The 2009 draft results.
The big 3 went as suspected.
#1 John Tavares - Islanders
#2 Victor Hedman - Lightning
#3 Matt Duchene - Avalanche

Last edited by a moderator:
As a MN Wild Fan:
No more Gabby? Damn!
Replaced with a guy whose brain is in a questionable state and still pulling pieces of Kronwell out of his teeth? Double Damn!

Having the Koivu brothers up against the Sedin Twins? Awesome! Hopefully they'll come to terms by the end of the day. Apparently the hangup right now is contract length.

Heatley wouldn't waive the no-trade so that he could stay long enough to collect on his $4mil bonus (guess he wants another fancy motor car?). He'll be out of Ottawa before the end of next week.

How many bridges can Hossa possibly burn?

Already?!
Anyway I'm sad we lost Hossa. I respect his desicion and will now boo him the next 12 years. All in good fun of course. Um... didn't we also ship Kopecky to Chicago? He had injury problems at the worst times with us so best of luck to him.
Selanne says this will be his final season in the NHL.

You'll like the Sheriff in Minnesota.

Mark Recchi for 1 year/1 million is a pretty good deal. Steve Begin is a decent pickup for a 4th line center. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop as far as Kessel.

Oh ok, there is a new one. Nice.

Anyway, everyone keeps thinking Chicago will be a good team. I don't see how without a goalie... ? Not that last season they had one either...

Wild might be pretty decent this year if they keep their goals against down like last season. They do have to actually score more though...

Ryan Smith to the Kings for Kyle Quincey, Tom Preissing and 5th round pick ('10). Kings picked up some grit, leadership and (hopefully) 25 goals without giving up too much.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Samuelson left Wings for Canucks. gah our team is falling apart. youth movement activate?[/QUOTE]

Hossa sure the Wings will miss him, but they won the cup without him. Remember that. Kopecky was a waste of roster space. Best thing about him is he was on IR most of the last two years. Samuelsson is a decent offensive player with some serious lazy defensive play. This opens up a slots for Darren Helm & Ville Leino to see real regular season time.

The Blackhawks may have screwed themselves real good.
According to both the NHL and the NHLPA, the investigation into how and why the Chicago Blackhawks bungled a number of their qualifying offers is ongoing.

I'm a bit confused after reading that article now... It says NJ resigned Madden, but then on yahoo nhl it says Madden is a Hawk... ? :shrugs:

Anyway, quite a situation for the hawks. lol

so it seems that when doug wilson (sharks gm) said he was going to shake up the team and there could be 6-8 players moving he just meant the 3rd and 4th line. the tops two lines are the exact same and the only people who arent coming back are from the 3rd and 4th. it does make sense, the 3rd and 4th lines were weak down the stretch and in the playoffs, but the top two lines could use a shake up or two as well.

I saw it as the 3rd and 4th lines taking the fall for the 1st and 2nd line failing...

Even though Seminov did "better" I'm still glad to see him gone.

how dirty are the leafs gonna be next year?

-SOOO dirty! The best defense in the league now, top to bottom (in my bias opinion). Plus Gustavasson. Now they just need one big name up front and they will be contenders for the eastern conf finals.

the leafs got a great deal on the monster cap wise. but hes only there for one year, if he has a great season hell be a due a BIG payday, and a lot of teams would like a young goalie with a big upside.

interesting side note... nabokov is in the final year of his contract, thatll free up a lot of cap space to sign the monster long term ;)

[quote name='VipFREAK']I saw it as the 3rd and 4th lines taking the fall for the 1st and 2nd line failing...

[/QUOTE]

i can only assume GM doug wilson is giving the big players one more chance. next year marleau, blake, nabokov will all be UFAs and that will clear up 14 million in cap space to sign new players. no only that but thorton, lukowich and erhoff will be in the last year of their contracts (ie trade bait). young guns pavelski and setoguchi are RFAs after this season. so there can be a "natural" shakeup next season rather than trying to force one this season through bad trades and hastily signing free agents.

