30 or so more youre going to (most likely) have a faster, bigger hdd.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148395

Ok I posted a while back and it's been awhile so I was wanting suggestions on a computer again. Is this a good set up to be around the $600 mark? I'm wanting to build a computer for gaming (Team Fortress 2, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3) and video editing. Other than that I plan to use it to store music.

I was thinking it would be smarter to go with an Phenom II X4 processor and maybe a bigger HDD, but wasn't sure.

I also already have a DVD RW drive, so that's why I don't have one picked out on my parts list.

Spoiler

that should be able to play all those games no problem. you could probably shed a little cost on the ram and power supply without affecting performance noticeably, but it wouldnt be significant savings, maybe $40-$50.

Edited by RAMSTORIA, 22 July 2010 - 06:52 PM.

Posted Image

#1033 MiNuN

MiNuN

De CoMpUtEr

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:54 AM

My friends wants a Graphic Design Monitor for a budget of $300 CAD, any recommendations?

Spoiler

Posted Image

#1034 DrFoo

DrFoo

I think I can beat you.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:44 AM

Wow, what a great deal! Thanks for pointing that out to me. By the way that deal is still up minus the instant coupon code. It just goes like this now:

$359.99
-$30 instant
-$20 mail in rebate (new rebate that expires on 8/2)
-$20 ebillme rebate
-$49.50 bing cash back
=$240.49

Now I can finally play Crysis... at 30 frames per second.

#1035 teknikalei

teknikalei

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:38 AM

Hello guys-

I thought since I always find good game deals here on CAG, I might ask everybody for some hardware buying advice.

I've just started shopping around for components to put together a mid range ($800 - $900) PC that I plan to connect to my HDTV. Here's my wishlist of features:

-DVR functionality - this can be achieved with running some flavor of Linux, I believe. I guess I'll probably need a good capture card - I haven't figured out everything I'll need to pull this off, so any advice is appreciated.
-PC gaming - I'm thinking this would probably require dual booting, unless I can get really good at tweaking/running Ubuntu or something.
-HDMI output - I would be willing to use onboard video at first to save some money, but down the line I will probably upgrade to a decent video card, because I would like:
-Dual monitor support. I want to be able to run video and/or a game on my TV, while doing something else on a separate monitor. Thus that's why I will be upgrading the video card.
-Case - there are so many choices for cases, and I don't necessarily need one that looks like a HTPC, but I thought I'd ask for recommendations. I looked at quite a few of them today at Fry's, and boy a lot of them are ugly and cheap looking.

That's a pretty long list, I know, and in the end I might end up spending more than $900, but I can take my time and buy the best parts available, and hopefully I'll end up with a rig I'm happy with. Just the thought of playing Starcraft 2 on my 47" screen makes me giddy. lol

So- thoughts? Suggestions? insults? I look forward to hearing from you, and if anybody's interested, I'll link to the stuff I'm considering. Thanks.

#1036 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:42 AM

Posted Image
man 470 was a great purchase @ $214

thing OCs beautifully (abeit a bit hot) but very stable

#1037 jenksalot

jenksalot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

If I buy an OEM hard drive and a retail motherboard, will the motherboard include any and all cables I need to connect the hard drive or do I need to buy that separate? I'm buying an OEM Western Digital HD and an Asus P6T Mobo. Thanks.

#1038 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

If I buy an OEM hard drive and a retail motherboard, will the motherboard include any and all cables I need to connect the hard drive or do I need to buy that separate? I'm buying an OEM Western Digital HD and an Asus P6T Mobo. Thanks.

generally speaking a retail motherboard is going to come with the cables you need for at least one HDD. so you should be just fine.

Posted Image

#1039 jenksalot

jenksalot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

generally speaking a retail motherboard is going to come with the cables you need for at least one HDD. so you should be just fine.

Cool thank you sir!

#1040 jenksalot

jenksalot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

One more question - What do I need to get wireless internet? I mean I already have wireless set up in the house for my laptop, but what would I need to get it on a desktop? Thanks in advance.

#1041 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

One more question - What do I need to get wireless internet? I mean I already have wireless set up in the house for my laptop, but what would I need to get it on a desktop? Thanks in advance.

I think most motherboards now have built in network cards.

#1042 kilm

kilm

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:42 PM

I think most motherboards now have built in network cards.

Wireless network cards on a desktop mobo? Uh...................

You'd need to buy something like this

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833315041
or
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833130111

to receive a wireless connection to your desktop.

#1043 Lazy_Bum

Lazy_Bum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:32 AM

Could you guys help me out? I want to build a gaming computer but I don't know where to start my budget is 1500. If I go with the 1500 AMD build and an optical drive would I need to get anything else such as cables or would i be good.

#1044 kilm

kilm

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:38 AM

Could you guys help me out? I want to build a gaming computer but I don't know where to start my budget is 1500. If I go with the 1500 AMD build and an optical drive would I need to get anything else such as cables or would i be good.

If you go with the suggested 1500 AMD build from the OP, I would expect all necessary cables to come included with each part, so no need to buy extras. If you wanted to buy something extra not included in the build, I would suggest a heatsink/fan.

#1045 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:07 AM

unless you really need it now, id hold off on an ssd purchase until the fall. there should be a reduction in $/gb with the intel drives.
what I read was to expect 160gb ssd close to current 80gb prices.

Posted Image

#1046 jenksalot

jenksalot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:09 AM

Alright, final question before I start buying...I've been looking at the Cooler Master Storm Sniper case for awhile and was pretty set on buying. Now I'm thinking maybe the Antec 300 for less than half the price. It seems to have plenty of room for whatever I might throw at it (maybe two graphics cards for example). Whatever I get I was hoping to keep for future builds. Any advice? Any other cases I should be looking at? Thanks again!

#1047 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

Alright, final question before I start buying...I've been looking at the Cooler Master Storm Sniper case for awhile and was pretty set on buying. Now I'm thinking maybe the Antec 300 for less than half the price. It seems to have plenty of room for whatever I might throw at it (maybe two graphics cards for example). Whatever I get I was hoping to keep for future builds. Any advice? Any other cases I should be looking at? Thanks again!

if you need to save money go for the cheaper case. i think the sniper is a very nice case though and i think spending on a case is a justified use of budget if you have the room.

Posted Image

#1048 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

Does crossfire/sli really make a significant difference in graphical performance? I built my PC a year ago and installed an ati hd4870 and the price has come down quite a bit on that card so I could add another one if I felt it was necessary. Has anyone had a good experience using SLI? Is it even supported in most games well?
Steam ID: adamska2020

#1049 kilm

kilm

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Does crossfire/sli really make a significant difference in graphical performance? I built my PC a year ago and installed an ati hd4870 and the price has come down quite a bit on that card so I could add another one if I felt it was necessary. Has anyone had a good experience using SLI? Is it even supported in most games well?

Depends on your idea of significance. Will it double performance? Maybe, depends on the game. Will you see ~20-50% gains? Yes.

So you'll often see your performance increase from say.... 40 FPS to 60 FPS but not necessarily always 30 to 60 (of course, you can always check out benchmarks at various websites).

Most newer games will suppose SLI/Crossfire configs, but many older games won't.

#1050 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

Well, if I did go SLI mode, I'd definitely have to find a way to manage the heat because my single 4870 can get up to around 61 celsius when it really works itself out. Thanks for the info.
Steam ID: adamska2020