Photo
- - - - -

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

• Please log in to reply
3449 replies to this topic

#1561 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:54 AM

what OS are you running. uninstall AVG or add more ram

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 10:42:33 PM, on 1/20/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Posted Image

Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!

http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

It's free or Fuck it!

#1562 maxim2boobles

maxim2boobles

AwesomeNOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:26 AM

Posted Image

easiest solution, open task manager and see which resource is using most of your memory, cpu, or service. most of the time computer locks up cause there is not enough ram
Posted Image

#1563 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

easiest solution, open task manager and see which resource is using most of your memory, cpu, or service. most of the time computer locks up cause there is not enough ram

Not what he was asking but nice try.

His machine was crashing randomly. It was a heat issue. I think he got the fans and knocked it out.

It's free or Fuck it!

#1564 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:41 AM

If it were me, I'd get at least a 750W to have a little headroom, depending on what else you've got in your system.

stop that

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1565 TwelveVolt

TwelveVolt

Nobody from Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:49 AM

stop that

Stop what? The 460 can use 150W at max load for a stock card. Overclock it, and you're talking more wattage. That's a possible draw of 300W+ total for the video cards alone. Then you figure in a 125W (or so) processor, and optical drives, hard drives, case fans, etc. A high-end 650W PSU would probably cut it, but always better to have a little headroom later on.

#1566 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

Stop what? The 460 can use 150W at max load for a stock card. Overclock it, and you're talking more wattage. That's a possible draw of 300W+ total for the video cards alone. Then you figure in a 125W (or so) processor, and optical drives, hard drives, case fans, etc. A high-end 650W PSU would probably cut it, but always better to have a little headroom later on.

Isn't total wattage a misnomer? I bought a 650W Corsair with +12V@52A and I can't imagine I'll need anything more.
Posted Image

#1567 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:56 AM

Does anyone else have as much trouble picking a CPU like I do? I've been debating forever on it, and when I thought I was locked in on the AMD 965 Black, the i5 2500k SandyBridge came along. Now I'm thinking that I'm never going to use the power of the 2500k and I'm thinking of going back to the AMD.

Ahhh! Why can't I decide?
Posted Image

#1568 maxim2boobles

maxim2boobles

AwesomeNOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

Does anyone else have as much trouble picking a CPU like I do? I've been debating forever on it, and when I thought I was locked in on the AMD 965 Black, the i5 2500k SandyBridge came along. Now I'm thinking that I'm never going to use the power of the 2500k and I'm thinking of going back to the AMD.

AMD 4 LIfe

I you want to save money on your PC build, pick AMD. If you want to be a douche bag , pick Intel Sandy Bridge
Posted Image

#1569 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

AMD 4 LIfe

I you want to save money on your PC build, pick AMD. If you want to be a douche bag , pick Intel Sandy Bridge

that thinking isnt relevant, especially considering the performance disparity.
the sandy bridge chips are the way to go.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#1570 maxim2boobles

maxim2boobles

AwesomeNOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

that thinking isnt relevant, especially considering the performance disparity.
the sandy bridge chips are the way to go.

i was being facetious

i like amd because of their price. if you have the extra cash , get the new tech.
Posted Image

#1571 TwelveVolt

TwelveVolt

Nobody from Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

If you buy a sandy bridge combo off of this Amazon page you get a free copy of Civilization 5. I ordered my combo on Tuesday and got the code the next day. MB and proc should be here today. :bouncy:

#1572 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

i was being facetious

i like amd because of their price. if you have the extra cash , get the new tech.

I like the AMD chip I have picked out and I'm thinking it will be more than enough for me for a while, the appeal of the SandyBridge is two fold. One, it is faster across the board and two, the 1155 socket is newer and I'm hoping that means the option to upgrade in the future will be there. AMD has used the AM3 socket for a while now.

In the end I think I'll be happy either way.
Posted Image

#1573 gnargnargnar

gnargnargnar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Well, still working on painting the internals of my case off and on. I don't have a climate controlled place at home to paint, so it has been mainly a bit on the weekend that I get something done on it at work.

I did pick up a couple components at newegg today thanks to sales/promos.

SATA3 Crucial 64GB solid state drive to use for the OS and whatnot was on a shell shocker deal for $99 so I picked that up.

Also had the 8GB Corsair Vengeance ram (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 have a 30 dollar price drop recently. In addition, Newegg is running a promo code for 15% off all memory. So what I had been looking at a week ago for $135 clocked in at $85. I went ahead and got 16GB for $35 more than what I was looking to spend on 8GB.
Posted Image

#1574 retro.elite

retro.elite

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Put this beast into your new system.
Posted Image
AMD HD 6990 Dual GPUhttp://www.tomshardware.com/gallery/002,0101-278765-0-2-3-1-jpg-.html#

Posted Image

#1575 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

watts mean nothing more than a guideline as to which category of PSU you might consider possibly maybe looking at

amps and number of rails are infinitely more important. you don't "figure" watts for anything. you look at the amps.

heres a link to a post i made awhile ago discussing power supplies, some good info in there if you like.
http://www.cheapassg...26&postcount=24

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1576 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:18 AM

Im looking at upgrading from my Best Buy clearance laptop to a home made desktop soon. I wanted to follow some of the talk here and elsewhere and get an AMD, but since I'll be doing 3D rendering it seems I should stick with with I7. I am however not sure a out a graphics card. For sure not getting one specifically for 3d rendering because their just not worth it to me, but not sure what else is smiled upon these days. Any suggestions?

