Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

the_punisher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
200 (100%)
For all your crappy Toonami show, lame Naruto Manga, and massive spoilers & pirated soundtracks Cowboy Bebop needs ;).

Oh, yeah. I went there.

(Just kidding about Toonami, may it R.I.P.)

Toonami___11_Years_of_Goodness_by_marcotte.jpg

Oh yeah, buy death note.

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Note-Re...=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1244867653&sr=8-13

51%2BYaoClHUL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So we're using this now?

Anyway, I got .hack//Roots V1 from big Lots so i started watching that. And one thing I'm noticing that it annoying me is that it doesn't seem to be anti-aliased well, at least when watched on an SDTV.

[quote name='the_punisher']

(Just kidding about Toonami, may it R.I.P.)

[/QUOTE]

Found this a couple months back, just after Toonami's cancellation http://www.imeem.com/retronami/

I've been slowly reading One Piece. I'm up to number 7 now, picking up one or two books a week. I'm having difficulty picking up Dragon Ball Z because I know the story so well that I'm just not interested in collecting all of the books

But I am loving One Piece.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Found this a couple months back, just after Toonami's cancellation http://www.imeem.com/retronami/

I've been slowly reading One Piece. I'm up to number 7 now, picking up one or two books a week. I'm having difficulty picking up Dragon Ball Z because I know the story so well that I'm just not interested in collecting all of the books

But I am loving One Piece.[/QUOTE]

There used to be a channel one Mogulus that was trying the same thing, I think it was called Neo Toonami.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Why did you make a new thread? It was unnecessary. :|[/QUOTE]

He should change the title. 5112th is not anime related ;)

I marathoned Sailor Moon (well, the first 46 episode season or whatever it was) in a couple days last summer. That was such an awesome summer.

I oughta do something like that this one. Hmmm... Mai Hime/Otome sounds like a viable option. My nutbladder's gonna die. ;_;

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I marathoned Sailor Moon (well, the first 46 episode season or whatever it was) in a couple days last summer. That was such an awesome summer.

I oughta do something like that this one. Hmmm... Mai Hime/Otome sounds like a viable option. My nutbladder's gonna die. ;_;[/QUOTE]

How'd you find it? DVDs and VHSs are impossible to find, and I've got a stick up my butt about torrenting. Torrented 08th MS Team, felt dirty, ran out and bought it the next day. I will not be a part of the decline!

I'm thinking I should try a marathon, but the only long series I own is Dragon Ball Z. I'm a huge fan, but I can't make it through all the episodes in one sitting. I've been working through season six for the last three weeks :lol:

I marathoned Sailor Stars last summer, good times.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']How'd you find it? DVDs and VHSs are impossible to find, and I've got a stick up my butt about torrenting. Torrented 08th MS Team, felt dirty, ran out and bought it the next day. I will not be a part of the decline![/QUOTE]

a) I own the original DVDs for the first 3 season and have for years. b) Even if you do find the DVDs and buy them for a hugely overpriced amount, you going to be as much a part of this so-called "decline" as you would be even if you got them through other means.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I marathoned Sailor Stars last summer, good times.

a) I own the original DVDs for the first 3 season and have for years. b) Even if you do find the DVDs and buy them for a hugely overpriced amount, you going to be as much a part of this so-called "decline" as you would be even if you got them through other means.[/QUOTE]

True. I guess torrenting them wouldn't be that much of an issue, as they haven't been in print in years.

But I stand by my view that downloading is hurting the industry. I mean, look at ADV, which is hanging on by a thread, and Central Park Media, once one of the biggest anime distributors, now gone. I'm not taking a holier-than-thou stance, I just don't want to be a part of the decline of an industry I love.

What if you just stream it? I remember a few months ago, I went on a random "need to watch Sailor Moon" craze and scoured the net for cheap DVDs (which i found out don't exist) or a site to stream it. There were a few that had it, though I only found one that had the dub.... I like dubs. :D

Yeah, I acquired it through alternative methods. I could write a whole article on this subject, but I'm pretty sure that site management would frown upon me even suggesting such a thing.

How do you feel about fansubbing then?

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Yeah, I acquired it through alternative methods. I could write a whole article on this subject, but I'm pretty sure that site management would frown upon me even suggesting such a thing.

How do you feel about fansubbing then?[/QUOTE]

I'm for it until a series gets licensed in the US. It's really the only way to stay current with whats coming out in Japan, barring streaming subs like (formerly) One Piece and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. If it's a series I like, then once it's released, I'll delete my fansubs and buy the product.

It's a little different for a licensed series that wont ever be completed, like Saint Seiya. I've got the two box sets that ADV released, but they'll never come out with the rest of the episodes, so I've turned to fansubs for the rest.

