Photo
- - - - -

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

• Please log in to reply
3405 replies to this topic

#1861 j-cart

j-cart

BOOM BOOM SHAKE SHAKE, NOW DROP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:58 AM

Read ck64's PSU guide before you do.

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=296099

#1862 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

THIS IS IT GENTS:
http://www.tomshardw...o-apu,2959.html
Summary: No one who builds PCs will give a shit about Llano. Its key feature is combining the CPU and GPU into one power effcient model that acts as an average CPU and a GPU that is just above the best integrated solutions, on par with a low to medium discrete graphics card. It takes up a lot less power than a cpu+gpu combo which means its good for laptops and thats about it.

Still waiting on that bulldozer news AMD...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1863 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

yeah I assumed that all the intergrated AMD were going to be subpar, they are wonderful for HTPCs though and laptops, but never a desktop/workstation type system.

I too am waiting for the golden aura of that bulldozer... I hope it at least matches intel, because AMD will beat it easily by dollar.

Of course, all of the intel groupies can thank AMD.

Sidenote that I heard about SSD's, the pricepoint won't change for a long time. I know... there isn't a footnote, but I had read that SSD's are meeting a size limitation that they haven't yet overcome. So far OCZ has raided theirs within the enclosure to get the space they want with the speed they advertise, but price is not moving. Or at least not moving enough as to stay in line with regular mechanical HDs.

I am running 6 SSDs in all of my systems, and I will NEVER go back. They are godsends to netbooks and HTPCs. I can normally restart my HTPC from cold to ready about 6 times before I can get the damn Sony Bluray player ready to even eject the damn tray.

The only hurt is that I'm a gamer, and have Steam, and the space is painfully low.

#1864 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:08 PM

The only hurt is that I'm a gamer, and have Steam, and the space is painfully low.

See this is my dilemma as well. I do almost all my gaming on Steam nowadays, hence my Steam folder is HUGE. I try to keep it around 100 gb's but that is a tough task. That really puts me in a bind when it comes to the current SSD's available. I don't think I would feel comfortable buying a SSD under 200 gb's, and hot damn are they expensive from 200 up!
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1865 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:30 AM

pretty nice combo going on right now at newegg for a psu+case.

nzxt phantom is 140$, has a promotion for 20$ off.
corsair 750tx v2 is 109$.
buy them in a combo and get 20$ off in addition to the 20 from the case.

slick combo for ~200$

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1866 danielisawinner

danielisawinner

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

Link, pl0x? I can't find it on the site. I just see a recommended combo for the NZXT and a thermaltake psu.

I just got paid today and this is clearly a sign from Mecha-Shiva to purchase such things.

#1867 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Link, pl0x? I can't find it on the site. I just see a recommended combo for the NZXT and a thermaltake psu.

I just got paid today and this is clearly a sign from Mecha-Shiva to purchase such things.

http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.660205
also has a 10$ MIR and free shipping to boot. so it really is about 200$. the white case with red trim is also available but has a 25$ shipping cost and no extra 20$, but the black one looks the best anyway. the promo code for the 20$ off the case is listed on the case's page. It is EMCKDJF37 and ends the 20th of this month.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1868 danielisawinner

danielisawinner

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

Oh, that's why I couldn't find it. I was looking for the white one.

Well... Even with the white case and the 750tx, my total would come to $219.98 after the $20 off code for the case and $10 MIR for the psu. Still cheaper than what I would spend buying them separately...

#1869 cgarb84

cgarb84

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

Well I just bought Windows 7 Professional on Amazon so I guess the first step has been taken. The retail version was somehow only $190 so I jumped on it, that's by far the cheapest I've ever seen it.

I have some build questions for you guys before I decide to order anymore parts. Here's what I am leaning towards so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K ---- $220 on Newegg
MB: Any specific ones people recommend?
RAM: I want 8 gigs of something, I had Corsair Dominator DDR2 in my last machine and had 3 sticks fail on me in less than 4 years so IDK if I want to go there again.
GPU: Have a GTX 460 in my current build....maybe can use it again or buy another and SLI it?
HDD: I have 2 160 gig Raptors in RAID and a 1TB Storage drive in my current pc. I am thinking of getting a SSD, one big enough for my games (aka Steam) so minimum 240 gig? Any suggestions here? Or do I even need one?
Optical Drives/Inputs/Sound Setup/Tower/PSU: All good to go from my current build.

