Photo
- - - - -

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

• Please log in to reply
3429 replies to this topic

#121 HowStern

HowStern

Knock Knock..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hmm sotc do you have a pdf of your mobos manual? Or if you give me the model number I could find one on the web I'm sure. I could take a look. It sounds like you need a power supply with a 20+8 (or 4+4)pin for the mobo, maybe? Because you mentioned 20-8..I'm sure SOS will be of better help.

But if you give me the link to your psu and the link to your mobo I will take a look and see if i notice any problems or solutions.

Edited by HowStern, 27 June 2009 - 06:11 PM.

"Squeezing a guys jolly roger with your hey nani-nani means dollars" -Howard Stern to Jessica Hahn

#122 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Case/psu manual:
www.raidmax.com/Manuals/smilodon.pdf
Mobo manual (can't get this to download but I have a print copy):
http://www.asus.com/...X5kXQSmyaQaXVEP

And here's a poorly shot youtube video on the insides of my computer. It's kind of all over the place but I pause when I need to. Took some pictures and I'll edit the post to put them in here. In the video I guess the main thing I wanted to look at where the 24pin and 4pin parts of the mobo. I'll post pics of what I plug into that in a sec.
Pics
Spoiler

Edited by sotc1988, 27 June 2009 - 06:55 PM.

#123 HowStern

HowStern

Knock Knock..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

Hmm, so when you plug the 20 pin into the 24 slot on the mobo there shuold also be a 4 pin extra available from the psu to plug into the remaining 4 of the 24 on the mobo.

Then the psu should have a seperate 12v 4pin for the 4pin input of the mobo.

Does the psu have two 4 pin plugs? The first 4 pin should be connected to 20 pin of the psu. Those 2 go into the 24 pin on the mobo. The second one will be your 12v atx that goes into the 4 pin outlet near the cpu.

Edited by HowStern, 27 June 2009 - 07:11 PM.

"Squeezing a guys jolly roger with your hey nani-nani means dollars" -Howard Stern to Jessica Hahn

#124 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:30 PM

Ok that did it. I figured the 12v 4pin would go in the 4 pin slot not in the 24 pin. Thanks. Only now I have a new problem. The monitor won't get a signal from the computer. What would case that? everything is plugged in right from monitor to the computer...

#125 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

You mean your video card is properly seated and is getting enough power and is properly hooked to the monitor and it still won't give you video?

#126 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:43 PM

My mobo has two pciex16 slots so I intalled in the one labeled "PCIEX16_1" (rather than _2) and I think the installation went ok. It could've fit in either one but the mobo or the graphic's card manual didn't specify and they were labeled the same. As far as power, am I supposed to plug anything into the mobo or the psu after installing the card? No manual said that.

http://www1.sapphire...?gpid=245&grp=3
Product page.

#127 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

If you have a higher end card, it most likely requires more power than just given from the motherboard. My GTX 260, for example, requires two more 6-pin cables from the PSU.

#128 HowStern

HowStern

Knock Knock..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

That card takes two 6 pin pci-e connectors. Most PSUs have at least one. If yuo don't have 2 you can get a molex to pci-e adapter. That should fire it up.

#129 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

Yeah your card should have come with a couple adapters, which will be good enough.,

#130 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

And we have
LIFTOFF
Thanks for the help guys. Seriously, I was so beaten by this thing and it wouldn't have happened without you.

Only problems now was that some of the led's (like the power button) didn't have a place on my mobo and there are a lot of extra fans that I couldn't figure out how to power. Is this a big deal?

#131 HowStern

HowStern

Knock Knock..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

As long as you have an intake and an exhaust going I wouldn't worry about the extra fans for now. Glad everything worked out :)

#132 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

Shouldn't be a big deal. If you want to monitor your temperatures, download something like SpeedFan and it'll tell you.

#133 Shinpachi

Shinpachi

Limited Blades Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

Aw I missed all of your fun while I had some of my own.

Got my new rig up and running after a few days of problem solving, using the same mobo as HowStern. In order of problems faced: Forgot the 4-pin 12v to the mobo, had to get adapters for the coolermaster pack of 4 extra case fans, had to get the right adapters for said case fans... Had my old IDE hdd jumper set wrong (apparently master when there's no slave can really really slow down startup to the point I thought my mobo was a bit borked), and finished with having to unplug my HDMI cable for Windows 7 to complete its install (actually borrowed a friend's CRT monitor to find this out unnecessarily).

This may be irrelevent, but if you plan on using more case fans than that motherboard has headers for, and need 3-pin to 4-pin molex adapters to hook them straight to your PSU, make sure you get the right voltage (12v in my case, and you can tell by where the two wires [one should be yellow] go in the socket). Now I have to try and return these stupid opened 5v ones somehow, be weary of trusting Fry's associates. Oh yeah, and I'm loving Windows 7, having skipped over Vista entirely.

#134 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:50 AM

Glad to hear you got your new computer running fine, shinpachi. 7 is a great OS.

#135 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:09 AM

What's optimal temperature for a pc? I think mine was 40 degrees Celsius.
My sound isn't working either, but I'll type up a big thing about that later.

#136 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:06 AM

That's fine.

#137 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:58 AM

40C for CPU is fine. As for your sound, make sure you install the drivers that came with your motherboard. If you're using Windows XP or Vista then you'll need to install the chipset drivers, maybe the network adapter drivers, sound drivers, etc. If you're using Windows 7 RC, then maybe the website will have some updated drivers.