I used to be really big into fansubs in the 90's. I've still got a big trunk full of my old DBZ tapes, and, oddly enough, I found an old fansub of DBZ movie #10 at goodwill a short while back. The local anime shop (R.I.P) used to sell them at 15 dollars a pop! I wish I would have had the internet back then, because they were traded at the cost of a tape! Ah, the good old days.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Found this a couple months back, just after Toonami's cancellation http://www.imeem.com/retronami/[/QUOTE]

I know a lot of people that never liked the custom intros and bumps for Toonami (and early Adult Swim) shows , but I always thought they had a special charm to them. That and I also liked the music they played for them.

[quote name='StarKnightX']I know a lot of people that never liked the custom intros and bumps for Toonami (and early Adult Swim) shows , but I always thought they had a special charm to them. That and I also liked the music they played for them.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know anyone didn't like them. Most of the comments on YouTube and the like are nostalgic and good. I loved the bumps and the music. I even bought the Deep Space Bass CD, and I still listen to it while I'm studying.

I say Yu Yu Hakusho is a great series. Of course, I can only say that wearing my nostalgia glasses because I'm pretty sure that objectively it's only mediocre.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Next time I get a day off, I'm gonna marathon Gundam 0080. That ending is so depressing.[/QUOTE]
I'm planning an epic UC Gundam marathon.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm planning an epic UC Gundam marathon.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, Good luck.

I got the movie pack a little while back, but I haven't had the time to watch them yet. It was used, but all the discs look ok except Char's Counterattack.

I just read the first chapter of the new GTO manga, GTO Shonan 14 Days. It's pretty great. It looks like more of the same stuff, but that's perfectly fine in my opinion. Hopefully it runs for a couple volumes. The whole "14 Days" thing makes it seem short.

I ordered Welcome to the NHK #1 the other day from Amazon after finally finding it. Been after that for months but it went out of print.

I really need to watch Time of Eve episode 4 too, I watched 1-3 and enjoyed them I just keep forgetting.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I didn't know anyone didn't like them. Most of the comments on YouTube and the like are nostalgic and good. I loved the bumps and the music. I even bought the Deep Space Bass CD, and I still listen to it while I'm studying.[/QUOTE]

I used to read from others online (I believe a lot of that opinion came from the toonzone forums , where I used to lurk some time ago) that all some people wanted from toonami (and adult swim) was for the shows to air with their original intros , endings and eyecatches , instead of the custom work (the "americanized" intros , endings and eyecatches). The only toonami bits they wanted to see was at the very beginning and the very end.

Personally I could see why some people would want that , but I liked the toonami custom work so I didn't agree with it.

[quote name='the_punisher']Agreed, i didn't really like or dislike them, but they did make me want to keep watching for some reason. The avatar has a charm to him for some reason....

Also, anyone think i should marathon Yu Yu Hakusho? I've seen almost a season, but the pace is so very slow. It started out really good, but it's just getting tedious to watch one/two episodes at a time. Still, i've heard it's great.[/QUOTE]

The second and third seasons of the show are the best. The first season is a bit on the slow side , and the fourth (final) season is too rushed.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I say Yu Yu Hakusho is a great series. Of course, I can only say that wearing my nostalgia glasses because I'm pretty sure that objectively it's only mediocre.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Bingo.[/QUOTE]

Ok , question then , of the American Shonen Jump lineup , how would you rank these titles:

Yu Yu Hakusho
DBZ
Naruto
One Piece
Bleach
YuGiOh
Shamen King

Just out of Curiosity?;)

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Next time I get a day off, I'm gonna marathon Gundam 0080. That ending is so depressing.[/QUOTE]

Very True. It's also a nice and short show. Gets it point across in a measly 6 episodes.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Ok , question then , of the American Shonen Jump lineup , how would you rank these titles:

Yu Yu Hakusho
DBZ
Naruto
One Piece
Bleach
YuGiOh
Shamen King

Just out of Curiosity?;)[/QUOTE]

Ahahaa~, oh man, this is like picking my favorite STD! Let's see, from "best" to worst...

One Piece
Naruto
Shaman King
Bleach
Yu Yu Hakusho
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Dragon Ball Z

Ugh, that hurt. I guess I don't mind the first three on the list *that* much, but after that, there's a steep drop-off in quality. The saddest part is that I've seen almost every episode of all of these.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I say Yu Yu Hakusho is a great series. Of course, I can only say that wearing my nostalgia glasses because I'm pretty sure that objectively it's only mediocre.[/QUOTE]
watching the dub now after only seeing a few on CN, seems like its still pretty good to me.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Ahahaa~, oh man, this is like picking my favorite STD! Let's see, from "best" to worst...

One Piece
Naruto
Shaman King
Bleach
Yu Yu Hakusho
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Dragon Ball Z

Ugh, that hurt. I guess I don't mind the first three on the list *that* much, but after that, there's a steep drop-off in quality. The saddest part is that I've seen almost every episode of all of these.[/QUOTE]

Ouch , that bad huh?

[quote name='crystalklear64']watching the dub now after only seeing a few on CN, seems like its still pretty good to me.[/QUOTE]

The uncut versions of the show are a bit more humorous than the tv edits , at least I thought so. Actionwise they are about the same , save for a few scenes.

Mine would be the same as Kiri's, except I'd place Shaman King below Yu-Gi-Oh. I really didn't like Shaman King. :X

You guys probably mentioned this already but I walked by my local indy theater the other day and saw a poster for a live action Blood the Last Vampire movie. It didn't give a date but it said it was coming out this summer.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I just read the first chapter of the new GTO manga, GTO Shonan 14 Days. It's pretty great. It looks like more of the same stuff, but that's perfectly fine in my opinion. Hopefully it runs for a couple volumes. The whole "14 Days" thing makes it seem short.[/QUOTE]

Keep giving us updated. I loved the original GTO anime, even if it was a little chiched/episodic at times. It's the overall show that was great.

Seems like 14 days is good, but i'm not really into manga :cry:. Hopefully, it'll be good enough to turn into an anime, even a short one, maybe OVA.

[quote name='the_punisher']Keep giving us updated. I loved the original GTO anime, even if it was a little chiched/episodic at times. It's the overall show that was great.

Seems like 14 days is good, but i'm not really into manga :cry:. Hopefully, it'll be good enough to turn into an anime, even a short one, maybe OVA.[/QUOTE]
I prefer manga. In most cases, if one is better than the other, it's the manga that's better than the anime. In the case of GTO, the manga was a lot better.

The fact that Kirin put Naruto second, followed by saying that he saw most episodes.... I'm wondering if I should ever trust his opinion again. Though I'm also a bit curious wheer Rurouni Kenshin would rank in his list, since I'm sure it's also Shounen Jump.

I think I've seen maybe only one of two episodes of Shaman King and One Piece, so I'll reserve judgement of my list based on incompleteness. :razz:

[quote name='Chronis']The fact that Kirin put Naruto second, followed by saying that he saw most episodes.... I'm wondering if I should ever trust his opinion again. Though I'm also a bit curious wheer Rurouni Kenshin would rank in his list, since I'm sure it's also Shounen Jump.[/QUOTE]

I think I'd put Kenshin after Shaman King, but before Bleach... possibly right after, too. I've always found it to be a thoroughly boring, average show, which includes most of the "beloved" Kyoto arc. It's not that I *enjoy* any of these, mind you (ma~ybe One Piece...), though they may have their moments of brilliance - some more than others. This is a battle of average-to-crap shounen action shows, after all.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I think I'd put Kenshin after Shaman King, but before Bleach... possibly right after, too. I've always found it to be a thoroughly boring, average show, which includes most of the "beloved" Kyoto arc. It's not that I *enjoy* any of these, mind you (ma~ybe One Piece...), though they may have their moments of brilliance - some more than others. This is a battle of average-to-crap shounen action shows, after all.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you are going by anime. Kenshin and Shaman King both drifted off too much from the manga. I havent watch any of the Shaman King anime but I heard it changed a lot of things such as not killing off characters. I did read the Shaman King manga and it has one of the most disappointing ending of all time.

About the only time anime drifted off and manged to work out is FMA.

I just finished watching Fate/Stay Night and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. I thought both of them were great; I enjoyed them a lot.

[quote name='Razzuel']I just finished watching Fate/Stay Night and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. I thought both of them were great; I enjoyed them a lot.[/QUOTE]

Gawd, I hate both of those... The latter moreso, but they're both pretty bad. Is there anything you *don't* like, though?

Razz gives me hope, since I bought the Fate/Stay Night DVD+CD combo from Right Stuf. Actually, I have nothing to do now.... Might as well test it out!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Gawd, I hate both of those... The latter moreso, but they're both pretty bad. Is there anything you *don't* like, though?[/QUOTE]

Just the same, is there anything you do like ;)?

Just finished watching Desert Punk. (Minor spoiler, nothing to do with characters/plot, but i still put it in spoilers in case you don't want to know anything at all about Desert Punk).

The change to a more serious tone in the second half of the show really made the show much better for me. It still managed to retain what made it funny and cute in the first place, but also managed to take on a more serious tone. The last two disks especially got really intense and funny, and overall i'd say the show was definitely worth a watch.

Anime for me isn't about all AAA (if that's what they're called in the anime world) titles, it's about shows that make me interested enough in the world to make me watch from start to end. I'm not interested in shows like Naruto that span a crapload of seasons and aren't fun to watch sometimes.

I also tend to like shorter (13/26/52 episode) anime's because they show a finish line. Being close to finishing an anime makes me want to keep watching it, but shows that go on forever don't give me that kind of motivation. I guess that's why i never managed to get far in Yu Yu Hakusho- i could barely finish half a season.

Maybe it's just me, but i watch anime to enjoy it, and on that note, i enjoyed Desert Punk. Just the same, i didn't enjoy Galaxy Railways or Love Hina, and so i didn't watch them.

I'm still going through Air (1/2 done, and the movie on its way to my house), but since i try to watch one serious anime and one happy/comedic anime, i think i'm going to start My-Otome next. I should also be getting both seasons of Kodocha relatively soon (courtesy of RK).

And, breathe.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Gawd, I hate both of those... The latter moreso, but they're both pretty bad. Is there anything you *don't* like, though?[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, yeah I guess I do give off that impression. So far I have not seen anything I ended up not liking. There have been some moments in some anime that I have watched where I was either indifferent or discontent, but I ended up enjoying the show overall regardless.

[quote name='Chronis']Razz gives me hope, since I bought the Fate/Stay Night DVD+CD combo from Right Stuf. Actually, I have nothing to do now.... Might as well test it out![/QUOTE]

Well, I hope you enjoy it.

[quote name='the_punisher']Anime for me isn't about all AAA (if that's what they're called in the anime world) titles, it's about shows that make me interested enough in the world to make me watch from start to end. I'm not interested in shows like Naruto that span a crapload of seasons and aren't fun to watch sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Same. If I like a show to want to continue watching it, then I'm enjoying it and consider it good. Not to be negetive towards him, but that's what irks me about Kirin. Like the Shonen Jumps shows, he said he doesn't like them, but yet also said that he's seen most of the episodes of those shows. If you don't like a show, why continue watching it? Again, back to the Jump example, I didn't like Naruto enough to continue watching it which is why I made that comment. For all I know, every episode that I didn't see is wonderful, but what I did see just didn't make me care about it all.

Then again, maybe that's just a fault I have when watching stuff. I mean, Code Geass is generally loved by anime peoples, yet when I watched it, it didn't seem to draw me in. It wasn't that I didn't like it, it's just that I failed to care about the world, and for that reason I never really got into it. Maybe if I went in with more of a "if I can tell it's good, then it's good" mentality, maybe i'd like different stuff. Who knows.

[quote name='Chronis']Same. If I like a show to want to continue watching it, then I'm enjoying it and consider it good. Not to be negetive towards him, but that's what irks me about Kirin. Like the Shonen Jumps shows, he said he doesn't like them, but yet also said that he's seen most of the episodes of those shows. If you don't like a show, why continue watching it? Again, back to the Jump example, I didn't like Naruto enough to continue watching it which is why I made that comment. For all I know, every episode that I didn't see is wonderful, but what I did see just didn't make me care about it all.

Then again, maybe that's just a fault I have when watching stuff. I mean, Code Geass is generally loved by anime peoples, yet when I watched it, it didn't seem to draw me in. It wasn't that I didn't like it, it's just that I failed to care about the world, and for that reason I never really got into it. Maybe if I went in with more of a "if I can tell it's good, then it's good" mentality, maybe i'd like different stuff. Who knows.[/QUOTE]

No, i think that mentality is right, at least it's the same one i have. Everyone also told me that Cowboy Bebop was amazing, and although i'm clearly in the minority here, i just didn't like it.

That's not the say the show was bad: the episodes i watched were enjoyable enough; i guess it was the fact that the show is episodic that turned me off it because the show doesn't encourage making you want to keep watching. It's a show that you can be satisfied with watching just one episode, and i guess that doesn't do it for me. I'm still thinking of giving it a second chance, but not right now.

I actually like when shows are episodic like that. In fact, I tend to like the first season of long series' the most because they are stand alone episodes. I under stand what you're saying though. If there isn't a story that's connecting all the episodes, then it just seems unrelated.

[quote name='the_punisher']No, i think that mentality is right, at least it's the same one i have. Everyone also told me that Cowboy Bebop was amazing, and although i'm clearly in the minority here, i just didn't like it.

That's not the say the show was bad: the episodes i watched were enjoyable enough; i guess it was the fact that the show is episodic that turned me off it because the show doesn't encourage making you want to keep watching. It's a show that you can be satisfied with watching just one episode, and i guess that doesn't do it for me. I'm still thinking of giving it a second chance, but not right now.[/QUOTE]
I agree about Cowboy Bebop. Never could get into it, and it's for the same reason. I just don't like episodic shows.

bread's done
Back