Retro Gen - Portable Genesis - Preorders $40 @ Gamesboro.net

anji2128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
A good friend of mine who owns a video game store in Statesboro, GA is getting in some new Sega Genesis consoles distributed through Innex. I could sit and try to explain everything to you, but I'll let his post from over at Sega-16 do the talking.

"I finally confirmed pricing with Innex so our preorder is officially up and running on the Retrogen system.

It is actually LESS than I thought it was going to be, $40.00 in fact!

Retrogen preorder

Our site is relatively new, and I'm hoping that the Sega-16 community will support us. We focus on classic gaming, and try to get hard to find items. Over the next couple of days you are going to see more and more items appear on the site. This is our first big preorder move so we are hoping that it is very successfull, it is also the lowest price to be found anywhere on this unit!

Feel free to stop by http://www.gamesboro.net as well and see what our community is up too.

If you have any questions you can PM me or send an email to [email protected] "

He's a pretty cool guy and he's legit. If you have any further questions to ask me feel free to do so.

retrogen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Site's not a scam. Gamesboro is a B&M store here in Statesboro across from the Georgia Southern campus. The url (gsubooks) is from the bookstore that Gamesboro was originally a branch of before the bookstore was bought out. Since then, Gamesboro has acquired the webspace and is currently in the process of moving everything over.
Feel free to sign up at the forums at gamesboro.net and ask any questions you might have or e-mail the owner (Britt Bottoms) via the e-mail provided in the intial post.

In response to the Retrogen being "expensive," I say that's far from the case. The original Genesis portable the Nomad is upwards of 60+ dollars on Amazon currently (link), and it's not region free to my knowledge.

If there's anything else CAG would like me to do to provide legitimacy, don't be hesitant to ask.

Why would anyone want this. You can do this with a psp and carry the whole genisis library on your memory stick+ anything else you want.

[quote name='s2k']Why would anyone want this. You can do this with a psp and carry the whole genisis library on your memory stick+ anything else you want.[/QUOTE]

Lets see..

Some of us (like me) have PSP 3000 models or simply don't want to mod their PSP and risk bricking it.

Some people do not even have a PSP

PSP button layout sucks for a lot of GEN titles.

Pretty neat lil portable but I still have my Nomad if I ever even wanted to take GEN gaming on the road. Something I haven't done since prolly 2001 though. Any Genesis gaming I do these days is on the CDX in the living room.

I'd like to see a Genesis, SNES or NES clone with component output finally come along, I'd be all over those.

unfortunately the systems you mentioned were not made for component hi def televisions, so i would have to imagine they would look like shit and thus not be very practical

It's mainly a portable device. I kinda want this but I dunno about that button placement. I probably could adjust to it faster than I think though.

The d-pad looks horrible and the button layout is no good (it's fine for 4-buttons but not 6 buttons). But I approve of the concept.

Looks cool, the only concern I have is now that I am used to GBA, DS and PSP games with the ability to save, I don't know how well it would work for me (what I mean is having to play a whole Genesis game without saving since most games don't have that ability)

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Looks cool, the only concern I have is now that I am used to GBA, DS and PSP games with the ability to save, I don't know how well it would work for me (what I mean is having to play a whole Genesis game without saving since most games don't have that ability)[/QUOTE]

Even though many games didn't have the ability to save right on the cart(certain later ones did), you still had the password feature on MANY games which allowed you to pick up your game with all of your lives intact at a later time.

I can't even tell you how many scraps of paper I had just lying about in the Genny era with codes on them for each successive game I was playing at that point.

As for the system in this thread, I gotta agree with many that the buttons are a bit haphazardly placed on the unit and I'd definitely like to see larger buttons on it.

But still, for $40 it's a steal, since the Nomad itself cost as much as a new Genny back in the day and was a huge machine. Not to mention it also ate through batteries like crazy.

What's the battery life like on a single charge for this unit, anji2128?

[quote name='s2k']Why would anyone want this. You can do this with a psp and carry the whole genisis library on your memory stick+ anything else you want.[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone want a PSP?

What's the battery life like on a single charge for this unit, anji2128?

I'm not sure. All I know so far in reference to battery life is that it's rechargeable and can charge via USB apparently. I'll post with those specs when I find them out.

The system hasn't been officially released yet and is currently on pre-order so unfortunately I don't have one to record.
HOWEVER! Gamesboro is supposedly getting one early to help promote it's mid-end of July release. As soon as they get theirs in I'll be sure to provide some Youtube footage. I think they're planning on releasing an online commercial for it as well.

I played with this at E3. The emulation is bad. Games are slower, and the sound is just plain atrocious. Spend your $40 on the Ultimate Genesis Collection and lunch.

[quote name='mkelehan']I played with this at E3. The emulation is bad. Games are slower, and the sound is just plain atrocious. Spend your $40 on the Ultimate Genesis Collection and lunch.[/QUOTE]

Ouch.

[quote name='mkelehan']I played with this at E3. The emulation is bad. Games are slower, and the sound is just plain atrocious. Spend your $40 on the Ultimate Genesis Collection and lunch.[/QUOTE]

Thats what i'm afraid of.....How much quality can they pack in there and still make a profit at $50 a pop? I just cant imagine how god awful that screen is going to be.....

[quote name='shoe478']Why would anyone want a PSP?[/QUOTE]

Well, if it's a CFW-enabled PSP, being able to play every NES, Genesis, Turbografx, and SNES game in emulated form is very nice. Plus there are actually a lot of good PSP games (especially if you like RPGs), with more on the way.

This is a pointless device. If you want Genesis games on the go the Nomad is absolutely amazing and runs everything perfectly. If you want to play imports on it just use a simple converter cart. I do it all the time.

[quote name='souljah420']unfortunately the systems you mentioned were not made for component hi def televisions, so i would have to imagine they would look like shit and thus not be very practical[/QUOTE]

I know they were not made for todays standards but its still something I'd like to have. Many games still show improvement when component is used vs standard A/V or RF.

As seen below on some examples. Look at Mega Man and some of the other NES & master system shots

http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/gotRGB/screenshots.html

[quote name='eastx']Well, if it's a CFW-enabled PSP, being able to play every NES, Genesis, Turbografx, and SNES game in emulated form is very nice. Plus there are actually a lot of good PSP games (especially if you like RPGs), with more on the way.[/QUOTE]

It was a joke.

Nomad and a backpack full of batteries is the way to go.

Seriously, the Nomad burns through batteries like crazy.

[quote name='Apostle22']Thats what i'm afraid of.....How much quality can they pack in there and still make a profit at $50 a pop? I just cant imagine how god awful that screen is going to be.....[/QUOTE]

Let's just wait til it's released before we call it a piece of junk.

I'm concerned about the screen's quality -- especially since it's black on the package. I'm skeptical it'll even be backlit, much less clear. When that comes to light, we'll see if I'm interested. I have a slew of good Genesis games, but am not in a huge hurry to unpack my Genesis console from the cardboard-box graveyard it's been residing in for years.

[quote name='robbyH']Let's just wait til it's released before we call it a piece of junk.[/QUOTE]

As I said, I've played it. It's a piece of junk.

[quote name='mkelehan']As I said, I've played it. It's a piece of junk.[/QUOTE]

And can you tell me that it was the FINAL verison?

NO YOU CAN'T! So shut the fuck up!

[quote name='soonersfan60']Wonder why they had to resort to emulation. The Genesis 3 was small and cheap, and likely had no proprietary parts.[/QUOTE]

SOAC emulators are a lot cheaper than recreating all the original components.

[quote name='robbyH']And can you tell me that it was the FINAL verison?

NO YOU CAN'T! So shut the fuck up![/QUOTE]

Haha, someone is desparate to believe in this.

[quote name='dcgm']This looks like a shitty pop station wannabe.[/QUOTE]

That is a kind of bizarre comparison. :/

They both suck, but a SOAC emulator handheld is a different thing entirely from a broken-ass LCD game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CoffeeEdge']SOAC emulators are a lot cheaper than recreating all the original components.

Haha, someone is desparate to believe in this.[/QUOTE]

All I'm saying is wait for the final product.

[quote name='robbyH']And can you tell me that it was the FINAL verison?

NO YOU CAN'T! So shut the fuck up![/QUOTE]

Well, since E3 was less than two months before they plan to have this mass produced and sold, I pretty much can. If they had a better prototype, they sure as hell wouldn't have shown what they did on the show floor to potential buyers.

Hey, your money. But if you think I should keep quiet about what I played at E3, well, I think you're missing the point of E3. :)

[quote name='DivyaMani']Our site is relatively new, and I'm hoping that the Sega
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)[/QUOTE]

You are a relatively new poster, and I'm hoping that you finish your
:whistle2:s

This can be done on the DS Lite as well.

[quote name='LiveCrazy_Joe']This can be done on the DS Lite as well.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, last time I said flash card, my post got deleted but psp homebrew posts stay up. A bias perhaps? :)

Very interested... will wait for others to review until buying.. So far only one person has supposedly played it at E3. I'm sure that is true but I want other opinions...

Great concept! If you think it is a stupid idea you are missing the point.

bread's done
Back