Blockbuster - $10 Unlimited Rentals

MeesterPepe

CAGiversary!
I walked into my local Blockbuster Video yesterday and discovered that they are doing a promotion through 9/6/09 called 'Summer! Escape Pass.'

Pay $10 and get unlimited rentals for games (and movies) for one week. You may only have one game or movie out at a time. There is no restriction on how many times you may buy this pass.

I figure, since I have nothing else to do, I'm going to be able to blast through at least 3 games in one week making this a fantastic deal. Normally game rentals are $8 so if you only play two games you're saving at least $6.

http://www.blockbuster.com/bargains
Use the 'Find a Store' to see if a Blockbuster is near you.

i saw this last night and thought it was a rip-off -- though i guess it's a matter of perspective. if i was still in college or high-school i can see how $10 would lead to a week of gaming goodness. But since I work full time it's not really a deal.

If you have all day during the week to play games then this is a nice deal, unfortunately it's practically worthless for me.

I would imagine that you also still need a credit card to rent games for the 360, Wii, and PS3, which also limits the appeal of this deal, at least for those of us who don't have a credit card.

[quote name='Nionel']I would imagine that you also still need a credit card to rent games for the 360, Wii, and PS3, which also limits the appeal of this deal, at least for those of us who don't have a credit card.[/QUOTE]

This

would this include blurays? couldn't one just rent, register at sonystyle for the points and then return game after game? I guess it's probably not worth it unless you live next door to one....

I realize that this deal will only appeal to a certain set of people, namely those who live near Blockbuster and have tons of free time.

[quote name='Nionel']I would imagine that you also still need a credit card to rent games for the 360, Wii, and PS3, which also limits the appeal of this deal, at least for those of us who don't have a credit card.[/QUOTE]

If you're over 18 it's definitely time to get a credit credit. Use it responsibly and start building a credit history now.

I for one think the Pass is pretty cool. I had problems with Gamefly in the mail. Right now there's just not that many games I would want to rent though.

I refuse to ever step foot into a Blockbuster again. The epitome of bad service in my region of Texas.

A good deal if you have lots of free time and no games though. Friend of mine has been using it, he's blowing through game after game on his new PS3.

I love Gamefly, but $10 for a week is not bad if you have the time. You can play a new title for a few hours and return it to get another same day. You could seriously knock out short games like Ghostbusters and Mirror's Edge with no problem. If I did not have the wife and kids for a week, I'd be on this.

maybe you could put "per week" in the title?

It could be a good deal for a certain kind of gamer - someone who is out of school for summer, doesn't have any other responsibilities, and has easy access (either can drive to, or is within walking distance of) a Blockbuster. A good way to try out several titles, but not enough time to play through them for most people.

[quote name='plutoknight']I refuse to ever step foot into a Blockbuster again. The epitome of bad service in my region of Texas. [/QUOTE]
Ditto for me. Dallas?

[quote name='guessed']maybe you could put "per week" in the title?
[/QUOTE]
I already heard about this deal on the radio, and stopped in the thread to say the same thing- you need to put "per week" in the title. That's a key piece of information that you're leaving out.

$10 a week is $40 a month. GameFly is only 22 bucks and you can still get free trials and other deals. This is not a bargain for any reason plus Blockbuster has an awful selection. BOO!

Yeah, I saw this too at my store in Seattle but I agree that it is not worth it for me. Gamefly seems to be the best bet if I want to rent games. Besides, game deals are plentiful and I'd rather own than rent.

Blockbusters in my area have it to where I believe it's $22 a month and you get a game/movie pass. I don't care about customer service usually, as I don't need help. The problem I have with Blockbuster is selection. Usually they don't get enough of the titles that matter (Left 4 Dead) and since I'm near several colleges, they're usually checked out all the time.

Gamefly is not an option for me because, well, they're horrible. I tried the free trial and never got the games. Then I had to go through the trouble of canceling and explaining to them they never even sent me the games.

maybe you could put "per week" in the title?

I agree the title should be changed and i think its a little expensive, if they ran a promotion 39.99 or something for the whole summer then that would be a little more interesting to me. Its not really worth it to me because i work 2 jobs!! :)

Much like BBV, Gamefly is hit and miss with their experience. It is usually about a week turnaround for me to get a game through them, which is just not good enough. Not worth it when I can just hit up BBV and grab whatever I want. If I don't like it, it can go back and I can be playing a new game within 15 minutes.

This ten bucks a week thing is too steep though. Just double the price and get the in store pass for an entire month.

The fact that there's only 1 Blockbuster within 5 miles of me, which happens to have a crap selection, makes this a no sale. Plus, for me, I like to rent games that I can play for the week (week long rental IIRC for $8) and of course there's no late fees, so I'd be paying$2.00 too much for my rental. Looks like it only benefits those folks that want to rack up some achievements, and have the spare time to blow through a different game each day.

I pay $30 a month for 2 movies/games anyways sooo this deal is horrible.

Not very many good games and movies have been coming out lately so I think Im going to drop down to 1 movie/game a month for $22.

[quote name='Monroeski']Ditto for me. Dallas?[/QUOTE]
Close, up north near Sherman.

Way back in the late 90s, my family and I, who used to use Blockbuster extensively for game rentals, kept getting overcharged for games we brought back on time. Not to mention the people who work there are generally rude -- managers et. al -- their game selection has gone to crap in the past 6-7 years, and they always find a reason to screw you over.

I go to Hastings exclusively now. I've yet to have a problem with them.

