CAGcast #166: Wang Control

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#31 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

You're thinking about getting an iPhone 3GS while you're walking around with underwear with holes? Priceless.

Underwear > new phone. Trust me your balls will appreciate it.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#32 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

Burn Notice is such a cheesy/corny show. I think the pilot was about the only good episode. If you couldn't stand Heroes after the first season I dont think you'll like this show.

#33 spoo

spoo

Wood for your sheep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

Bill Cosby says, "You should pass on getting the new iPhone and just wait to upgrade next year."

Good show this week.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Cos by Ozzkev55 | Cock by OTM
The original CAGaming lagoon thread.

#34 Clarke

Clarke

The Pretender

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

Doth my ears deceive me? CheapyD considering a gaming PC?!

Posted Image

#35 spineynorman

spineynorman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

When my daughter was about 2.5 years old and started playing simple flash games (Wubbzy, Peep, etc.) I decided it was time for a real video game. Wanting to instill an appreciation of video game roots, I started her out with SMB. She actually kind of liked it, but it was too hard for her. They require a lot of perfectly timed jumps which she couldn't handle. Then I moved her to Mario 64, which was a lot better. She could run around and explore with less fear of dying or falling off a cliff. After that she really got into Spyro: A Dragon's Tale on PS2. Easier 3D platformers like that are the way to go with kids. They helped her learn video game logic and got her comfortable with the controller. Now she's 5 and she can more than hold her own with me in Lego games and lots of others too. We play Castle Crashers (she LOVES the pooping deer), Rock Band, The Maw, and The Force Unleashed a lot. Her favorite game right now is Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

My son is two and has mastered building robots on Noggin's Wow Wow Wubbzy game. He's going to be a video game nut, I can tell already. That's good because it gives me an excuse to buy more games.

#36 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

Cheapy, you were way too busy being a fanboy to get your facts straight on the GameCube. The GameCube was second only to the Xbox power wise. If you don't believe me, look at the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 compared to the GameCube version.* 64% of the GameCube's games on MetaCritic scored 80% or above. The 360 only has 24% of its games at 80 or above.** People ignored the GameCube not because the games were bad, they ignored it because they thought it was too kiddie. Because the hardcore gamers ignored Nintendo last generation, this time Nintendo is ignoring the hardcore gamers more than they did last generation.

How can the GameCube's controller be terrible when the Xbox 360 controller is almost entirely a rip-off of it? The GameCube button layout is better and it has pressure sensitive shoulder buttons.*** The only thing the 360 controller does better is the analog sticks and the left bumper.

Cheapy, remember playing Wii Sports for the first time? It was a gimmick, but it was fun for a little while. You should play Wii Sports Resort.

Wombat, can you give a specific example of a game that had controls that had to be changed for the GameCube?

Sources:
CAGcast #166 (1:00:04 - 1:08:24)

*there have been sacrifices on the PS2...Textures have been dumbed down and lighting, a relatively big player, is not quite as impressive.

**Are Games Getting Worse? (as of late February 2009)
Posted Image Posted Image
BILL COSBY!

sig.gif

#37 MIGGO

MIGGO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

Thank you guys for railing against the moronic various pre-order deals spread around several stores. I'm not one who pays attention to these things as I rarely pre-order, but I noticed that Ghostbusters did a similar thing to people who pre-ordered/bought early. I bought it as a spur of the moment deal on day one, get home from Gamestop, and go online and read:

• Preorder from Best Buy and play as The Mayor or Smoker Zombie Ghoul!
  • Preorder from Wal-Mart and hunt ghosts in style with a solid gold proton pack!
My bonus from GS allowed me to play in the darker gray Ghostbuster suit from GBII, and the download code didn't even work! The whole thing is idiotic, and I'm not even sure that I can even unlock the two other bonuses.

GODDAMMIT! I PAID FULL PRICE FOR THIS AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE EVERYTHING!?! ARRGARAAGARAHHH, BILL COSBY!!!

#38 MannishBoy

MannishBoy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:43 PM

IMO, Natal and whatever Sony calls their thing are going to need new gametypes for things to really make sense for the "hardcore" gamers.

However, Natal at least has one interesting thing that it might be able to do to integrate with more hardcore games would be to use a standard controller and add head tracking. Cheapy mentioned it in passing, but check this video to see what could be a cool use:

#39 Alcedes

Alcedes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

upgrade your phone, better videos and pictures on your blog.

#40 ArrestedDeveloper

ArrestedDeveloper

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2. I had a Nintendo employee lecture me about it after I wrongfully assumed the GC was the weakest of the generation.

