CAGcast #166: Wang Control

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Ghostbusters, Battlefield 1943 and Punisher: No Mercy are on the virtual plate this week, along with game shopping and industry news, new releases, your CAGbag questions and so much more!

[podcast]73[/podcast]
Download - 99 minutes, 40MB
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photo

Bonus Videos
Tai's Favorite Video Games: Railfan (PS3)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at the bonus pictures as the CAGcast is downloading, and I hope there is an explanation why a tattered pair of underwear is displayed. :D

Just thought I'd mention with regard to Ghostbusters, apparently the game couldn't afford (didn't want to pay for) to license the entire Ghostbusters theme, and that's why you were forced to sit through the beginning 20 seconds of the track over and over and over.

Great cast thus far though.

Wombat, you're forgetting that the GameCube controllers also lacked a select button AND something overlooked but important, which is also something Wii analog sticks lack, which are the clickable sticks, which are often (especially in shooters) used as buttons (more often than not for crouching and melee).

LittleBigPlanet had something similar to what Ratchet & Clank is doing (I'm guessing this is what Cheapy was thinking of). But eventually, the two main pre-order items (The Kratos costume and Nariko costume) came out as DLC packs. The latter being the rarer and more desired, although it eventually came out cheaper.

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Ghostbusters, Battlefield 1943
signature_singh.jpg
:)

It's a combination of testicle acid (aka ball sweat) that weakens the fabric and the resulting claw marks are a result of ball scratching and poorly kept nails.

also way to put a pic of blue balls right next to that pic.

On the Nintendo name thing, i think their name is the only thing that saved them from doing any worse with the gamecube.

Just listened, great episode as always, you two seemed more "into" the show this week then the last couple. I still want to hear your famous moving story Cheapy! You better get to that next week...or else.

Cheapy, I guess you're new nickname is "Razor pubes".

Do you send your laundry out, or do it yourself at home? Is it all the same brand that is shredded in the crotch?

Nice underwear picture Cheapy!! You need to remove the underwear before you manscape down here, this will keep you from cutting your underwear.

Really though, stop digging and scratching your sack, and your underwear will remain in tact.

OMG, Cheapy, a Levitz reference! i actually went to that store when i was a kid. it's gone now. memories~

btw, is Shipwreck so busy with reviews that he has no time for the CAG Foreplay shows anymore? i miss the Foreplay and i would like to hear Shippy's comments about a game he reviewed with Mrs. Shipwreck chiming in.

and yes Cheapy, i'm a jerkoff too. i paid $50 for Live because i forgot about the renewal date and they renewed before i could get the code cheaper elsewhere.

last but not least, about the Ratchet preorder bonuses: Wombat, you are 100% correct sir! i cannot agree with you more. it was such a disaster when it was announced.

Don't be a jackass, Cheapy. You don't need an iPhone 3GS. It's a very small upgrade. Wait for next year's model, which will come out in 11 short months.

Use that money on something else... like coming to PAX! Use the "Mr. Mom needs to get out more or he'll go nuts" angle with your wife. Take Tai down to OG on the shinkansen and fly to Seattle out of the Kansai airport.

Re: Battlefield 1943. This is because EA insists on using their own shitty matchmaking servers. They got the right to do that back in the Xbox Live early days because they were by far the biggest game publisher. But we saw the same problems with Orange Box Team Fortress and other games. They also have a habit of shutting down the servers for older games. Somthing the Xbox Live servers have never done.

[quote name='iPhone']1. Collect Cheapy's underwear.
2. Slash holes in them.
3. ???
4. Profit![/QUOTE]Are they cut with his razor sharp pubes? That was thing that had me laughing the most.

As for the Burn Notice pilot...I agree with Wombat, that you really don't need to see it first. I hooked on to the show around episode 3-4, and had no problem following things.

Feel free to watch it later, if only to hear Fiona's Irish accent (which disappears after the pilot).

Cheapy, I like how you managed to take a picture of your holy underwear while you are still wearing them, your legs are in the shot. And the only way you need the new iphone is if you have $400 burning a hole in your pocket, all your other arguments for getting it are invalidated by the fact that you work from home and don't go anywhere and have ready access to a real camera or camcorder. btw Wombat, there is something seriously wrong with that show Yo Gaba Gaba and I'm not just talking about the flaming gay guy in orange. One more thing, in those 4 hrs of the FDR documentary, did they mention that he was a 33rd degree Freemason and put the pyramid with the all seeing eye of Ra on the back of the $1 dollar bill and other crazy shit, or did they say he was a good guy? Good show fellas.

[quote name='bjkrautk']As for the Burn Notice pilot...I agree with Wombat, that you really don't need to see it first. I hooked on to the show around episode 3-4, and had no problem following things.