The last time I stepped foot in a blockbuster was during a b1g1 where GTA was 14.99. Well, it was, until the manager feigned that GTA4 wasn't on sale used, on sale used for that price, or that they didn't have it in the disc drawer (despite them being 4 empty cases with "USED GAME" on them for sale in the USED game section).

/end rant.

Seen posters advertising this but didn't really think it was a deal. I guess the only way I would do it is if I had a week off and wanted to power through some games real fast. (FEAR 2, Riddick, Prototype)

[quote name='daminion']i saw this last night and thought it was a rip-off -- though i guess it's a matter of perspective. if i was still in college or high-school i can see how $10 would lead to a week of gaming goodness. But since I work full time it's not really a deal.[/QUOTE]

This. But thanks for the post, OP.

[quote name='life.exe']Just getting Gamefly would be a better deal imo.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, $23/month>>>>>>>$10/week

If anyone actually does this for more than a week, they are pretty stupid. But I still think it's a pretty good deal if you have a week of vacation or something. Or if you're a parent, and your kids have a week until they go to summer camp or something. Yeah, $25 a month is obviously a better deal, but what if you only need a week, and the other three weeks you have no time to rent anything? That's $15 down the drain.

I feel like a shill for saying this, since I work for Hollywood, but...

$10 a week is the same about $40 a month.
For $40 a month, you can get the Diamond Powerplay at HW, which is the same except that you can have 3 things out at a time (2 of which can be games).

i walked in and though WOW A GREAT DEAL but then read the fine print ... PER WEEK

you can get

1 movie or game for 21.98 per month
or 2 at a time (movies for 30 or games for 35)

Sorry but this is just a major rip up the #$#$#$# blockbuster is trying to pull

your better off going the monthly route

I think most people are not realizing this is mainly for movies. Average movie is like 1 1/2 hours, so you could get through a LOT of movies that way in 1 week. The gaming part of it isn't as good of a deal, though.

10 bucks can get you a decent enough game to keep. even then this isnt the best deal ive ever seen on rentals. hollywood video used to do a deal where you could rent any 2 movies or games anytime you wanted for 20 bucks a month. now that was a deal.

I have to admit that pushing that $10 per week is a bit much if you planned on doing this week after week. I did this, and it was a great deal for me (but for very specific reasons).

Here's some additional information:
(1) 2 at a time is $15 for the week, but that really only saves the trouble of having to go back to blockbuster or if you have multiple people with multiple TVs using this program.
(2) You can get DVDs/games/Blu Rays with this deal
(3) When the week expires you still get to keep the last item you had through the normal rental period (ie, pick up something new on the last day and keep it for nearly 10 days without penalty)
(4) Although a credit card is required to rent games, the $10/week can be paid in cash or credit. It doesn't renew automatically, which is a huge bonus for me.

Some other reasons to do this:
(1) 360voice.com gamerscore competition
(2) gamerscore/trophies, in general
(3) You want to try out a bunch of games before making purchases
(3) You were already planning on renting a movie and a game while you're at the store. It's cheaper than that, and you can get more movies/games.

In the week I had the plan I:
(1) Finished Terminator Salvation (easy 1000)
(2) Finished Lost: Via Domus (easy 1000)
(3) Played a bit of Matt Hazard (easy, but got bored of it)
(4) Played through all 4 instrument careers in Guitar Hero: Metallica
(5) Watched Gran Tourino on Blu-Ray
(6) Rented X-Men Origins: Wolverine on the final day to play for the next week.

If I could keep up this pace the monthly deal would be better, but the 360voice competition I was in meant I only needed this for a week. Not a bad deal.

I'm from Sherman, TX. I actually used to work at both Hastings and Blockbuster. There's little chance I would do business with anything used or pre played at Hastings. I've seen the type of people who go in and out all day, no way they take care of their stuff. Generally speaking.

I did the 2 at a time for 15 a couple weeks ago. Great for me since I just borrowed a Wii and needed to check out as many games as possible. Too bad their selection of launch titles was virtually nonexistent. I think I tried out 12 games during that time.

[quote name='Darksied']I think most people are not realizing this is mainly for movies. Average movie is like 1 1/2 hours, so you could get through a LOT of movies that way in 1 week. The gaming part of it isn't as good of a deal, though.[/QUOTE]

still though it only works if your within walking distance of a blockbuster...

yea if i had one down the block from me..

2 at a time for 15 movies..

Go at 10am Pick up 2 movies ... Watch them take them back at 6 or 7pm watch them and repeat

4 movies per day. x 7 days

28 movies for 15 bucks.... so little less then 50 cents a movie...

now if you did not have anything do to and can stay home all day

10am pick up movies.... watch them till 2 pm Turn them around pick up 2 movies turn at 6pm watch 2 movies

6 movies per day x 7 days 42 movies for 15 bucks almost 33 cents per movie .....

i might do that if i was within walking distance

I am still on the fence. I will check what they have in stock to see if it is worth it. If they have a small selection of games, I will pass, otherwise I will try it out for a week.

Out of school, and with no jobs calling back yet, I have plenty of time. I could probably beat a game in 2 days and return it, allowing me to get 4 rentals in a week. And at $2.50 a game rental, that is a good deal.

[quote name='polishpride212']I am still on the fence. I will check what they have in stock to see if it is worth it. If they have a small selection of games, I will pass, otherwise I will try it out for a week.

Out of school, and with no jobs calling back yet, I have plenty of time. I could probably beat a game in 2 days and return it, allowing me to get 4 rentals in a week. And at $2.50 a game rental, that is a good deal.[/QUOTE]

Gotta love those 8 day weeks, Professor.

bread's done
Back