#41 Jest

Jest

Take this!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:57 PM

Speaking of bets, have you guys settled the MGS4 vs ??? sales bet?

#42 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:29 AM

Wombat, can you give a specific example of a game that had controls that had to be changed for the GameCube?

S
Posted Image Posted Image
BILL COSBY!

The game that sticks out for me is always "From Russia With Love" they had to tack on some silly auto aim that wasn't on the xbox and ps2. I never said the layout was the issue, its that lack of a left button. Also it was mentioned, no clickable analogs or select button. Most 3rd party games used that LB, it was a hinderance for the gamecube. For the record I loved the face button layout of the cube, it was everything else.

#43 spoo

spoo

Wood for your sheep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:00 AM

The game that sticks out for me is always "From Russia With Love" they had to tack on some silly auto aim that wasn't on the xbox and ps2. I never said the layout was the issue, its that lack of a left button. Also it was mentioned, no clickable analogs or select button. Most 3rd party games used that LB, it was a hinderance for the gamecube. For the record I loved the face button layout of the cube, it was everything else.

I absolutely hated the button placement on the Gamecube. My man thumbs always had a hard time hitting the tiny B button without accidentally also pressing the A button.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Cos by Ozzkev55 | Cock by OTM
The original CAGaming lagoon thread.

#44 Cursor

Cursor

Livin' a CAG paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:54 AM

Man, I just found the perfect intro for the next CAGcast:

By the way, I question the quality of your underwear's manufacture. You need something built to stand up to your disgusting American farts.

Target sells some fine boxers. http://www.target.co...se=1&rh=&page=1

Cheapy, you want some, send me an address and your size. (seriously)

Edited by Cursor, 10 July 2009 - 03:21 AM.

#45 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:05 AM

Seriously, manscaping and skidmarks in the same episode? Definitely a new low, I mean high. A new high.

And that POV pix of your undies? Holy crap. A new low.

I had a Jewish classmate from Long Island named Joline Lebowitz who had a theory that all Jewish guys have the same sized penis.

#46 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:51 AM

Wombat's Bill Cosby voice:

The GC had great 3rd party support at first so I don't think the lack of a few buttons was the reason the GC didn't take off. But 3rd party support waned once the Xbox established itself and the GC dropped to 3rd place in the clone console wars. The Xbox had Halo, pc developers and MS's moneybags behind it. The Xbox also differentiated itself with online play after a year or two. The GC had none.

And the GC had that "kid perception." It looked like a lunchbox.

I think the choice for most folks became PS2 or Xbox. Ps2 was the mainstream choice. It had the DVD player. It had the core games and the kid's games. It had the mainstream stuff. The Xbox was the core choice.

The stigma of the GC continued into the Wii era. No developer thought the Wii was going to be #1, outsell the PS3 and 360 combined for the most part and be the fastest selling console in history. No one saw this coming. Most folks laughed at the lack of power in the machine. And thought it would flop.

And hence 3rd party adoption was nearly zero out of the gate.

Most 3rd party developers of the games you guys like were committed to the hi-def platforms. And so were many of the core gamers. For one thing the 360 came out a year early. The perception amongst gaming media is difficult for the Wii to overcome for gamers and for publishers.

And perception becomes reality.

When no one took a chance on the Wii early on with a AAA fps game, none got made and thus the perception that it wasn't for these types of games takes hold and you have none of these big budget games on the Wii to this day.

There is also some truth that the western audience has a difficult time realizing that new gaming experiences don't need better graphics. I think the Japanese have an easier time understanding this while, in the West, folks look at 2 games and automatically assume the one that looks better is the better game.

Anyway I am disappointed that the Wii hasn't received even one AAA third party fps game.

IT looks like it will probably end up the occassional machine for the core gamer as you guys said.

I don't think that means the controls aren't the future for the core gamer. I'm not saying the wiimote is perfect. The button placement/layout good be better for the core gamer. (For example, imagine say the GC controller's button layout in place of the dpad on the wiimote. Much better access for the gamer gamer. Or imagine an analog stick on the wiimote in addition to the one on the nunchuk. Move/strafe with one stick. Look/turn with the other. And the fast point and shoot of the wiimote. And no doubt you could add clickable thumbsticks and another button or two.)

But the shooting mechanism of the wiimote is much closer to the mouse and inherently faster than an analog stick. Thus I really fail to see how that type of controller won't overtake the gamepad eventually on the other systems even though Wombat won't be able to adapt to it.

Edited by trip1eX, 10 July 2009 - 05:02 AM.