Feel free to watch it later, if only to hear Fiona's Irish accent (which disappears after the pilot).[/QUOTE]

the Geekbox podcast pimps Burn Notice soooo much.

you know Cheapy that happens to mine as well, and i still haven't figured it out, the tears look exactly identical, must be underwear gnomes

Cheapy, I like how you managed to take a picture of your holy underwear while you are still wearing them, your legs are in the shot. And the only way you need the new iphone is if you have $400 burning a hole in your pocket, all your other arguments for getting it are invalidated by the fact that you work from home and don't go anywhere and have ready access to a real camera or camcorder. btw Wombat, there is something seriously wrong with that show Yo Gaba Gaba and I'm not just talking about the flaming gay guy in orange. One more thing, in those 4 hrs of the FDR documentary, did they mention that he was a 33rd degree Freemason and put the pyramid with the all seeing eye of Ra on the back of the $1 dollar bill and other crazy shit, or did they say he was a just a good guy? Good show fellas.

If I had to hazard a guess, Cheapy snapped that picture of his shorts with his iPhone while sitting on his hi-tech toilet, taking a shit.:applause:

The more I listen to your podcast the more I think we must be related, except I am Hispanic and I am not a Jew. But between Cheepy’s black underwear comment and Wambat purchasing a “real” bedroom set for the first time sound a lot like my life. Maybe our lives are just on similar timeline (my daughter turning 18 months) but I feel as if I really relate to the two of you. Between your movie, TV show, and gaming *cough*360overPS3*cough* preferences, I am amazed about how much I have I common with the two of you. So please continue your fart, poop, and wang jokes with the peppering of video game info here and there, I always enjoy listening to the shows, it is nice to know I am not the only perverted loser in the world.

Question for Wambat, does DJ Lance (FromYo Gabba Gabba) work in your office? If so can you get me an autograph for my daughter?

p.s. I heard the Palm Pre is developing an app for Xbox’s Project Natal, it is going to be called the Pre-Natal.

[quote name='Ronin559']

p.s. I heard the Palm Pre is developing an app for Xbox’s Project Natal, it is going to be called the Pre-Natal.[/QUOTE]

No that project got aborted.

You're thinking about getting an iPhone 3GS while you're walking around with underwear with holes? Priceless.

Underwear > new phone. Trust me your balls will appreciate it.

Burn Notice is such a cheesy/corny show. I think the pilot was about the only good episode. If you couldn't stand Heroes after the first season I dont think you'll like this show.

Bill Cosby says, "You should pass on getting the new iPhone and just wait to upgrade next year."

Good show this week.

When my daughter was about 2.5 years old and started playing simple flash games (Wubbzy, Peep, etc.) I decided it was time for a real video game. Wanting to instill an appreciation of video game roots, I started her out with SMB. She actually kind of liked it, but it was too hard for her. They require a lot of perfectly timed jumps which she couldn't handle. Then I moved her to Mario 64, which was a lot better. She could run around and explore with less fear of dying or falling off a cliff. After that she really got into Spyro: A Dragon's Tale on PS2. Easier 3D platformers like that are the way to go with kids. They helped her learn video game logic and got her comfortable with the controller. Now she's 5 and she can more than hold her own with me in Lego games and lots of others too. We play Castle Crashers (she LOVES the pooping deer), Rock Band, The Maw, and The Force Unleashed a lot. Her favorite game right now is Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

My son is two and has mastered building robots on Noggin's Wow Wow Wubbzy game. He's going to be a video game nut, I can tell already. That's good because it gives me an excuse to buy more games.

Cheapy, you were way too busy being a fanboy to get your facts straight on the GameCube. The GameCube was second only to the Xbox power wise. If you don't believe me, look at the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 compared to the GameCube version.* 64% of the GameCube's games on MetaCritic scored 80% or above. The 360 only has 24% of its games at 80 or above.** People ignored the GameCube not because the games were bad, they ignored it because they thought it was too kiddie. Because the hardcore gamers ignored Nintendo last generation, this time Nintendo is ignoring the hardcore gamers more than they did last generation.

How can the GameCube's controller be terrible when the Xbox 360 controller is almost entirely a rip-off of it? The GameCube button layout is better and it has pressure sensitive shoulder buttons.*** The only thing the 360 controller does better is the analog sticks and the left bumper.

Cheapy, remember playing Wii Sports for the first time? It was a gimmick, but it was fun for a little while. You should play Wii Sports Resort.

Wombat, can you give a specific example of a game that had controls that had to be changed for the GameCube?

Sources:
CAGcast #166 (1:00:04 - 1:08:24)
[quote name='IGN']*there have been sacrifices on the PS2...Textures have been dumbed down and lighting, a relatively big player, is not quite as impressive. [/QUOTE]
**Are Games Getting Worse? (as of late February 2009)
51CdKCZnG3L_SS400_.jpg
simxb360_wireless_screen1.jpg

BILL COSBY!

Thank you guys for railing against the moronic various pre-order deals spread around several stores. I'm not one who pays attention to these things as I rarely pre-order, but I noticed that Ghostbusters did a similar thing to people who pre-ordered/bought early. I bought it as a spur of the moment deal on day one, get home from Gamestop, and go online and read:

• Preorder from Best Buy and play as The Mayor or Smoker Zombie Ghoul!
  • Preorder from Wal-Mart and hunt ghosts in style with a solid gold proton pack!
My bonus from GS allowed me to play in the darker gray Ghostbuster suit from GBII, and the download code didn't even work! The whole thing is idiotic, and I'm not even sure that I can even unlock the two other bonuses.

GODDAMMIT! I PAID FULL PRICE FOR THIS AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE EVERYTHING!?! ARRGARAAGARAHHH, BILL COSBY!!!

IMO, Natal and whatever Sony calls their thing are going to need new gametypes for things to really make sense for the "hardcore" gamers.

However, Natal at least has one interesting thing that it might be able to do to integrate with more hardcore games would be to use a standard controller and add head tracking. Cheapy mentioned it in passing, but check this video to see what could be a cool use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2. I had a Nintendo employee lecture me about it after I wrongfully assumed the GC was the weakest of the generation.

[quote name='Doomed']
Wombat, can you give a specific example of a game that had controls that had to be changed for the GameCube?

S
51CdKCZnG3L_SS400_.jpg
simxb360_wireless_screen1.jpg

BILL COSBY![/QUOTE]

The game that sticks out for me is always "From Russia With Love" they had to tack on some silly auto aim that wasn't on the xbox and ps2. I never said the layout was the issue, its that lack of a left button. Also it was mentioned, no clickable analogs or select button. Most 3rd party games used that LB, it was a hinderance for the gamecube. For the record I loved the face button layout of the cube, it was everything else.

[quote name='Wombat']The game that sticks out for me is always "From Russia With Love" they had to tack on some silly auto aim that wasn't on the xbox and ps2. I never said the layout was the issue, its that lack of a left button. Also it was mentioned, no clickable analogs or select button. Most 3rd party games used that LB, it was a hinderance for the gamecube. For the record I loved the face button layout of the cube, it was everything else.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely hated the button placement on the Gamecube. My man thumbs always had a hard time hitting the tiny B button without accidentally also pressing the A button.

Seriously, manscaping and skidmarks in the same episode? Definitely a new low, I mean high. A new high.

And that POV pix of your undies? Holy crap. A new low.

I had a Jewish classmate from Long Island named Joline Lebowitz who had a theory that all Jewish guys have the same sized penis.

Wombat's Bill Cosby voice:

The GC had great 3rd party support at first so I don't think the lack of a few buttons was the reason the GC didn't take off. But 3rd party support waned once the Xbox established itself and the GC dropped to 3rd place in the clone console wars. The Xbox had Halo, pc developers and MS's moneybags behind it. The Xbox also differentiated itself with online play after a year or two. The GC had none.

And the GC had that "kid perception." It looked like a lunchbox.

I think the choice for most folks became PS2 or Xbox. Ps2 was the mainstream choice. It had the DVD player. It had the core games and the kid's games. It had the mainstream stuff. The Xbox was the core choice.

The stigma of the GC continued into the Wii era. No developer thought the Wii was going to be #1, outsell the PS3 and 360 combined for the most part and be the fastest selling console in history. No one saw this coming. Most folks laughed at the lack of power in the machine. And thought it would flop.

And hence 3rd party adoption was nearly zero out of the gate.

Most 3rd party developers of the games you guys like were committed to the hi-def platforms. And so were many of the core gamers. For one thing the 360 came out a year early. The perception amongst gaming media is difficult for the Wii to overcome for gamers and for publishers.

And perception becomes reality.

When no one took a chance on the Wii early on with a AAA fps game, none got made and thus the perception that it wasn't for these types of games takes hold and you have none of these big budget games on the Wii to this day.

There is also some truth that the western audience has a difficult time realizing that new gaming experiences don't need better graphics. I think the Japanese have an easier time understanding this while, in the West, folks look at 2 games and automatically assume the one that looks better is the better game.

Anyway I am disappointed that the Wii hasn't received even one AAA third party fps game.

IT looks like it will probably end up the occassional machine for the core gamer as you guys said.

I don't think that means the controls aren't the future for the core gamer. I'm not saying the wiimote is perfect. The button placement/layout good be better for the core gamer. (For example, imagine say the GC controller's button layout in place of the dpad on the wiimote. Much better access for the gamer gamer. Or imagine an analog stick on the wiimote in addition to the one on the nunchuk. Move/strafe with one stick. Look/turn with the other. And the fast point and shoot of the wiimote. And no doubt you could add clickable thumbsticks and another button or two.)

But the shooting mechanism of the wiimote is much closer to the mouse and inherently faster than an analog stick. Thus I really fail to see how that type of controller won't overtake the gamepad eventually on the other systems even though Wombat won't be able to adapt to it.

Good show. I nearly listened twice. After hearing your discussing of Call of Juarez 2, I think I'm on board to pick it up. It's too bad it doesn't allow for co-op, sounds like it would be the perfect game for it. I didn't play the first game, but I think I'll take Cheapy's advice and play game 2 first then play the first one as a "sequel" of sorts. here's to gunslinging action !

bread's done
Back