CAGcast #165: Once Upon a Time Bullet

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#31 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

And one final comment... I don't see how anyone can argue that the Wii can't do FPS controls well. The pointing ability of the Wiimote makes it second only to a mouse in terms of control and thumbsticks just can't match that. Though, again, this is dependent on the developers taking pride in their product and doing it right... only a few have so far.

meh.. whatever.. good show!

Because without any added support, like a desk or all being attached to one piece like a game pad a left handed person can not aim well using their right hand/arm on the Wii-mote.

Even for a right handed person, it is shaky and clumsy, an analog stick takes out the shakyiness of a person's arm as does a mouse. That is why both are better then the Wii-mote.

#32 Conboy

Conboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

Cheapy, great anniversary story. Why didn't you partake of your wife while she was asleep? Wouldn't be the first time you've done this.

Steak and a bj are appropriate anniversary gifts for a man!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

Cheapy go to Hawaii for vacation

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#34 kashwashwa

kashwashwa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

Cheapy, you should do the Vancouver thing again, but I'll tell you why: You can enjoy the city of Vancouver because it is awesome, but not only that, for a more relaxed place to spend time with your parents you could head inland to B.C. a little bit and stay in the Okanagan Valley...

I went here for my honeymoon http://www.spiritridge.ca/ and it's absolutely awesome. Plus tons of wineries in the area to visit for free tasting...
Posted Image

#35 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

If you really want to go to some place cool, Tahiti is the place. Not too much farther than Hawaii but much much better.

I went for my honeymoon and 5th anniversary.

Even for a right handed person, it is shaky and clumsy, an analog stick takes out the shakyiness of a person's arm as does a mouse. That is why both are better then the Wii-mote.

No, a thumb is not or never will be as accurate as your whole hand. It's not that hard to hold one's hand steady either.

Mouse is best, however.

#36 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:42 PM

No, a thumb is not or never will be as accurate as your whole hand. It's not that hard to hold one's hand steady either.

Mouse is best, however.

My right thumb is more useful and accurate then my right hand, and yes for prolonged periods of time holding your hand out steady can feel more like a chore then fun.

#37 whywakeup

whywakeup

The Chief .

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

BJ Coupon Book = Best Present Ever
Posted Image

#38 SuxoR

SuxoR

What choice did I have?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

Great show as usual

It's funny Cheapy thinks graphics are the most important thing in an FPS game, when for me they are the dead last. Control works best and how fun the game is, look at Counter-Strike still the most played competitive FPS and it looks horrible (TF2 doesn't look amazing either and has a huge following)

but good graphics do look nice I agree ;]

1xz7eo.gif

#39 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

My right thumb is more useful and accurate then my right hand, and yes for prolonged periods of time holding your hand out steady can feel more like a chore then fun.

fair enough, I re-listened to that part of the show.

do you use a mouse with your left hand?

Edited by usickenme, 02 July 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#40 XTommyDonX

XTommyDonX

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

Great show guys. Thanks for the entertainment as usual.

Nice MJ story Cheapy. Wasn't there another story that you were supposed to tell during this episode that you mentioned on the last show or am I thinking of someone else?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

I find it odd how resistant Cheapy seems to be to Wombat recommendations. I know I checked out Silverado after he highly recommended it, and I enjoyed it. I can't recall if Cheapy ever got around to watching it. This is the 3rd time Wombat has brought up Burn Notice on the show (it IS an awesome show BTW) and this is the 3rd time Cheapy's shrugged it off with a half-hearted maybe.

Guardian_owl.png

#42 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

fair enough, I re-listened to that part of the show.

do you use a mouse with your left hand?

I use my right hand but I dont hold my mouse up in the air. I lean my arm on the desk, like everyone else.

#43 ArrestedDeveloper

ArrestedDeveloper

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

Cheapy don't be discouraged by the rantings of a fanboy, (you can tell they're a fanboy because they always preface their rhetoric with "First off, I own all three systems") your games reviewer/Legend of Frank theories are dead on. And while console specific game reviewers usually have enough sense and integrity to rate crappy games low you can bet that moderatly good games will be rated higher.

#44 MIGGO

MIGGO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

Great show guys.

I'd go with the dual-stick system any day over the Wiimote when it comes to FPS, but that's my preference as well. Speaking as someone who owns Metroid Prime: Corruption, Medal of Honor, and The Conduit (the only three FPS on the Wii worthwhile?), I will say that Prime is the only title that actually held my attention. Graphics aren't a deal breaker for me, but the straightforward style of The Conduit just flat-out bores me.

#45 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

Wombat, do you hold your 360 controller out steady too? I've played both Metroid Prime 3 and The Conduit while lying down on my couch, Wii remote tilted up lazily at the screen while resting my hand on my chest. It does take a little more effort than you would with a normal controller, but it's not that bad.

The Conduit originally had support for the Classic Controller, as hackers have discovered. I wonder why they took it out?

Cheapy, you saying The Conduit's cutscenes are the Wii's fault is stupid. Metal Gear Solid was mentioned and that had cutscenes on the PS1. You can't seriously think that the Wii can't handle it.

Cheapy don't be discouraged by the rantings of a fanboy, (you can tell they're a fanboy because they always preface their rhetoric with "First off, I own all three systems") your games reviewer/Legend of Frank theories are dead on. And while console specific game reviewers usually have enough sense and integrity to rate crappy games low you can bet that moderatly good games will be rated higher.

I don't think there is a specific problem with console exclusive games getting higher scores. I had a bunch of fun with Super Mario Galaxy, and if another company made Super Frank Galaxy with a similar level of quality, I'd be satisfied.

The problem lies with the reviewers and the scales they use. There seems to be two seperate scales: Bad games get 4-5/10, and good games get 6-9/10.

Edited by Doomed, 03 July 2009 - 02:31 PM.
clarity

sig.gif

#46 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

matt casssamacaca is the biggest damn nintendo shill ever. the guy defends everything they do and loves everything that comes out of that company. they could shit in a box and charge 69.99 for it and hed buy it hell hed buy 2 one for collectiing and the other for playing. if i remember right he was for nintendo putting lztp on the wii and not bringing it out for the gc like originally planned.

#47 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:42 PM

matt casssamacaca is the biggest damn nintendo shill ever. the guy defends everything they do and loves everything that comes out of that company. they could shit in a box and charge 69.99 for it and hed buy it hell hed buy 2 one for collectiing and the other for playing. if i remember right he was for nintendo putting lztp on the wii and not bringing it out for the gc like originally planned.

I heard that lokizz guy was one of the 9/11 hijackers, also he supports killing babies and drinking their blood

sig.gif

#48 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:19 AM

I heard that lokizz guy was one of the 9/11 hijackers, also he supports killing babies and drinking their blood

i can neither confirm nor deny the 9/11 dealy but i will agree with the baby killing their blood tastes like cherry koolade.

#49 milkham

milkham

Master Massaginist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:23 AM

isn't matt cassamasina married to someone who works at nintendo?
Posted Image
^^^^^That is Waka Inoue^^^^^^

Check My List | [url=http://flickr.com/photos/milkman/]My Flickr Page |

#50 dastly75

dastly75

Resident Squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:14 AM

The high point of this show was definitely the BJ coupon book.

Cheap Ass Giraffes Grifball Team Captain

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:38 AM

I use my right hand but I dont hold my mouse up in the air. I lean my arm on the desk, like everyone else.

you have weak arms, we get it.

#52 aknowlesjr

aknowlesjr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:48 AM

cheapy was going to tell a story about moving w/o using boxes
Posted Image

A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself.

I'm haunted every day by regret upon regret and profound shame over what I've become.

#53 ShinAkumA21

ShinAkumA21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

i'm enjoying The Conduit, i'll give it a 7.5 medicore single player campaign sucks, but online muilitplay is fun as hell and the controls are the best out there

#54 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

Cheapy sounds just like MJ !!

Also those FNR4 vids are funny as hell.
lol.

#55 The Great BM

The Great BM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Though I haven't read comics regularly in 2-3 years, I'm still a Captain America fan, and I pretty much agree with you, Wombat. On top of that,
Spoiler
I think this is part of the reason I gave up reading comics...

#56 sdp

sdp

Social Hermit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

Cheapy you always end up mentioning on most shows how Nintendo sells like crazy because of brand recognition. Thats really not true, Nintendo's name didn't help them at all during the Gamecube era and it would have been this gen if they hadn't created the Wii. You give too much credit to the Nintendo name and not enough to the Wii brand.

#57 hugues

hugues

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

I worked at an Electronics Boutique store over 15 years ago and from my recollection employees were definitely the main source of game theft. I was once sent to work at another location because the entire staff was fired for theft.

The most common theft tactic for staff was "short" shipments. There was a central warehouse that sent games to stores. They'd get 1,000 copies of Mike Ditka Power Football or whatever from the manufacturer then distribute them across all the stores. That was the case for games that sold 1-2 copies a week, major releases were sent directly to stores. Anyway, when a store received boxes they had to reconcile what was in the box vs. what they said was in the box. It was trivial to check an item as not received, no paperwork or audit, just mark that it wasn't in there. I can honestly say I never did this but know it happened all the time. Unless your store had some insane number of "missing" games no one ever checked. I think that's what happened at the other store I was sent to.

Once CD games starting coming in (I said this was over 15 years ago) overstock returns became a source of theft. Your store would get 30 copies of some Sega CD game that turned out to suck. They'd tell you to send 20 back to the warehouse who would then return them to Sega or whatever they did with them. Folks would open the game, pop out the CD, shrinkwrap it, and send the empty box back. Maybe they'd cram a free AOL disc in so it weighed the same, not that there's much weight difference between a full and empty Sega CD case. I also didn't do this but knew employees who did, although I didn't bother to stop them or rat them out.

With just empty display boxes on the shelf there wasn't much opportunity for customers to steal. Sometimes you'd get a group that worked as a team - some of them would try to get you to come to the back of the store to answer asinine questions while their buddies would grab whatever they could from behind the counter. That was pretty rare though. Now that I think about it, they weren't too bright. They'd try to steal $200-$300 worth of games while the register probably had $1000 worth of cash in it on an average day (way more if a major release just came out).

Oh and yeah, seasonal help was a sure source of theft.

#58 morph3us

morph3us

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

Cheapy, you should go to hawaii for your vacation. It's a good halfway point for you and your parents. And all the different islands have different stuff to do depending on your mood.

I second this, while I have never been to Hawaii i here it is nice ( maybe a little bit touristy.

For something even cheaper and also a half way point, how about Mexico, you can even smoke weed there and not worry about getting into trouble!

Also this comment maybe a little late, but people complaining about you talking about weed too much need to lighten up, I thought by now people would have accepted it as ok, and it is only a matter of time before it becomes a legal controlled substance, no different than alcohol.

#59 fredy182

fredy182

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:27 AM

i cant believe cheapy didnt take a picture with Michael Jackson, just because he was scared

#60 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

You rest the wiimote on your lap or on the couch when you play a Wii game and are pointing at the screen!!!!!!! Anyone who has put some time into Wii games knows this. Doh!!! YOu guys seem ignorant about the Wii. EVery week that seems to grow. FYI - most people don't play Wii games like they do in those Wii commercials.

Not to say Conduit is a great game. It ain't. But it's because it's a low budget affair done by a non-AAA team. I think if these guys did a 360 game with the same budget you'd get a similar result.

Also I hate to tell you guys this, but when the 360 and PS3 (or the next Xbox or PS) get pointing functionality in their controllers you guys and the gaming press will be slobbering all yourselves. It really is a better shooting experience than an analog stick unless you are the type that enjoys a horse and buggy over an automobile for your daily transportation needs or likes washing your clothes on a washboard along the river bank instead of using one of those new fancy shmancy electric washing machines.

I will say one nice thing about the Conduit. The controls to throw a 'nade are sweet. The waggle is very responsive, very easy to learn, and you can seamlessly throw nades while also shooting and moving.

Last, it's pretty pathetic that Wombat can't learn to do anything new at his age. I'm talking about his comments about holding the wimote in his left and moving with his right. Can I start calling him "Gramps?"

Love the show - ignorance, warts and all.

P.S. Yep. Thriller was such a big event. And yeah kids in my school dressed up like Michael especially the black guys. (later on it was the white guys and girls.) Also I bought Thriller as an LP. I think it might have been the only record I bought. Unless you count Moon Zappa's album which I purchased for the song "Valley Girl." Anyway bought the Essential MJ after he died. Yeah he died and I'm motivated to buy his music? wtf? ....., but really digging listening to tunes of my yutes. I'm mostly a Who kind of music guy, but I like some funk/r&b in my diet as well. And MJ has/had some pretty deep hooks.

Edited by trip1eX, 04 July 2009 - 01:38 AM.