*Edit* Hmm is it just me or has Newegg been running out of stock of those SATA DVD burners really fast? Seems like there is no sub $30 SATA DVD burners right now. How weird.

Edited by SOSTrooper, 28 June 2009 - 06:19 AM.

Posted Image
| Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | 2x Intel X18-M 80GB RAID0 |
| XFX HD 5870 | Corsair HX750W PSU | Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 | Antec P180 v1.1 |

#138 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

Yeah I'm trying to re-install some new drivers. And about the temp, well after about fifteen minutes of use it starts climbing up and these are the speedfan specs.
Temp1: 47C Temp2: 49C Temp3: -128C (?) and core: 43C. Is that still good? How do I plug in the extra fans if they have molex connectors and there are none on my mobo?

#139 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Temp3: -128C (?)

That's probably because the Speedfan is not truly compatible with your motherboard. It does that on my Shuttle XPC. As for your temperatures, those are very normal.

How do I plug in the extra fans if they have molex connectors and there are none on my mobo?

Then you'll have to plug those to the molex connectors on the power supply.

Posted Image
| Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | 2x Intel X18-M 80GB RAID0 |
| XFX HD 5870 | Corsair HX750W PSU | Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 | Antec P180 v1.1 |

#140 Dwapook

Dwapook

Raging Goblin Maniac!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:08 PM

Is a q8200 okay for gaming? I'm looking for a retail prebuilt to add a videocard to for gaming use..

#141 xcopy

xcopy

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:50 PM

Case ( Tuniq 3 Gaming Tower Case Black )
Power Supply ( [= Gaming Edition =] 1000 Watt Extreme Power Supply [Gaming Series] --- Quad SLI + Active PFC + 80 Plus Ready )
Processor ( [New !!] Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
Processor Cooling ( Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator )
Motherboard ( Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology )
Video Card ( 3x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video -- running 3-Way SLI )
Video Card Brand ( === High Performance === eVGA Brand Video Cards [SLI enabled] Powered by NVIDIA )
Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
CD/DVD Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] LG 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black
Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard w/ 18 Internet Hot /Multimedia Keys Black )
Mouse ( iBUYPOWER 1600 dpi High Sensitivity Internet Mouse Black )
USB 2.0 Accessories ( Built-in USB 2.0 Ports )
Operating System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis )
Advanced Build Options ( Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks )
Advanced Build Options ( iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System Protect your investment during transportation! )
Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Sub Total: $2931 Shipped.

What do you guys think?

Posted Image

#142 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

I thought you hated desktops? Also, unnecessarily expensive.

#143 HowStern

HowStern

Knock Knock..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

Yeah if you are giong to spend that much you might as well get a Core 2 Extreme :)

#144 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:45 PM

Why a Core 2? If money is truly no object, go for a Core i7 Extreme. 8-)

#145 xcopy

xcopy

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:52 PM

Why a Core 2? If money is truly no object, go for a Core i7 Extreme. 8-)

This isn't for me. Just buying it for someone.

Also the i7 950 can be OC'ed, so no need for the Extreme.

Posted Image

#146 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:37 AM

Motherboard ( Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E MB )
Video Card ( 3x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video -- running 3-Way SLI )

That motherboard does not support 3 way SLI, not even 2 way SLI, you have to upgrade to the Asus Rampage board, which will cost $150 more.

Posted Image

#147 Shinpachi

Shinpachi

Limited Blades Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

Hmm is it just me or has Newegg been running out of stock of those SATA DVD burners really fast? Seems like there is no sub $30 SATA DVD burners right now. How weird.

I know they were a few weeks ago when I got mine, I'd bookmark one then it'd be out of stock a couple days later.

That $2900 does seem a bit extravagant, but some people have a right to spend their money how they want. What's "USB 2.0 Accessories ( Built-in USB 2.0 Ports )"? And aren't you kinda skimping on the hard drive? I'm not suggesting solid state or anything, but a terabyte's pretty reasonable now, like $100 for a seagate w/same speeds and double the cache.

#148 grendel19

grendel19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

Is a q8200 okay for gaming? I'm looking for a retail prebuilt to add a videocard to for gaming use..

Quads aren't really utilized in gaming still (there are some exceptions), so it isn't necessary. Since this is a retail desktop you're looking at and overclocking probably isn't an option, you should look for a dual core with a much higher default speed.

The Q8200 default stock speed is only at 2.33GHz, the lowest of all Intel quads out there. Look for a prebuilt with a CPU with a stock speed of 3.0GHz or higher.

Playing:
:pc: Dead Space 3; Fallout New Vegas (on break)
:ps3:
:360: Halo 2
Feedbacks: CAG | Heat | ebay

#149 cdietschrun

cdietschrun

Over the Hills, Far Away

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

This isn't for me. Just buying it for someone.

Also the i7 950 can be OC'ed, so no need for the Extreme.

$2931, what a joke.
"Where there are cardboard boxes, there will always be Solid Snake." - MGS Database

#150 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:19 AM

Sometime next week I should be able to post a comprehensive yet to-the-point guide to building a computer, as I will be building a gaming rig for one of my family members. So along the way I will take lots of pictures as well as detailed wiring procedure that some of you had trouble with.

Posted Image