CAGcast #165: Once Upon a Time Bullet

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Join us for impressions of Ghostbusters, Fight Night Round 4, and The Conduit. Cheapy recounts the time he met Michael Jackson and Wombat reveals the silliest comic book plot twist ever. Of course we also cover game shopping and industry news, new releases, your CAGbag questions and more!

[podcast]72[/podcast]
Download - 104 minutes, 42MB
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photo
About 1 hour before AJ meltdown

Bonus Videos
Fight Night Round 4 - Down Goes Cheapy
Fight Night Round 4 - Cheapy Hits 'em When They're Down

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to Australia, Cheapy, remember to watch out for bats in the Brittanical Gardens (I think that's what they're called). No joke.

With the PS3 slim, it'll probably be like what we saw with the elimination of the 60gb model going to $500 with the 80gb being $600. The slim will be $400 and the fat PS3's will be $300 until they're gone. That's my prediction. If the slim becomes $300, it won't be until God of War 3 hits.

I'm also wondering why Cheapy thinks a game can't come along and control better than something that came out nearly 2 years ago (Conduit vs. Metroid Prime 3 here). I'm guessing you think Goldeneye on the N64 controls a lot better than Call of Duty 4 then. I'm not saying Conduit controls better than Metroid Prime 3 because I can't compare, but the argument of saying nothing better can come along is laughable.

Wow! For some reason I thought this was coming Thursday. I am now a very happy panda.

EDIT: It's been a rough week...

If I guess the title right than I agree with Wombat's feelings on Cap Reborn. It's like Brubaker (normally a fantastic writer) got stupid drunk and shat out a comic script for the most important series of his career. Not to mention Brian Hitch's art being rushed out, it looks very unpolished and blah. Can't wait to listen though.

[quote name='feobahamutz']Pumped for a new Cagcast, too bad dl speed sucks[/QUOTE]

I'm getting a steady 350kb/s

^^LOL

Anyway, we haven't had a CAG Foreplay in a long ass time. I understand Mrs Ship is busy with her doctoring and whatnot but... I think you guys need to bite the bullet and finally make Ship a full time member of the show. At least until Foreplay gets back on track... if ever.

Oh please. Most comics are too stupid for words. Wolverine's real name is "James Howlett"!?!? I'm a huge comic fan, and I spend PLENTY per month on comics, but I drop the ones that insult me for reading. Stopped Avengers and X-Men back in the 90s. I am glad I haven't picked up Captain America since before the REBORN debacle.

I went to junior high and high school with Scarlet Johanson's older sister, she has big cans too. this was in Manhattan though so I dunno if they're from long island or not.

Cheapy, you should go to hawaii for your vacation. It's a good halfway point for you and your parents. And all the different islands have different stuff to do depending on your mood.

Going on vacation? Look into the Virgin Islands for an all inclusive trip. I'm doing this in August for five days, the total cost for three adults was around $5,300.

I lol'd at Wombat's Bill Cosby impression :lol: Great show as always guys! (Perhaps mention that BlazBlue is not available in the UK next show? ;))

[quote name='sotc1988']If I guess the title right than I agree with Wombat's feelings on Cap Reborn. It's like Brubaker (normally a fantastic writer) got stupid drunk and shat out a comic script for the most important series of his career. Not to mention Brian Hitch's art being rushed out, it looks very unpolished and blah. Can't wait to listen though.[/QUOTE]Whenever the big superhero universes do some big change, it always goes back at some point. I think DC handles this better than Marvel. They were long and convoluted (The Return of Superman, Knightquest, Green Lantern Rebirth) but they made sense in a comic book universe. Marvel comes up with these awful dues ex machina things like Spider-Man Brand New Day and this Cap nonsense.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled videogame podcast.

Some questions on Wombat's Conduit mini-review:

I'll start off by saying I don't own a Wii. However, this shouldn't be a factor in this. Cheapy mentioned earlier that console-specific games like inFamous may get a "boost" when they get reviewed, due to hype and exclusivity of the game. Could Wombat be doing this with the Conduit review? It overall seems fairly generic. What if The Conduit was released on the PS2 (taking graphics and possibilities out of the question), would it be more enjoyable on a controller you're more familiar with? Or would the game's flaws or lack of creation stand out more when the "Wii exclusive" brand is taken out of the question?

