Battlefield 3 - Armored Kill out now

metaly

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Yeah, that's right.

Zero details for now, but we have our first official mention. It can't come out soon enough! And for PC this time, please!

Criterion Games working on a Need For Speed game wasn't the only surprising bit of news that Electronic Arts chief operating office John Pleasants tucked into his presentation at the William Blair Growth Stock Conference I listened to today. Pleasants confirmed he's seen DICE's work on Battlefield 3.
"I've had the luxury of looking at Battlefield 3 over at DICE in Sweden and was highly impressed by the way the team is working on that product," he said. "Of course, that's not [coming out] in the fiscal year, but that is a product that is looking very good."
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696413/Electronic-Arts-Confirms-Battlefield-3-In-Development.html

2.4.11 - new teaser trailer (thanks Necrozilla)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbWGF-vrIgU

Announcement post on the Battlefield blog.

Battlefield 3 is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign – all straight out of the box. As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound? All this built with our powerful new game engine Frostbite 2, which you'll hear and see a lot of in the months leading up to launch. For the full reveal on Battlefield 3, stay tuned for links to our cover stories hitting the gaming press throughout February, starting with Game Informer right now.

Battlefield 3 will release this Fall. You can preorder the Battlefield 3 Limited Edition at www.battlefield.com now. The exact contents of the Limited Edition will be revealed around GDC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. BF1942 is one of my favorite PC games. BF2, not so much, but it's still pretty fun.

Wish list:

-At least 64 players per server
-Crazy, unforgettable maps like BF42's Midway and Battle of Britain
-Larger maps better suited for combined arms warfare and high-speed jets
-Cooler vehicles (AC-130, aerial spawn points, heavy bombers, large naval units...pretty much everything in BF42/DC)
-Cut the bloat and unresponsiveness from the server browser and menus

It about damn time DICE!. Now I usually don't get too upset when games that were once PC exclusive come out out for consoles, it's all about money and the bottom line. BUT if this game isn't a PC exclusive I am going to shit my pants. Consoles already get the console-developed Bad Company 2 and 1943, and PC gets Battlefield Heroes (OH YAY). Battlefield 2 sold really well, there is no good reason to bring this to consoles.

I think Bad Company 2 is coming out for PC. What I meant by what I said is that both Bad Company and 1943 are developed specifically for consoles, if BF3 is like that I am going to be pissed.

[quote name='cgarb84']I think Bad Company 2 is coming out for PC. What I meant by what I said is that both Bad Company and 1943 are developed specifically for consoles, if BF3 is like that I am going to be pissed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you meant, hopefully they'll go the BF2 route if at all a port. I'd hate to see the whole series suffer due to a console release.

I very much doubt this would be multiplatform. The BF community would lose their shit. They've got 1943 and Bad Company for multiplatform BF.

Looking forward to some epic battles. I never did get into BF2 because I heard really discouraging things about people who would plant C4 on a jet and would blow it up if a team memeber got to it before them.

It seemed like an "elites only" kinda game. The kind where bunny hopping and knowing the glitches would determine who was the winner. Oh well, maybe I just need to stop being a pansy, lol.

I think I may be the only one who is actually kinda looking forward to BF1943 and BF:BC2. Sure it's not the "REAL" battlefield experience, but I think they look fun regardless.

Never had the machinery to run BF and I am didn't buy BF2 because I don't know if anyone plays it still.

Now with that said if BF3 is like BF2 (not that BC, or 1943 shit), a true battlefield game, I am day one getting this.

I don't have anything against 1943 or Bad Company, in fact I will most likely buy them both. They are different experiences than the PC titles but that doesn't make them bad in my eyes. I just love BF2 so damn much that I am going to be pissed if BF3 is anything but a new refined BF2.

Battlefield 2, is still HUGE on pc, once in a while I log in, to play a couple matches, and there are lots of servers always available , with lots of people there playing!How can that game be improved, is beyond me.....

BF2 is still filled with people playing on many servers.
I play it all the time, since i lost interessed in COD4.
If you like epic battles, big maps, time to spare then this is your game.
You can get now the complete game for little money i think. But graphic is somewhat dated.
And physics is different too, but you learn quick.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Never had the machinery to run BF and I am didn't buy BF2 because I don't know if anyone plays it still.

Now with that said if BF3 is like BF2 (not that BC, or 1943 shit), a true battlefield game, I am day one getting this.[/QUOTE]

They're giving out BF3 beta invites with the Medal of Honor limited edition:

Get Access to the Battlefield 3 Beta

Want to be among the first to get hands-on with Battlefield 3? If you own Medal of Honor Limited Edition you will receive an invitation to the Battlefield 3 beta within 12-months following the release of Medal of Honor.

Battlefield 3 Beta Details

Beta offer is contingent on Beta availability within 12 months of Medal of Honor release. Beta will be available for a limited time only and offer expires upon close of Beta events. Participation in Beta requires acceptance of Beta Agreement. Must be 18+. Xbox GOLD membership required for Xbox users. Check this site for further details when available.
Also, judging from Xbox Live being mentioned in the terms, it sounds like BF3 will be on consoles as well. Don't fuck this up, DICE. :bomb:

nice find metaly, I guess we know for sure that Battlefield 3 may be releasing in the next year or at least the beta at the very least.

They're trying everything to get people to buy that shitty game. Personally, after BC2 and MOH both being pretty mediocre, I'm not too excited for BF3.

[quote name='SEH']They're trying everything to get people to buy that shitty game. Personally, after BC2 and MOH both being pretty mediocre, I'm not too excited for BF3.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself, I thought it was pretty great. MoH is just BC2 without anything that made BC2 good.

Same here about BC2, I love it. May skip out on MOH straight to BF3 but I'll wait it out and see. I'd be interested in playing as the Middle Eastern dudes.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']BF3 on consoles? fuck[/QUOTE]

Yep same feelings here. Really DICE, you couldn't just let us the keep the "main" Battlefield franchise on PC, REALLY??? fuckers, I like how consoles nowadays get MORE Battlefield games than the PC does. Oh well, at least I can go back to playing BF1943 on my PC oh wait.......

BF3 got a brief mention in Eurogamer's interview with Patrick Soderlund, EA VP and former DICE CEO. There aren't any specific details, but I can't resist reposting:

Eurogamer: How's development on Battlefield 3 going?
Patrick Soderlund: It's going well. I'm very happy with what we have and I'm really excited about showing it to the world because we have something that is going to be very, very cool.

Eurogamer: When will you show it?
Patrick Soderlund: You'll see. You'll know probably sooner than I will. You are going to be able to see it in the not too distant future. The marketing guys would kill me if I told you when.

Eurogamer: The Battlefield franchise now is massive. What's next for Bad Company?
Patrick Soderlund: Battlefield 3 will be seen as a true sequel to Battlefield 2. But considering the success of Bad Company, we haven't buried that at all. It's something we're looking at what to do with.
But right now we're focused on making the best possible game for consumers to enjoy, and that's obviously Battlefield 3.

I'm anxious to know what DICE considers it is that sets BF2 apart from the BC series. The first things that come to mind when I think Bad Company are destructible environments and scaled-down gameplay, so hopefully BF3 will again feature the 48+ (or at least 32+) player maps. I don't see them removing environmental destruction, although I don't think I'd miss it.

battlefield_3_cover.jpg

Video preview coming tomorrow, supposedly. "DICE sets its sights on Call of Duty" makes me extremely worried.

Also R.I.P. 1943 PC. I'm sure nobody saw that coming!

That teaser gives off such a near future/2142-ish vibe, but that's clearly not what's going on. Oh well. I'll love it if the game has a blue palette, though, like Acre in Assassin's Creed. No more sand!

