CheapyD on ESPN2's Cold Pizza - AGAIN! (Thursday 2/24/05) GT4 & MVP 2005

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Looks like I'm going to be back on Thursday, 2/24/05 to talk about Gran Turismo 4 and MVP Baseball 2005 (I had a chance to play both last week).
The show airs from 8AM-10AM EST on ESPN2. It is repeated immediately afterwards.
Last time, the segment aired around the 1 1/2 hour mark, but I don't know what time it will really air.

Old Post
The fine folks at ESPN2's Cold Pizza were kind enough to invite me on their program to discuss video game shopping, epecially online shopping.
I'm not sure when it will air, but I am taping it (EDIT) next week.

The show will air Airing Thursday, Feb 10th from 8AM-10AM EST on ESPN2

Thanks to guyver2077 for providing the video stream:

:arrow: Click here to watch the streaming video...

EDIT:

Ok, we are now doing a straight up preview of NBA Street 3/FIFA Street instead of the shopping segment. The had a little problem with "the ass" so we are going with www.CheapyD.com , which will get people here regardless.

I would hope you dont plug CAG too much or else we'll get another 5,000 lurkers and hoarders. But it sounds good. Also im pretty sure that cold pizza is live, unless they are gonna tape it then play it some other day

It seems you've forgotten the all-important "Comb ads for sales and check stores often for clearance deals." How could you leave those out? :wink:

brush your teeth :D

it may not be the appropriate place, and the general audience may not understand the implications, but how about a little "highlight" of EA's empire mission, and its impact on not only the gaming industry, but a bunch of PO'ed CAGs?! :twisted:

good luck BTW! :)

[quote name='djak1']it may not be the appropriate place, and the general audience may not understand the implications, but how about a little "highlight" of EA's empire mission, and its impact on not only the gaming industry, but a bunch of PO'ed CAGs?! :twisted:[/quote]

They actually discussed that 2 weeks ago.

[quote name='djak1']
it may not be the appropriate place, and the general audience may not understand the implications, but how about a little "highlight" of EA's empire mission, and its impact on not only the gaming industry, but a bunch of PO'ed CAGs?! :twisted:
[/quote]

Don't do that...no one will care. HELLO...EA makes Madden and NCAA football...The average person watching Cold Pizza is a sports gamer. THEY LOVE EA.

[quote name='murcielago77']I would hope you dont plug CAG too much or else we'll get another 5,000 lurkers and hoarders. But it sounds good. Also im pretty sure that cold pizza is live, unless they are gonna tape it then play it some other day[/quote]

As long as those lurkers and hoarders click CheapyD's links, they're good for the site. May not be good for you, but they're good for the continued operation of the site.

And yeah, your talking points sound fine. They're common sense to us, but like you said, you won't be addressing the typical CAG.

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='djak1']it may not be the appropriate place, and the general audience may not understand the implications, but how about a little "highlight" of EA's empire mission, and its impact on not only the gaming industry, but a bunch of PO'ed CAGs?! :twisted:[/quote]

They actually discussed that 2 weeks ago.[/quote]

really? what was the "consensus?"

(also if there is a forum on CAG about it, just point the way, rather than clutter this forum) - thanks!

[quote name='Msut77']Floss, brush your teeth comb your hair.

You really dont have to shower since we at home cant smell you.[/quote]

im pretty sure cheapy has no hair to comb. And I forgot cheapy made cash from the cheapass links. Anyways, most of the sports enthusiusts that watch the show dont care about EA's "monopoly". They just want a quality sports game and thats what EA provides.

congrats looks like good stuff to me. i am so cheap do not have cable if anyone records it here maybe you can send me the file to watch it to

I read your points, and they seem pretty good for mainstream gamers. Maybe you should say something about waiting for maybe 2 weeks and the game will drop about 12 bucks.

I wish you the best of luck. Let us know when it airs so we can record it!!!

Ill be damned either that guy interviewing him was short or CheapyD is tall.

He looks almost exactly like his avatar.

Cheapy the points look good, but one suggestion: I'd add a "Waiting a while for new releases" point. Maybe mention the virtue in waiting for pricedrops. Since most people are busy anyways, waiting a few weeks and saving some money might seem like a plausible idea. Or maybe just include that minor point in your last section, "Buy older titles."

Other than that, goodluck.

I'm not too sure about this but naming sites like ebgames, etc may not be allowed on air since they don't want to promote their businesses for free.

Cheapy, congradulations on getting on to Cold Pizza, I'll make sure to record it as I mostl ikely will be working.

I think you should also mention to watch for special deals on pre-ordering games. You can usually get some great swag if you pre-order games and on the bigger games you can get free overnight shipping. This is great because in my experience most of the gaming stores don't get the new releases until the day after their target date, and you don't have to go out to get the game, it comes right to your door.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='murcielago77']I would hope you dont plug CAG too much or else we'll get another 5,000 lurkers and hoarders. But it sounds good. Also im pretty sure that cold pizza is live, unless they are gonna tape it then play it some other day[/quote]

As long as those lurkers and hoarders click CheapyD's links, they're good for the site. May not be good for you, but they're good for the continued operation of the site.

[/quote]

This site is already very profitable. It's no longer about "keeping it operational." It's more about making more money now.