So in short I really just need a MB,CPU,RAM, and a SSD.

My goal is to keep it around $1000. If I have to get a new GPU obviously that will go up. Any and all help/input is appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the reasoning for the new build......Battlefield 3. That's what it needs to handle haha.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1870 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:29 AM

Well I just bought Windows 7 Professional on Amazon so I guess the first step has been taken. The retail version was somehow only $190 so I jumped on it, that's by far the cheapest I've ever seen it.

I have some build questions for you guys before I decide to order anymore parts. Here's what I am leaning towards so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K ---- $220 on Newegg
MB: Any specific ones people recommend?
RAM: I want 8 gigs of something, I had Corsair Dominator DDR2 in my last machine and had 3 sticks fail on me in less than 4 years so IDK if I want to go there again.
GPU: Have a GTX 460 in my current build....maybe can use it again or buy another and SLI it?
HDD: I have 2 160 gig Raptors in RAID and a 1TB Storage drive in my current pc. I am thinking of getting a SSD, one big enough for my games (aka Steam) so minimum 240 gig? Any suggestions here? Or do I even need one?
Optical Drives/Inputs/Sound Setup/Tower/PSU: All good to go from my current build.

So in short I really just need a MB,CPU,RAM, and a SSD.

My goal is to keep it around $1000. If I have to get a new GPU obviously that will go up. Any and all help/input is appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the reasoning for the new build......Battlefield 3. That's what it needs to handle haha.

MB your choice to make is p67 or z68. z68 has slightly better xfire/sli performance, some bullshit with using a small ssd as a cache for your harddrive, and some video encoding that makes that shit fly except you can do it with better quality using a cpu anyway. The prices are getting closer every day so if you find a deal on a z68 mobo with the stuff you want for 160$-ish snag it. Motherboards are one of the few things I have a brand loyalty to so I'm biased here. I won't buy anything that isn't a Gigabyte if they offer a board comparable to one I'm looking at so keep that in mind with my suggestions.

The ud4 of gigabyte's z68 lineup is "the shit" as far as z68 boards go in my opinion:http://www.newegg.co...8-494-_-Product

Of course you can drop to the UD3 to save some dosh, heres the performance model:
http://www.newegg.co...8-493-_-Product

Any lower and I'd just get a p67.

The asrock p67 extreme4 is usually the one suggested to those considering a crossfire/sli option: http://www.newegg.co...7-229-_-Product

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1871 sinned47

sinned47

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:48 AM

can someone explain to me the advantage (if there is one) of intel's SRT? honestly, i cant see why you would do it instead of just using a ssd and a hdd as separate drives. please correct me if im wrong:
the ssd is a lot faster and all you would have to do is add and replace data between your ssd and hdd. for example, if i feel like playing game X and i have to get rid of game Y on my ssd, all i have to do is delete game Y off my ssd and move the files of game X from hdd to ssd
some of the benchmarks for SRT vs just ssd doesnt seem worth investing in SRT setup.

#1872 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

finally got all my parts today (3 day shipping my ass), got the rig up and running right after assembly with no problems. tracking down a copy of windows atm, won't get to do much with it tonight since i have work tomorrow but you best believe i'll be posting all sorts of stuff when i do.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1873 v1et r1ce

v1et r1ce

Formerly nikelecious91

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:16 AM

It seems super hard to find a 5850 these days. Any other recommendations for another card around $150?

#1874 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:32 AM

Has anyone asked a mod to wiki the OP?

Seems like that would be helpful...
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#1875 ROB64

ROB64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:35 AM

Aye, it hasn't been updated in a year, so wiki would be nice.

Also, sent my newegg wishlist to everyone, so hopefully I can get some parts for my birthday. :D

Also, thoughts on this card?
http://www.newegg.co...ID=3067296&SID=

I mainly want it to play Portal 2 and do some video editing, (not much of a PC gamer.) Or would I even need a video card? (the motherboard I chose has an onboard Radeon HD 4250.)
Posted Image

#1876 cgarb84

cgarb84

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

Alright here's what I'm looking at for my new build. Let me know if you see any problems or have any suggestions/tips. I plan to start to start ordering stuff by next weekend and have this thing built by early July.