Thanks for posting that.

Update: Announcement post from the Battlefield blog:

Battlefield 3 is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign – all straight out of the box. As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound? All this built with our powerful new game engine Frostbite 2, which you'll hear and see a lot of in the months leading up to launch. For the full reveal on Battlefield 3, stay tuned for links to our cover stories hitting the gaming press throughout February, starting with Game Informer right now.

Battlefield 3 will release this Fall. You can preorder the Battlefield 3 Limited Edition at www.battlefield.com now. The exact contents of the Limited Edition will be revealed around GDC.

Love that prone is a headlining feature.

If they didn't include 64 players I would have lost it. As long as the game is heavy on urban maps I will be pleased. Strike, Sharqi, and Mash should all be added to the game as well.

Reminds me of the teaser for Terminator Salvation. Anyway yeah I get a Terminator vibe from it and that's not a bad thing. A lot of good looking games coming out in 2011.

Here's some info from the UK/AU BF3 sites, emphasis added:

Battlefield 3 leaps ahead of the competition with the power of Frostbite™ 2, the next instalment of DICE's cutting-edge game engine. This state-of-the-art technology is the foundation on which Battlefield 3 is built, delivering superior visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and incredibly lifelike character animations. As bullets whiz by, walls crumble, and explosions throw you to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before. In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Paris, Tehran and New York.

KEY FEATURES

Frostbite 2 – Battlefield 3 introduces Frostbite 2, the incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights. Built upon this powerful game engine, Battlefield 3 immerses players physically and emotionally to the world around them like never before.

Feel the Battle — Feel the impact of bullets and explosions, drag your fallen comrades into safety, and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain. Battlefield 3's cutting edge animation, spectacular visuals and real as hell battle gameplay attack your senses and make you feel the visceral warriors experience like no other FPS.

Unparalleled Vehicle Warfare — The best online vehicle warfare experience gets even better with a fitting sonic boom as fighter jets headline impressive lineup of land, air and sea vehicles.

Urban Combat — Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.

Some of that may be just embellishment, but stuff like knocking people down with explosions could be cool. Also "the war of tomorrow"... I'm still hopeful we'll get some fancy toys to play with, even if it's just set 10 years from now. No walkers or anything, but infantry sonar was so, so good.

The latest rumor on BF3Blog is that the first map pack is a BF2 tribute and includes four maps, among other stuff. They name Karkand--I'm hoping Gulf of Oman and Wake are among the others if this is true.

bf3limitededition.jpg

The availability details strike me as unusually specific, but we'll see.

So, if you don't purchase the special edition you have to pay for the map pack? Ugh. Map packs that cost money are the death of games as it does nothing but divide the community.

Well, I was going to post and say this hasn't been confirmed yet, blah blah, but after looking around it seems like it is legit. This post says the image was hosted for one of EA's online stores and they've since pulled the file. Looks like this is just the latest launch day DLC/preorder scam. Too bad after they made such a big deal about not charging for that first set of BFBC2 maps.

It's a minor consolation, but the PC LE is $50 everywhere I've seen.

GameInformer scans are up at PS3Blog.net. NeoGAF has some highlights from the article. Here are a few:

-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-PC version is lead version
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frostbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
4 kits is a controversial choice but I'm fine with it. BF2 had way too many kits if you ask me. 2142 did a smart job of streamlining it.

Definitely going to have to upgrade for this. :hot:

Why do they feel the need to dumb down the tools other than to fleece everybody for an extra $30 of DLC? Half of those bastards at DICE have jobs there because they were discovered via the custom maps and mods designed around their games.

Speaking of dumbing down... probably no commander in BF3:

Q: When I think about Battlefield 2, I always come back to the Commander position and the game within the game that arose from having Special Forces objectives. Are those returning in the proper sequel?

