Battlefield 3 - Armored Kill out now

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#31 RedRingOfDeath

RedRingOfDeath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

What, I can go prone in this one (unlike Battlefield BC2)?!!! YES! Thats all I needed to know...

#32 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

If they didn't include 64 players I would have lost it. As long as the game is heavy on urban maps I will be pleased. Strike, Sharqi, and Mash should all be added to the game as well.

Posted Image

#33 AndrewCP

AndrewCP

I'veGotBallsOfSteel!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

Reminds me of the teaser for Terminator Salvation. Anyway yeah I get a Terminator vibe from it and that's not a bad thing. A lot of good looking games coming out in 2011.
Posted Image
Thanks to QiG for the kick-ass Duke Nukem Cocksmas Avatar

#34 metaly

metaly

In the world, only this island is.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

Here's some info from the UK/AU BF3 sites, emphasis added:

Battlefield 3 leaps ahead of the competition with the power of Frostbite™ 2, the next instalment of DICE's cutting-edge game engine. This state-of-the-art technology is the foundation on which Battlefield 3 is built, delivering superior visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and incredibly lifelike character animations. As bullets whiz by, walls crumble, and explosions throw you to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before. In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Paris, Tehran and New York.

KEY FEATURES

Frostbite 2 – Battlefield 3 introduces Frostbite 2, the incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights. Built upon this powerful game engine, Battlefield 3 immerses players physically and emotionally to the world around them like never before.

Feel the Battle — Feel the impact of bullets and explosions, drag your fallen comrades into safety, and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain. Battlefield 3's cutting edge animation, spectacular visuals and real as hell battle gameplay attack your senses and make you feel the visceral warriors experience like no other FPS.

Unparalleled Vehicle Warfare — The best online vehicle warfare experience gets even better with a fitting sonic boom as fighter jets headline impressive lineup of land, air and sea vehicles.

Urban Combat — Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.

Some of that may be just embellishment, but stuff like knocking people down with explosions could be cool. Also "the war of tomorrow"... I'm still hopeful we'll get some fancy toys to play with, even if it's just set 10 years from now. No walkers or anything, but infantry sonar was so, so good.

Edited by metaly, 05 February 2011 - 10:37 PM.

#35 Frogurt.man

Frogurt.man

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

Looks like they are going for a more simulation approach. This might work out well.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 metaly

metaly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

The latest rumor on BF3Blog is that the first map pack is a BF2 tribute and includes four maps, among other stuff. They name Karkand--I'm hoping Gulf of Oman and Wake are among the others if this is true.

Spoiler

The availability details strike me as unusually specific, but we'll see.

#37 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

So, if you don't purchase the special edition you have to pay for the map pack? Ugh. Map packs that cost money are the death of games as it does nothing but divide the community.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#38 metaly

metaly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

Well, I was going to post and say this hasn't been confirmed yet, blah blah, but after looking around it seems like it is legit. This post says the image was hosted for one of EA's online stores and they've since pulled the file. Looks like this is just the latest launch day DLC/preorder scam. Too bad after they made such a big deal about not charging for that first set of BFBC2 maps.

It's a minor consolation, but the PC LE is $50 everywhere I've seen.

#39 AndrewCP

AndrewCP

I'veGotBallsOfSteel!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:28 AM

lol my favorite Middle Easterns are back in BF3! Game is a definite want now!
Posted Image
Thanks to QiG for the kick-ass Duke Nukem Cocksmas Avatar

#40 metaly

metaly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:48 AM

GameInformer scans are up at PS3Blog.net. NeoGAF has some highlights from the article. Here are a few:

-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-PC version is lead version
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frostbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?

4 kits is a controversial choice but I'm fine with it. BF2 had way too many kits if you ask me. 2142 did a smart job of streamlining it.

Definitely going to have to upgrade for this. :hot:

#41 SpeedNut

SpeedNut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:26 AM

Why do they feel the need to dumb down the tools other than to fleece everybody for an extra $30 of DLC? Half of those bastards at DICE have jobs there because they were discovered via the custom maps and mods designed around their games.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 metaly

metaly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:30 AM

Speaking of dumbing down... probably no commander in BF3:

Q: When I think about Battlefield 2, I always come back to the Commander position and the game within the game that arose from having Special Forces objectives. Are those returning in the proper sequel?

