False Advertising by Activision?

MourningCoffee

CAG Veteran
Like many of you, I recently picked up "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Game of the Year Edition" for Xbox 360. Before I purchased it, I researched the game and thought it was a good deal considering the fact that it included the original game plus the "Variety Map Pack." However, when I got the game home, I found that the keycode to download the map pack was missing.

I contacted Activision customer support via their website to obtain the map pack and their response to me was:

The only Call of Duty 4: Game of the Year versions that include the token for the Variety Map Pack have the green patch, stating "FREE 4 New Multiplayer Maps."

This was a temporary promotion/limited time during March 2008 and mid-summer 2008 and only through several retailers, like Gamespot, EBgames, Target, Walmart and Best Buy.

If your game case has the green patch, but does not have the map pack token, the retailer must honor this and provide you with the map pack.
My copy of the game did not include this "green patch" so Activision told me I was out of luck. Given the fact that I had already opened the game to look for the keycode, Best Buy would not allow me to return it for my money back.

I did not recall any announcements or advertisements stating that the map pack would only be included for a limited time, so I researched various Activision press releases and articles on gaming websites but could find no evidence of this claim. Here are a few examples of articles I found:

http://www.gamershell.com/companies/activision/406831.html
http://www.gamershell.com/companies/activision/412572.html
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14242235.html
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166984
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/17/call-of-duty-4-gets-game-of-the-year-edition-next-month/
http://kotaku.com/369931/modern-warfare-variety-map-pack-details

Given that there was no disclosure from Activision to the public regarding the fact that the map pack had been removed, and the fact that all reports from the games press continue to state that the "Variety Map Pack" should be included in the "Game of the Year Edition," I do not see how Activision could possibly expect consumers to know they should be looking for a "green patch" on the box to make sure they obtain the map pack.

Furthermore, the only differentiating features between the original release of "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" and the "Game of the Year Edition" were the box art and the inclusion of the "Variety Map Pack." If Activision did not want to include the map pack, it would have been very simple, and much clearer to consumers, to stop production of the "Game of the Year" box art and simply return to manufacturing the original version of the game.

My question to all of you is this: Does this seem like false advertising to you?

Some of you might think, "It's only $10, get over it." But if Activision can mislead 100,000 people to buy the game, they potentially made themselves a million bucks.

I look forward to your comments on this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's pretty shitty. I thought all copies had the map pack code in it..

Do I think it's false advertising? Not exactly, but it's sure as hell misleading. They never said anything about it being temporary, but without the sticker being on the box, they're not really obligated to provide a code. Thanks for the heads up, though, that is surprising to me.

I got rid of my COD:4 and have been thinking of getting it again when it drops in price, and the free Map Pack was a big reason why. So I'm with you on this one. Seriously Activision, get your act together. They were complaining about the systems not coming down in price during E3, how about not charging $60 a game and being tricky with rerelease of your products.

Thanks for the feedback Scorch. I just want to get the word out there so other CAGs know what they are getting into if they buy the game.

It just makes me angry when big corporations try to pull stunts like this.

Not that this will make you feel much better, but the maps really aren't that good anyways. I ended up downloading them day 1 and then deleting them off of my hard drive in order to not have to play them again. I know multiple people that I now play with that have done the same, but it still sucks that they did that.

It's good to know the maps aren't very good. I wasn't planning to buy them given the fact that I'm pretty miffed at Activision right now, but thanks for the info SlimJim!

Ridiculous. Like it costs them so much to just include a few maps. You'd think they'd do it just to avoid the bad press, let alone a potential class action lawsuit.

Sadly it seems Activision cares about PR about as much as the RIAA does.

[quote name='camoor']You'd think they'd do it just to avoid the bad press[/QUOTE]

That's just it. The games press is totally ignorant of the switcheroo Activision has pulled. They tend to look forward to games that have not yet been released, and tend to ignore games as old as COD4. Plus some media outlets might not want to blow the whistle for fear that Activision will deny them access to advance copies of "Modern Warfare 2."