Helpful article I used when deciding on parts/strategy: http://www.anandtech...ge-buyers-guide

Components I already have:

PSU: Ultra X3 1000W (http://www.ultraprod...7989&CatId=2535 )
GPU: EVGA nVidia GTX460 1 GB
HDD's: 1TB WD Drive, 2X WD Raptors 160GB in RAID 0
Drives: 1 DVD burner, 1 DVD player, 1 Floppy Drive
CPU Fan: Zalman 9500 Fan (I will probably get a better heatsink still)
OS: Windows 7 Professional Retail (just bought this week for $190)

Components I'm looking at:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 http://www.newegg.co...=GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 $190 on Newegg
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K LGA 1155 http://www.amazon.co...08494897&sr=8-1 $220 on Amazon
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600(PC3 12800) (2 X 4GB) http://www.newegg.co...1-314-_-Product $85 on Newegg
SSD: Intel 510 Series 250GB SATA III http://www.newegg.co...#scrollFullInfo $600 on Newegg

In regards to the GPU I plan on keeping my GTX460 for now. I figured I will see how it handles games like Rage and the Battlefield 3 beta in September. If it holds me back (and I think it will bottleneck my system) then I will buy a new card at that time. For now I think I'm good though.

Now obviously the "bitch" of the system is the SSD. I have decided I would like to buy one now for my fresh Windows 7 install so instead of waiting until they get cheaper down the road just pony up now and spend the money. 250GB I about what I will need for size (my Steam folder is giant), it should be big enough for all my gaming and the OS itself. Everything else will go on either the Raptors in the RAID setup or my 1TB storage drive.

Total cost = ~$1100

OK so am I crazy on that? Any other problems or things I should think about before I start ordering stuff?
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1877 Mid Boss

Mid Boss

Live Free or Don't

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

Overall it looks fine, the only thing I'd suggest changing is the SSD. Intel is good, but that drive is seriously overpriced. Take a look at a 256GB Crucial m4 instead. It should be very close to the Intel in performance, but costs $150 less.

#1878 cgarb84

cgarb84

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for that suggestion. I did some more digging and found a good article at Tom's Hardware comparing the OCZ Vertex, Intel 510, and Crucial M4 series SSD'd. It sounded like the Vertex is slightly faster than the Crucial but the Crucial is the best value by far on the market right now. I can get that 256GB Crucial for $436 on Amazon right now, which is a big enough price difference from the Intel to make me think twice. Plus from that TH article it sounds like the Intel drive is better for big file transfers but slower on lots of smaller ones (I put that in dummy terms that I can more easily understand lol).

I will keep looking into things for the next week or so. Thanks for the suggestion, there's a good chance you saved me a assload of cash!
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1879 sinned47

sinned47

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

ill be finally be able to start my build tomorrow once my motherboard and ssd come in from amazon.

core i5 2500k
asus z68 pro
gtx 560 ti
g.skill ripsaw 2x4gb
ocz vertex 2 60gb
wd 1tb black
cooler master hyper 212
corsair tx850
lite on dvd-rw
antec 1200 case

im planning to get a second gpu sometime down the road
anyone recommend a certain keyboard? i have my eyes on the 40-50 dollar razer keyboard. pretty cheap and i like how it feels from using my friend's keyboard.

#1880 zechs34

zechs34

Voice of Voiceless

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

Wow finally found a good thread to discuss this so hoping anyone can give me some input... I Currently have a stock HP w/ A Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, Win 7 Pro, and I put in a 9500 GT about 2 yrs ago, and about 6 months ago, replaced that with a GT430.

Its starting to show its age as I cant get Witcher 2 past 14-16 FPS on low, and the like. Metro 2033 same. So on and so forth. So for Father's day, my wifey let me start building a PC. Here is what I have decided on with my budget ($400-$600)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM $55
Asus DVD-RW 24x Burner $20
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard $93
This case; http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147153 $50
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 $160
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 $65
Diablotek PHD Series PHD550 550W $40

Now my question. How should either of my graphics card run on this until I wait for more games like BF3 and Skyrim to buy another card? I was thinking of getting a Radeon HD. Maybe this HD 6850 unless they of course fall more in price or my GPU's plain out wont work right now...

http://www.newegg.co...2-908-_-Product

Please advise! Thanks!
Posted Image

#1881 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:43 AM

ill be finally be able to start my build tomorrow once my motherboard and ssd come in from amazon.

core i5 2500k
asus z68 pro
gtx 560 ti
g.skill ripsaw 2x4gb
ocz vertex 2 60gb
wd 1tb black
cooler master hyper 212
corsair tx850
lite on dvd-rw
antec 1200 case

im planning to get a second gpu sometime down the road
anyone recommend a certain keyboard? i have my eyes on the 40-50 dollar razer keyboard. pretty cheap and i like how it feels from using my friend's keyboard.

Let me know how much clearance you get on the CM Hyper 212+ and the RAM slots.

Wow finally found a good thread to discuss this so hoping anyone can give me some input... I Currently have a stock HP w/ A Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, Win 7 Pro, and I put in a 9500 GT about 2 yrs ago, and about 6 months ago, replaced that with a GT430.

Its starting to show its age as I cant get Witcher 2 past 14-16 FPS on low, and the like. Metro 2033 same. So on and so forth. So for Father's day, my wifey let me start building a PC. Here is what I have decided on with my budget ($400-$600)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM $55
Asus DVD-RW 24x Burner $20
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard $93
This case; http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147153 $50
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 $160
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 $65
Diablotek PHD Series PHD550 550W $40

Now my question. How should either of my graphics card run on this until I wait for more games like BF3 and Skyrim to buy another card? I was thinking of getting a Radeon HD. Maybe this HD 6850 unless they of course fall more in price or my GPU's plain out wont work right now...

http://www.newegg.co...2-908-_-Product

Please advise! Thanks!

I'm not sure if you are asking for advice on choosing a new card or if you will be happy with either of your old cards. I could be wrong, but I don't think you are going to see much performance improvement on the 430. Don't take that as gospel, I'm sure someone with MUCH MORE XP than me will chime in

Edited by reddjoey, 20 June 2011 - 05:57 AM.

Posted Image

#1882 sinned47

sinned47

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:10 AM

Let me know how much clearance you get on the CM Hyper 212+ and the RAM slots.

im sure room isnt going to be a problem. just look up some youtube videos and there many people with the same hsf and case. i will update tomorrow however.

#1883 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

im sure room isnt going to be a problem. just look up some youtube videos and there many people with the same hsf and case. i will update tomorrow however.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm asking if the 212 will cover the 4th RAM slot on the motherboard.
Posted Image

#1884 zechs34

zechs34

Voice of Voiceless

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

Reddjoey thanks! But yeah I was just asking if I had a good enough setup with my new items and that GT430 or should I just go out and get that Radeon HD6850 or w.e since I have seen its a good value for the price... all my items are actually crossfire ready which is why im considering that radon so I can get a dual setup later...

#1885 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

I think you misunderstood me. I'm asking if the 212 will cover the 4th RAM slot on the motherboard.

I went with the ASRock z68 mobo and the 212 Plus comes REALLY close to covering it but it doesn't. As a precaution I installed my RAM before installing the cooler so I wouldn't have to put it at a weird angle or anything.
Posted Image

#1886 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

Question for the group, are there any internal card readers that you really like? It seems like the $15-$20 ones are usually hit or miss and the next step up is $40-$50 and that is more than I want to spend.
Posted Image

#1887 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

I went with the ASRock z68 mobo and the 212 Plus comes REALLY close to covering it but it doesn't. As a precaution I installed my RAM before installing the cooler so I wouldn't have to put it at a weird angle or anything.

Thanks, I passed on the ASUS Z68 too since it looked like a tight squeeze.
Posted Image

#1888 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

Hey man hopefully I can borrow some of your time and run some questions by you. Im looking at a build similar to your $1200 build but I don't know if I should hold on for another month and have enough to get your exact build or something along those lines or stick to what I was going to begin with. Your build seems close to what I was shooting for anyway.