Hey, Wombat. I believe there is a program out there to take songs from your iPod and load them onto your PC/laptop.

You were worried about losing stuff saved on your iPod.

im a little taken aback with Cheapy's suggestion that the Wii is incapable of doing voiceovers in cutscenes. I mean, really? -Though: developers are to blame for this as well. I see many of them CLAIMING their games suck because of the Wii's limits, when it's clear that many of these games aren't even hitting PS2 quality graphical effects or gameplay. In no way am I claiming that the Wii is as capable as a 360 or PS3, but surely it can outdo the PS2: hell... pick a big name Gamecube title up and throw it in and THEY outdo the PS2.. so come on dev's.. put some effort into it.

BTW I'm not defending the Conduit at all.. I haven't played it and every bit of media I've seen for it makes it look like nothing more than a cookie cutter shooter that just pulls some elements from every successful game in the genre and throws them in a pot.

And one final comment... I don't see how anyone can argue that the Wii can't do FPS controls well. The pointing ability of the Wiimote makes it second only to a mouse in terms of control and thumbsticks just can't match that. Though, again, this is dependent on the developers taking pride in their product and doing it right... only a few have so far.

meh.. whatever.. good show!

[quote name='smoger']
And one final comment... I don't see how anyone can argue that the Wii can't do FPS controls well. The pointing ability of the Wiimote makes it second only to a mouse in terms of control and thumbsticks just can't match that. Though, again, this is dependent on the developers taking pride in their product and doing it right... only a few have so far.

meh.. whatever.. good show![/QUOTE]

Because without any added support, like a desk or all being attached to one piece like a game pad a left handed person can not aim well using their right hand/arm on the Wii-mote.

Even for a right handed person, it is shaky and clumsy, an analog stick takes out the shakyiness of a person's arm as does a mouse. That is why both are better then the Wii-mote.

Cheapy, great anniversary story. Why didn't you partake of your wife while she was asleep? Wouldn't be the first time you've done this.

Steak and a bj are appropriate anniversary gifts for a man!

Cheapy, you should do the Vancouver thing again, but I'll tell you why: You can enjoy the city of Vancouver because it is awesome, but not only that, for a more relaxed place to spend time with your parents you could head inland to B.C. a little bit and stay in the Okanagan Valley...

I went here for my honeymoon http://www.spiritridge.ca/ and it's absolutely awesome. Plus tons of wineries in the area to visit for free tasting...

If you really want to go to some place cool, Tahiti is the place. Not too much farther than Hawaii but much much better.

I went for my honeymoon and 5th anniversary.

[quote name='Wombat']

Even for a right handed person, it is shaky and clumsy, an analog stick takes out the shakyiness of a person's arm as does a mouse. That is why both are better then the Wii-mote.[/QUOTE]

No, a thumb is not or never will be as accurate as your whole hand. It's not that hard to hold one's hand steady either.

Mouse is best, however.

[quote name='usickenme']

No, a thumb is not or never will be as accurate as your whole hand. It's not that hard to hold one's hand steady either.

Mouse is best, however.[/QUOTE]

My right thumb is more useful and accurate then my right hand, and yes for prolonged periods of time holding your hand out steady can feel more like a chore then fun.

Great show as usual

It's funny Cheapy thinks graphics are the most important thing in an FPS game, when for me they are the dead last. Control works best and how fun the game is, look at Counter-Strike still the most played competitive FPS and it looks horrible (TF2 doesn't look amazing either and has a huge following)

but good graphics do look nice I agree ;]

[quote name='Wombat']My right thumb is more useful and accurate then my right hand, and yes for prolonged periods of time holding your hand out steady can feel more like a chore then fun.[/QUOTE]

fair enough, I re-listened to that part of the show.

do you use a mouse with your left hand?