A: We could implement it, but the questions is “how do you get the threshold lower?” That’s not by making it more complicated. Our challenge is to make sure that anyone that just jumps into the game will get it. One of the biggest problems with Commander was that only two people could use it. Some people like it but most people didn’t care. They just cared that someone gave them an order or that their squad could play together having fun on their own more or less. Then the most hardcore people went into the Commander mode and learned how to use that. You could argue it was a great feature, but looking at the number you could also say that no one uses it. We tried in Bad Company 2 to give that t players, so you could issue orders to your squad, and you could use gadgets like the UAV that only the commander could use earlier — giving the power back to the players so everyone could use it. That made a big difference. More people could enjoy the game. We lowered the threshold for everyone because we gave it to everyone. We now know the boundaries are for keeping the strategic depth and complexity while lowering the threshold to get in.
fuck you, DICE! I agree 100000% with BF3Blog's response to DICE lamenting that almost no one used it... Because there was only one on a team! That was the entire point!

If they say they're doing four-man squads and no squad leaders again, I'm going to flip out.

-More unlocks than BFBC2
This doesnt matter if they make the unlock system just as terrible as BFBC2 was. You can unlock every gun in the game by the time you're like level 22. 23 full levels of nothing. They need to learn how to space out unlocks.

Game looks good and all, but I've played through WAY too many BF games at launch. I'll be waiting until a handful of patches are out to fix whats sure to be a large amount of bugs before I purchase this.

[quote name='SEH']This doesnt matter if they make the unlock system just as terrible as BFBC2 was. You can unlock every gun in the game by the time you're like level 22. 23 full levels of nothing. They need to learn how to space out unlocks.
[/QUOTE]

If they space out unlocks across all the levels then they have to lower the XP requirements to reach max level. I don't want to have to play 30 days just to unlock the best assualt rifle or whatever.

Doing that only rewards hardcore players and alienates casual types, and that doesn't help the game grow its userbase.

[quote name='SEH']This doesnt matter if they make the unlock system just as terrible as BFBC2 was. You can unlock every gun in the game by the time you're like level 22. 23 full levels of nothing. They need to learn how to space out unlocks.

Game looks good and all, but I've played through WAY too many BF games at launch. I'll be waiting until a handful of patches are out to fix whats sure to be a large amount of bugs before I purchase this.[/QUOTE]

I'd just prefer to get the guns ASAP. If, like in BC2, you've got these pure upgrades at the end of the unlock ladder it sucks for newbies.

[quote name='metaly']Speaking of dumbing down... probably no commander in BF3:

fuck you, DICE! I agree 100000% with BF3Blog's response to DICE lamenting that almost no one used it... Because there was only one on a team! That was the entire point!

If they say they're doing four-man squads and no squad leaders again, I'm going to flip out.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, leaders was awesome shit and if they dumb that down I'm gonna be pretty unhappy.

Lame, the PC limited edition jumped up to $60. No listings for a standard edition yet. I'll probably get the LE anyway because of the BF2 maps, but I'm waiting for it to show up on Steam.

Also, here's a gameplay teaser.

[quote name='metaly']Lame, the PC limited edition jumped up to $60. No listings for a standard edition yet. I'll probably get the LE anyway because of the BF2 maps, but I'm waiting for it to show up on Steam.

Also, here's a gameplay teaser.[/QUOTE]

If it's anything like the past few EA games, the limited edition is simply the game before and shortly after launch. A few weeks later, shipments without the codes for the DLC will be out and will just be a "regular" edition for the same price of $60.

A DICE employee confirmed the returning BF2 maps are Wake, Karkand, Gulf of Oman, and Sharqi Peninsula. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would liked to revisit Mashtuur City, but this is a really solid lineup.

No word yet on Sidi Power Plant or Minsk. :)

God dammit. . .no matter how much I hate them for dropping the ball on BC2 support, I can't say no to more Karkand, Wake, and Gulf of 'OH MAN!'

I will be sucked. :\

bread's done
Back