From what I can see on Google, the first two were on the PS2 and I'm guessing that those never came to the US, so this might be our first taste of this series. Joystiq has a trailer for the game when its release date was announced for the PSP.
Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today revealed that it has secured the publishing rights to Kenka Bancho 3™, a Japanese beat'em up for PSP® system. The game, which puts players in the role of a high school student on a class trip to a historic Japanese city, includes no shortage of fist-to-face and knee-to-gut action, and all in the name of pride and bragging rights.
In an unprecedented move for the publisher, Atlus will look to fan input in the process of choosing a title for the game's North American release.
"Kenka Bancho 3 is a terrific brawler with all the action and humor PSP system owners crave," said Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales for Atlus. "That said, the game is also called Kenka Bancho 3, which, without translation, may not be the most intuitive title for non-Japanese speaking gamers. Therefore, we're going to open things up for our fans to help us pick the game's new North American title. We wouldn't be in this situation if my suggestion for the title, Buncha Banchos, had been accepted," Jabbari added quickly with a nervous chuckle, "but you know, whatever."
Kenka Bancho 3 is scheduled for release in early 2010.
Fans can contribute to the naming process via the survey link below:
From the survey:
Kenka Bancho 3 for PSP system, coming early next year, puts players in the role of a high school student on a class trip to a historic Japanese city, and includes no shortage of fist-to-face and knee-to-gut action... all in the name of pride and bragging rights.
"So what does 'Kenka Bancho' mean?" you suddenly ask. Good question! "Bancho" is a Japanese term for someone who's in charge because he's the meanest, toughest, strongest dude around.
"Kenka" means "fighting," making the entire title the equivalent of "Awesome Master of Badass Beating-Up-People Guys." (You can see why we need your help here.) So, in short, the game is all about you proving yourself as the baddest hombre in town, accomplished by putting your fist as ungently as possible into the faces and guts of your opponents.
Other features and gameplay aspects of note:
- Choose your prefecture and take on over 47 bancho rivals on your quest to be Japan's #1 bancho!
- Find new hand-to-hand fighting techniques by trashing punks all over town!
- Earn hidden awards for discovering a variety of playing styles!
- Discover hidden events and characters!
- New Game+ your way to the ultimate beatdowns!
- Play it your way - participate in the storyline or explore the city while beating up thugs for the limited time you have on vacation. It's up to you!
- Make your own bancho with hundreds of clothing, hair, and facial combinations!
- Stock up on a wide variety of weapons and items!
- Take a friend along and share the pain with the 2-player cooperative mode!
Everybody up! (Japanese version)
Shocking! (Japanese version)
My eye beams will destroy you. (Japanese version)
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble
Kenka Bancho: Turf War
Fist of the Bancho
Rise of the Bancho
Edited by FriskyTanuki, 07 July 2009 - 07:02 PM.