I hope the games media pick up this story and prove me wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was common knowledge that the GOTY edition no longer offered the additional maps. I seem to remember reading in various deal threads that everyone was aware of that. Could be wrong though.

[quote name='Strell']I thought it was common knowledge that the GOTY edition no longer offered the additional maps. I seem to remember reading in various deal threads that everyone was aware of that. Could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

Hi Strell. If you could dig up a link where this was discussed, I'd appreciate it as I have not found any prior to this week's weekly ad deals post.

[quote name='mykevermin']Without the variety map pack, what does the GOTY version offer that the standard does not?[/QUOTE]

The artwork is different on the box and on the game disc. That's it.

Elder Scrolls GOTY---->includes DLC
Fallout 3 GOTY---->will include DLC
different company, I know, but how about...
Call of Duty 2 GOTY---->includes DLC
Call of Duty 3 GOTY---->includes DLC
Every other GOTY, including Activisions last 2 COD's had the free maps.
Gee, I wonder why people assume that 4 would follow the same pattern!

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-200..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1244601451&sr=8-2

ps i have no idea who mourningcoffee is, this crap just really pisses me off!

Though they never stated that it was a limited time offer, they haven't included the map pack in quite a while.

As for what it offers: a darker box about it now. It's not they sell the non goty edition anymore either.

[quote name='heatison777']ps i have no idea who mourningcoffee is, this crap just really pisses me off![/QUOTE]

I'm just a regular guy who loves games. I hardly ever post on forums, but I do listen to a lot of gaming podcasts and read gaming websites. I've been following the CAGcast for a while and I figured this site was the best place to post this information as it was likely to benefit the most people.

Feel free to friend me up on Xbox Live. I'm always looking for new people to play with.

I just bought the Game Of The Year Edition recently too so that I could have the map pack. It has always been common knowledge that they were included. Pissed me off majorly to find out they jipped us by no longer including them. Why the heck pay more for an edition that is no different. It is false advertising to name it something different hoping you will buy it for the xtra dough. At least you got an answer from Activision while they are ignoring my question about it. That's another thing I hate about them. Just to ask a question I had to fill out an account with them online. The whole situation is total BS. Thanks for bringing it up.

As others have said, it's not technically false advertising, but it IS incredibly misleading.

Including that map pack was the only real difference between the versions, it does seem like they're still trying to trick consumers.

I'm glad to know this, as when I do finally buy the game, I can probably save a few bucks by getting the non-GOTY.

[quote name='wolvinator']Thanks for bringing it up.[/QUOTE]

Hi Wolvinator. I only wish I had posted this earlier so that you wouldn't be in the same situation as me.

[quote name='Abalistar']I'm glad to know this, as when I do finally buy the game, I can probably save a few bucks by getting the non-GOTY.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'm glad we were able to get you the info before you make the purchase.

[quote name='MourningCoffee']Hi Strell. If you could dig up a link where this was discussed, I'd appreciate it as I have not found any prior to this week's weekly ad deals post.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I'd have no idea where to look. This was months ago, and is a vague recollection at best. Sorry.

[quote name='Strell']Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I'd have no idea where to look. This was months ago, and is a vague recollection at best. Sorry.[/QUOTE]
Oh well. It was worth a shot. Thanks anyway for your feedback.

Well I know it had been brought up multiple times in the CoD 4 thread in the 360 section about people not getting the code, I can't say either way for any other thread though.

[quote name='Strell']I thought it was common knowledge that the GOTY edition no longer offered the additional maps. I seem to remember reading in various deal threads that everyone was aware of that. Could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

Though I cant remember exactly where I first saw it, I too remember coming across the info that CoD4 GotY was devoid of maps. That news stuck out to me as I wonder what the hell was the point of a GotY edition if there is nothing special about it other than they gold banner.

So I did some digging in the Xbox 360 COD4 thread and found a link to the following NeoGAF thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340243

(Here is the CAG page where I found the link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144887&highlight=COD4&page=304)

It looks like this change went into effect some time ago but the gaming press never picked up on it. Thanks SlimJim and Hostyl for the tips on where to look. It seems like nobody was upset enough to publicize the highly questionable marketing of this game. That doesn't make it any less distasteful if you ask me.

[quote name='MourningCoffee']So I did some digging in the Xbox 360 COD4 thread and found a link to the following NeoGAF thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340243

(Here is the CAG page where I found the link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144887&highlight=COD4&page=304)

It looks like this change went into effect some time ago but the gaming press never picked up on it. Thanks SlimJim and Hostyl for the tips on where to look. It seems like nobody was upset enough to publicize the highly questionable marketing of this game. That doesn't make it any less distasteful if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem and I don't disagree with you about how little they worked to inform that it was at least only temporary. I still think you are far better off without them though, only one of the maps was decent at times and that was not enough for me to keep them on my hard drive to play them.

[quote name='SlimJim0725']Not that this will make you feel much better, but the maps really aren't that good anyways. I ended up downloading them day 1 and then deleting them off of my hard drive in order to not have to play them again. I know multiple people that I now play with that have done the same, but it still sucks that they did that.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely ridiculous. I know it's opinion, but Chinatown and Creek were great. Killhouse is an absolute blast when playing private matches...

[quote name='mykevermin']Without the variety map pack, what does the GOTY version offer that the standard does not?[/QUOTE]

Apparently, the words "Game of the Year Edition" and shinier cover art. Very misleading indeed.

[quote name='Ronin317']This is absolutely ridiculous. I know it's opinion, but Chinatown and Creek were great. Killhouse is an absolute blast when playing private matches...[/QUOTE]

Everyone I have ever asked regretted buying them as did I. Chinatown and Creek have always been full of campers (not just one or two, entire teams) which bores me even if they aren't good. I wouldn't know about Killhouse, cage matches and private matches are a waste IMO since I always have full groups of people to play with. You are entitled to your opinion of course and who knows, the OP may have enjoyed the maps as well. I was simply stating that I personally don't feel like he lost out on anything by not getting the map pack code.

[quote name='Josef']Apparently, the words "Game of the Year Edition" and shinier cover art. Very misleading indeed.[/QUOTE]

Zounds. Thanks for the info (as well as MC).

This is soopa shitty, but kind of a footnote in the history of things Activision deserves to be kicked in the dick for.

[quote name='SlimJim0725']Everyone I have ever asked regretted buying them as did I. Chinatown and Creek have always been full of campers (not just one or two, entire teams) which bores me even if they aren't good. I wouldn't know about Killhouse, cage matches and private matches are a waste IMO since I always have full groups of people to play with. You are entitled to your opinion of course and who knows, the OP may have enjoyed the maps as well. I was simply stating that I personally don't feel like he lost out on anything by not getting the map pack code.[/QUOTE]

Oh, it's two separate issues for sure - the map code thing blows.

And we'll agree to disagree. Private matches are a rocking good time with a full group some nights, even for just a little bit. We'll do a few matches that are headshots with pistols only, knives only, grenades only...just fun stuff. Depends on the group, you know? Personally, with the amount of time I've spent playing that game, the $10 for the maps has been worth it to add to the mix.

Activision likes to trample over its consumer base. It's seen in every business decision they make and I can't help but be disgusted by them. This particular instance is a bit on the milder side, since I know several threads and come and gone regarding the lack of maps in the CoD4:GOTY, but it still sickens me.

That said, I remember that Infinity Ward would give away the maps to people who got jipped for a while... you just had to email them. I'm not sure if they still do that or not, but you can at least complain to them about how Activision sucks.

[quote name='jkanownik']Send an email to Robert Bowling (link) to complain.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the tip. I sent him an e-mail today. I'll let you all know if he responds.

