Photo
- - - - -

Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble - Japanese Beat'em Up From Atlus - November 10, 2009!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today revealed that it has secured the publishing rights to Kenka Bancho 3™, a Japanese beat'em up for PSP® system. The game, which puts players in the role of a high school student on a class trip to a historic Japanese city, includes no shortage of fist-to-face and knee-to-gut action, and all in the name of pride and bragging rights.

In an unprecedented move for the publisher, Atlus will look to fan input in the process of choosing a title for the game's North American release.

"Kenka Bancho 3 is a terrific brawler with all the action and humor PSP system owners crave," said Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales for Atlus. "That said, the game is also called Kenka Bancho 3, which, without translation, may not be the most intuitive title for non-Japanese speaking gamers. Therefore, we're going to open things up for our fans to help us pick the game's new North American title. We wouldn't be in this situation if my suggestion for the title, Buncha Banchos, had been accepted," Jabbari added quickly with a nervous chuckle, "but you know, whatever."

Kenka Bancho 3 is scheduled for release in early 2010.
Fans can contribute to the naming process via the survey link below:
http://survey.consta...qfwtj87wt/start

From what I can see on Google, the first two were on the PS2 and I'm guessing that those never came to the US, so this might be our first taste of this series. Joystiq has a trailer for the game when its release date was announced for the PSP.

From the survey:

Info:

Kenka Bancho 3 for PSP system, coming early next year, puts players in the role of a high school student on a class trip to a historic Japanese city, and includes no shortage of fist-to-face and knee-to-gut action... all in the name of pride and bragging rights.

"So what does 'Kenka Bancho' mean?" you suddenly ask. Good question! "Bancho" is a Japanese term for someone who's in charge because he's the meanest, toughest, strongest dude around.

"Kenka" means "fighting," making the entire title the equivalent of "Awesome Master of Badass Beating-Up-People Guys." (You can see why we need your help here.) So, in short, the game is all about you proving yourself as the baddest hombre in town, accomplished by putting your fist as ungently as possible into the faces and guts of your opponents.

Other features and gameplay aspects of note:

- Choose your prefecture and take on over 47 bancho rivals on your quest to be Japan's #1 bancho!
- Find new hand-to-hand fighting techniques by trashing punks all over town!
- Earn hidden awards for discovering a variety of playing styles!
- Discover hidden events and characters!
- New Game+ your way to the ultimate beatdowns!
- Play it your way - participate in the storyline or explore the city while beating up thugs for the limited time you have on vacation. It's up to you!
- Make your own bancho with hundreds of clothing, hair, and facial combinations!
- Stock up on a wide variety of weapons and items!
- Take a friend along and share the pain with the 2-player cooperative mode!

Screens:

Posted Image
Everybody up! (Japanese version)

Posted Image
Shocking! (Japanese version)

Posted Image
My eye beams will destroy you. (Japanese version)

Name Options:

Kenka Bancho
Badass
Badass Rumble
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble
Turf Wars
Kenka Bancho: Turf War
Bancho Royale
Fist of the Bancho
Rise of the Bancho

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 07 July 2009 - 07:02 PM.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#2 Nibi

Nibi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

Rivercity Ransomesque
Current Hypewagon pick-
Spoiler

#3 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

Fuck yeah. Super happy to hear this!

This is a pretty damn good PSP game. I played the Japanese demo (you can get it off the JPN PSN) and it's really a nice take on japanese school bullying and social life. The presentation kicks ass as well (hard to tell in screens but in motion it's good).

#4 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

Kenka Bancho has been a popular series among importers, so I'm glad to see that Atlus is bringing it over. The third one is a good one to start with, since it was kind of a reboot for the series. It has been described as kind of a "successor to River City Ransom," which is somewhat accurate to an extent (School gang-based beat-em-up, open-world, shops)*. Perhaps what is most interesting about this one is the amount of customization you can get, as you can change fine details of your character's look, moveset, animations, and combos.

As for the name, two seem to click with me, Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble and Kenka Bancho: Turf Wars.

* Kenka Bancho 3 starts off the same way as one of the SNES Kunio-kun games, where your character gets off a train for a school trip and is immediately challenged by a local gang.

#5 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:52 PM

Yeah I remember in japan they ran a screenshot contest where you would dress up your characters and try to get interesting shots of things happening.

#6 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:33 PM

I feel sad that in the survey they made you take that there was no Bancho Brawl or "Other" where I could type in my own. Do they seriously think anyone is going to seriously vote for names like Bancho Royale? Same with the name "Badass" (I think it was?) which was pretty retarded as is and I could see it getting most of the votes just because of the name.

#7 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

Tokyo Beat Down: High School Edition?

Captain Pancake Ruins Your Shit?

I'm sorry, I just...really want a game where the title begins with "Captain Pancake."

How about just BARF!

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#8 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

I remember years ago on the official Atlus boards some people were bitching to get the PS2 games localized. I remembered it as "that eye laser game." I didn't think it would ever happen. At the time they were also pushing for Metal Saga... and that one didn't turn out so well.

#9 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

I'm sorry, I just...really want a game where the title begins with "Captain Pancake."

Maybe you'll get your wish if they ever make a new Marl Kingdom game.

#10 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

I voted for Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble. Im hoping this will be a lot like River City Ransom. I liked the EX port but would kill for a better save system and updated menu interface.

black_swan_movie-640x120.jpg

"I was perfect....

#11 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:04 PM

I voted for Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble. Im hoping this will be a lot like River City Ransom. I liked the EX port but would kill for a better save system and updated menu interface.

I voted for the same name.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#12 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

Guys.. other than the setting and a few brawler aspects this game plays nothing like River City. It's a drama beat-em-up.

Just download the demo if you are curious.

#13 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

I voted for Kenka Bancho. Didnt think Badass Rumble is necessary

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#14 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble was the overwhelming winner of the poll:

Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today revealed the name fans and members of the Atlus Faithful overwhelmingly threw their support behind for the publisher's upcoming Japanese beat 'em up for PSP® system: Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble™.

"The title 'Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble' perfectly suits the gameplay style, attitude, and humor that PSP owners can look forward to when the over-the-top brawler arrives early next year," said Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales for Atlus. "The game is about demonstrating to your rivals that you are the ultimate badass. This is accomplished, unsurprisingly, by burying your fists and feet into the faces and/or guts of your foes. The title was voted in by a 3-to-1 margin, which means that fans strongly felt it was the best fit for the game, or, that they all giggled uncontrollably at the sight of the word 'badass'. Either way, everybody wins, except of course for the titles not chosen."

#15 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

Despite being initially announced for release next year, Kenka Bancho will be out on November 10, 2009, which is a nice surprise.

#16 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

http://www.giantbomb...rumble/17-1405/

The guys at Giant Bomb did a quick look on the game, which looks pretty cool for as weird as it is. The combat looks like it's a bit tedious though.

#17 Chibi_Kaji

Chibi_Kaji

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:52 PM

Yeah, it looks it could be a decent pick up if it was a $20 game.... instead of $40. Honestly I'm not sure what Atlus is thinking with this game.
"People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children." - Bill Watterson

Posted Image

#18 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

http://playstation.j...-a-psp-release/

There is a remake of the original Kenka Bancho coming to the PSP in Japan along with a new game, so there should be more fodder for Atlus if Badass Rumble does well enough.

I must have forgotten to post this here, but my review for this can be found here. If you want a summary, it's good, but not exactly worth $40. Took about 9 hours or so to beat it, so it's not a terribly long game unless you're into replaying it a lot.