Photo
- - - - -

The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

• Please log in to reply
3456 replies to this topic

#181 HowStern

HowStern

Knock Knock..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

http://forums.tweakt...sh-guide-27576/

Awesome! Thanks a ton! I'm guessing I didn't have "Legacy USB Storage Detect" enabled because I never even touched saw option lol

Good stuff! Thanks, man. Thanks SOSTrooper for putting this thread together too.

Update: I ended having to make a bootable dos flash drive like the site suggested as an alternative to flash my bios but it worked perfect.
Was able to unlock the 4th core of phenom II x3 720 with the new bios feature (EC Firmware; Hybrid, ACC: Auto)

Update2: Got all four cores running stable in prime95 at 3.4ghz after bumpinh voltage to 1.425 from 1.325.

Edited by HowStern, 11 July 2009 - 05:03 AM.

"Squeezing a guys jolly roger with your hey nani-nani means dollars" -Howard Stern to Jessica Hahn

#182 fritter

fritter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

Ok, hopefully this is the right thread this time. Here's the comp I'm planning on building:

http://secure.newegg...Number=15904027

Any comment or suggestions would be appreciated :D

#183 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

Alright. So I am trying to build a PC to take with me to college in the fall.

I have about a $650-$700 budget for it. Here is my wishlist on Newegg:

https://secure.neweg...spx?ID=14384448

I am not exactly going buy all of those parts at those prices, but I just want to see what people think of my build.

I am pretty sure I want a gigabyte EP45-UD3R, C2D E8400, GTX 260 and 4GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD. Everything else just needs to fit around that. Does anybody have some suggestions or comments?

Also, if anybody knows of great deals on those parts, I am going to have money and start buying parts later this week.

#184 HowStern

HowStern

Knock Knock..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

Ok, hopefully this is the right thread this time. Here's the comp I'm planning on building:

http://secure.newegg...Number=15904027

Any comment or suggestions would be appreciated :D

Looks good. Will leave room for upgrading too. I would switch the GPU to the 1gb model and save the $50 because DX11 cards will be coming out in a few months. So no point in spending too much now. The 1gb should be plenty sufficient.

ATI's are good. I have the XFX hd 4870 1gb and was able to OC it to 780mhz gpu and 1045mhz GDDR5 from 750mhz and 900mhz respectively using the built in auto-tune. Makes the memory clock faster than the 4890 and the GPU very close(4890 is 850mhz I believe).
"Squeezing a guys jolly roger with your hey nani-nani means dollars" -Howard Stern to Jessica Hahn

#185 fritter

fritter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

Looks good. Will leave room for upgrading too. I would switch the GPU to the 1gb model and save the $50 because DX11 cards will be coming out in a few months. So no point in spending too much now. The 1gb should be plenty sufficient.

ATI's are good. I have the XFX hd 4870 1gb and was able to OC it to 780mhz gpu and 1045mhz GDDR5 from 750mhz and 900mhz respectively using the built in auto-tune. Makes the memory clock faster than the 4890 and the GPU very close(4890 is 850mhz I believe).

Thanks for the reply :D

I forgot say I got a code in their newsletter to get the 2gb card for $185. And the 2gb card has better cooling, so that'll help with OC-ing. Plus I don't know if I'll go upgrading it right away or not, this is my first build, I don't really want to mess anything up once I get it running :P

#186 HowStern

HowStern

Knock Knock..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:40 PM

Ahh, yeah, for $185 I would just go with the 2gb then :)

#187 fritter

fritter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

Alright. So I am trying to build a PC to take with me to college in the fall.

I have about a $650-$700 budget for it. Here is my wishlist on Newegg:

https://secure.neweg...spx?ID=14384448

I am not exactly going buy all of those parts at those prices, but I just want to see what people think of my build.

I am pretty sure I want a gigabyte EP45-UD3R, C2D E8400, GTX 260 and 4GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD. Everything else just needs to fit around that. Does anybody have some suggestions or comments?

Also, if anybody knows of great deals on those parts, I am going to have money and start buying parts later this week.