[quote name='GuardianE']This particular instance is a bit on the milder side, since I know several threads and come and gone regarding the lack of maps in the CoD4:GOTY, but it still sickens me.[/QUOTE]
I can see how you might think that this is a mild offense, but I actually disagree. This kind of marketing tactic is specifically targeted at more casual gamers who are unlikely to ever visit a gaming forum to search for this kind of information. These consumers will think the "Game of the Year" edition is somehow different from the original version of the game and somehow worth more. I see it as predatory and a much worse offense than if one could reasonably expect the consumer to know better.

Hate to play devil's advocate here, but I will for just a second.

It's quite possible it's purely a marketing thing after a while. People were asking "What's the point of calling it the GOTY edition?" Well, to reinforce the idea that it's being marketed as a GOTY for a reason. People who don't know CoD from all the generic shooters out there might look at something being labeled as such because it draws their attention and most likely says "this is a good game, spend your money on me."

In effect it becomes no different from the Player's Choice/Platinum Edition/whatever that console publishers themselves will do from time to time. "This game is so good and sold so much that we're making it quite clear you should really consider it."

On some level, yeah, it's predatory, but meant to be aimed at people who don't follow the industry and wouldn't know anything outside Halo, Madden, and Mario.

Please note I am not up for really arguing about this - I'm merely making a point. I don't actually believe in it myself too much, but I understand it from a marketing position. How many times as a kid were you swayed by something with sparkly covers? Same idea here.

I'll disagree with you Strell, though it's purely a semantic difference.

Here we have "Call a Doodie" (thank you Mickey Rourke)
51%2BFHhHLogL._AA280_.jpg

Here we have, OTOH, Mass Effect:
5131NnRzVUL._AA280_.jpg

Just a "Greatest Hit." Not an "Edition" of any sort.

It's the use of "Edition" on CoD4 that is misleading. Thanks to other titles that use it:

615uRYWr8AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
, for example.

"GOTY Edition" means "new content." GH/PC/PH mean "repackaged to be more ugly than the standard titles and inspired you to buy the originals at a higher MSRP before this happens." Even in Mass Effect's case, which includes DLC on a second disc.

So I'll still say it's misleading. If it went with the individual console's "best seller" packaging and standard, I'd be with you. But it hasn't.

[quote name='Strell']Hate to play devil's advocate here, but I will for just a second.

It's quite possible it's purely a marketing thing after a while. People were asking "What's the point of calling it the GOTY edition?" Well, to reinforce the idea that it's being marketed as a GOTY for a reason. People who don't know CoD from all the generic shooters out there might look at something being labeled as such because it draws their attention and most likely says "this is a good game, spend your money on me."

In effect it becomes no different from the Player's Choice/Platinum Edition/whatever that console publishers themselves will do from time to time. "This game is so good and sold so much that we're making it quite clear you should really consider it."[/QUOTE]

While that's partially true, the draw to those editions is generally a lower price point... this game sold extremely well, and now it's old, so we're celebrating this by integrating it into this cheaper series. Call of Duty 4 was, until very recently, selling at full price.

GOTY is generally reserved for a newer version of a game with newer content, as mentioned above. It's in the same vein of Colonies Edition for Lost Planet or the Refresh that Gears had. Generally, a consumer expects more incentive when a new "edition" is released.

But it wasn't GOTY before some arbitrary point/arbitrary council of gaming elders declaring it so, or however in the hell they can justify it to begin with. Only after those wherever-they-come-from kudos does Activision get the idea that they can call it a GOTY ed.

Edition in this case only identifies it in name, which itself is only a function of marketing, and isn't meant to be something ensaring, but attention grabbing to clueless consumers.

That's my take on it after reading threads in the past where it was fairly well known that the map pack was no longer included. Why'd people suddenly forget it? I mean lots of people knew at that time - I remember clearly.

Another angle: They make the GOTY w/map code. People see that in stores a few months. What happens if they stop producing it with that moniker? Consumers might think it was all a marketing ploy to begin with. Granted this assumes a LOT of attention paid by the average schmoe (waaay above their normal threshhold), which sort of invalidates this entire hypothetical, but it's still something to consider. You can't go back at that point - you've got to still keep pushing GOTY because otherwise you look like a liar and/or your product got worse simply by being out longer.