A: We could implement it, but the questions is “how do you get the threshold lower?” That’s not by making it more complicated. Our challenge is to make sure that anyone that just jumps into the game will get it. One of the biggest problems with Commander was that only two people could use it. Some people like it but most people didn’t care. They just cared that someone gave them an order or that their squad could play together having fun on their own more or less. Then the most hardcore people went into the Commander mode and learned how to use that. You could argue it was a great feature, but looking at the number you could also say that no one uses it. We tried in Bad Company 2 to give that t players, so you could issue orders to your squad, and you could use gadgets like the UAV that only the commander could use earlier — giving the power back to the players so everyone could use it. That made a big difference. More people could enjoy the game. We lowered the threshold for everyone because we gave it to everyone. We now know the boundaries are for keeping the strategic depth and complexity while lowering the threshold to get in.

Fuck you, DICE! I agree 100000% with BF3Blog's response to DICE lamenting that almost no one used it... Because there was only one on a team! That was the entire point!

If they say they're doing four-man squads and no squad leaders again, I'm going to flip out.

#43 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

-More unlocks than BFBC2

This doesnt matter if they make the unlock system just as terrible as BFBC2 was. You can unlock every gun in the game by the time you're like level 22. 23 full levels of nothing. They need to learn how to space out unlocks.

Game looks good and all, but I've played through WAY too many BF games at launch. I'll be waiting until a handful of patches are out to fix whats sure to be a large amount of bugs before I purchase this.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#44 Puffa469

Puffa469

is too Pro Shops

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

This doesnt matter if they make the unlock system just as terrible as BFBC2 was. You can unlock every gun in the game by the time you're like level 22. 23 full levels of nothing. They need to learn how to space out unlocks.

If they space out unlocks across all the levels then they have to lower the XP requirements to reach max level. I don't want to have to play 30 days just to unlock the best assualt rifle or whatever.

Doing that only rewards hardcore players and alienates casual types, and that doesn't help the game grow its userbase.

Originally Posted by wubb Posted Image
Puffa is pretty much always dead on.

#45 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

Game looks good and all, but I've played through WAY too many BF games at launch. I'll be waiting until a handful of patches are out to fix whats sure to be a large amount of bugs before I purchase this.

I'd just prefer to get the guns ASAP. If, like in BC2, you've got these pure upgrades at the end of the unlock ladder it sucks for newbies.

Speaking of dumbing down... probably no commander in BF3:

Fuck you, DICE! I agree 100000% with BF3Blog's response to DICE lamenting that almost no one used it... Because there was only one on a team! That was the entire point!

If they say they're doing four-man squads and no squad leaders again, I'm going to flip out.

Indeed, leaders was awesome shit and if they dumb that down I'm gonna be pretty unhappy.

#46 metaly

metaly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Lame, the PC limited edition jumped up to $60. No listings for a standard edition yet. I'll probably get the LE anyway because of the BF2 maps, but I'm waiting for it to show up on Steam.

Also, here's a gameplay teaser.

#47 SuperTongue

SuperTongue

CAG Creeper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:08 AM

Lame, the PC limited edition jumped up to $60. No listings for a standard edition yet. I'll probably get the LE anyway because of the BF2 maps, but I'm waiting for it to show up on Steam.

Also, here's a gameplay teaser.

If it's anything like the past few EA games, the limited edition is simply the game before and shortly after launch. A few weeks later, shipments without the codes for the DLC will be out and will just be a "regular" edition for the same price of $60.
Posted Image

Posted Image

:3ds: 3DS Friend Code: 4167 - 4522 - 4223

#48 metaly

metaly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

A DICE employee confirmed the returning BF2 maps are Wake, Karkand, Gulf of Oman, and Sharqi Peninsula. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would liked to revisit Mashtuur City, but this is a really solid lineup.

No word yet on Sidi Power Plant or Minsk. :)

#49 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

God dammit. . .no matter how much I hate them for dropping the ball on BC2 support, I can't say no to more Karkand, Wake, and Gulf of 'OH MAN!'

I will be sucked. :\

#50 Amblix

Amblix

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

Fucking great trailer, can't wait.