That link is for your private wish list, you have to share it, wait a day or so for it to appear, then give us the link for the public wish list ;)

Edited by fritter, 19 July 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#188 jlew

jlew

For Great Justice

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

I'm wanting to play Company of Heroes. Currently I am just using onboard GMA3100 video and its like watching a slideshow even on lowest settings. Any recommendations on an inexpensive videocard that could handle COH at med-full settings?

These video card descriptions might as well be written in swahili b/c I can't make heads or tails out of them. Minimum requirements for video are Graphics card: 256 MiByte and Shader Model 3.0 / Geforce 6800 or better / Radeon X1600 or better

Its kinda an older game so I figure I wouldn't need the top of the line card. I don't really plan on playing anything newer except maybe tales of valor.

I'm looking at GeForce 7300GT, GeForce 8400GS, or Radeon HD 3650 all of those are less than $40 on newegg right now

Edited by jlew, 21 July 2009 - 02:54 PM.

My Tradelist

"...I'm filled with stress! I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money??" - Homer Simpson

#189 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

what do you have on your mobo? agp or pci e? also, whats your budget?

Posted Image

#190 jlew

jlew

For Great Justice

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

what do you have on your mobo? agp or pci e? also, whats your budget?

PCI E on mobo, my budget would be preferrably less than 60 bucks.
My Tradelist

"...I'm filled with stress! I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money??" - Homer Simpson

#191 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

http://www.newegg.co...=Radeon HD 4650

Posted Image

#192 jlew

jlew

For Great Justice

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

http://www.newegg.co...=Radeon HD 4650

Thanks for the recommendation. Question,

This one here http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102838 looks pretty much the same, is there an advantage to getting the "low profile" one? I would have to use the bracket adapter anyway
My Tradelist

#193 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

i didnt even realize i picked the low profile one, it was the first sapphire 4650 i saw. youd want to go with the one you linked. its the same chipset, so they are same. youd only want the low profile if you had a non standard case.

Posted Image

#194 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

That link is for your private wish list, you have to share it, wait a day or so for it to appear, then give us the link for the public wish list ;)

Um, how exactly do I do that? :lol:

I already created the wish list, and selected the "Share" option. What else do I need to do?

#195 jlew

jlew

For Great Justice

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully I'll be picking this card up soon.
My Tradelist

#196 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:55 PM

Um, how exactly do I do that? :lol:

I already created the wish list, and selected the "Share" option. What else do I need to do?

find one of the public lists in this thread that are on the OP, replace the list number with your list number, should work after that if youve already selected share.

Posted Image

#197 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

Ok, let's try this one:

http://secure.newegg...Number=14384448

#198 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

that works, system looks good. you probably wont notice a difference but you can get 1066 ram instead of 800 for the same price. im also cheap and have case/psu combos in my builds to save money, other people here (probably most) would suggest getting seperately, but if the $50 dollars or so youd save doesnt matter then dont bother.

Posted Image

#199 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:12 PM

that works, system looks good. you probably wont notice a difference but you can get 1066 ram instead of 800 for the same price. im also cheap and have case/psu combos in my builds to save money, other people here (probably most) would suggest getting seperately, but if the $50 dollars or so youd save doesnt matter then dont bother.

Do you have a suggestion for a Case/PSU combo that would work with those parts?

Most combos I saw had PSU's under 500W and the cases kind of sucked.

#200 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:21 PM

the closest thing on new egg would be this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811162037

but the case and psu you have are much better in quality though. the sacrifices youre going to make with a case/psu combo are looks and quality.

Posted Image

#201 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

the closest thing on new egg would be this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811162037

but the case and psu you have are much better in quality though. the sacrifices youre going to make with a case/psu combo are looks and quality.

Yeah, I would prefer to stick with the case I have. But that will really depend on what kind of deals I find on the other parts.

EDIT:

For anyone who knows, do most cases come with cooling fans or not?

Last time I built a PC which was probably 2+ years ago now, the case didn't come with any fans, which was a huge pain.

#202 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

the case you picked has 2 included, 80mm Fans 1 x 80mm front fan & 120mm Fans 1 x 120mm rear fan. fans with cases are 50/50, some do some dont. a lot of times when they do expect them to be cheap.

Posted Image

#203 HowStern

HowStern

Knock Knock..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:20 AM

Hmm I would suggest maybe switching to this mobo

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128358

for $15 more to leave you the option of being able to add a second nvidia in SLI later on.

The UD3R has only one PCI e slot.

Not a huge deal though.

#204 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

Sorry guys, I'll be updating the original posts soon, Intel announced some price drops on the mid range C2D, Pentiums, and low end C2Q, so I'll be adding those. Also I just need to write up the build-a-computer tutorials (got all pictures uploaded), so stay put.

:)

Posted Image
| Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | 2x Intel X18-M 80GB RAID0 |
| XFX HD 5870 | Corsair HX750W PSU | Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 | Antec P180 v1.1 |

#205 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

heres my problem. i currently have an eMachines T3092, its about 5 years old and it powers on but i get a black screen. it use to crash when the windows logo would boot up now it just doesnt even display anything. ive tested the monitor, graphics card, tried sticking another hard drive in there and its all the same. i was thinking it might have been the power supply because the fan attached to the power supply does not move at all (300W), so i popped in a spare 250W and same issues. ive done some reasearching and people are saying its either a mother board or hard drive problem. one thing i noticed that leads me to believe it might be the mother board is the capasitors had some crust all over them and there kind of swollen, might have been leaking.

so here iam today, i want to get a pc running for about 300-400 bucks. i figured i could just get another ATX board so i wont have to replace the case. i never actually built a pc before but i pretty much know what plugs into where. the only thing that really concerns me is installing a new processor, ive seen alot of people saying how hard that is. so if anyone can help me out and tell me what the best value is for my dollar would be much appreciated. im looking for these specs

ATX mobo with PCI-E slot
400-500 W power (for high end graphic cards in the future)
4 slots for ddr2 ram? i currently have ddr sdram but i might as well upgrade right?
and a decent hard drive, min 350 GB

im assuming i can salvage whatevers left in my emachines for parts i wont have to buy and i hope my hard drive is ok still so i wont have to buy a new OS to install on the new HDD.

when it comes to processors im in the dark, whats better Intel- AMD i dont know. id like to be around 2.7 Ghz or higher though. and on newegg when you buy the mobo/cpu bundles are they pre installed?
let me know if im missing anything etc etc any help is appreciated thanks
Posted Image
I was half cut, im not slippin man i slipped! - Max Payne

#206 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

Sorry guys, I'll be updating the original posts soon, Intel announced some price drops on the mid range C2D, Pentiums, and low end C2Q, so I'll be adding those. Also I just need to write up the build-a-computer tutorials (got all pictures uploaded), so stay put.

:)

Did they say when these price drops were going to be happening?

EDIT:

I see that the Q8400 CPU would cost just about the same as the E8400 I have in my build right now.

Would it be wise to wait for that price drop and get the Q8400 instead? Also, is there any huge difference between the Q8400 and the Q9400?

#207 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

Did they say when these price drops were going to be happening?

EDIT:

I see that the Q8400 CPU would cost just about the same as the E8400 I have in my build right now.

Would it be wise to wait for that price drop and get the Q8400 instead? Also, is there any huge difference between the Q8400 and the Q9400?

http://www.tomshardw...-cuts,8306.html

According to that article, it'll be happening sometime this week. As for the differences between E8400, Q8400, and Q9400, the odd man out here is actually the Q8400. Q8400 cannot overclock very well, so you're basically stuck at the stock speed and up to about 3.2GHz before you run into problems. It also has less cache than all quad core and many dual core CPUs. So for gaming it generally performs very poorly compared to the E8400. The Q8400 also will lack features that will be supported by Windows 7, namely XP mode. Q9400 on the other hand, is a good quad core CPUs that will have some legs even a couple years down the road; it has more cache and also a much better overclocker for when you need it. So the real choice here is between E8400 and Q9400. I would choose the Q9400 for long term purpose, since it's only about $30 - $40 more, for twice the cores.

Posted Image
| Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | 2x Intel X18-M 80GB RAID0 |
| XFX HD 5870 | Corsair HX750W PSU | Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 | Antec P180 v1.1 |

#208 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

http://www.tomshardw...-cuts,8306.html

According to that article, it'll be happening sometime this week. As for the differences between E8400, Q8400, and Q9400, the odd man out here is actually the Q8400. Q8400 cannot overclock very well, so you're basically stuck at the stock speed and up to about 3.2GHz before you run into problems. It also has less cache than all quad core and many dual core CPUs. So for gaming it generally performs very poorly compared to the E8400. The Q8400 also will lack features that will be supported by Windows 7, namely XP mode. Q9400 on the other hand, is a good quad core CPUs that will have some legs even a couple years down the road; it has more cache and also a much better overclocker for when you need it. So the real choice here is between E8400 and Q9400. I would choose the Q9400 for long term purpose, since it's only about $30 - $40 more, for twice the cores.

Ok, well I have another question.

I have never actually overclocked my CPU before, but I am planning on doing it for this next build. However, I also tend to leave my PC on all day, so I want stability and low temperatures.

Would it be worth it to buy a 3rd party CPU cooler for a E8400 or Q9400?

EDIT: Goddamn, I wish I had my money available right now. (And a Microcenter near me)

http://www.microcent...duct_id=0301968

Edited by darthbudge, 22 July 2009 - 05:45 PM.

#209 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

so here iam today, i want to get a pc running for about 300-400 bucks. i figured i could just get another ATX board so i wont have to replace the case. i never actually built a pc before but i pretty much know what plugs into where. the only thing that really concerns me is installing a new processor, ive seen alot of people saying how hard that is. so if anyone can help me out and tell me what the best value is for my dollar would be much appreciated. im looking for these specs

ATX mobo with PCI-E slot
400-500 W power (for high end graphic cards in the future)
4 slots for ddr2 ram? i currently have ddr sdram but i might as well upgrade right?
and a decent hard drive, min 350 GB

im assuming i can salvage whatevers left in my emachines for parts i wont have to buy and i hope my hard drive is ok still so i wont have to buy a new OS to install on the new HDD.

when it comes to processors im in the dark, whats better Intel- AMD i dont know. id like to be around 2.7 Ghz or higher though. and on newegg when you buy the mobo/cpu bundles are they pre installed?
let me know if im missing anything etc etc any help is appreciated thanks

GHz dont really matter that much anymore nowadays. As long as you get something like a Core 2 Duo E7400 or above, you're in the clear for some serious performance gain. $400 should be more than enough to get you a very decent upgrade. You can probably reuse your DVD burner and case, but just make sure your case supports regular ATX motherboards too, and not just MicroATX. You should double check that before you make a decision on a motherboard. Here's what I would recommend:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 - $120
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L - $100
Corsair 4GB DDR2 - $47
OCZ 550W power supply - $50 after rebate
WD 500GB Caviar Blue - $57

You didn't mention whether you need a video card or not. But in the original post there are many choices for the price you might be looking for. Definitely go with Intel CPU right now, AMD is still a viable alternative, but you are paying less for less performance, so it really balances out as not much benefits can been seen.

I have never actually overclocked my CPU before, but I am planning on doing it for this next build. However, I also tend to leave my PC on all day, so I want stability and low temperatures.

Would it be worth it to buy a 3rd party CPU cooler for a E8400 or Q9400?

A 3rd party CPU fans will help, especially if you live in hotter areas. And most 3rd party coolers can perform much better than the stock cooler. I might have put a few choices in the original post, depending on your budget. OC'ing probably will come later on, in a year or so, when you find out you might want to squeeze some more power to run the newest games more smoothly. With a Q9400, you dont need to OC now, but the option will be there and ready for you to tweak for when you need it. I leave my PC on all day too, so I opted for a high performance air cooler for my setup.

Posted Image

#210 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

A 3rd party CPU fans will help, especially if you live in hotter areas. And most 3rd party coolers can perform much better than the stock cooler. I might have put a few choices in the original post, depending on your budget. OC'ing probably will come later on, in a year or so, when you find out you might want to squeeze some more power to run the newest games more smoothly. With a Q9400, you dont need to OC now, but the option will be there and ready for you to tweak for when you need it. I leave my PC on all day too, so I opted for a high performance air cooler for my setup.

Yeah, my budget is about $700 for right now. Currently my newegg wish list is at $833 and after rebates it is about $750. So I probably won't be getting a cooler to start with.

That is with the UD3P Mobo and Q9400. The Q9400 should be dropping $20 before I buy it, and hopefully I can get some of the other parts cheaper.