#47 PacManster17

PacManster17

Nonstop gaming marathons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

Good show. I nearly listened twice. After hearing your discussing of Call of Juarez 2, I think I'm on board to pick it up. It's too bad it doesn't allow for co-op, sounds like it would be the perfect game for it. I didn't play the first game, but I think I'll take Cheapy's advice and play game 2 first then play the first one as a "sequel" of sorts. here's to gunslinging action !
Posted Image

Spoiler

#48 soccerstud652

soccerstud652

J-E-T-S JETSJETSJETS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:04 AM

What was the turn based strategy game Wombat mentioned after the rocket game?
My eBay link.
I am PayPal verified and have 100% feedback since June 2004.

#49 ares04

ares04

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

Cheapy, I say get the iphone 3G S. You are in a very unique financial position that few people can understand. You have a large amount of disposable income for someone your age. Most people your age spend most, if not all of their paychecks on bills.

If you feel having a iphone 3G S will make you more productive (as in you producing more posted pics/videos on CAG), I say BUY the damn phone.

Yeah, it's $400 but if you use it to grow CAG it's almost like a investment in your business.

#50 Achuba Nanoia

Achuba Nanoia

Tropical arctic fox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:03 AM

Excellent show, thank you guys!

I envy Cheapy: I haven't really played a game in the last two weeks, I'm swamped with work.
The most difficult game of all is life: 1up, no pause, no save-feature, no strategy guide. Just pray you can get someone to play co-op.

#51 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

What was the turn based strategy game Wombat mentioned after the rocket game?

I'm going to guess that it was Band of Bugs for XBLA. I'm going to have a review up for the Avatar stuff and the new Kaloki add-on in the next few days.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#52 thakingrocka

thakingrocka

El Profesor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

my undies and jeans rip in the same or a similar manner in the crotch. we may be doing the same thing wrong, but it's not shaving 'cause i don't do that. it may be being fat.

#53 goodybear

goodybear

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

Cheapy,
you say you don't have a PC, but don't your intel imac have boot camp and parallels VM.
I installed Windows Vista on my imac and it works just fine.

Also, I would buy the iPhone 3Gs and sell your old one eBay.
It's a great device for live blogging.

Edited by evil_twin, 10 July 2009 - 03:07 PM.

#54 Clarke

Clarke

The Pretender

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

Cheapy,
you say you don't have a PC, but don't your imac have boot camp and parallels VM.
I installed Windows Vista on my imac and it works just fine.

He did say he actually wanted to play games though.

Posted Image

#55 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

just figured it out, Cheapy's underwear splits because he has a giant wang and morning wood probably stretched it quite a bit. lol

Edited by LiK, 10 July 2009 - 05:00 PM.

63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#56 soccerstud652

soccerstud652

J-E-T-S JETSJETSJETS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

I'm going to guess that it was Band of Bugs for XBLA. I'm going to have a review up for the Avatar stuff and the new Kaloki add-on in the next few days.

Sounds good, thanks Ship! I have really enjoyed your influx of reviews lately.
My eBay link.
I am PayPal verified and have 100% feedback since June 2004.

#57 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

Pre-order bonuses are stupid especially when you are forced to miss out on in game content.

That doesn't excuse pirating the game.

-ZJ

#58 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

No 4th shoulder button, no Select button and non-clickable sticks meant the GC pad had 4 fewer buttons than the Xbox pad and the Dual Shock 2.

Of course, the Xbox pad suffered in comparison to the Dual Shock 2 because it only had 2 shoulder buttons. This made a game like SSX 3 play better on the PS2 even if it looked a little worse, and Winning Eleven is so heavily designed around a 4 shoulder button control pad that I bought a Dreambox converter so I could use play it on the Xbox with a Dual Shock.

Thankfully MS changed WHITE & BLACK to LB & RB for the 360 pad.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#59 blacksanta87

blacksanta87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:42 PM

Really cheapy, DO NOT BUY the 3Gs. Save your frickin Money Man. You guys should really consider changing the name of the website, or at the very least the podcast to "Xpensive Jew gamer" .

Sure the new Iphone has a better camera but what will WE! the cag listeners get out of it? A 30 second Ds game review while your taking a Dump? Lookin REAL forward to those toilet reviews cheapy. But Oh wait.. it's all about you right? (bows to space pimp)

BILLCOSBY! :whee:
(CAG RULES)

Pigtails are for face Fucking.

#60 SuxoR

SuxoR

What choice did I have?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:52 AM

Oh man hearing the part were they talk about the GC and why they thought it didn't do as well made me cry

1xz7eo.gif