My larger point here is that we're thinking about this too much as gamers, who are in the know and classify things as X and Y and Z, or X+1 or Sparkly X or X-different-in-packaging-only, or whatever. Can't do that - we're skewing out outlook based on our pedigree. Meanwhile the marketing department at Activision is the equivalent of Snidely Whiplash and knows they'll pump out a few more sales if they use creative wording that no one is going to call them out on.

Nah. Happened w/ Oblivion. The standard version existed, for a time, alongside the GOTY Edition, with the former as a "GH/PH."

As for no longer producing map codes to include in the games, why is that even a plausible option? That's fucking ridiculous.

[quote name='mykevermin']Nah. Happened w/ Oblivion. The standard version existed, for a time, alongside the GOTY Edition, with the former as a "GH/PH." [/quote]

Are they still making standard edition copies? That's the crux we're resting on.

As for no longer producing map codes to include in the games, why is that even a plausible option? That's fucking ridiculous.

Please, myke. Nickel-and-diming is alive and well. You know that.

Maybe this is just how I think. I don't trust "get a download code" promotions generally, don't trust the game's packaging since the people running XBL can ruin that from their sanctums, don't know when expiration dates kick in, etc etc etc. Too many unchecked variables I can't look at until I've paid money and opened it and discovered the scorpions within. Unless I'm getting it during the promotional week it's released, I just count it as a glittery piece of bullshit.

[quote name='Strell']Are they still making standard edition copies? That's the crux we're resting on.[/quote]

http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1244648464&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1244648464&sr=8-1

$2 cheaper for GOTY Edition. Must have less content. ;)

Please, myke. Nickel-and-diming is alive and well. You know that.

Maybe this is just how I think. I don't trust "get a download code" promotions generally, don't trust the game's packaging since the people running XBL can ruin that from their sanctums, don't know when expiration dates kick in, etc etc etc. Too many unchecked variables I can't look at until I've paid money and opened it and discovered the scorpions within. Unless I'm getting it during the promotional week it's released, I just count it as a glittery piece of bullshit.

I get all that. I still think it's super shitty to promote a unique "edition," where the industry standard has been, for those cases where you *have* a GOTY EDITION, to include additional content.

Can you find me another "Game of the Year Edition" where the content is identical to the standard?

Having stock doesn't necessarily indicate they are still being made. You buy all the remaining copies Amazon has and we'll see if they restock, and I'm not going to be convinced until we're five restocks done.

An easier way would be to talk to someone working at a store who'd know the inventory coming in. Do we have someone around here who could do that for us? Would help if manufacturing dates were recorded somewhere as well.

Again, we as gamers say GOTY EDITION = NEW CONTENT. Average person doesn't. And PR knows that.

I'll see if I can find an edition where the content is unchanged. I profess I probably can't, or the example might be out of date.

Question: Does the same thing happen with other media? DVDs would be a good example. After a movie wins a lot of awards or whatever. Does the packaging change but the content not? Does it change with stickers or a full new piece of coverart? I don't have examples on hand, but I wonder if they are out there. And beyond that, are you going to tell me the use of the word "edition" what REALLY gets under everyone's skin, and as long as you just put stickers or claim CRITIC'S CHOICE or whatever = in the clear?

I mean Disney puts out a "new" edition of their animated movies about every other month or so I think, and encourages you to buy it before it goes into their SCARY VAULT, or else you'll never see it again! Which I'll remember the next time we have something like bluray coming down the pipeline...

grr I bought this at Best Buy last night with the assumption that the Goty edition included DLC - just like every other 360 goty edition game ever released.

i feel hosed and i'm a little embarrassed to email fourzerotwo since it looks like people have been complaining about this since october. can you guys keep us updated if you hear anything back from him?

bread's done
Back