So here are the questions. Is the 570 that much better than the 560ti or should I save that little bit extra for the 570? (shooting for something that will max everything) I was actually considering skipping a hdd altogether and spend alittle more and get a 128g ssd, keep in mind I will only play a couple of games. (bfbc2,sc2,d3,b3) So I dont need that much room its for like OS + Handful of games. Do you recommend that? Might be able to hold off and save and get a bigger one if needed.

More questions. How do you like that case? I was looking at that exact same combo. Not too crazy about it not having any side windows but I can live with it. I was originally looking at the ones recommended in the falcon grid. When it comes to mobos I'm completely lost. Do you think sli/crossfire would be simple to do for a "noob?" I was kind of hoping of it keeping it simple and stick to 1 video card and no overclocking whatsoever unless its manufactured that way. Also what IS better 6gb triple channel or dual channel 8gb RAM? I know it depends on the mobo, so in this case the ones you recommend.

Last set of questions. Also I see in your build you have an aftermarket HSF. Is that absolutely necessary or just recommended? I was just going with stock until I saw you recommend that. And a last few questions regarding the other stuff involved. What should I be looking for in a monitor? I'm looking in the 22"-24" range. I understand I want the highest resolution 1920x1200. It's also for strictly gaming/movie watching. So I know lower ms the better and preferably 120hz?

Keep in mind I've been doing and still am a mind numbing amount of research but it's still alot to intake hence I'm asking for your help. Thank you for your help in advance.

1. 560ti vs 570
No, for many people a 570 is not worth it over a 560ti or even a 560 especially if you're planning to xfire them down the road, xfired 570s are very close in performance to xfired 560s. I went with the 570 because for me some things are all or nothing. ie. I want a minimum frame rate in a certain game. If the card, even if its a very good card, cannot achieve that minimum frame rate its worthless to me. This was the case with the 570 vs the 560 for me. The 560 is a much better price per performance card but it simply wouldn't suit my needs.

2. SSD's
You know its really hard to recommend SSDs right now. They lose their benefit as soon as things are done settling in your RAM and they're just so dang expensive to get one of any reasonable size. I think you could get away with a 128gb, but it doesn't leave a lot of room to expand. You'd definitely want a larger drive to store your media on.

3. The NZXT Phantom
This case... its fucking huge. I had forgotten how big full size towers are. Its a beast thats for sure. For my build its overkill and I could have easily saved money here. It does have really nice cable management, maybe I'll take a picture to show you just how much room this thing has. There is one fairly minor complaint that I didn't take the time to research about this case though. There are no 3.5' front panel bays, aka no floppy drive, and also no USB 3.0 (That motherboard I got comes with a nice 3.5' bay front port panel for usb 3.0 plugs right into the mobo but you can't use it with this case since theres no slots in the front for it.) Its pretty quite especially if you turn the fan sliders down, but really 120$ for this thing I'd say is worth it if you wanted a full size tower, but not to me because its just way too much case. Also, side windows are ricer as Fuck and I hate them.

4. SLI/Crossfire
Yes its pretty easy. Plug in your 2 video cards into a mobo that accepts them, if you get the asrock extreme 4 like me theres actually 3 pci-e slots for 3 way crossfire so make sure you plug it into the appropriate slots (tells you which in the manual). Then slap on your bridge (comes with mobo).

5. Dual vs Triple Channel Memory
I have no idea I've never looked at triple channel.

6. Replacement HSF
No need if you're not overclocking. The intel fans are good enough, they're made to perform at stock speeds and they do it well enough. In the case of the i5-2500k though, you're going to want to overclock it. Otherwise, you might as well just buy a 2500. (k= unlocked multiplier= no one cares except overclockers)

7. Monitor
I only know enough to know what I want and that it doesn't exist.
IPS 120hz with a true 5ms response time in a 16:10 resolution with displayport and an infinite contrast :drool:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1889 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:52 AM

Thanks, I passed on the ASUS Z68 too since it looked like a tight squeeze.

If you are considering the ASRock Extreme4 and want to run any questions by me, shoot me a PM and I'll help where I can.
Posted Image

#1890 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

If you are considering the ASRock Extreme4 and want to run any questions by me, shoot me a PM and I'll help where I can.

I'm good, but thanks.
Posted Image