@Nappy comment. Sounds good, although I don't see it happening.

@Shakeup comment... I suppose. I see things going downhill this season though...

[quote name='VipFREAK']@Nappy comment. Sounds good, although I don't see it happening.

@Shakeup comment... I suppose. I see things going downhill this season though...[/QUOTE]

depends on what you mean by downhill. the sharks will make the playoffs again for sure. the only way it can go downhill would be if they win the presidents and get swept in the first round. anything else would be an improvement from last season.

Joe Sakic will announce his retirement this afternoon. Even during the most heated times of the Wings/Aves battles not even Wings fans could find something negative to say about Joe. True genetlemen of the game who led by example with hall of fame numbers.

I would bet that The Monster will be Toronto's starting goalie by the mid-point of the seaon. When does Toskala's contract end? Hopefully at the end of the year, but I think he has 2 years left

The Kings announced their schedule for the upcoming season. They open at Staples Center for the first time since 2002-03, playing their first 3 games at home.

Man it's been roughly a month and a half since I watched my Penguins raise the cup. The draft was interesting and free agency had some suprises. Hossa once again delivers on free agency day. Plus Detroit is having a somewhat rough off-season. I'm so glad, couldn't happen to a better organization

That rough offseason isn't as bad as it seems. A lot of the fresh meat has been overdue. The Wings as they are now are still good enoiugh to finish 1st in the Central. Of course I expect some players to be picked up near the trade deadline if nothing happens in the offseason.

What the fuck? I just got a phone call, which I missed due to it being midnight. The caller ID said "Tampa Bay Arena". I called back and got a voice mail message-

"Thank you for calling the St. Pete Times Forum. We're very excited about your interest in coach Tocchet and the Tampa Bay Lightning. Leave your name, number, etc."

I have no idea why I received such a call at 3 A.M. Tampa time. I did see Tampa play at the Staples Center this year, but I don't recall signing up for anything.

One of your friends signed you up. It's a Lightning promo thing I posted on Puckdaddy little while back. Someone who knows your number messing with you.

[quote name='shieryda']TC, what do you think about the Wings signing Eaves?[/QUOTE]

I think its a gamble with not much to lose. The guy has a tremendous potential upside as a one time 20 goal scorer at the NHL level. The Wings are paying him next to nothing so if they need to release him so be it. Another thing I like is he seems very responsible defensively. Hopefully the Wings can give him the Cleary/Samuelsson treatment where they take a guy who has pretty much been thrown to the wolves by everyone else and give him some confidence to become a servicable 2nd or 3rd liner.

Jason Williams signed with the Wings today. Never had a problem with Jason until he got his bell rung by Raffi Torres. After that hit he didn't play with the same intensity and thats the reason he became expendable a couple years back. Not that he was ever a tough guy, but his non physical play became even more so. His main use will be 2nd unit PP right point.

the sharks dont have close the amount of cap room for zherdev. he was just awarded 3.9 in arbitration, so hell want a contract for at least that much, and probably will get more now that hes a UFA.

Yeah... was just looking that up. Still would've been nice to have him over a bunch of crappy free agents and Cheechoo.

[quote name='VipFREAK']:cough: Wilson, Zherdev is available hint hint :cough:[/QUOTE]

I can see him heading to the KHL.

Isn't Theo about the same size as St. Louis? I guess he has a decent chance since the game is more open. One of the biggest pests in the game.

My father-in-law said that the cabbie in the Kane case was driving with a suspended license. Not sure if that will factor much in the case, but I thought it was interesting. Edit: I just saw on TSN that the cabbie had also been convicted twice on prior drunk driving charges. The plot thickens...

Pre-season begins Sept. 14:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287507

Last edited by a moderator:
id imagine the whole kane thing blows over. either he doesnt get charged at all, or he pleads to a lessar charge and gets a small fine or something like that.

He's back.
bertredwings.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back