#51 Necrozilla

Necrozilla

meeeeeeeeeeeeep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

A DICE employee confirmed the returning BF2 maps are Wake, Karkand, Gulf of Oman, and Sharqi Peninsula. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would liked to revisit Mashtuur City, but this is a really solid lineup.

No word yet on Sidi Power Plant or Minsk. :)

Which one had the aircraft carrier?

(()) wOOpwOOp That's the sound of a trade: >>CML<< (())

PS3 & 360 games @ ☆ Want Halo 4 ☆ plz
10% CAG discount Vs. ebay listings!

#52 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

Which one had the aircraft carrier?

Oman and Wake.

#53 bg88

bg88

Michael Mann fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:17 AM

I don't know what it was about the newest teaser but I find it to be awesome. Even though I've had to adjust my expectations for the main Battlefield series I am still very excited for this game. I'll have to get Windows 7 and probably get some more ram mainly for this game. DICE always knows how to get me excited for the Battlefield games for PC.

I think it also helps that the newest teaser gave me a Terminator vibe with the music. Getting Sharqi, Gulf of Oman, Wake Island, and the beast (Karkand) again sounds pretty good to me. I don't know if I would ever get tired of playing at Karkand. :whee:
Posted Image

#54 gamerpro4000

gamerpro4000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:40 AM

i hope BF3 is going be like BF2 but with destructibility and gaphics or better than bad company 2. and they better keep the PLA as a playable side. Salute to Mother of CHINA!!!!!!!

P.S. ill never under stand why people like modern warfare over battlefield so much. i like battle field because ther is more variety and more possibilities and veriables to take account of life or death.

Kaine.jpg

Currently own a PS3 and a Computer Rig:
Core i7 950, 6Gb DDR3 Corsair, Nvidia GTX 780, 60GB OCZ SSD

#55 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

i hope BF3 is going be like BF2 but with destructibility and gaphics or better than bad company 2. and they better keep the PLA as a playable side. Salute to Mother of CHINA!!!!!!!

P.S. ill never under stand why people like modern warfare over battlefield so much. i like battle field because ther is more variety and more possibilities and veriables to take account of life or death.

Two different games. COD is close-quarters, fast combat. Battlefield is a slower, more tactical game. Both have their places.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#56 gamerpro4000

gamerpro4000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

GameInformer scans are up at PS3Blog.net. NeoGAF has some highlights from the article. Here are a few:

4 kits is a controversial choice but I'm fine with it. BF2 had way too many kits if you ask me. 2142 did a smart job of streamlining it.

Definitely going to have to upgrade for this. :hot:

Nah i completly disagree with the kits. i hated the kits in BFBC2 because having multiple kits mixing in one requires less teamwork in a way. I like how BF2 had support and game out ammo to give out covering fire and how medic isnt over powered like in BC2 a person who can heal and carry a mechine gun with 200 rounds? and the engineer is too op in BC2 a tank killer and an infantry killer. that smg is op in CQC and mid distance. I usually get 3 to 1 K/D with my engineer.

Considering this game is going to be 64 player map and if i am correct having 4-5 people in a squad it would make more sense to have more kit variety.

P.S. dont worry about the consol version dumbing down the PC version. I did some research and dice said they are going to put extra polish on the PC version to prevent crappy ports.

I beleive BF3 can be fast combat and CQC if they just made more maps in cities and of course the squad leaders dont jsut rush and get killed so thier teammates cant spawn in the middle of the battlefield. its insane if both sides fight for one spot in conquest mode. tanks, heli, jets infantry every out to get you especially if its 64 players?! that is still fast combat to me.

i like COD i just didnt like how some one can run and gun so easily and if a person zooms in and spray its almost an automatic kill.

Kaine.jpg

#57 gamerpro4000

gamerpro4000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

Hey guys check this out scans about BF3 from a magazine. http://inserg.com/ga...efield-3-scans/

I am sure glad my computer is ready to run this baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi2tae2PmmU

Edited by gamerpro4000, 28 February 2011 - 11:01 AM.

Kaine.jpg

#58 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:48 AM

trailer looks bitchin, but then again you don't get a clear picture of it.

Love how the guy on the boxart has Magpul MBUS and an eotech. Surprised it's not a better stock. Standard Telescoping stocks are a PITA

#59 metaly

metaly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:45 AM

Here's some extended single player footage, if you're into that.

#60 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

Wow, that looks gorgeous.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg