Steam: Heroes of Might and Magic sales ($13 for HOMM V series)

I owned the original Heroes of Might & Magic V when that came out, but never got around to picking up the expansion packs. This seems like a good deal, though. I may have to bite. :D

Um..the big combo pricing doesn't make sense.. Isn't it cheaper to buy the $13 pack, then buy Dark Messiah seperately for $5? It's ends up $2 cheaper that way and you get all of the same games..

Last edited by a moderator:
Separately:
Heroes V Pack ($12.99)
+
Dark Messiah($4.99)
=$17.98

The Heroes Pack=$19.96=fail

I'm thankful they offer the Heroes V pack so I can avoid buying Messiah again.

I've already got Messiah (a very underrated game, by the way), but I'm picking up the Heroes Pack for sure.

Are the expansions worth more than only paying $5 for the original? Either way its a great deal but if you are getting a lot less for the expansions I'm not sure if I want to get them or not.

I am now $12.99 poorer, thanks \\:D/

I loved King's Bounty, never played a HOMM game before though. Steam is bugging me though, even though it has been charged and shows it in my purchase history, it isn't appearing in My Games and I cannot download it.

Note: If you just buy the final standalone expansion Heroes 5: Tribes of the East, you can get the campaigns from the previous two expansions for it here: http://www.heroes-fr.com/en/original_campaigns.php

I guess this isn't ethical in the technical sense, but it has yet to be taken down by Ubisoft and has been up for years so I don't know what to tell you.

Also, if you don't own Dark Messiah by now, it is your own damn fault. The game is awesome.

I've never played a Heroes game before. How does Heroes V play? It looks a lot like Warcraft 3, which I absolutely loved.

Xiemos, Heroes 5 is a turn based strategy. Build up a fantasy army that your hero leads and then go wander about the land kicking ass, collecting loot, and beating down your opponents. It isn't a brain bendingly deep game, but it has enough meat to it to be fun.

How do these run in Vista 64 bit?

I just started playing Dark Messiah this week and love it so far. I'm a huge heroes fan (mainly 3) so I'm probably in for the pack.

We've had trouble running the original on three different computers. Runs fine until you want to rotate the map around, then the frame rate goes to hell.

I love the HOMM series and King's Bounty and Hammer of the Gods, but I never got into 5. I couldn't stand the maps that forced you to constantly play with the camera to see. And yet...I'm still tempted on the 12.99 pack.

[quote name='FigNewton']We've had trouble running the original on three different computers. Runs fine until you want to rotate the map around, then the frame rate goes to hell.[/QUOTE]

The game's 3D engine is very taxing, even for powerful rigs. Frame rates will drop like a rock while rotating the camera, even more so if you're zoomed out. :cry:

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']
They need to add the earlier HoMaM games to Steam. Pronto.[/QUOTE]

It looks more like GOG would be getting the earlier titles since they've put up the first HOMM a little while back. I still don't expect Ubisoft to get off their butts anytime soon on making a deal with GOG for HOMMII or III which is why I got III off eBay and II through "other means". Don't get me wrong, if Ubisoft would work on releasing II with GOG along with the awesome opera soundtrack built in, I would purchase it day 1, but until then I don't want to wait around for them seeing as it took quite a long time before they decided to work with GOG on getting the first HOMM on their site.

Just to be sure, I downloaded the demo. It's exactly what I expected, which is awesome. Runs great in Vista 64. I'm buying this ASAP.

[quote name='Fount']Heroes 2 was the best, with 4 a close second. Never got into 5.[/QUOTE]

2 and 3 in my opinion were far and away the best in the series, I still go back and play them pretty often. After 1 playthrough, 4 and 5 will never be reinstalled.

I have played both Heroes 3 and Heroes 5. Hell, I just got Heroes 3 complete for $10 from HPB. Both are really good games and I don't understand why one would prefer one over the other.

Thanks, I picked up Tribes Of the East. Been looking for it at a good price.

I think I put more time into HOMM3 and the expansions for it than any other PC game ever...

I've never played any of the HoMM games but I've known about them since I like turn-based games. Bought the game without the expansions, have yet to try it out.

Loved Heroes 2 and 3 in the past. Grabbed up the bundle sans Dark Messiah, and loving it. Gonna try the Messiah demo next to be sure.

THANKS OP!!!

I always wanted to get into this series. 5 looks really pretty so I went ahead and got the complete pack. Thanks OP.

I remember I didn't like 5 when it came out because stuff would be hiding behind trees because of the 3d camera, and my computer didn't run it fast enough. Now my computer handles it on highest resolution with AA & AF and I must say it's pretty damn fun. There are some significant improvements besides the graphical upgrade. HMM 2 is still my favorite, but 5 is right behind it. Really glad I picked this one up, thanks guys!

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']I remember I didn't like 5 when it came out because stuff would be hiding behind trees because of the 3d camera, and my computer didn't run it fast enough. Now my computer handles it on highest resolution with AA & AF and I must say it's pretty damn fun. There are some significant improvements besides the graphical upgrade. HMM 2 is still my favorite, but 5 is right behind it. Really glad I picked this one up, thanks guys![/QUOTE]

I pretty much echo these statements, including the thanks. :)

HOMM2 will probably always be my favorite because I really love the distinctive art style and the castle/creature design more than any of the other games, as well as the much faster pacing (smaller, more intense battles for sure).

The only problem with HOMM5 I have (so far) is the decision to use 3D graphics. My machine is pretty good, but the game just feels slow and plays slowly.

I use the classic camera style, and everything on the world map is just a lot less recognizable, especially since I like to play zoomed out. I find myself having to check almost everything to make sure I know what it is. Occasionally, the hero moves a spot to the left or right of what I intended. I never had these problems with 2 or 3.

Nevertheless, it is really fun. I especially like having alternate unit upgrades.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't care of HoMM 5 when it first came out because it didn't have random maps. Over this past weekend, I picked up the complete package and I'm enjoying it much more with the random maps. I've never cared much for campaigns. HoMM 3 modded is still my favorite.

My only issue is, when it's your opponents turn, it seems to take way too long. It even freezes often during the turn. I don't know if that's just the way it is, or if it's a bug. Annoying.

I don't understand why the owners of the Might and Magic franchise don't realize how much value they could have if they just ignore the dud games that were released later on and instead concentrate on the hits. A new Heroes in the style of Heroes II/III would be great, and how about a redo of World of Xeen? What PC RPG gamer back in the day didn't play World of Xeen? Pretend that Might and Magic 6 and onward never happened. You'd most likely be better off if you did.

[quote name='BrandonMills']A new Heroes in the style of Heroes II/III would be great[/QUOTE]
They did. It was called Heroes 5.

I think they've realized quite correctly that there is no way they CAN appeal to that market. Anything they create will be compared unfavorably to the past titles invariably. There is no sense in trying to pry that nostalgia addled group away from the old games. You will never, EVER make anything good enough.

very tempted to pick up HoMM5.

Wondering:
1) Can you really just buy the last expansion (TotE) and then go to that website and with copying/extracting/modding effectively get the base game as well as Hammers and TotE?

2) If I'm sporadically working on HoMM5's campaign currently, does anyone know if the saved games will be able to be "ported in" to Steam's installation?

Thanks OP and contributors.

[quote name='reapersaurus']very tempted to pick up HoMM5.

Wondering:
1) Can you really just buy the last expansion (TotE) and then go to that website and with copying/extracting/modding effectively get the base game as well as Hammers and TotE?[/QUOTE]

You can. I did exactly that after seeing RollingSkull's post about it.

As for your second question, I don't know the answer.

[quote name='reapersaurus']very tempted to pick up HoMM5.

Wondering:
1) Can you really just buy the last expansion (TotE) and then go to that website and with copying/extracting/modding effectively get the base game as well as Hammers and TotE?

2) If I'm sporadically working on HoMM5's campaign currently, does anyone know if the saved games will be able to be "ported in" to Steam's installation?

Thanks OP and contributors.[/QUOTE]

For 2: If you're playing the same version as Steam's then yes.

It's been a painful upgrade with Homm 5 patches, that old previous saves were not compatible to the new version.

[quote name='xycury']
It's been a painful upgrade with Homm 5 patches, that old previous saves were not compatible to the new version.[/QUOTE]

That's the one nice thing about this release on steam. You're up to date at 1.6 and many of the problems that people mentioned earlier in the thread are gone. It plays perfectly for me maxed out at the highest of everything.

bread's done
Back