Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Obama Care Could Be Deadly

• Please log in to reply
5508 replies to this topic

#2071 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

I brought up his case because it had some interesting aspects to it. I like that he's a rather smart guy who made the fully informed decision that it was better for him to pay for his health care so that he could be assured to get the quality he wanted rather than let the government pay for it and get whatever they felt was best.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#2072 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

right.

because he didn't have access to the same procedure in Canada. Wait, that's not right.

because he had to wait in line. Wait, that's not right.

because he had another procedure recommended. Well, that's right, but that doesn't mean he could not have gotten the less invasive procedure done there.

because the United States developed and perfected this procedure. Wait, that's not right. It was Canada.

What's so "fully-informed" about the decision? What makes it the "best" decision? What makes it a "better" decision? You're risking a tautology here. Is it the best inherently because he chose it or did he chose it because it is the best?

Select and defend your response.
Posted Image

#2073 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

When did he consult the government about what they thought was best? I'm pretty sure he was talking to doctors.

Posted Image

#2074 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

No, they held a gun to his head. And told him he was just getting half a bottle of expired "Triaminic."

And it wasn't even the orange flavour.
Posted Image

#2075 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

right.

because he didn't have access to the same procedure in Canada. Wait, that's not right.

because he had to wait in line. Wait, that's not right.

because he had another procedure recommended. Well, that's right, but that doesn't mean he could not have gotten the less invasive procedure done there.

because the United States developed and perfected this procedure. Wait, that's not right. It was Canada.

What's so "fully-informed" about the decision? What makes it the "best" decision? What makes it a "better" decision? You're risking a tautology here. Is it the best inherently because he chose it or did he chose it because it is the best?

Select and defend your response.

You're right. I bet he risked his life and political career just because he wanted some Miami sunshine. Can say I blamed him... All those Canadians living in igloos.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#2076 SpazX

SpazX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

So you're going with the tautology?

Posted Image

#2077 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

You're right. I bet he risked his life and political career just because he wanted some Miami sunshine. Can say I blamed him... All those Canadians living in igloos.

He is an incredibly popular politician in his province who has built his career - and a sort of really, really wimpy personality cult - on pissing off other parts of the country.

I don't think he's all that worried.

Posted Image

#2078 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:24 AM

Weiner Offends The GOP On House Floor: You’re All ‘Owned’ By The ‘Insurance Industry’! »

Today, the House of Representatives debated the Health Insurance Industry Fair Competition Act, legislation that would repeal the 65 year exemption health insurance companies have from anti-trust regulations.
Speaking on the House floor this afternoon, Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) lambasted Republicans for being “a wholly owned subsidiary of an insurance industry,” prompting an offended Rep. Dan Lungren (R-CA) to lodge a complaint:

WEINER: You guys have chutzpah. The Republican Party is the wholly owned subsidiary of the insurance industry. They say this isn’t going to do enough, but when we propose an alternative to provide competition, they’re against it. They say we want to strengthen state insurance commissioners and they’ll do the job. But when we did that in our national health care bill, they said we’re against it. They said we want to have competition but when we proposed requiring competition they’re against it. They’re a wholly owned subsidiary of the insurance industry. That’s the fact!
LUNGREN: Mr. Speaker I ask that the gentleman’s words be taken down.
WEINER: You really don’t want to go there, Mr. Lungren.

Spoiler

At the end of the debate, the House voted 406-19 to repeal the insurers’ long-held exemption from anti-trust laws.
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#2079 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

Good for Weiner although I am not particularly proud of Democrats for only being the Insurance Companies whores on weekends.

At the end of the debate, the House voted 406-19 to repeal the insurers’ long-held exemption from anti-trust laws.

Watch this die in the Senate.
wahhhhh noone helped me so they must not help anyone. - knoell

#2080 elprincipe

elprincipe

NES > you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:27 AM

Weiner Offends The GOP On House Floor: You’re All ‘Owned’ By The ‘Insurance Industry’! »

Today, the House of Representatives debated the Health Insurance Industry Fair Competition Act, legislation that would repeal the 65 year exemption health insurance companies have from anti-trust regulations.
Speaking on the House floor this afternoon, Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) lambasted Republicans for being “a wholly owned subsidiary of an insurance industry,” prompting an offended Rep. Dan Lungren (R-CA) to lodge a complaint:

WEINER: You guys have chutzpah. The Republican Party is the wholly owned subsidiary of the insurance industry. They say this isn’t going to do enough, but when we propose an alternative to provide competition, they’re against it. They say we want to strengthen state insurance commissioners and they’ll do the job. But when we did that in our national health care bill, they said we’re against it. They said we want to have competition but when we proposed requiring competition they’re against it. They’re a wholly owned subsidiary of the insurance industry. That’s the fact!
LUNGREN: Mr. Speaker I ask that the gentleman’s words be taken down.
WEINER: You really don’t want to go there, Mr. Lungren.

Spoiler

I guess that makes Democrats only mostly-owned subsidiaries:

http://www.campaignm...h_Insurance.asp
I'm for leaving the status quo behind.
Tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...read.php?t=8069
Guide Tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=37143
SSBB friend code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add me and want me to add you!)

#2081 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:31 AM

What really shocks me is how insurance companies are still trying to kill the bill, I suppose they figure drowning them with cash is still drowning them.

#2082 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

What shocks me is how Wellpoint seems to be indirectly trying to support the bill with their massive, highly publicized rate hikes.

WAIT UNTIL AFTER WE KILL IT! YOU KNOW THE RULES!
Posted Image

#2083 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

evidently republicans have said they have a better plan. no words on what those plans are, but they have it!

i kinda wish i could watch this at work, but not really. im sure id just be bored or angry.

Posted Image

#2084 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

The best opening speaker was Senator Lamar Alexander, no doubt. I think he's a great speaker. Anyways, this isn't really interesting, they came up with at least one compromise (undercover patients) but a lot of it has been talking points.
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#2085 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

What shocks me is how Wellpoint seems to be indirectly trying to support the bill with their massive, highly publicized rate hikes.

WAIT UNTIL AFTER WE KILL IT! YOU KNOW THE RULES!

Which are still going through btw:
http://articles.lati...ure24-2010feb24

#2086 fatherofcaitlyn

fatherofcaitlyn

Der Uber Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

You have to understand what a last harvest is.
Synergize, bitches!
Posted Image

#2087 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:45 PM

http://www.whitehous...th-care-meeting

without a teleprompter obama is by a far the most eloquent straight-talker in the room, i really dont get why the right pretends the man can't talk. he can talk. he just has no balls.

#2088 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

http://www.whitehous...th-care-meeting

obama is by a far the most eloquent straight-talker in the room, i really dont get why the right pretends the man can't talk. he can talk. he just has balls.

fixed.

#2089 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

http://crooksandliar...bama-should-hav

#2090 SpazX

SpazX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:28 PM

Fucking Boehner I swear to fucking god.

Posted Image

#2091 Quillion

Quillion

Not Proprietary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

Fucking Boehner I swear to fucking god.

What did Boner say? I'm curious because I live in his district and love extra reasons to vote against him.

<Clever Signature Here>

#2092 SpazX

SpazX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

His comments were probably the most worthless in the whole thing so far. Nothing but talking points. He should get put in the corner for that shit.

Btw, I like how Obama's nametag is slightly bigger than all the others (or at least appears that way).

Posted Image

#2093 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

I actually think Grassley & Boehner might be tied for the most partisan talking point filled comments. Enzi's & Lamar's were the best from the Republicans side (so far) and I thought Durbin's and Kent Conrad's were good from the Democrats side.

EDIT: add Iceman McConnell to Grassley & Boehner's group.

Obama apparently told McCain 'John, the elections over'.

At least McCain has health insurance, to help pay for his burn treatment.

Edited by IRHari, 25 February 2010 - 09:59 PM.
burninating the people

#2094 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

Only caught the last 90 minutes or so.

Seemed pretty pointless with just the same talking points on both sides we've heard for ages.

Only positive I took away (from again only catching the end) is that they want progress by the end of March, and it sounds like pushing it through with 51 votes if they can't compromise and get to 60 may be back on the table.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2095 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

Obama pretty much ended with a challenge for Congress to "shit or get off the pot."

Good to hear.
Posted Image

#2096 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

Yep, that was another positive to see Obama finally getting involved, sticking his neck out and telling them to get something done and quit this stalling bullshit.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2097 SpazX

SpazX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

There was some good stuff, I missed maybe the first 2 hours or so, I think I started watching it around 12. When they just used some talking points Obama at least called them on it so it wasn't just left at that. We'll see how much of an effect it has on both popular opinion and the passage of the bill.

Posted Image

#2098 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

Obama apparently told McCain 'John, the elections over'.

Not for McCain, he faces a Tea-Partier and has to re-establish his conservative cred.

#2099 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

Obama pretty much ended with a challenge for Congress to "shit or get off the pot."

A billion points if he says, "Are you gonna smoke that thing or making love to it?"

Posted Image

#2100 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:27 PM

One question/worry I have though is.....Is it really worth the political fall out to push the bill--in it's current form or something similar--through?

If it was a full on national health care bill with a strong public option I'd say hell yes. Force it through and if it costs dems both houses and makes Obama a one termer, go for it as that's worthwhile change.

But with this gimped bill, I'm not sure it's worth the consequences of being back under republican majorities and having a republican president in Jan 2013, which would probably be the fall out--at least the former. Things might settled down again before the 2012 presidential election.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection