Elder Scrolls: Arena for Free!

Hey, thanks for sharing this tidbit! I also enjoyed Morrowind very much and am glad to fool around with its predecessor.

[quote name='RBM']Hey, thanks for sharing this tidbit! I also enjoyed Morrowind very much and am glad to fool around with its predecessor.[/quote]

Actually this is Daggerfall's predecessor.

Arena.....Daggerfall.......Morrowind

Minimum system requirements:
386/25 MHZ, DOS 5.0, 4MB RAM, 25MB HD Space, VGA graphics card, Mouse, Soundcard (Ensoniq, Aria, Roland, SoundBlaster, Ultrasound).

Thanks! ...finally something my computer can handle. :wink:

564545_20040405_screen001.jpg

564545_20040405_screen002.jpg

564545_20040405_screen003.jpg

Speaking of which, is anyone else having problems running dosBox? I follow the instructions exactly as outlined, but when I get to the step where it says, "type 'CD\ARENA' and press enter," I get an illegal prompt or something. Excuse my computer illiteracy. :oops:

I got it to work you have to follow the directions for the dos box and assign the C drive first. I played around with the commands created a character and for some reason the game ran like a DOG on my P4 1.8 with 768 of ram. I deleted everything . It was virtually unplayable.

I wish some of the classics can be remade and Windows XP compatible like Daggerfall , Arena, Thief 2 and others.

I would pay for that

[quote name='dsullo']I got it to work you have to follow the directions for the dos box and assign the C drive first. I played around with the commands created a character and for some reason the game ran like a DOG on my P4 1.8 with 768 of ram. I deleted everything . It was virtually unplayable.

I wish some of the classics can be remade and Windows XP compatible like Daggerfall , Arena, Thief 2 and others.

I would pay for that[/quote]

You need to up the clock cycles that DOSBox uses (CTRL+F12, try 10500-10800) and you may also want to up the frames that it is allowed to skip (CTRL+F8, frameskip = 7 or 8).

Yeah i got it working

If you installed it to C:\ARENA like it did go to DOSBox and type MOUNT C C:\ARENA

Then C:

then finnaly ARENA

READY GO GO GO

This game is great. I just came here to tell everyone about the FREE download but i though I better do a search first and sure enough.

I almost dont want to download it due to me having such good memories of the game.

There are like 7 things you have to collect and I remember all had these riddles. The game was so cool for its time. A lot of the sound effects are used over and over in movies and games even now.

I am so glad I am getting my old Amd back which will run this perfectly.

This really kicks ass, considering how old it is.

I had to F12 my cycles up to 19220, and it runs perfectly.

HeeHeeHee. I wonder if lots of my old DOS games will run right on this thing?

thanks dangerballs, that helped I followed your directions

"You need to up the clock cycles that DOSBox uses (CTRL+F12, try 10500-10800) and you may also want to up the frames that it is allowed to skip (CTRL+F8, frameskip = 7"

will this dos box allow XP users to play thief 2?

Another question. When playing Arena on the DosBox is there a way to have the game full screen. I could not figure that out and I am playing within a small window

[quote name='dsullo']will this dos box allow XP users to play thief 2? [/quote]
Thief 2 is a Windows game. DOSBOX is only for old DOS games.

[quote name='dsullo']Another question. When playing Arena on the DosBox is there a way to have the game full screen. I could not figure that out and I am playing within a small window[/quote]
ALT+Enter, just like all games.

Score! I pumped muchas horas into Daggerfall when I was around 12 - 13 but arena was before my time, this'll be fun to play around with a little.

[quote name='SolinariDotCom']Thief doesn't run on Windows XP, not sure about 2, though..[/quote]

I think you are wrong. Thief runs on my Windows XP and I have always read that Thief II does not run on Windows XP. Either way I thought they were both DOS games. Maybe I am wrong.

I do want to try some of my old Ultima games on the DOS box.

I do want to try some of my old Ultima games on the DOS box.
Definitely. Ultima IV rocks. I also want to get out Masters of Orion, Civilization, and some of my AD&D Pool of Radiance style games. Looks like I'll have plenty to do this weekend!

[quote name='dsullo']I think you are wrong. Thief runs on my Windows XP and I have always read that Thief II does not run on Windows XP. Either way I thought they were both DOS games. Maybe I am wrong. [/quote]

Neither run in DOS.

--

Thief 1: http://www.eidosinteractive.com/games/info.html?gmid=34

Minimum Specifications:
Pentium 200 MHz (with 4MB SVGA Video Card, no Hardware Acceleration)
Pentium 166 MHz (with 3D Hardware Accelerator Card, Minimum 4MB On-Board RAM, 100% DirectX 6.0 Compliant)
32MB RAM Memory
Windows 95/98

bread's done
Back