First of all, congrats! Tell us when it airs and remember to comb your hair. From the look of your avatar it seems like it needs it badly. ;-)

I think those topic points and the responses that you have laid out for them are great. You might want to add in the "turning unused games into money" point that looking at local, independent or small chain stores can yield some great deals and give more cash than major chains on trade ins as well.

In relation to GameRankings.com, Warner Bros. announced that that it will vary the amount it asks for royalties on video games based on game reviews from sites like GameRankings.com and MetaCritic.com so even companies are now using the internet to help prevent bad game development. I'm not sure if that was mentioned on the Game Industry boards or not, but just a FYI...can't help to remind at least. :p

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/charliesangels/news_6099292.html

It seems like you are very well prepared, GOOD LUCK!! :bouncy:

Awesome! Congrats Cheapy---your second time on Cold Pizza. I like all of the things you discuss in the OP-don't forget to let us know when you'll be on! Good luck!

Using the Internet to be a smart video game shopper

Video games are expensive, especially when you consider new DVD releases typically cost $20 and most newly released games cost $50. By using the Internet, you can easily educate yourself, and take advantage of the best deals on the best games.

That's a great point. You may want to throw in some numbers about comparative amount of time spend, about how you may watch a good dvd 2-3 times, but a good game will usually keep you entertained for almost 20 hours.

{If allowable/acceptable: The best way to educate yourself is to check out CheapAssGamer.com. CAG is a video game shopping community whose members are always on the lookout for the best video game sales and deals at online and local retailers. The members share their discoveries with each other on the site’s message board. This means you will always have the latest gaming sale information right at your fingertips.}

Brilliant. Short, concise, and not overly self-serving. If they allow it, say it.
Roll with the punches if they decided to call you on it... well all know you can :)

Here are some general tips that can stretch your gaming budget farther:

Using online resources to find the best quality games
There is nothing worse then spending hard earned money on a game that is a dud. Websites like GameRankings.com takes reviews from major gaming news sites and give each game an overall average review score.
You can get lists of the best-reviewed games according to genre and console platform, making it much easier to find well made games you might be interested in.

Good. That's solid advice.

Buy used games and save money.
Some online retailers offer used games for sale. EBgames.com, in particular has especially good deals and provides the original game box and manual for current generation games. They give the same return policy on their used products as their new products (30 days) and you can even go to a local store to return it there is a problem.
In addition, there are coupon codes and other promotions, which enable you to receive substantial discounts and free shipping.

Great. You may even want to mention old school stuff here, talking about the current rise in popularity of nostalgia driven franchises, and mention that the internet is a GREAT source for hunting these down.

Online rental services offer good value
Online rental services such as GameFly.com allow you to rent video games by mail, similarly to DVD rental services like Netflix. For $22 a month, you can have a 2 games out at a time. When you get tired of the game, you simply place the game in the supplied mailer and drop it in the mail box. Best of all, if decide you want to keep a game, GameFly charges you a reasonable price, and will then send you the next game on your rental list. They also sell used games at good prices to non-rental subscribers, but members get a small discount.

Sounds good.

Turning unused games into money
Major gaming retailers like EBgames, GameStop, and even Blockbuster will give you cash or credit for your trade-ins. Generally speaking, you will receive less than if you sold the game on Ebay, but it can be more convenient. Try to wait for special promotions to maximize your trade-in values. You can even trade games directly with other users on websites like CheapAssGamer.com

Great. I really like how you're keeping it general, and bringing in the names of specific companies only when necessary.

Buy older titles
There are literally hundreds of games available for all the current generation systems. Just because a game wasn’t released in the last few months doesn’t mean it should be ignored. Retailers will often try to clear these games out at a loss, just to make room for new inventory. These are the sales that get my users at CheapAssGamer.com the most excited as you can pick up great games for just a few dollars.

Mention the new tiered models that the companies have here... Player's Choice, Platinum and Greatest hits.

You may want to mention watching for those hidden gems, the games by smaller developers, even if published by major houses that can be found released at a budget price, but offer a full priced game experience.
The Sega Sports line is to mention here, as is Katamari Damacy.

Congrats on the revisit!!!

Please try and let us know the air date in an obvious way on the front page of the site.

Another point you may want to bring up...
Low release price (or price in general) does not always mean low quality software.

It's a stigma that exists, and will at times will scare away people from promising software, because it's been so drilled into people's minds.

There's a couple great examples of this, the best of them being things released recently at the 19.99 price point.

You should mention that Dvds and games are usually on sale the first week they are out. If you don't get them the first week then you usually have to wait like a month before you see another price drop. Some times if you really want an item you should buy it the week it comes out.

Hey cheapy part of my military job is preparing higher ranked officers for TV appearances. If you would like some tips on making it go through easier just hit me with a PM. Your talking points look good keeping them short is the way to go. People will zone you out if they get too long. The fact that you prepared talking points tells me you already know a little bit about public speaking

[quote name='steveovig']Make sure to suck up to Woody a lot and tell him I said hi!!![/quote]

Woody Paige is the man, sometimes he just has me rolling with the stupid stuff he says on ATH.

I think most of the points you made are really good, also make sure to mention the owner of CAG is a dick :wink:

bread's done
Back