Great show guys. Thanks for the entertainment as usual.

Nice MJ story Cheapy. Wasn't there another story that you were supposed to tell during this episode that you mentioned on the last show or am I thinking of someone else?

I find it odd how resistant Cheapy seems to be to Wombat recommendations. I know I checked out Silverado after he highly recommended it, and I enjoyed it. I can't recall if Cheapy ever got around to watching it. This is the 3rd time Wombat has brought up Burn Notice on the show (it IS an awesome show BTW) and this is the 3rd time Cheapy's shrugged it off with a half-hearted maybe.

[quote name='usickenme']fair enough, I re-listened to that part of the show.

do you use a mouse with your left hand?[/QUOTE]

I use my right hand but I dont hold my mouse up in the air. I lean my arm on the desk, like everyone else.

Cheapy don't be discouraged by the rantings of a fanboy, (you can tell they're a fanboy because they always preface their rhetoric with "First off, I own all three systems") your games reviewer/Legend of Frank theories are dead on. And while console specific game reviewers usually have enough sense and integrity to rate crappy games low you can bet that moderatly good games will be rated higher.

Great show guys.

I'd go with the dual-stick system any day over the Wiimote when it comes to FPS, but that's my preference as well. Speaking as someone who owns Metroid Prime: Corruption, Medal of Honor, and The Conduit (the only three FPS on the Wii worthwhile?), I will say that Prime is the only title that actually held my attention. Graphics aren't a deal breaker for me, but the straightforward style of The Conduit just flat-out bores me.

[quote name='Wombat']My right thumb is more useful and accurate then my right hand, and yes for prolonged periods of time holding your hand out steady can feel more like a chore then fun.[/QUOTE]
Wombat, do you hold your 360 controller out steady too? I've played both Metroid Prime 3 and The Conduit while lying down on my couch, Wii remote tilted up lazily at the screen while resting my hand on my chest. It does take a little more effort than you would with a normal controller, but it's not that bad.

The Conduit originally had support for the Classic Controller, as hackers have discovered. I wonder why they took it out?

Cheapy, you saying The Conduit's cutscenes are the Wii's fault is stupid. Metal Gear Solid was mentioned and that had cutscenes on the PS1. You can't seriously think that the Wii can't handle it.
[quote name='ArrestedDeveloper']Cheapy don't be discouraged by the rantings of a fanboy, (you can tell they're a fanboy because they always preface their rhetoric with "First off, I own all three systems") your games reviewer/Legend of Frank theories are dead on. And while console specific game reviewers usually have enough sense and integrity to rate crappy games low you can bet that moderatly good games will be rated higher.[/QUOTE]
I don't think there is a specific problem with console exclusive games getting higher scores. I had a bunch of fun with Super Mario Galaxy, and if another company made Super Frank Galaxy with a similar level of quality, I'd be satisfied.

The problem lies with the reviewers and the scales they use. There seems to be two seperate scales: Bad games get 4-5/10, and good games get 6-9/10.

matt casssamacaca is the biggest damn nintendo shill ever. the guy defends everything they do and loves everything that comes out of that company. they could shit in a box and charge 69.99 for it and hed buy it hell hed buy 2 one for collectiing and the other for playing. if i remember right he was for nintendo putting lztp on the wii and not bringing it out for the gc like originally planned.

[quote name='lokizz']matt casssamacaca is the biggest damn nintendo shill ever. the guy defends everything they do and loves everything that comes out of that company. they could shit in a box and charge 69.99 for it and hed buy it hell hed buy 2 one for collectiing and the other for playing. if i remember right he was for nintendo putting lztp on the wii and not bringing it out for the gc like originally planned.[/QUOTE]
I heard that lokizz guy was one of the 9/11 hijackers, also he supports killing babies and drinking their blood

[quote name='Doomed']I heard that lokizz guy was one of the 9/11 hijackers, also he supports killing babies and drinking their blood[/QUOTE]

i can neither confirm nor deny the 9/11 dealy but i will agree with the baby killing their blood tastes like cherry koolade.

bread's done
Back