Also the 6990 scares me. We won't go there.

#1577 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:32 AM

watts mean nothing more than a guideline as to which category of PSU you might consider possibly maybe looking at

amps and number of rails are infinitely more important. you don't "figure" watts for anything. you look at the amps.

heres a link to a post i made awhile ago discussing power supplies, some good info in there if you like.
http://www.cheapassg...26&postcount=24

thats a good post, I say it should be added to the OP
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#1578 kamui34

kamui34

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Anyone know of a good deal for Windows 7...? Receiving my new parts from Newegg tomorrow and I need to get my hands on the OS.
Posted Image

#1579 n00bie

n00bie

Grazing for cheap games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Yeah. At Amazon (not sure if they do it at Newegg) they let you buy a system builders kit for 7 for like $99.

#1580 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

I've been eyeing up this monitor for some time:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236052

But now it looks like this one has it beat in all aspects:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236059

Any reason not to take the second one at the same price?
Posted Image

#1581 Mid Boss

Mid Boss

Live Free or Don't

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:24 AM

I really wouldn't say the second one is much better. Those monitors look to be around 95% identical to me. I'd still say to take the second one for the larger rebate, though.

#1582 gnargnargnar

gnargnargnar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:41 AM

I really wouldn't say the second one is much better. Those monitors look to be around 95% identical to me. I'd still say to take the second one for the larger rebate, though.

Ditto to that. But act fast, I think the rebate is only good for purchases through tomorrow.

Basically a trade off between 0.6" more screen space or 3ms faster response time between the two.

My case is 80% painted or so (just have 3 removable drive bays and the two removable side panels left). So I decided to take my rivets and make it not a pile of parts. Only have the mobo tray back together thus far. Pics were taken with my phone, so not the greatest and I'm too lazy to drag the camera out. I'm happy with it so far.

Slide out Mobo tray before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1583 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Intel finds flaw in 6-series chipsets, halts shipments

http://techreport.co...ussions.x/20326
Posted Image

#1584 retro.elite

retro.elite

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Intel finds flaw in 6-series chipsets, halts shipments

http://techreport.co...ussions.x/20326

From what I read so far it affects only the sata 2 ports on the chip. If third party manufacturer use other chips to control sata 2, those won't fail. But they still have bad sata 2 from the H/P 6 chips.

My local computer store has already stoped the sales of all the 1155 motherboards.

Posted Image

#1585 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hate to create a new topic so I will just ask here. How do you guys back up your stuff and transfer it between computers? As I have said here a few times within the next few months I will be getting a new PC, but in the mean time this PC is REALLY filled up and I do not want to delete any of my stuff or back it up to a burnt DVD. The problem is less that I have such an insane amount of stuff and more that this PC only has like a 250 gig hard drive.

I was thinking of buying an external hard drive that way I could just plug it in, transfer everything over to it for back up and then when I got my new PC transfer from the external to the new PC.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen

#1586 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

Hate to create a new topic so I will just ask here. How do you guys back up your stuff and transfer it between computers? As I have said here a few times within the next few months I will be getting a new PC, but in the mean time this PC is REALLY filled up and I do not want to delete any of my stuff or back it up to a burnt DVD. The problem is less that I have such an insane amount of stuff and more that this PC only has like a 250 gig hard drive.

I was thinking of buying an external hard drive that way I could just plug it in, transfer everything over to it for back up and then when I got my new PC transfer from the external to the new PC.

I usually use my media PC to handle heavy transfers from upgrading or dying rigs. For everything else that is not so heavy I use USB drives and/or free online storage.

Edited by Megazell, 31 January 2011 - 09:33 PM.

It's free or Fuck it!

#1587 retro.elite

retro.elite

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

Transfer between PC. I use FTP. You will need a good FTP server and client.

#1588 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

I usually use my media PC to handle heavy transfers from upgrading or dying rigs. For everything else that is not so heavy I use USB drives and/or free online storage.

What is a media PC? Like you bought a really cheap PC just for storage and watching media or something?

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner

#1589 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:17 AM

What is a media PC? Like you bought a really cheap PC just for storage and watching media or something?

well, you have a few cheap easy options.

you could wait until you get your new PC and just transfer the files between computers over a LAN. use your existing router or a crossover cable.

you could also buy an external enclosure and pop in the existing HDD in there. transfer over the files, then format it for a spare 250gb external. you should be able to get an enclosure for under $20 no problem.

and finally you could buy an external HDD. they arent a bad thing to have handy anyway, and they are pretty reasonable in price. $60 for a 500gb one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822145323 <--- i actually have this one, bought it at frys one weekend when it was on sale. its very small and works great.

Posted Image

#1590 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:08 AM

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Was thinking of that one.